• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. David OC wrote
    Goodbye Lover - John Ottman

Had forgotten how cool and catchy the main theme is. One of so many fantastic scores Ottman has written for smaller, marginal films.

I listened to this the other day. 'Catchy' is definitely the right word. I found myself humming the theme for days!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The Touch - Basil Poledouris
    Nobody, not even Zimmer, ever created sucha strong rapport between symphonic and synthetic instruments, and in this score he does it so well.

Powell does it better.

Am I gonna get shot?

Politely.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The Touch - Basil Poledouris
    Nobody, not even Zimmer, ever created sucha strong rapport between symphonic and synthetic instruments, and in this score he does it so well.

Powell does it better.

Am I gonna get shot?

Too painless.
    Too fast.

I was about to agree with you Martijn but it has to be said that Powell does electro/orchestra incredibly well.

But not better.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I think my interest in film music is at an all time low, I'm still and always have been listening to new stuff but it interests me less and less. I think I take more notice of what people play in the Off Topic thread than I do here.

Intriguing. Even the good stuff?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    God, I bless the day I can log on to this thread without seeing any goddamn SKYFALL score discussion.

We could talk about Zimmer?

Brace yourselves: Man of steel is coming.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote
    Life of Pi - Mychael Danna

Pleasant enough with a few standout cues but, overall, it's a mediocre score. I find it hard to escape that fact and then reconcile it with the idea that something so middle-off-the-road could be considered worthy of an Oscar.

Because it's an absolutely perfect film score for the film it was written for. And on its own it's one of 2012's most haunting and hypnotic musical experiences.

-Erik-

It is disappointing that more and more people keep judging film scores outside their perspective, the films they were written for. If you see and admire life of pie on the big screen especially, a gorgeous heartwarming story of life, then there are no "why's" for Danna's score. Despite your tastes. It is objectively magnificent and obviously admirable how he wrote like this.

That the score also exists on cd is purely coincidental and it was never the intention of the composer. They don't even get involved with the cd at all, most of the times. Also coincidental is the fact that fans like us exist, who listen the music outside of context.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished with Jack The Giant Slayer. Here's my first impression.

It's a big, bold, complex, action packed epic score but I'm not really getting a grasp on the melodies. I know they are there but I'm not really identifying with them when they show up. A lot of the score is based more on thick, textured orchestrations and creating a certain atmosphere then latching onto a melodic hook. The melodies are there... there's a big heroic tune for Jack - I mean, Ottman slams you in the head with it right of the top of the album but it's so scattered throughout the lengthly running time of the album that when it (and other melodies) eventually show up you're racking your brain as to what character it might belong to. A viewing of the film will help in this department.

The temp track bleeds through a bit... try listening to "Goodbyes" and NOT think of "Labor of Love" from Star Trek. Or Goldsmith's "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" from Twilight Zone: The Movie when you hear "Kitchen Nightmare."

Anyway, I'd say that fans of Elfman's epic "Alice in Wonderland" and Shore's original "The Lord of the Rings" music will love this to bits. There's some phenomenal writing in the score (especially the last two battle cues and the finale) but I think I will enjoy even more more with repeat listens so I can get my head around the thematic development in the score. I think a trim down of the album is in order as well.

This is easily one of Ottman's best scores!

Oh, great recording, too!

-Erik-

PS - Da Da Da Daaaaaaah! <-- Seriously! crazy

Ottman has many 'best' scores? Don't you mean "less mediocre" instead ? wink
  3. Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    David OC wrote
    Life of Pi - Mychael Danna

Pleasant enough with a few standout cues but, overall, it's a mediocre score. I find it hard to escape that fact and then reconcile it with the idea that something so middle-off-the-road could be considered worthy of an Oscar.

Because it's an absolutely perfect film score for the film it was written for. And on its own it's one of 2012's most haunting and hypnotic musical experiences.

-Erik-

It is disappointing that more and more people keep judging film scores outside their perspective, the films they were written for. If you see and admire life of pie on the big screen especially, a gorgeous heartwarming story of life, then there are no "why's" for Danna's score. Despite your tastes. It is objectively magnificent and obviously admirable how he wrote like this.

That the score also exists on cd is purely coincidental and it was never the intention of the composer. They don't even get involved with the cd at all, most of the times. Also coincidental is the fact that fans like us exist, who listen the music outside of context.

It's funny to read that Danna says of the music for Life of Pi, "...The music was not designed to stand on its own. I’m not sure it makes any sense..." On the one had I think that it's bizarre that a composer of music doesn't feel his music stands up alone, away from the image...but I suppose that he's so close to the subject that he cannot objectively assess the worth of his music away from the image.

Maybe no composer can judge whether his music stands up (whatever "stands up" means) away from the images or not. That's where people like us can come in: assessing the music away from the film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    God, I bless the day I can log on to this thread without seeing any goddamn SKYFALL score discussion.

We could talk about Zimmer?

Brace yourselves: Man of steel is coming.

From the little I've read about it I'm looking forward to seeing this film. It also makes complete sense that the score is going in an entirely different way to John Williams masterpiece, from what I've read JW's Superman March would be seriously out of place.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I think my interest in film music is at an all time low, I'm still and always have been listening to new stuff but it interests me less and less. I think I take more notice of what people play in the Off Topic thread than I do here.

Intriguing. Even the good stuff?

smile

My comment was purely aimed at modern film music. There'll always be some good stuff and there are still composers I like a lot but even with those I'm very picky and choosy.

I want THEMES and MELODY, where are they?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. There's also a lot of interesting music in non-mainstream films; films away from the usual Hollywood fayre.
  5. Not trendy anymore, alas. And not just in film scores. Melody is simply out of fashion in favour of rhythm.

That said, it's interesting that you like Inception so much, which, I would risk, is one of Hans' least thematic and most atmospheric score and all that by design.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    It is disappointing that more and more people keep judging film scores outside their perspective, the films they were written for.

In our little circle that's Ok. We are a rare breed who enjoy both the music in and outside of the film. There is NOTHING wrong with judging the music on its own divorced from the images. It still needs to be good music to also function as a good film score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

They are still out there but you need to look outside of Hollywood blockbuster to hear them.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not trendy anymore, alas. And not just in film scores. Melody is simply out of fashion in favour of rhythm.

That said, it's interesting that you like Inception so much, which, I would risk, is one of Hans' least thematic and most atmospheric score and all that by design.

We're all full of contradictions. wink It's a particular sound in Inception, even Barryesque which without a doubt attracts me ( and yes, I'm well aware of Hans watching OHMSS and the Bond connection etc ) whereas those wall-of-sounds do nothing for me in Hans BAT-scores, the same goes for his pop/rock approach where I really enjoy K2 but cannot abide Mission Impossible 2.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

They are still out there but you need to look outside of Hollywood blockbuster to hear them.

-Erik-

Not just THEMES and MELODY but GOOD themes and melodies!

Yeah, I know what you're saying Erik and I know they're out there wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    There were dozens of good to great themes and melodies in film music just last year. The best of the best being Velasquez's stunning main theme from The Impossible! There's also Aaltio's feel good theme from Metsan Tarina. Horner's Spider-Man theme, the themes from Cloud Atlas, Silvestri's The Avengers, Lockington's Journey 2... wait a minute... look, I've already focused on this on my radio show. Tim, have a listen.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/the-best- … s-of-2012/

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    There were dozens of good to great themes and melodies in film music just last year. The best of the best being Velasquez's stunning main theme from The Impossible! There's also Aaltio's feel good theme from Metsan Tarina. Horner's Spider-Man theme, the themes from Cloud Atlas, Silvestri's The Avengers, Lockington's Journey 2... wait a minute... look, I've already focused on this on my radio show. Tim, have a listen.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/the-best- … s-of-2012/

-Erik-

Later tonight I have nothing better to do and will give a listen. I always enjoy your programs anyway Erik beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Awesome! I think you are going to find a lot to like in that program!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Die Another Day - David Arnold

Highly enjoyable Bond score. It's as over the top as everything else in the movie, and sounds incredible doing it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    NP: Die Another Day - David Arnold

Highly enjoyable Bond score. It's as over the top as everything else in the movie, and sounds incredible doing it.

...and BEST BOND SONG EVER!!!!

I like this score, a "lesser" effort in Arnold's Bond's but still very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer, perhaps you can download Spotify (use the free version) and you'll discover a lot of new music! If that is available in your country of course.
    Kazoo
  6. Bregt wrote
    Timmer, perhaps you can download Spotify (use the free version) and you'll discover a lot of new music! If that is available in your country of course.

I just did that to listen to Jack the Giant Slayer. Works fine here in Germany.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

...and BEST BOND SONG EVER!!!!

I like this score, a "lesser" effort in Arnold's Bond's but still very good.

I approve of this post, though I will recommend disregarding the first line. It's a fine song, and fits in with the overall aesthetic of the score, though still not close enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

Yep, I have it but thanks anyway. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Josh B wrote
    (I'll admit that as far as action scores go, Jack The Giant Slayer is pretty piecemeal. It doesn't have the coherency that say, Total Recall has. Of course, there's only one Total Recall.)

In fact there are two Total Recalls, though the more recent of them is admittedly difficult to recall at all. The first one was genuinely creative music that not only exists within its film and could only exist within its film, but also makes musical sense away from its film and is a masterpiece of modern symphonic music. The other... well, not so much. My biggest "everything's crap these days"-style problem is that there is so little to distinguish the score for one film from the score for another, similar film, regardless of who wrote the music. I'm sure John Williams or James Horner or Basil Poledouris or Michael Kamen or any number of other composers active at the time could have written absolutely blisteringly good scores for the original Total Recall and that they would sound absolutely nothing like Goldsmith's score. I'm equally sure that Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe, Henry Jackman, Marc Streitenfeld, Steve Jablonsky, Ramin Djawadi or any number of such composers could have written the score for the more recent Total Recall and it would have sounded pretty much identical to the one Gregson-Williams wrote.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    In fact there are two Total Recalls, though the more recent of them is admittedly difficult to recall at all. The first one was genuinely creative music that not only exists within its film and could only exist within its film, but also makes musical sense away from its film and is a masterpiece of modern symphonic music.

Well, yes. There are two but I only choose to acknowledge the Goldsmith masterpiece. :p
  7. I zipped through Return of the Jedi, both the Arista/Fox and the RCA/Sony edition and I just cannot decide whether

I love Ewok Celebration more than Victory Celebration!

I love both versions!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    I zipped through Return of the Jedi, both the Arista/Fox and the RCA/Sony edition and I just cannot decide whether

I love Ewok Celebration more than Victory Celebration!

I love both versions!

Volker

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Brick Lane - Jocelyn Pook

What a lovely bit of work this is! Delicate, melodic and chocfull of that Indian flavour I like so much when employed as "spice" in an otherwise occidental type of score. I'm really enjoying this: it's got a great flow, is as lyrical as anything and really makes for a lovely album.
    What a great find!
    What a pooking marvellous little score!