• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Black Hawk Down

One of the best and most creative war scores ever written... Not "honourable", "patriotic" at all. It's pure violence and pain.

It's a bit mournful and introspective at points....
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - Black Hawk Down

One of the best and most creative war scores ever written... Not "honourable", "patriotic" at all. It's pure violence and pain.

It's a bit mournful and introspective at points....

It's a bit Simon & Garfunkal too wink Still, it's one of my Zimmer faves.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. NP: Rambo - First Blood Part II - Jerry Goldsmith

Ranks up there in my Top 5 favourite Jerry Goldsmith scores. Track after track is, to me at least, Goldsmith at the top of his game.

Playing it loud (but on my headphones at this time of night!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Rambo - First Blood Part II - Jerry Goldsmith

Ranks up there in my Top 5 favourite Jerry Goldsmith scores. Track after track is, to me at least, Goldsmith at the top of his game.

Playing it loud (but on my headphones at this time of night!)

Excellent score indeed!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Frozen Planet - George Fenton

This is fantastic.

Reviewing?
  2. The Help - Thomas Newman

Maybe it's the mood I'm in, but I am really connecting to this now, perhaps more than I ever have. Part spunky, part mournful, part introspective, and all hopeful. It's a more mature sibling to Fried Green Tomatoes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Frozen Planet - George Fenton

This is fantastic.

Reviewing?

I will be!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I can't believe that the US dropped David Attenborough's narration on Frozen Planet and used Alec Baldwin!!

They dubbed it? From English to American? dizzy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. Miya wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I can't believe that the US dropped David Attenborough's narration on Frozen Planet and used Alec Baldwin!!

biggrin

Or maybe they thought that they couldn't have a completely unknown, English "boffin-type" for this. Rather, have a well-known, easily recognisable, actor who can read a bit.

I am assuming that they used the same script and just changed the narrator?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. BTW, on the subject of David Attenborough, it is amazing how many scientists today (well known or not) who cite Attenborough as being important catalysts fuelling their enthusiasm to choose a science path for their career.

He must be doing something right. And it seems a shame that others cannot be enthused by him too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David Attenborough is right at the top of the league in my all time heroes list. I'm presuming that outside of the UK his brother Richard is the one that is far better known.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    He's known, at least in the nature/wildlife-lover community, in Japan. Obviously not so known as in your country, but some BBC programs were titled with his name, like "Attenborough's Life of Birds". His voice was dubbed but it was voice-over, so we could hear his voice.

Actually Life of Birds influenced me to be an ornithologist. I want to see the series again... (I had it on VHS but I have no player now slant )

NP: Angels In America - Thomas Newman

I haven't played this album so many times yet, but it's getting into my favorite list.
  5. Vertigo Herrmann

The Varese rerecording, a brilliant album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Vertigo Herrmann

The Varese rerecording, a brilliant album.

It is! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013 edited
    NP: Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Usually, a score that doesn't sound good on album, sometime proves its effectiveness in the movie, and thus change my overall impression of it. Sadly, based on my viewing of the movie last weekend, this isn't the case. There are awful sounding cues that just make me cringes (i.e. Brand New World). Cues are either mixed low enough not to be noticed, or loud enough that you start to notice its inability to deliver anything of substance. The electronically heavy cues are nothing new, but very well done and suitable. The action cues are dumbed down Arnold-lite junk that makes me yearn for more Quantum of Solace. If this score was proving anything to me, is that Thomas can write action cues, but not in anyway that makes me want to hear more from him. Weirdly, the low-key stuff are pretty much the best parts of the album, and they're mostly materials that I've heard from him before.
  6. Miya wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Well, the original version was a little hard to understand:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUsj5OOIT9A
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. lp wrote

Usually, a score that doesn't sound good on album, sometime proves its effectiveness in the movie, and thus change my overall impression of it. Sadly, based on my viewing of the movie last weekend, this isn't the case. There are awful sounding cues that just make me cringes (i.e. Brand New World). Cues are either mixed low enough not to be noticed, or loud enough that you start to notice its inability to deliver anything of substance. The electronically heavy cues are nothing new, but very well done and suitable. The action cues are dumbed down Arnold-lite junk that makes me yearn for more Quantum of Solace. If this score was proving anything to me, is that Thomas can write action cues, but not in anyway that makes me want to hear more from him. Weirdly, the low-key stuff are pretty much the best parts of the album, and they're mostly materials that I've heard from him before.

Hm. The action cues are the best parts in my book.

I just christened this score as my new favorite Newman score ever. I have it on CD, iTunes, and on Kindle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    lp wrote

Hm. The action cues are the best parts in my book.

I just christened this score as my new favorite Newman score ever. I have it on CD, iTunes, and on Kindle.

I have it on my Amazon MP3 player account, which works over all of my PC and iPad and Android devices. Quite handy, I must say.

Anyway, I think the action cues are quite banal, and I get this weird deja vu feeling every time I try to listen to it. Like it's full of temp track influence or something. Not accusing the composer of anything, mind you. I'm some how always reminded (with every listen) that I've probably heard the better original versions somewhere esle.
  8. NP:Star Wars II Attack of the Clones - John Williams

Apart from the fantastic love theme and some shiny moments, this is indeed a rather week SW score by John William's standarts.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP:Star Wars II Attack of the Clones - John Williams

Apart from the fantastic love theme and some shiny moments, this is indeed a rather week SW score by John William's standarts.

It's the weakest of all his SW scores. It still has some great moments though.
  9. Timmer wrote
    David Attenborough is right at the top of the league in my all time heroes list. I'm presuming that outside of the UK his brother Richard is the one that is far better known.

This is very true. I've known Richard for a long time. My first exposure to David was through the outstanding PLANET EARTH series.

NP - THERE BE DRAGONS - Robert Folk

This is so good, and my only Folk score. Are there any others commercially available that I need to have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    NP:Star Wars II Attack of the Clones - John Williams

Indeed! Very weak.

NP: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - John Williams

Dazzling! My second favourite Potter score just behind Azkaban.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote

This is so good, and my only Folk score. Are there any others commercially available that I need to have?

Beastmaster 2 was just recently re-released by BSX Records. GET. IT. NOW! Lawnmower Man 2 will also blow your mind! One of the all time best action scores!

Instead of listing everything the man has done I will forward you to his site where you can sample tracks.

http://www.robertfolk.com/audio.html

Here's a list of scores to buy.

http://www.screenarchives.com/composer. … oserID=713

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote

Beastmaster 2 was just recently re-released by BSX Records. GET. IT. NOW! Lawnmower Man 2 will also blow your mind! One of the all time best action scores!

Instead of listing everything the man has done I will forward you to his site where you can sample tracks.

http://www.robertfolk.com/audio.html

Here's a list of scores to buy.

http://www.screenarchives.com/composer. … oserID=713

-Erik-

I see what you did there smile. Thanks, Erik!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

He's right at the top of my list of heroes too. I remember as a boy watching something like Life on Earth at school and it being pretty much completely responsible for giving me a sense of wonder about the world around me. He pretty much embodies the original purpose of the BBC, to educate and entertain. Like a great teacher, his enthusiasm for the subject becomes infectious and makes the pupil (or in this case viewer) genuinely want to find out more about whatever he's talking about. I'm amazed that well into his 80s, he seems just as busy as ever.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

He's right at the top of my list of heroes too. I remember as a boy watching something like Life on Earth at school and it being pretty much completely responsible for giving me a sense of wonder about the world around me. He pretty much embodies the original purpose of the BBC, to educate and entertain. Like a great teacher, his enthusiasm for the subject becomes infectious and makes the pupil (or in this case viewer) genuinely want to find out more about whatever he's talking about. I'm amazed that well into his 80s, he seems just as busy as ever.

Absolutely! And you put it much better than I what it is that ticks my boxes.

NP : ZERO DARK THIRTY - Alexandre Desplat

I love this score. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Michael Kamen

I've listened to this more in the last two weeks than the previous 15 years. How come I didn't realise how good it is? It's got it all. Absolutely brilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Now time for you to re-listen to BACK TO THE FUTURE! And yes, Robin Hood is brilliant. His crowning achievement! Can't wait to hear an expanded release!

-Erik-
  11. NP: Rubicon - Peter Nashel

An okay sort of score but it's a bit distracting hearing that Alexandre Desplat electronic bass ostinato rhythm in several of the cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013
    NP: Ratatouille - Michael Giacchino

I haven't played this for a while. I remembered how I love it smile