• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Uncommon Valor - James Horner

I am just so used to hearing this style of scoring from Horner in the likes of his Star Trek scores or Krull, etc that I can't imagine this score actually fitting very well in the film itself!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012
    4 disc set from Lalo Schifrin. A versatile and talented composer
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    With the exception of The Last Airbender and the final action cue in Lady in the Water his Shyamalan works are far more restrained than whatever he does for Atlantis.

You have heard the opening titles and the last 10 minutes of Signs, right?

On top of that, you're expecting restrained on After Earth... a sci-fi action thriller? Uuuuuh-huh! And then he goes onto score, Maleficent. Yup, that will be a reflective piano solo piece. tongue

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BLACK RAIN (Hans Zimmer)

The expanded version. It's a bit too expanded, for sure (some perfunctory cues that just grate could easily have been weeded out). A presentation between the old suite presentation and this new one would have been ideal, I think.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    With the exception of The Last Airbender and the final action cue in Lady in the Water his Shyamalan works are far more restrained than whatever he does for Atlantis.

You have heard the opening titles and the last 10 minutes of Signs, right?

On top of that, you're expecting restrained on After Earth... a sci-fi action thriller? Uuuuuh-huh! And then he goes onto score, Maleficent. Yup, that will be a reflective piano solo piece. tongue

-Erik-

I think "refined" or "focused" might be better words than "restrained" for what he does for Shyamalan. There's a strength of personality to his music for those films than for most of his other projects. For example, Last Airbender and The Green Lantern are both 2010-2011 scores of his that were criticized for being generic and unthematic and "phoned-in", but you can't deny that the former tries a lot harder to comment on and interact with the film, whereas the latter is just a wall of noise.

I don't want to say he "just tries harder" for Shyamalan, but it sure seems like he just tries harder for Shyamalan.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Thor wrote

The expanded version. It's a bit too expanded, for sure (some perfunctory cues that just grate could easily have been weeded out). A presentation between the old suite presentation and this new one would have been ideal, I think.

Are you talking about the old bootleg? The Lala Land release features BOTH the complete score AND Zimmer's original suite for the album (because the original album is represented in its entirety on the second CD, also with some interesting alternates).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

Are you talking about the old bootleg? The Lala Land release features BOTH the complete score AND Zimmer's original suite for the album (because the original album is represented in its entirety on the second CD, also with some interesting alternates).

No, I'm talking about the regular songtrack (also featured on the LaLaLand, as you say) with the score suite. Bits and pieces of the previously unreleased material could benefit the presentation, but not all of it. Some of those still mill cues, in particular, are ghastly as a listening experience.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AMAZING STORIES, VOL. 1 (various)

Some real gems here with very different styles. When was the last time a series had such a line-up of top composers? FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON, maybe? Never picked up Vol. 2, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Uncommon Valor - James Horner

I am just so used to hearing this style of scoring from Horner in the likes of his Star Trek scores or Krull, etc that I can't imagine this score actually fitting very well in the film itself!

I remember it fitting well. Quite an enjoyable 'boys own' type war movie with a Dirty Dozen goes to Vietnam kind of thang, I did find the score very familiar at times.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WHITE OF THE EYE (Nick Mason & Rick Fenn)

One of several scores that Pink Floyd drummer Mason did in collaboration with Rick Fenn. It's a crappy bootleg taken from the film's audio (complete with sound effects), but it's probably the only thing we'll ever hear. Pretty cool prog rock/industrial score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - John Williams

One of the greatest scores ever composed!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Uncommon Valor - James Horner

I remember it fitting well. Quite an enjoyable 'boys own' type war movie with a Dirty Dozen goes to Vietnam kind of thang, I did find the score very familiar at times.

I really like it because of its familiarity. This is the sound I like from Horner.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Terra Nova - Brian Tyler
    IMO this is one of Tyler's best scores and the most engaging thing he's done in a long time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    NP: Terra Nova - Brian Tyler
    IMO this is one of Tyler's best scores and the most engaging thing he's done in a long time.

I've really liked what I've heard from this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I guess I better spin this one then. It's been in its shrink wrap ever since I got it. That's how much Tyler's music excites me.

EDIT: Oh sweet Jesus. It's two CD's even. slant

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Haha! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    NP: Skyfall - Thomas Newman

This is my first listen (it arrived yesterday from Amazon). I really like what I'm hearing so far - it retains the Bond DNA but I can still hear the core of Newman's style in a number of tracks. It is more propulsive that I was expecting from Newman, but its a welcome surprise.

I am a fan of the Barry/Arnold style - and I hear that from time to time. Looking forward to spinning this on my 3 hour car ride tomorrow as well.

I should note that Lincoln arrived yesterday, I have listened to it once and liked what I heard, but I really wanted to spend time with Bond right now smile
    Insert witty line here
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    I guess I better spin this one then. It's been in its shrink wrap ever since I got it. That's how much Tyler's music excites me.

-Erik-

I'd like to hear your opinion Erik ( even if you don't make it all the way through ), I listened to a few tracks on YT and liked them but if the rest is earache inducing like I find a lot of Tyler's stuff then suicide
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lincoln John Williams

It may work in the film just fine, and I'm sure it's exactly what Spielberg was after - but my god it's boring. I do hope I change my mind about this one like I did with Tintin. But that at least had the virtue of a lot more going on in terms of energy. With War Horse, I was instantly enamored. But this... I dunno, I just don't see me wanting to return to this one very often, if at all (unless I'm on a serious Williams high).

If ever the description 'safe option' applied, it's here. Still, to every action (Skyfall) there is always an equal and opposite reaction (Lincoln).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    -Erik-

I've only listened to the first CD so I can't vouch for the quality of the 2nd disc, but the first one is entertaining from beginning to end, unlike most Tyler scores. Probably all the boring tracks are hiding on the 2nd disc.

NP: Cloud Atlas - some guys who always compose together
    The main theme might be the most beautiful of 2012.
    Oh wait, I forgot The Impossible. Ok, 2nd most.
  4. Steven wrote
    Lincoln John Williams

It may work in the film just fine, and I'm sure it's exactly what Spielberg was after - but my god it's boring. I do hope I change my mind about this one like I did with Tintin. But that at least had the virtue of a lot more going on in terms of energy. With War Horse, I was instantly enamored. But this... I dunno, I just don't see me wanting to return to this one very often, if at all (unless I'm on a serious Williams high).

There's a couple of tracks towards the end that feel like all that I need from this. Are the reviewers just glad to have any John Williams score? The glorious technique is there, but this sort of lionising patriotica does absolutely nothing for me anymore -- the world has had to listen to too much of this sort of stuff in the name of drama. Any one of his 2005 foursome (Sith, War of the Worlds, Memoirs, Munich) was much more interesting than this on album.

NP: Samsara (Cyril Morin)

One of the best love themes.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Lincoln John Williams

If ever the description 'safe option' applied, it's here. Still, to every action (Skyfall) there is always an equal and opposite reaction (Lincoln).

I can't agree with you that it is boring. Far from it. It's a score that needs and begs for your undivided attention. The intricacies of the orchestration, variations on themes, counterpoint, the recording, etc. It's a master at work and again he does a brilliant job! Stunning, stunning music.

And of course Tintin is going to be more varied. It's a friggin' action adventure film for crying out loud. You can't go into Lincoln expecting a 7 music action set piece.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm glad you like it, but much like Michael puts it, its constant treacle-like patriotica is just too much. I might be more forgiving of it were it a more interesting score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    And of course Tintin is going to be more varied. It's a friggin' action adventure film for crying out loud. You can't go into Lincoln expecting a 7 music action set piece.

Of course not. But the fact that it's not its fault it's not interesting doesn't make it more so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I'm glad you like it, but much like Michael puts it, its constant treacle-like patriotica is just too much. I might be more forgiving of it were it a more interesting score!

More interesting. Kinda vague there. What were you expecting exactly that would be MORE interesting?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Um... I wasn't expecting anything really. Though this is clearly more of a subjective point since what you find interesting, I find boring. (Or at least what you find interesting has yet to filter through past my ears into my brain.)

It's just a case of I know what I like when I like it because I like it. And I don't really like this.
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

More interesting. Kinda vague there. What were you expecting exactly that would be MORE interesting?

-Erik-

It's for the artist to supply the content. We'll just comment on the individual effect it has on us. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Um... I wasn't expecting anything really. Though this is clearly more of a subjective point since what you find interesting, I find boring. (Or at least what you find interesting has yet to filter through past my ears into my brain.)

It's just a case of I know what I like when I like it because I like it. And I don't really like this.

I'm not trying to berate you, just so you know. I'm just kinda curious as to what you were expecting musically from a bio-film about Lincoln that would be more interesting then what we got. Again, I will point out the intricacies of the orchestration, variations on themes, the music written for solo instruments, the counterpoint and the recording. I guess I was in the right state of mind when I first heard it. I think at the time of my first listen this was a score that I really needed and it blew my socks off.

-Erik-
  6. It's sort of got that James Horner thing going for me where after a while it's a bit hard to tell the more serious tracks apart. You're sure Williams must be doing something distinctive in this version of whichever theme is playing, but it ends up sounding more samey than I'm used to from him. (Particularly if you skip the 'Battle Hymn' medley.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Terra Nova - Brain Tyler

It's listenable but nothing is really grabbing my attention. My mind is wondering far too much as this goes along. And there's 2 hours and 15 minutes of this.

-Erik-