• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013
    NP : ZERO DARK THIRTY - Alexandre Desplat

This should have been nominated over Argo.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Today in the mail:

The Film Music of Mischa Spolianski
    The Film Music of Brian Easdale
    , both conducted by Rumon Gamba on Chandos

Firefly - Greg Edmunson
    Serenity - David Newman

Now, where to start? wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You're on a roll with those purchases Volker cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Captain Future wrote
    Today in the mail:

The Film Music of Mischa Spolianski
    The Film Music of Brian Easdale
    , both conducted by Rumon Gamba on Chandos

Firefly - Greg Edmunson
    Serenity - David Newman

Now, where to start? wink

Volker

The Edmonson stuff is a hit and miss for many fans. It might be a mixed bag for you.

There are a number of excellent cues on "Serenity", including stand out tracks such as:
    "Serenity"
    "Going For a Ride"
    "Trading Station Robbery"
    "Truth/Mal's Speech"
    "Space Battle" and "Crash Landing", which should be one cue.
    "Funeral/Rebuilding Serenity"
    "Prep for Flight""
    "Love"
    "End Credits"

"Serenity" features, for River's theme (prominently heard in "Love"), what Newman called a "beautifully out of tune" piano. A friend of his had found a piano at a house in another state, as told by Newman in an interview, that was out of tune but it sounded so beautiful. Newman flew over there and recorded it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bullet to the Head - Steve Mazzaro

Well this is unexpectedly good. Despite the dreaded "produced by Hans Zimmer" credit it's actually quite a distinctive score with a nice bluesy feel to it. Not great, but at least it has a sound of its own and it's certainly enjoyable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE CHAIRMAN - Jerry Goldsmith

I believe this was also known as 'The Most Dangerous Man In The World'? Regardless, this is a very fine 60's score from a composer near the top of his game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    My prize from the 5th anniversary contest has arrived! punk

NP: Alexandra - Andrey Sigle

Wow, this is very good! I congratulate myself for this choice.

Next: Man to Man by Patrick Doyle.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE CHAIRMAN - Jerry Goldsmith

I believe this was also known as 'The Most Dangerous Man In The World'? Regardless, this is a very fine 60's score from a composer near the top of his game.

The gorgeous LOVE THEME
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SEBASTIAN - Jerry Goldsmith

While packing away I found a CDR which merely said 'jerry goldsmith' which picqued my interest, I immediately recognised it as Sebastian ( it's a huge orchestral score with choir, even MORE apocalyptic than his Omen scores ), I hope someone releases it legitimately one day. Very enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've never heard that one. There were rumours that it was being worked on by FSM or LLL or someone quite a while ago but obviously nothing ever came of it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I've never heard that one. There were rumours that it was being worked on by FSM or LLL or someone quite a while ago but obviously nothing ever came of it.

In that case take no notice of my description. If you like his Flint scores you'll most likely enjoy Sebastian. I seem to remember comments over at FSM regarding it's release and an argument involving Harkit's release of the score which, like my CDR, is taken from vinyl sources.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Cristian wrote
    My prize from the 5th anniversary contest has arrived! punk

NP: Alexandra - Andrey Sigle
    Next: Man to Man by Patrick Doyle.

Sweet! Enjoy and congrats again.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Golden Child - John Barry

It's scarcely believable that he wrote this music for this film (what was he thinking!?) but it makes a very good album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE - John Williams

Fabulous score!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Golden Child - John Barry

It's scarcely believable that he wrote this music for this film (what was he thinking!?) but it makes a very good album.

Unless I missed something I think it's a shame more interviewers didn't ask him more about some of the bombs he scored, this one and Howard The Duck, Star Crash, Night Games, Game of Death.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

I caught this film on TMC last night. I've seen it dozens of time and it's still one of the all time best horror/suspense films ever made. Great pacing, superb cinematography, brilliant special effects and now that I'm a Dad the kidnapping of Carol Ann is far more powerful then it was before 2006. When Carol Ann says "Hi Daddy" snugged up to her mother in the tub after being saved I welled up. All I could see is my little Charlotte in that situation. And while Tobe Hooper's name is in the credits as director we all know who directed this. Spielberg had one helluva summer in 1982.

The score still stands as one of Goldsmith's finest and is bloody brilliant as a stand alone listen as well. The new FSM release is superb but I still, for some reason, still prefer the 1997 Rhino presentation of the score. I guess it's what I'm use to so I've taken the FSM remastered cues and recreated the Rhino sequence for my own listening pleasure!

Highly recommended!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013
    Never cared much for film or score myself (POLTERGEIST, that is), but not without value, for sure.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. James Horner - In Country

The bootleg with awful quality. I think I will be very much ordering the new Intrada album.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Timmer wrote

Fabulous score!

That one should have been Williams' Oscar after SCHINDLER'S LIST. Amazing range and impact on the film.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

I caught this film on TMC last night. I've seen it dozens of time and it's still one of the all time best horror/suspense films ever made. Great pacing, superb cinematography, brilliant special effects and now that I'm a Dad the kidnapping of Carol Ann is far more powerful then it was before 2006. When Carol Ann says "Hi Daddy" snugged up to her mother in the tub after being saved I welled up. All I could see is my little Charlotte in that situation. And while Tobe Hooper's name is in the credits as director we all know who directed this. Spielberg had one helluva summer in 1982.

The score still stands as one of Goldsmith's finest and is bloody brilliant as a stand alone listen as well. The new FSM release is superb but I still, for some reason, still prefer the 1997 Rhino presentation of the score. I guess it's what I'm use to so I've taken the FSM remastered cues and recreated the Rhino sequence for my own listening pleasure!

Highly recommended!

-Erik-

I remember me and my best friend Roy saw this on a special late night showing before it went on national release in 1982, we came out of the cinema totally blown away and both of us had the view that special effects had reached a pinnacle that could not be surpassed.....it were very different in them days lad spin wink

It's still very entertaining but has more of a warm nostalgic value for me now, the score, of course, is still fantastic and remains in my Goldsmith top 10.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote

Fabulous score!

That one should have been Williams' Oscar after SCHINDLER'S LIST. Amazing range and impact on the film.

I agree!
  5. It's funny that, with all the excellent special effects in Poltergeist, it is the scene in the kitchen where all the chairs are piled onto the table that impresses me the most.

A great film and an even better score.

The film could do with a worthy DVD release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Usually, a score that doesn't sound good on album, sometime proves its effectiveness in the movie, and thus change my overall impression of it. Sadly, based on my viewing of the movie last weekend, this isn't the case. There are awful sounding cues that just make me cringes (i.e. Brand New World). Cues are either mixed low enough not to be noticed, or loud enough that you start to notice its inability to deliver anything of substance. The electronically heavy cues are nothing new, but very well done and suitable. The action cues are dumbed down Arnold-lite junk that makes me yearn for more Quantum of Solace. If this score was proving anything to me, is that Thomas can write action cues, but not in anyway that makes me want to hear more from him. Weirdly, the low-key stuff are pretty much the best parts of the album, and they're mostly materials that I've heard from him before.

Only this is great in the movie but also on album smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013 edited
    Lincoln John Williams

Conrad Pope writes this about this score:

Before we forget all the wonderful music nominated this year for the Academy Award move on to the "next sensation"in the wake of the ceremony, I'd like to take one last chance to encourage my FB friends--- particularly my musician friends--- who have not had the time to listen CLOSELY to Lincoln, to do so. Every note, every choice is a jewel. I'm reminded of one of my teachers in Germany who advised: "Music should be simple-- but NOT simple minded!" John's score is a model of elegance, simplicity, and beauty-- something to treasure, as it is so different from our simple minded Zeitgeist. Please listen--closely--if you haven't already!

You know, I'm sure that's all very true. I'm still bored by it though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good wine needs no bush (although it may lead to it, but that's another point altogether).
    I am always somewhat weary of music that needs explanation (or indeed championing, as the case may be) to be enjoyed. Surely if it's really as fine as Pope suggests, it should speak for itself?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Laura - David Raksin

This is Kritzerland's recent release of Raksin's famous score. It's nice to now have the original tracks in addition the 27-minute "Laura Suite - Theme and Variations" track that's the only thing that's been available up until now.

I remember a while back sitting down with this suite and the DVD of Laura and making a start to "spot" the film and extracting cues from the suite so that I had something more manageable than the long suite of music. I soon got tired of doing this as the suite wasn't just a straight pasting together of the cues. Now, I can put that project to bed!

BTW, if you don't like the Laura theme then I suggest that you give this a miss: Laura is monothematic in the extreme!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Good wine needs no bush (although it may lead to it, but that's another point altogether).
    I am always somewhat weary of music that needs explanation (or indeed championing, as the case may be) to be enjoyed. Surely if it's really as fine as Pope suggests, it should speak for itself?

The finale is quite nice, in a Saving Private Ryan kind of way. But it doesn't ever really get to that point where you want to air conduct to it - not for me at least. I'm glad people do enjoy it, as I am with any score... but it's just too much soft Copland/Americana for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Space Fights Episode I: The Phantom Menace John Williams

Ahhhh, that's better!
  7. Please stop reducing composers to a trade mark sound that made them famous once. JW isn't all Star Wars as Morricone isn't all spaghetti westerns. Anyway:

NP: Il Gattopardo - Nino Rota The original recording rematered on Sugar.
    I heard this music in a concert a few days ago and I new I had to have this.

The Black Stallion - Carmine Coppola / The Black Stallion Returns - Georges Delereu on Prometheus
    Great music, espacially the score by Delereu.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

The finale is quite nice, in a Saving Private Ryan kind of way. But it doesn't ever really get to that point where you want to air conduct to it - not for me at least. I'm glad people do enjoy it, as I am with any score... but it's just too much soft Copland/Americana for me.

I still haven't heard it? It's Williams so I will be picking this one up but I think I've been a little put off by all the negative comments, at least as far as hurrying to buy it. Still, I'll make my own mind up soon.