• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2013
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Isabel - Federico Jusid

Lovely (if monothematic) music. Enjoying it a lot.

Another best of 2012 score!
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/the-best-scores-of-2012/

-Erik-

Absolutely wonderful score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2013
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Priceless - Naoki Sato

It's a bit cheesy (OK, it's cheesier than a plate full of cheese with a side order of cheese) but pretty enjoyable.

The most American score i've heard this year wink Has some very nice and enjoyable parts, but overall slightly more on the cheese site than i'd prefer.

Me too. I can see why some people would love it, but a bit OTT for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2013 edited
    Demetris wrote
    The most American score i've heard this year wink

You've heard Lincoln, right?

Demetris wrote
    Has some very nice and enjoyable parts, but overall slightly more on the cheese site than i'd prefer.

Explain how it's cheesy? THAT I don't get.

confused

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2013
    Parade of the Athletes David Arnold

Proves he's still capable of knocking out some fantastic themes with just a 'slight' nod to Independence Day.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Priceless - Naoki Sato

It's a bit cheesy (OK, it's cheesier than a plate full of cheese with a side order of cheese) but pretty enjoyable.

The most American score i've heard this year wink Has some very nice and enjoyable parts, but overall slightly more on the cheese site than i'd prefer.

i think the orchestration sounds very "american", but the themes are very japanese. i wouldn't say it's cheesy, but full of emotions. typical for japanese drama scores. the performance is always very intense. it's always a bit "more", so the audience really know what's going on. sometimes it's like "overacting". this score by sato is an interesting mix of western orchestration and japanese themes and melodies. and a track like MAKE MY DAY has sato in almost all of his scores. the instrumentation and build up of this track is typical for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2013 edited
    NP: Person of Interest - Ramin Djawadi

As far as Episodic TV scoring goes, this is pretty good. Good background listening (on repeat, especially) stuff that didn't leave me bored. I've not seen the show, though I really want to, since it's the kind of show I'd like to spend time on. It's similar to his Safe House score so if you like that one, you won't have a problem with this either. As a part of Ramin's TV discography, it's a fine addition, and overall, as a composer, he's yet to disappoint me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    Kind of OT: What should I be playing?

There is this anthology of (mostly) British film music on the chandos lable, featuring The BBC Philharmonic conducted by Rumon Gamba.
    I have in my Collection the CDs dedicated to

Who of you learned fellows is familiar with any of these? Any recommendations?

Cheers!
    Volker

Some of my breif reviews which can be found right here on the message board.

RON GOODWIN RECORDING
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … 785#Item_6

ARNOLD BAX RECORDING
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_145255

FRANCIS CHAGRIN RECORDING
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_146431

SIR ARTHUR BLISS RECORDING
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_146524

RICHARD ADDINSEL RECORDING
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_146568

DIMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH VOL 1 RECORDING
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_146993

DIMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH VOL 2 RECORDING
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_176340

DIMITRI SHOSTAKOVICH VOL 3 RECORDING

VAUGHN WILLIAMS VOL 2 RECORDING
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ent_159257

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Since Naoki Sato was mentioned, I thought I'd share this track. Yes, it's utterly delicious and you're welcome.

Peter punk
  1. Lincoln - John Williams

Honestly I think much of this meanders on in second fiddle to the movie, but it picks up towards the end. "The Peterson House and Finale" is pretty good. It's a nice suite of all the main themes that ends with a lovely piano solo.

Piano music is always a good thing. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2013
    ^ Its brilliantly spotted and when ever the score appears it plays a significant role with the drama unfolding on screen. Excellent, EXCELLENT music!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2013
    Questa Specie d'Amore - Ennio Morricone

It's very hard to find information out about most Morricone-scored films. I've found two reviews of this one, one of which says it's a comedy and the other says it's a serious drama. Listening to the music, you'd think it was a ravishing romance. In fact I'd go so far as to say that I can't think of any other film score which so perfectly expresses the feeling of being in love. It's top-tier Morricone and as beautiful as film scores get.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Its brilliantly spotted and when ever the score appears it plays a significant role with the drama unfolding on screen. Excellent, EXCELLENT music!

-Erik-

War Horse is excellent. Lincoln is just solid.
  3. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

War Horse is excellent. Lincoln is just solid.

I'd put it the other way around.

If I consider “Tintin”, “War Horse” and “Lincoln” I am amazed be the stylistic diversity that Williams is capable of while maintaining at the same time a standard of quality that eclipses 80% of film music production in current Hollywood by comparison.

After repeated listening to “Lincoln” I am excited to be re-introduced to the more quiet side of the maestro’s oeuvre with a score so subtle and elegant like this. The piano driven theme is an instant reminder of his great score for “JFK” – no coincidence for sure.

I stand in awe!

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2013
    Southall wrote

It's very hard to find information out about most Morricone-scored films. I've found two reviews of this one, one of which says it's a comedy and the other says it's a serious drama. Listening to the music, you'd think it was a ravishing romance. In fact I'd go so far as to say that I can't think of any other film score which so perfectly expresses the feeling of being in love. It's top-tier Morricone and as beautiful as film scores get.

Have been listening to a lot of Morricone the past weeks, a combination of the concert in Antwerp and you review selection. This score is lovely! Quite a memorable main theme, and variety of pieces. ALl in the same dreamy mood. Unpretentious beautiful music.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote

...Listening to the music, you'd think it was a ravishing romance. In fact I'd go so far as to say that I can't think of any other film score which so perfectly expresses the feeling of being in love. It's top-tier Morricone and as beautiful as film scores get.

YES!!!

Bregt wrote
    This score is lovely! Quite a memorable main theme, and variety of pieces. ALl in the same dreamy mood. Unpretentious beautiful music.

YES!!!

6 themes, in a single score, and each one of them wonderful. A rare treat in film music, to be treated with so many themes in a single score, and even rarer when they are all great.

Peter love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Gangster Squad - Steve Jablonsky

Listening to this after two weeks of literally nothing but Morricone is probably not doing it any favours, but to be honest it sounded awful when I listened to it before the Morricone and it sounds awful now.
  4. Any chance you'll be reviewing OTHER composers anytime soon?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    No!!!

The Morricone extravaganza must continue!

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Andre Previn's "A Bad Day at Black Rock," which has orchestrations by Alexander Courage.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cefalonia - Ennio Morricone

Can't stop listening to his music at the moment (you may have noticed). This is another grand work by the Maestro, a relatively recent one, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013
    NP: Nostromo - Ennio Morricone

First listen.... (in any capacity)

Jesus Christ.
  5. Beyond Borders - James Horner

An eclectic, funky, but overall understated and underrated gem.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Watching the clip of John Barry ( which I posted in the JOHN BARRY thread ) I've been influenced to play this...

NP : THE IPCRESS FILE - John Barry

I also always associate this score with snowy winters, not because it's cold war spy drama but simply because when I received the LP ( in the post from some long forgotten outlet ) it was during a very snowy winter and I remember playing this at my parents sitting next to a real fire gazing at the snow bound streets outside. I also link Michel Legrand's THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR in the same way and it's not coincidence that that LP arrived in the same package.

Here's a track from Ipcress...

Meeting With Grantby and The Fight

A perfectly scored scene in the film, a fight on the steps of the Royal Albert Hall viewed from the interior of a phone box, Barry nails the 'unreality' of it perfectly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Wyatt Earp - James Newton Howard

Classy thematic materials in this very enjoyable orchestral score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013 edited
    NP: The Fugitive - James Newton Howard

The 90s was a good year for James. I really like some of the action writing he did for this movie. And the cue that ended up in all of the thriller previews afterward is a classic for all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Dinosaurs - James Newton Howard

It has everything I like, the African-Western combo, the JNH orchestral writing style, minus some of the mickey-mousing. Very enjoyable score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's DINOSAUR, not DINOSAURS.

But yeah...all those three are great JNH scores, composed in the period I was really into his stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    That's DINOSAUR, not DINOSAURS.

But yeah...all those three are great JNH scores, composed in the period I was really into his stuff.

Yeah, I've always had a problem with plural, and not looking at the album cover. tongue

Seems like the 90s was an excellent period for many composers.

And it seems like I'm in the mood for the music of James today.

NP: Peter Pan - James Newton Howard

Not sure if I like this score with its multiple instances of mickey mousing... That Flying theme is kick ass though. I'd listen to it on repeat on anyday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    lp wrote

NP: Peter Pan - James Newton Howard

Not sure if I like this score with its multiple instances of mickey mousing... That Flying theme is kick ass though. I'd listen to it on repeat on anyday.

Nope, not really liking this.