• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013
    NP : TRUE CONFESSIONS - Georges Delerue

Gods but I love Delerue's choral writing. It's a paper thin toss of the coin as to whether it's this or AGNES OF GOD that is my all time favourite Delerue score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013 edited
    NP: Upstream Color - Shane Carruth

A score to an upcoming film that has track titles that rival anything James Horner could come up with:

01. Leaves Expanded May Be Prevailing Blue Mixed With Yellow of The Sand
    02. I Used To Wonder At The Halo of Light Around My Shadow and Would Fancy Myself One of The Elect
    03. Fearing That They Would Be Light-Headed For Want of Food and Also Sleep
    04. Stirring Them Up As The Keeper of A Menagerie His Wild Beasts
    05. The Finest Qualities of Our Nature like The Bloom On Fruits Can Be Preserved
    06. Perhaps The Wildest Sound That Is Ever Heard Here Making The Woods Ring Far and Wide
    07. I Love To Be Alone
    08. A Young Forest Growing Up Under Your Meadows
    09. Their Roots Reaching Quite Under The House
    10. The Rays Which Stream Through the Shutter Will Be No Longer Remembered When The Shutter Is Wholly Removed
    11. After Soaking Two Years and Then Lying High Six Months It Was Perfectly Sound Through Waterlogged Past Drying
    12. The Sun Is But A Morning Star
    13. A Low and Distant Sound Gradually Swelling and Increasing
    14. As If It Would Have A Universal and Memorable Ending
    15. A Sullen Rush and Roar

How many words should a track title have before it becomes just a bit pretentious?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ....or a piss take? Knowing nothing about the film I feel it's more towards your comment.

Or is it a shite poem?

Where's Moonbeam Fairchild and The Mourning Tea Pot of Bitter Sorrows Band when ya need them?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Martijn wrote
    Good wine needs no bush (although it may lead to it, but that's another point altogether).
    I am always somewhat weary of music that needs explanation (or indeed championing, as the case may be) to be enjoyed. Surely if it's really as fine as Pope suggests, it should speak for itself?

I think it does speak for itself, since my first listen I've responded to it emotionally in a very strong way, it's my favourite score of last year. But Conrad's Pope's comments ring very true to me, every moment is so beautifully crafted that it really is a joy to listen to from start to finish.
  2. The Red House Rózsa

Really great music, the orchestration is fantastic. I love this new recording from Intrada, a great performance and the sound is magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    John Chambers wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Good wine needs no bush (although it may lead to it, but that's another point altogether).
    I am always somewhat weary of music that needs explanation (or indeed championing, as the case may be) to be enjoyed. Surely if it's really as fine as Pope suggests, it should speak for itself?

I think it does speak for itself, since my first listen I've responded to it emotionally in a very strong way, it's my favourite score of last year. But Conrad's Pope's comments ring very true to me, every moment is so beautifully crafted that it really is a joy to listen to from start to finish.

Assuredly.
    The only thing that slightly puzzled me was rather the suggestion that you'd need to listen to it once more and apparently more closely (whatever that means) if you're truly to appreciate it.

I just don't get that.
    I (together with I'd say the vast majority of people) am perfectly able to make my mind up in one go.
    The inference that if one happens to not find it a jewel of a masterpiece of grade A rare genius is solely due to the fact that clearly one hasn't listened closely enough is just ever so slightly irksome.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Tim, I did think that the titles were some sort of poem. But they make an even poorer poem than they do track titles!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote

Assuredly.
    The only thing that slightly puzzled me was rather the suggestion that you'd need to listen to it once more and apparently more closely (whatever that means) if you're truly to appreciate it.

I just don't get that.
    I (together with I'd say the vast majority of people) am perfectly able to make my mind up in one go.
    The inference that if one happens to not find it a jewel of a masterpiece of grade A rare genius is solely due to the fact that clearly one hasn't listened closely enough is just ever so slightly irksome.

Some of my favourite music has taken me a few listens to get into but I agree with you 100%. Just because someone points out how well written something is and how much they love it that doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't connect with it yourself. I always find it incredibly arrogant when people say you should like a particular piece of music because of X, Y and Z; you either like it or you don't.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim, I did think that the titles were some sort of poem. But they make an even poorer poem than they do track titles!

They do! Just one last thing Alan, was the music good?
  5. I did quite enjoy it. Sort of a Brian Eno/Vangelis/John Carpenter feel to it. Interesting soundscapes rather than memorable themes.

The film is out in April. Festival reviews of the film are "divided".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    John Chambers wrote
    Some of my favourite music has taken me a few listens to get into but I agree with you 100%. Just because someone points out how well written something is and how much they love it that doesn't mean a damn thing if you don't connect with it yourself. I always find it incredibly arrogant when people say you should like a particular piece of music because of X, Y and Z; you either like it or you don't.

beer

I find repeated listens generally don't change my mind, no matter how many I devote to any piece of music.
    Like you say: if it doesn't connect, it just doesn't.

I do find my tastes sometimes change , where music I used to thoroughly dislike (for whatever reason) I suddenly (often many years later) really appreciate. But that is something else entirely, especially as that always is after a period of completely blanking such music out rather than repeated listens.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: A Good Day To Die Hard - Marco Beltrami

This one is relentless! It hits you hard right off the bat and keep beating the living shit out of you for 64 straight minutes. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing because there's a lot of excellent action music composed for this film but I'm not sure if I need this much. At least this isn't Brian Tyler.

Anyway, "Chopper Takedown" is hands down one of the best cues of the year. Beltrami respectfully pays tribute to Kamen's previous scores in the series utilizing some of this themes, motifs and orchestral colours all the while still managing to keep his own unique voice present. Bravo!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: A Good Day To Die Hard - Marco Beltrami

This one is relentless! It hits you hard right off the bat and keep beating the living shit out of you for 64 straight minutes. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing because there's a lot of excellent action music composed for this film but I'm not sure if I need this much. At least this isn't Brian Tyler.

Anyway, "Chopper Takedown" is hands down one of the best cues of the year. Beltrami respectfully pays tribute to Kamen's previous scores in the series utilizing some of this themes, motifs and orchestral colours all the while still managing to keep his own unique voice present. Bravo!

-Erik-

Amazing action score for a shitty film.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Here's Mark Kermode's critique...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvZQGYNez04
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Frozen Planet - George Fenton

This is exceptional.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Skyfall - Thomas Newman

Usually, a score that doesn't sound good on album, sometime proves its effectiveness in the movie, and thus change my overall impression of it. Sadly, based on my viewing of the movie last weekend, this isn't the case. There are awful sounding cues that just make me cringes (i.e. Brand New World). Cues are either mixed low enough not to be noticed, or loud enough that you start to notice its inability to deliver anything of substance. The electronically heavy cues are nothing new, but very well done and suitable. The action cues are dumbed down Arnold-lite junk that makes me yearn for more Quantum of Solace. If this score was proving anything to me, is that Thomas can write action cues, but not in anyway that makes me want to hear more from him. Weirdly, the low-key stuff are pretty much the best parts of the album, and they're mostly materials that I've heard from him before.

Only this is great in the movie but also on album smile

I understand that this is your opinion on this Thomas Newman score.
  6. Southall wrote
    Frozen Planet - George Fenton

This is exceptional.

I am finding this much more enjoyable when it steers clear of lighthearted mickey-mousing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2013
    NP : THE PHANTOM - David Newman

One of the very best superhero scores written.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. MOLIERE - Frederic Talgorn

I really like the main theme to this. There are quite a few of the tracks that I could do without, but there are some excellent highlights, especially the marvelously beautiful "Past Times, Past Lives."
  8. LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS: THE OWLS OF GA'HOOLE - David Hirschfelder

Not enjoying this. There's no denying the compositional quality on display here, I just don't enjoy it. I'm a man of simple tastes. I like my music easy to listen to. This is not.
  9. LEGEND OF 1900 - Ennio Morricone

There's a lot to admire about this score. The thing I admired about it most this time through was "1900's Madness #2." Whoever played the piano for this track is awesome. That run that starts at 1:07 is especially impressive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : QUANTUM OF SOLACE - David Arnold

Very good Bond score for a very poor film.
  10. Today I will select Ry Cooder: Paris, Texas and The Long Riders.

I haven't listened to Cooder in quite a while. It's time to change that.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I love The Long Riders!
    Excellent and thoroughly moody score (but then that is Cooder's forte).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Three Musketeers - Michael Kamen

So enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Brilliant!

Here's my THE THREE MUSKETEERS SUITE for those that haven't heard this one!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I love The Long Riders!
    Excellent and thoroughly moody score (but then that is Cooder's forte).

I agree! I guess a very limiting style for film composing longevity but this and also Paris, Texas I love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Africa - Sarah Class

I wasn't so sure about this in the show itself but it grew on me as the series progressed and it's absolutely exquisite on album.