• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That would be actually somehow hilarious if he scored the remake of something he'd scored years before! Wasn't Goldsmith also slated for replacement? I think I read that on your site.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Yes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Justin, I intend to check up on some things you state with Hans Zimmer himself when I get to talk to him (be it Facebook or however). I am especially interested in 1492 and Finding Nemo (I wouldn't see it as very sensible if he was asked to do a Pixar project, which was quite prestigious, to a stupid Dreamworks parody, which actually ended up being one of his very worst scores).

Also the backstory of Backdraft was once explained by Horner, I read it on some website. Zimmer was on it from scratch, because Horner had a scheduling conflict (they did ask him) and he and Zimmer had the same agent.

I would be very interested in getting the story of Frost/Nixon right, Hans was slated to do it (according to news websites) from a very early point (I think it was pre-production).

Also, Add Paul Oakenfold to your post about Collateral, Hans was slated to collaborate with Oakenfold from the scratch. I actually assume that Collateral wasn't a plain rejection, but a scheduling conflict (luckily you didn't put Kingdom of Heaven on your list, I know from the firsthand source what happened there, it was a scheduling conflict with Spanglish and Hans chose to do something else than rehashing Gladiator again; actually I heard also rumors about him being present on the recording sessions and giving some advice to Gregson-Williams).
  4. Thanks. I'm always glad to have some help clearing things up. People often forget how hard it is to find some information, and research 3,000 different titles.

I'm actually doing minor edits right now to the Supposedly page, so I'll add Oakenfold
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013
    NP: Breaking And Entering - Gabriel Yared and Underworld

A really good 'just-before-bed' score. A Happy Toast is particularly nice.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I shouldn't be surprised Lee went to bed only 4 hours ago. wink

METSÄN TARINA | panu aaltio

I'm enjoying this one a lot. There are two really lovely themes. The energetic one, that also opens the last track in its most enjoyable version, is very catchy too. I can agree with all the positive sentiments that have been expressed about this score. Thank you for putting this on Spotify too!
    Kazoo
  5. Thor wrote
    For me, it's both nostalgia and great music all at the same time. However, as much as I love the Doldinger portion, I think I prefer the Moroder more. However, it's the mix of the two that is the real attraction.

Die unendliche Geschichte
    I hate that Moroder / Limahl crap with a passion, so I never bought the American score but stuck to the German version that is Doldinger only as is the German cut of the film. Of course I am a Doldinger fanboy and tempering with a score of his is sacrilege. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote
    In unexpected synchronicity (although when considering the composer's most prodigious output, the odds probably aren't even that low), I am playing Elmer Bernstein's Rat Race.

Is this the rejected score that John Powell was hired to replace?

Bernstein scored the old film, then he recorded a score for the 2001 film by the same name and that one was rejected.

http://www.rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/list.html

To clear up some potential confusion: the only similarity is in the name. One is not a remake of the other.
    1960's The Rat Race is a drama based on the book by Jay Franklin about a jazz saxophonist trying to get ahead in the world. It was never remade (as far as I'm aware).

2001's Rat Race is pretty much a remake of the all-star screwball comedy It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Elmer's apparent involvement in both films is nothing but coincidence.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Captain Future wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is it a weird CD format or was it pressed when there was all the anxiety about ripping CDs and was therefore copy-protected?

The former, it's a wierd CD format. I can't find any further information, but it's not a stadart CDA.

So now I tried it on onther PC and it worked just fine. It must have been some incompatwhatever between the CD and my drive. Problem solved.

Volker
  7. justin boggan wrote
    Thanks. I'm always glad to have some help clearing things up. People often forget how hard it is to find some information, and research 3,000 different titles.

I'm actually doing minor edits right now to the Supposedly page, so I'll add Oakenfold

To make it more precise about Backdraft, Horner (that was a seminar or something) didn't use the particular title, but knowing the biographies he was talking about Backdraft, because he mentioned it was Ron Howard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    For me, it's both nostalgia and great music all at the same time. However, as much as I love the Doldinger portion, I think I prefer the Moroder more. However, it's the mix of the two that is the real attraction.

I hate that Moroder / Limahl crap with a passion, so I never bought the American score but stuck to the German version that is Doldinger only as is the German cut of the film. Of course I am a Doldinger fanboy and tempering with a score of his is sacrilege. smile

Volker

Vice versa, I'm somewhat of a Moroder fanboy, but I am obviously more positive to the Doldinger portion than you are to the Moroder.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Django - Luis Bacalov

One of the greatest spaghetti western scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yep.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wrong thread.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Volker

Vice versa, I'm somewhat of a Moroder fanboy, but I am obviously more positive to the Doldinger portion than you are to the Moroder.

That's right. Let's exchange "crap" for "music". Come to think of it I don't even know Moroders music very well ... and I have just ordered the US version of the score ... shame

Cheers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm a huge fan of electropop, and I love both Moroder's work in that arena as well as his instrumental work. He has such a recognizable voice -- especially the almost "Middle Eastern"-type harmonies and the use of various types of Moog, ARP and Korg synths. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS and NEVERENDING STORY are both brilliant, but you should give SCARFACE a listen if you haven't already. It's really the pulse and soul of that film.

In the same vein, I also love Doldinger's DAS BOOT -- which isn't THAT far removed from Moroder's work, style-wise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Age Of Heroes - Michael Richard Plowman

Lovely score which has some great action cues ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE KINGDOM (Danny Elfman)

I love this. Slightly post-rock vibe with some cool exotic percussive/sample effects scattered about.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE THREE MUSKETEERS - Michel Legrand

A great romp!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. LINCOLN - John Williams

Some of the tracks are pretty dull, but there are some lovely pieces of music on this album. "With Malice Toward None" being one of the best.
  10. I listened to "The Film Music of Richard Rodney Bennett" (Chandos) again this morning and found that the theme from "The Love of Lady Caroline Lamb" odly reminds me of "The Sign of Four" by Harry Rabinowitz, a score I love and have no hope to ever get released.

Anyway, later all that talk about Giacchino possibly scoring STAR WARS VII over at the Filmtracks scoreboard promted me to listen to "John Carter" and "Lost, Vol. 4". OK, let him do it if the maestro diclines to.

Volker
  11. Southall wrote
    Django - Luis Bacalov

Is this the score that Quentin Tarantino clipped from for his Django?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    Django - Luis Bacalov

One of them, yes. I hope it inspires a few people to buy the Bacalov score, which is a masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote
    Django - Luis Bacalov

One of them, yes. I hope it inspires a few people to buy the Bacalov score, which is a masterpiece.

But Bacalov also wrote a new, original theme for Django in the Tarantino film, right? That's what the credits say, anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Not as far as I know! There's a new song by Morricone but I think all the Bacalov is from the 1966 score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The new Morricone song is lovely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Yes. It works well in the movie.
  13. Revolutionary Road - Thomas Newman

I don't think it's a coincidence that Newman's best scores are for Sam Mendes films (this, Road to Perdition, American Beauty, Skyfall). They both bring the best out of each other.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CAT PEOPLE - Giorgio Moroder

Perfect music for the sexy Natasja Kinski love

THE MYTH
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Pretty much any track from James Horner's Enemy at the Gates, especially the first and last cues.

Thor wrote
    What about Zimmer's THE PEACEMAKER?

DR. ZHIVAGO has lots too.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    "March of The Old Guard" - Republic: The Revolution - James Hannigan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a9xIvWgPHs

"Overture" - Ivan The Terrible - Sergei Prokofiev

Come to mind immediately.

Thanks, guys!

I have The peacemaker, but for some unknown reason I've never really listened to it. I've never really fallen for the russian stuff in Dr. Zhivago, or the Ivan the terrible overture. Enemy of the gates I need to get to know better. The Hannigan piece I didn't know at all before now, and I like that very much. That's going right into the russian choir compilation.

Peter smile