• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    Film Music 2012

Nice compilation of a dozen pieces from 2012 film music. By no means the tracks I would choose, but certainly represents most of the year's bigger box office successes. A shame eight minutes of the album are devoted to The Dark Knight Rises, a score that sounds worse and worse as time passes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    "Watership Down" and "Caravans" by Mike Batt

Both very good scores, particularly CARAVANS with that fantastic theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Film Music 2012

Nice compilation of a dozen pieces from 2012 film music. By no means the tracks I would choose, but certainly represents most of the year's bigger box office successes. A shame eight minutes of the album are devoted to The Dark Knight Rises, a score that sounds worse and worse as time passes.

What release is this James?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

beer
    Excellent stuff.

Big fan of Caravans.
    Big fan of pretty much everything by Mike Batt (aside from The Wombles wink ).
    Wrong thread, but did anyone ever hear his excellent concept albums Tarot Suite and The Hunting Of The Snark, the latter starring John Gielgud and John Hurt?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Film Music 2012

What release is this James?

Silva's annual compilation. It's Ok but I do miss Varese's best of albums from the mid 90's.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Personally, I am tired of these Silva compilations.

And yes I know that they are not designed for someone like me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Personally, I am tired of these Silva compilations.

They would be great if they were a bit more inspired. However, there's a suite from Ted on the album. That's... different. But what the hell is Madagascar 3 doing on the album?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

beer
    Excellent stuff.

Big fan of Caravans.
    Big fan of pretty much everything by Mike Batt (aside from The Wombles wink ).
    Wrong thread, but did anyone ever hear his excellent concept albums Tarot Suite and The Hunting Of The Snark, the latter starring John Gielgud and John Hurt?

Im a long time fan of Mike Batt. I have

Schizophonia
    Tarot Suite
    Waves
    Six Days in Berlin
    Songs of Love and War
    Caravans
    Watership Down
    The Hunting of the Snark
    Arabesque
    A Songwriter's Tale

"The Hunting of the Snark" is a timeless masterpiece. I discovered it around 1990 an played it ever since!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013
    Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

A work of stunning beauty, really, frequently forgotten by me as I look for joy in less obvious places. Still, my biggest joy in the score comes not from the obvious main theme or love theme, but the exquisite "youth theme" (or whatever you might call it), expressed with such unbridled joy in "Projection for Two". A masterpiece, for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Cinema Paradiso - Ennio Morricone

A work of stunning beauty, really, frequently forgotten by me as I look for joy in less obvious places. Still, my biggest joy in the score comes not from the obvious main theme or love theme, but the exquisite "youth theme" (or whatever you might call it), expressed with such unbridled joy in "Projection for Two". A masterpiece, for sure.

It's not surprising that it features in so many peoples favourites on various boards.
  3. I'd voice an opinion on Cinema Paradiso but I would be in the minority, with being hounded out of town a distinct possibility.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd voice an opinion on Cinema Paradiso but I would be in the minority, with being hounded out of town a distinct possibility.

I find it boring. But then, I'm not a Morricone fan.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    WITCHES!!!! BURN THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! devil
  4. I wonder what "a Morricone fan" actually means? It's not aimed specifically at you Josh, but his output is so varied that there's bound to me many who like some styles of his but don't like some of his other stuff.

I suppose that I'd call myself a fan, because when he's good he's VERY good. But there's a lot of uninteresting stuff and some downright unlistenable stuff too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I totally agree Alan. I am definitely a fan of Morricone but there are numerous works of his I find unlistenable.
  5. christopher wrote
    FOR GREATER GLORY - James Horner

Disappointing. I couldn't find much to like here, but plenty to dislike. The best part about it is the theme that reminds me of THE MISSING (a much better album, imo). "Cristeros" is the track that had the best version of that theme. I found the use of vocals on this score really grating! I didn't like the soloist, or the awful Spanish lyrics she was singing (seriously, those lyrics are terrible, and don't fit the timing of the melody at all), and I also disliked the AVATAR-like choir, which keeps popping up. I don't share the hatred of the four-note motif that some do, but after hearing it for the 42nd time on this score I was tired of it. As for Horner I far prefer his Spider-man score and BLACK GOLD over this.

angry angry angry

Seriously, am I the only person who liked this score?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Twould seem so!? Personally I haven't heard it.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I wonder what "a Morricone fan" actually means? It's not aimed specifically at you Josh, but his output is so varied that there's bound to me many who like some styles of his but don't like some of his other stuff.

I suppose that I'd call myself a fan, because when he's good he's VERY good. But there's a lot of uninteresting stuff and some downright unlistenable stuff too.

Yeah, I can understand that. I just haven't found anything of his that's really appealed to me. His voice just isn't to my taste (no matter the style because you can always hear it in there).

(I like bits and pieces of The Untouchables, though.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

No!!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. Scribe wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

No!!!

Do either of you speak Spanish? I might have liked that song if I couldn't understand it. It's like a whole string of Horner track titles....in Spanish....and it doesn't even sync with the melody!

I just finished William Ross's TOUCHBACK. I like my inspirational sports-movie scores a little more inspirational than this. It's really low key for almost the entire length of the album. There are three tracks at the end that check off the sports finale sound, though not with much character I'm afraid. Apparently he didn't have a big budget for the score, so I suppose it's pretty decent for what he had to work with.
  7. Man, sorry for all the negative posts lately, but I can't help it if I just happened to dislike 4 of the 5 five scores I purchased. And this is the worst of the bunch:

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: MISTS OF PANDARIA - Russell Brower

Wow. I don't usually run into a score that has so many tracks on it that I actually hate. There's some really unpleasant and weird music on this album. There's the weird gruff sounding guy who sings and laughs in "The Traveler's Path," the incredibly grating and unnerving "Sha (Spirits of Hatred)," and the straight up goofy "Stormstout Brew" to name the three worst offenders. There were a few tracks I enjoyed, but most of the best of it was just okay. The rest was annoying to awful. I'm astounded that so many folks over at filmtracks put this score in their top 10 for 2012. I can only think of a few scores in my entire collection that I liked less than this. Ugh.

On to JOURNEY 2: MYSTERIOUS ISLAND. Ah, that's much better.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DRAUGHTSMAN'S CONTRACT - Michael Nyman

The first Nyman album I owned ( I won it in a contest ) and I still love it.

Harpsicord FTW cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Two years ago today John Barry left us sad

DANCE WITH REALITY

A great jazz piece from the album THE BEYONDNESS OF THINGS
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2013 edited
    Wow! That is really good.

EDIT: ...and I found I have this album too.
    Why didn't I ever properly listen to it? shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Maybe because that track is a bit of an anomaly at the end of the album? The rest of it is more standard Barry fare like we're used to. I absolutely love the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TRON: UPRISING (Joseph Trapanese)

Daft Punk Lite...but still entertaining.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Maybe because that track is a bit of an anomaly at the end of the album? The rest of it is more standard Barry fare like we're used to. I absolutely love the album.

Here's my favourite track from the album...

GIFTS OF NATURE

In fact it's one of my all time favourite pieces of music, it just moves me very deeply in a way I can't explain and maybe don't need to. I love the photography from the poster, I'm sure it's Dartmoor which is not overly far from where I am, a beautiful marriage of image and music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Listening now. It's quite the melancholy album, is it not?
    I like it rather more than I thought I might.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Listening now. It's quite the melancholy album, is it not?
    I like it rather more than I thought I might.

smile beer

There was always melancholy in JB's music but I think after his near death experience* in 1988 his music became, in most instances, even more melancholy and very introspective.

*That he lived another 23 years was a blessing not lost on me though I still miss him greatly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    WITCHES!!!! BURN THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! devil

They turned me into a newt!!!