• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Watching the clip of John Barry ( which I posted in the JOHN BARRY thread ) I've been influenced to play this...

NP : THE IPCRESS FILE - John Barry

I also always associate this score with snowy winters, not because it's cold war spy drama but simply because when I received the LP ( in the post from some long forgotten outlet ) it was during a very snowy winter and I remember playing this at my parents sitting next to a real fire gazing at the snow bound streets outside. I also link Michel Legrand's THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR in the same way and it's not coincidence that that LP arrived in the same package.

Here's a track from Ipcress...

Meeting With Grantby and The Fight

A perfectly scored scene in the film, a fight on the steps of the Royal Albert Hall viewed from the interior of a phone box, Barry nails the 'unreality' of it perfectly.

It seems only fair to play Ipcress "sister" score and one of my favourite Intrada releases from last year...

NP : THE QUILLER MEMORANDUM - John Barry

A great and very creepy score. Barry got offered a lot of Spy movies during the 60's and I'm glad he didn't turn these two down, though still very much stamped with the Barry sound both of these scores are markedly different from his Bond work.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2013 edited
    NP: The NeverEnding Story - Klaus Doldinger

A huge hit of nostalgia! This is one of those quintessential 80's fantasy adventure scores/films that set my imagination soaring as a kid! Gotta love "Bastian's Happy Flight." <-- The thing goosebumps are made out of!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For me, it's both nostalgia and great music all at the same time. However, as much as I love the Doldinger portion, I think I prefer the Moroder more. However, it's the mix of the two that is the real attraction.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Never Ending Story - Klaus Doldinger

A huge hit of nostalgia! This is one of those quintessential 80's fantasy adventure scores/films that set my imagination soaring as a kid! Gotta love "Bastian's Happy Flight." <-- The thing goosebumps are made out of!

-Erik-

I never cared for the film ( maybe I was already too old ) but I do have nostalgic feelings for the score which I still love today. I have it on CD which is purely Doldinger's score and I also have it on LP where one side is Giorgio Moroder's effort plus Limahl's song.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    For me, it's both nostalgia and great music all at the same time.

Did I say that it wasn't good music???

confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The NeverEnding Story II - Robert Folk

A more traditional approach to scoring then the Doldinger/Moroder effort in the first film. Sweeping string themes, childlike woodwind melodies and bold brass lead action material. Great stuff!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: The Impossible (Velassssquesss)

As Emotionally manipulative as sugar!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The NeverEnding Story II - Robert Folk

A more traditional approach to scoring then the Doldinger/Moroder effort in the first film. Sweeping string themes, childlike woodwind melodies and bold brass lead action material. Great stuff!

-Erik-

the love the way it opens with the first notes of the main theme of the first NeverEnding Story smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Nautilus wrote
    NP: The Impossible (Velassssquesss)

...emotionally manipulative...

In the sense that he has the ability to tap into peoples' emotions and elicit a response from the majority?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    For me, it's both nostalgia and great music all at the same time.

Did I say that it wasn't good music???

confused

-Erik-

No, but sometimes when you have a nostalgic connection to something (be it music or films or whatever), you tend to disregard certain flaws (that's 'you' in a general sense, not 'you' as in Erik Woods). And sometimes -- like in this case -- they co-exist perfectly. One often describes the former category as 'guilty pleasures'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FLUBBER (Danny Elfman)

We're up to the F's now. Never really liked this one -- noisy and "screamy" (if that makes sense) for the most part, but the mambo is fun.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: FLUBBER (Danny Elfman)

We're up to the F's now. Never really liked this one -- noisy and "screamy" (if that makes sense) for the most part, but the mambo is fun.

^
    I managed to watch about 20 minutes of the film once.................

NP : OUTLAND - Jerry Goldsmith

An outstanding score with perfectly integrated electronics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nautilus wrote

shocked
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Jordi makes a surprise cameo appearance!

NP: FORBIDDEN ZONE (Danny Elfman)

The most bizarre soundtrack I have and have ever heard.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THEMES TO REMEMBER (various)

An old compilation LP (transferred to CD) with Stanley Wilson and his orchestra performing swingin' themes from film and tv. Contains a few Williams themes and some other cool stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I am just listening to Bear McCreary's score from "Battlestar Galactica's" final episode "Daybreak". I love all of McCreary's "Battlestar" albums but this score has to be th crown jewel. I consider it one of the best TV scores I know.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    I am just listening to Bear McCreary's score from "Battlestar Galactica's" final episode "Daybreak". I love all of McCreary's "Battlestar" albums but this score has to be th crown jewel. I consider it one of the best TV scores I know.

Volker

I agree. And it's very throughtfully produced. Not too much music (there's at least thirty minutes more in the episode) and not too little.
  3. Just finished BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD. There's nothing particularly memorable about the melodies of this score for me, but there is something about the sound of it that I really enjoy. "Confrontation" is a very enjoyable piece of music, I think. What's going on in this album is always interesting. I like it. It's just outside my personal top 10 for 2012.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    christopher wrote
    Just finished BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD. There's nothing particularly memorable about the melodies of this score for me, but there is something about the sound of it that I really enjoy. "Confrontation" is a very enjoyable piece of music, I think. What's going on in this album is always interesting. I like it. It's just outside my personal top 10 for 2012.

Have you seen the film? It works effortlessly there. On disc, I find the music too repetitive to really sustain its length. Love that closing track, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I really like that score. It's not too long and has the right amount of variation for me. It indeed helps when you've seen the movie, although I was a fan before I saw it.

THE UNTOUCHABLES | ennio morricone

The End Titles is one of my favourite pieces from this composer, and it was such a pity it got only a few renditions on the original release. The new La-La Land release is terrific. The theme shines throughout the score and ends the cd. What a great score!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: GOOD WILL HUNTING (Danny Elfman)

Lovely score as it just tingles around with its slightly Irish feel (for some reason). My kind of Elfman these days. It's a shame it only exists as a promo release (except the songtrack with a couple of tracks).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Josh B wrote
    christopher wrote
    Just finished BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD. There's nothing particularly memorable about the melodies of this score for me, but there is something about the sound of it that I really enjoy. "Confrontation" is a very enjoyable piece of music, I think. What's going on in this album is always interesting. I like it. It's just outside my personal top 10 for 2012.

Have you seen the film? It works effortlessly there. On disc, I find the music too repetitive to really sustain its length. Love that closing track, though.

I haven't, though it's on my list of things to see. I thought the length of the CD was just right. I like short albums. Some scores are good enough to sustain an hour long presentation, but most (including this one) benefit greatly from just a half hour (or so) of highlights. I thought the albums was produced very well. I'm sure seeing the film will enhance my opinion of it. Do we know anything about the composers? (Dan Romer and Benh Zietlin - I'd never heard of them before this score).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote

Lovely score as it just tingles around with its slightly Irish feel (for some reason).

The film takes place in Boston that's why.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    christopher wrote
    Do we know anything about the composers? (Dan Romer and Benh Zietlin - I'd never heard of them before this score).

Benh is also the director of the film. They collaborated earlier on Glory at Sea, which Alan reviewed some time ago.
    https://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2012/05 … h-zeitlin/
    Kazoo
  5. Today in the mail "Oliver Twist" by Arnold Bax (The Film Music of ... Chandos; BBC Philhamonic & Rumon Gamba). I never saw the film but the music sounds fantastic.

I also bought "Full Metal Jacket" by Abigail Mead. To my dismay it would not play on my PC, let alone let itself be ripped to the system. A quick research: Appearently it's not a standart CD AUDIO by the book and won't play on all players. Not sure how to sort that out. crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Today in the mail "Oliver Twist" by Arnold Bax (The Film Music of ... Chandos; BBC Philhamonic & Rumon Gamba). I never saw the film but the music sounds fantastic.

cool beer

p.s. The film ( dr: David Lean ) is very worth watching.
  6. Is it a weird CD format or was it pressed when there was all the anxiety about ripping CDs and was therefore copy-protected?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Lovely score as it just tingles around with its slightly Irish feel (for some reason).

-Erik-

Good point. I had forgotten about that. The bluecollar environment in Boston.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Good point. I had forgotten about that. The bluecollar environment in Boston.

No, because of the large number of Irish Americans living in the city. The basketball team is called the Boston Celtics for a reason.

-Erik-
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is it a weird CD format or was it pressed when there was all the anxiety about ripping CDs and was therefore copy-protected?

The former, it's a wierd CD format. I can't find any further information, but it's not a stadart CDA.