• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I just put on "Cloud Atlas" after I read with astonishment how much CC hates the score over at Filmtracks. (Look at the board!) I really value his judgement but I can't follow him here. Sure, the score is no masterwork, but it's an OK score with some really nice moments IMHO.

Maybe he hates the subject matter of the film and that is clouding his judgment?
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. I haven't heard CA yet (waiting to see the film first) but I'm a big fan of the Tykwer/Klimek/Heil combo. PERFUME is a fantastic film score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was supposed to see CLOUD ATLAS yesterday, but I had a doctor's appointment that got in the way.

I've deliberately steered away from any info and reviews (including the music) because I want to see and hear with as fresh eyes and ears as possible.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    Captain Future wrote
    I just put on "Cloud Atlas" after I read with astonishment how much CC hates the score over at Filmtracks. (Look at the board!) I really value his judgement but I can't follow him here. Sure, the score is no masterwork, but it's an OK score with some really nice moments IMHO.

'It's a shallow understanding that makes it become simplistic'. I like that saying though I should point out I'm not suggesting CC is 'shallow', everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    I haven't heard CA yet (waiting to see the film first) but I'm a big fan of the Tykwer/Klimek/Heil combo. PERFUME is a fantastic film score.

I think it's an astonishing score, I love it. The film is good too.
  2. Just speaking up for those who aren't over the moon about the cloud atlas score. I like the theme, particularly in its les kesselring rendition, and I hear the influence of Alexander desplat throughout even if the trio are no match for him as orchestrators. But the connective tissue isn't strong enough to merit multiple listens for me and the heArt of the score, the sextet, doesn't capture what the novel was getting at with that piece. Nonetheless I hope the film works and the score works in it. It may be a better score for the film than the novel.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIEN - Jerry Goldsmith

Genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MEN IN BLACK III (Danny Elfman)

It just arrived. I don't know....a bit too much melodramatic mickey-mousing for my taste. Never been a big fan of the MIB scores, even though the theme is awesome and I kinda like the MIB2 album. And it's great that Elfman finally made a trilogy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    But the connective tissue isn't strong enough to merit multiple listens for me and the heArt of the score, the sextet, doesn't capture what the novel was getting at with that piece.

Shouldn't the piece capture what the film is getting at?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    I don't give a rats ass how simple the music maybe be. If it moves emotionally then it's doing its job. For instance, BT's Monster. Seems like rather simple score but it's one of the rare scores written in the last 10-15 years that continuously brings me to tears.

Cloud Atlas, while I haven't seen the film so I don't know how it works in context, give me butterflies in my stomach. I get a genuine and pleasing emotional reaction out of Tykwer, Heil and Klimick's music and that's alright with me.

-Erik-

It is breathtaking; those who've seen the film say it's even better; it's coherent, musically meaningful and contains some of the most amazing themes written for film this year. Brilliant.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - the thin red line

What a mindblowingly good score, a once-in-a-lifetime moment for Zimmer it seems. Amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ False. I can name a good handful of mindblowing Zimmer scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Like ttrl? Very close yes, but imo not equal to ttrl.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    But the connective tissue isn't strong enough to merit multiple listens for me and the heArt of the score, the sextet, doesn't capture what the novel was getting at with that piece.

-Erik-

That's a great point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Like ttrl? Very close yes, but imo not equal to ttrl.

Ok... now you are changing the parameters. Has he ever written a score in the style of The Thin Red Line before... I'm not a Zimmer expert but I'm guess no but reaction to your Zimmer once in a life time mind-blowing score comment I disagree with you strongly.

So, which one is it?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    He never said Zimmer has no other mind-blowingly good scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Let's read his statement again shall we.

"What a mindblowingly good score, a once-in-a-lifetime moment for Zimmer it seems."

So what exactly does "once-in-a-lifetime moment" mean? Does that mean it happens all the time or just once?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

What a mindblowingly good score, a once-in-a-lifetime moment for Zimmer it seems. Amazing.

It doesn't come close to BEYOND RANGOON for me (my alltime favourite Zimmer), but it most definitely is in my Top 5 Zimmers.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    oh noes, a Zimmer discussion.

:coat: >>>
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I'd say Empire Strikes Back is a once-in-a-lifetime moment for John Williams, certainly doesn't mean JW has not written any other mindblowingly good scores.

"Once-in-a-lifetime moment" and "mindblowingly good score" are both referring to TTRL, not each other. He just means TTRL is unique. I hope I don't need to grammatically analyze this sentence further...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It most definitely is unique, yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Demetris wrote

I agree this is his best score (or it is better to say my favorite).
    The question is: He will compose another score as good as this one?
    The answer is : probably not.
  3. In Demetris's view "The Thin Red Line" is the best score, Zimmer has ever written, or so I read it.

My favourite Zimmer score - by the way - is "Rain Man", rivaled only by "A World Apart".

And "Video Killed the Radio Star". Which isn't a score. But what do I care?

The early, early, early Zimmer rules!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    I'd say Empire Strikes Back is a once-in-a-lifetime moment for John Williams, certainly doesn't mean JW has not written any other mindblowingly good scores.

What does that even mean? You can say that each film is a once in a life time moment, which then makes mentioning it pointless. Now if Williams had recorded the Empire score with the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra and never worked with them again, then yes, that would be a once in a life time moment.

Scribe wrote
    "Once-in-a-lifetime moment" and "mindblowingly good score" are both referring to TTRL, not each other. He just means TTRL is unique.

Well, it's a terrible worded statement.

Scribe wrote
    I hope I don't need to grammatically analyze this sentence further...

I betcha you do! tongue

-Erik-

PS - Backdraft is my favourite Zimmer score followed by Pacific Heights, Beyond Rangoon, An Everlasting Piece, The Prince of Egypt and The Thin Red Line.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    What does that even mean? You can say that each film is a once in a life time moment, which then makes mentioning it pointless. Now if Williams had recorded the Empire score with the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra and never worked with them again, then yes, that would be a once in a life time moment.

That's true. Its really a vacuous description. I just don't think he meant to suggest that TTRL was Zimmer's only mind-blowing score. Or maybe he did and I should take my translating duties elsewhere :P

Beyond Rangoon.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

-Erik-

If its so different I'm not sure I care. They're throwing away good ideas, and that's fine if they come up with better ones. If not though...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    PS - Backdraft is my favourite Zimmer score followed by Pacific Heights, Beyond Rangoon, An Everlasting Piece, The Prince of Egypt and The Thin Red Line.

Sweet jesus does THE PRINCE OF EGYPT need a deluxe release with all the trimmings. "The Burning Bush" is one of the best things he's ever written. I'd especially love to hear the score arrangements of the songs sans vocals.

Speaking of, what is the rights situation for expanded releases vis-a-vis DreamWorks films? No co-financier studios with DW Animation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

That's true. Its really a vacuous description. I just don't think he meant to suggest that TTRL was Zimmer's only mind-blowing score. Or maybe he did and I should take my translating duties elsewhere :P

Beyond Rangoon.

lol

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Speaking of Zimmer...

NP: The Dark Knight Rises - Hans Zimmer

One of my favorite. Given that this is another one of those trilogy-ender, there are a multitude of thematic material to work through, along with the various arrangements that they inhabit. The new Batman theme, itself a muted twist on the 2 note brass original is still good, though it mostly reminds me of that cello melody from The Fan. The Bane theme/package is excellent, as Zimmer does the dark stuff like a duck in water. Selina Kyle theme is almost typical Zimmer, and very suitable to the character. There are some excellent score material absent from the official release, and most of the bonus download material makes up about a 1/3 of it, if not half. Very enjoyable, worthwhile work, from Zimmer, and his team.

I'm kinda looking forward to his Superman stuff and everything else he does, natch.