• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP - LIFE OF PI - Michael Danna

I'm giving this one another shot. I know a lot of you really like this one, but I've found it difficult to get excited about. It's fine music and very pleasant to have on in the background, but to just listen to it gets dull for me. Even the track Tsimsum, which everyone is wild about, while I do like it, doesn't wow me like it seems to for everyone else. Listening to it while reading Southall's review has helped me to appreciate it more, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2013
    DANNY ELFMAN - frankenweenie

I saw this film tonight and the already beautifully thematic score on CD became even better through the movie..those Elfman melodies and instrumentation are a win-win situation here!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. It's amazing the output of Elfman in 2012 - a year of Desplat-ian proportions!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2013
    Absolutely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's amazing the output of Elfman in 2012 - a year of Desplat-ian proportions!!

In quantity if not quality! wink
  3. christopher wrote
    NP - LIFE OF PI - Michael Danna

I'm giving this one another shot. I know a lot of you really like this one, but I've found it difficult to get excited about. It's fine music and very pleasant to have on in the background, but to just listen to it gets dull for me. Even the track Tsimsum, which everyone is wild about, while I do like it, doesn't wow me like it seems to for everyone else. Listening to it while reading Southall's review has helped me to appreciate it more, though.

Have you seen the movie?
  4. If had meant that James I would have said that Elfman had had a year that was of Morricone-ian proportions?

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's amazing the output of Elfman in 2012 - a year of Desplat-ian proportions!!

In quantity if not quality! wink

Both. The only score of his I didn't really like this year was MEN IN BLACK 3.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Frankly I didn't think either Elfman or Desplat had their finest year in 2012, but there was certainly no shortage of new music.
  5. Southall wrote
    Frankly I didn't think either Elfman or Desplat had their finest year in 2012, but there was certainly no shortage of new music.

I think that Elfman managed to turn his hand to quite a number of different musical genres and - in large part - succeeded in coming up with strong titles in most cases (like Thor, I didn't really warm much to Men In Black 3).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I think that Elfman managed to turn his hand to quite a number of different musical genres and - in large part - succeeded in coming up with strong titles in most cases (like Thor, I didn't really warm much to Men In Black 3).

I didn't dislike any of Elfman's scores but I couldn't really bring myself to love any of them, either. I know a lot of people liked Dark Shadows and Frankenweenie but I found them both very slightly irritating. Even Hitchcock sounded like something he could write in his sleep.
  6. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP - LIFE OF PI - Michael Danna

Have you seen the movie?

I plan to, but I missed it when it went through theaters, so I'll have to wait a while now. I understand it was awesome in 3D. Oh well.
  7. I recommend it. One of the best films of the past 10 years.

NP: Enemy at the Gates - James Horner

One day I'm going to put a playlist together of my favorite pieces from Horner. I think "The River" will be among the most played.
  8. Demetris wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP - Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Just finishing up my first listen. Lockington does action/adventure quite well. "Mysterious Island Main Titles" is great! And who knew Dwayne Johnson could sing? He's pretty good.

I like this score very much, considering we hear so much crud these days in today's blockbusters. At least this is exciting and fully orchestral

and yeah, I saw the film first and was pleasantly surprised by Dwayne's singing smile

Be sure to listen to Greg Edmonson's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune which is a mindblowing score.

I heard a 30 minute effort of it, good but not great, the second or third I only spotted in the game (but it sounded good)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    christopher wrote
    NP - Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Just finishing up my first listen. Lockington does action/adventure quite well. "Mysterious Island Main Titles" is great! And who knew Dwayne Johnson could sing? He's pretty good.

I like this score very much, considering we hear so much crud these days in today's blockbusters. At least this is exciting and fully orchestral

and yeah, I saw the film first and was pleasantly surprised by Dwayne's singing smile

Be sure to listen to Greg Edmonson's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune which is a mindblowing score.

I heard a 30 minute effort of it, good but not great, the second or third I only spotted in the game (but it sounded good)

I am talking about the first score of the three...is it the same you listened?
  9. yes the first, could be that I heard a short promo of it, but I remember it was about 20 to 30 minutes long.
    But I like the scores a lot, because I'm a huge fan of the games as well. So I know its quality wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. Out of Africa John Barry

Listening to this while in a hammock on a beach on Lake Malawi, perfection! Listening to the varese McNeely/RSNO version which I prefer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Chambers wrote
    Out of Africa John Barry

Listening to this while in a hammock on a beach on Lake Malawi, perfection! Listening to the varese McNeely/RSNO version which I prefer.

Sounds perfect! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Kind of OT: What should I be playing?

There is this anthology of (mostly) British film music on the chandos lable, featuring The BBC Philharmonic conducted by Rumon Gamba.
    I have in my Collection the CDs dedicated to

Richard Rodney Bennett
    Ralph Vaughn Williams and
    John Addison

I have to say, this series features a great many composers that I am completely unfamiliar with as I am mostly with the films they scored. Please check the following list:

William Alwyn (Of whom I knew the name at any rate.)
    Arthur Bliss
    Arnold Bax
    Francis Chagrin
    Stanley Black
    Clifton Parker
    Malcom Arnold
    Christopher Gunning

Who of you learned fellows is familiar with any of these? Any recommendations?

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would say ALL OF THEM!

If I were to pick out some particular favourites it would be Christopher Gunning ( and probably the composer who would go down well best with most here at this board being the most modern ), Arthur Bliss, Malcolm Arnold and possibly my favourite of those is Clifton Parker. All seriously good music, real juicy listening especially in these anaemic times.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I would say ALL OF THEM!

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Priceless - Naoki Sato

It's a bit cheesy (OK, it's cheesier than a plate full of cheese with a side order of cheese) but pretty enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2013 edited
    ^ One of the very best scores of the year! Whoops.... did I give something away?! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. Yes, that you have a good sense of humour!

I can't hear what elevates this above most of the rest this year's worthwhile scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, there are still 5 other scores that are better than it. wink Anyway, I'll explain everything tomorrow!

-Erik-
  13. Looking forward to the rest of your list - and your votes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Isabel - Federico Jusid

Lovely (if monothematic) music. Enjoying it a lot.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Mama - Fernando Velázquez

There's some very accomplished writing here. Your usual horror film brass and screechy strings but also some very quiet, tender cues too. The long finale packs a punch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Isabel - Federico Jusid

Lovely (if monothematic) music. Enjoying it a lot.

Another best of 2012 score!
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/the-best-scores-of-2012/

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Priceless - Naoki Sato

It's a bit cheesy (OK, it's cheesier than a plate full of cheese with a side order of cheese) but pretty enjoyable.

The most American score i've heard this year wink Has some very nice and enjoyable parts, but overall slightly more on the cheese site than i'd prefer.