• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Not as far as I know! There's a new song by Morricone but I think all the Bacalov is from the 1966 score.

For real? It's presented over the main credits as if it's a new piece!?

Well, you learn something new every day.

Incidentally, does anyone know where in the film the new Morricone piece plays?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It plays [spoiler]before Django and his wife meet again, while the maids are getting the tables ready for a dinner at Monsieur Candie's house[/spoiler].
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ah, thanks. I'm trying to remember back, but can't. At least now I know what to listen for the next time I see it.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote
    In unexpected synchronicity (although when considering the composer's most prodigious output, the odds probably aren't even that low), I am playing Elmer Bernstein's Rat Race.

Is this the rejected score that John Powell was hired to replace?

Bernstein scored the old film, then he recorded a score for the 2001 film by the same name and that one was rejected.

http://www.rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/list.html

To clear up some potential confusion: the only similarity is in the name. One is not a remake of the other.
    1960's The Rat Race is a drama based on the book by Jay Franklin about a jazz saxophonist trying to get ahead in the world. It was never remade (as far as I'm aware).

2001's Rat Race is pretty much a remake of the all-star screwball comedy It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Elmer's apparent involvement in both films is nothing but coincidence.

Yes, it's rare, but composers do sometiems score films with similar or completely identical titles. I know there are more, but I can only think of one of the top of my head:

Howard Shore scored a film called "Spider". And he's also doing a film called "The Spider".

PawelStroinski:
    To make it more precise about Backdraft, Horner (that was a seminar or something) didn't use the particular title, but knowing the biographies he was talking about Backdraft, because he mentioned it was Ron Howard.

I'm not sure I got it -- let me see if I do:
    Horner said at a seminar he was on this film, but did not mention it by title, giving instead only Ron Howard's name.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2013
    Bregt wrote
    I shouldn't be surprised Lee went to bed only 4 hours ago. wink

wink
  2. justin boggan wrote
    Martijn wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    lp wrote
    Martijn wrote
    In unexpected synchronicity (although when considering the composer's most prodigious output, the odds probably aren't even that low), I am playing Elmer Bernstein's Rat Race.

Is this the rejected score that John Powell was hired to replace?

Bernstein scored the old film, then he recorded a score for the 2001 film by the same name and that one was rejected.

http://www.rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/list.html

To clear up some potential confusion: the only similarity is in the name. One is not a remake of the other.
    1960's The Rat Race is a drama based on the book by Jay Franklin about a jazz saxophonist trying to get ahead in the world. It was never remade (as far as I'm aware).

2001's Rat Race is pretty much a remake of the all-star screwball comedy It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

Elmer's apparent involvement in both films is nothing but coincidence.

Yes, it's rare, but composers do sometiems score films with similar or completely identical titles. I know there are more, but I can only think of one of the top of my head:

Howard Shore scored a film called "Spider". And he's also doing a film called "The Spider".

PawelStroinski:
    To make it more precise about Backdraft, Horner (that was a seminar or something) didn't use the particular title, but knowing the biographies he was talking about Backdraft, because he mentioned it was Ron Howard.

I'm not sure I got it -- let me see if I do:
    Horner said at a seminar he was on this film, but did not mention it by title, giving instead only Ron Howard's name.

No. Horner said that he was asked to do a Ron Howard movie in 1991, but didn't have time to do it, so they gave the project to a composer, who had the same agent (aka Hans Zimmer). It was a scheduling conflict, simply.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. To make it even simpler, Horner said no WHEN he was asked, not after being for the project for a while.
  4. I was just listening to Frank Sinatra at the Movies. It features five songs form the TV production Our Town. Now, I love Thornton Wilders play to pieces. There are few things in literature that have ever moved me so deeply as that play. And for the life of me I can't imagine how a song like "Love and Marriage" might coincide with the mood of that play! That production (1955) seems to be rather obscure albite Paul Newman starring. Has anyone ever seen that film?

Sadly I never saw any adaptation. My first one to go for would be the 1940 production featuring music by Aaron Copland ( starring William Holden and Martha Scott)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CINEMA SEPTET (Christopher Young)

Great 2CD set with suites of some of Young's late 80's and early 90's scores that aren't available elsewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: CINEMA SEPTET (Christopher Young)

Great 2CD set with suites of some of Young's late 80's and early 90's scores that aren't available elsewhere.

I should dig that one out, I've not heard it in years.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013 edited
    NP: Star Wars - John Williams

My favourite tracks from this score shuffled up to the top of the playlist and so bedtime will have to be delayed somewhat!

And it's tracks from the Anthology boxed set so there's a lot of tracks from the original 2 LP release from 35 years ago...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013
    Star Wars - John Williams

Hell, why not? Haven't listened to it about a year, it looks like a party has already started one post above mine and I craved John Wiliams. Win, win and win!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Backdraft (Complete Score) - Hans Zimmer

So I've listened to this version about 3 times now, and, it's amazing. This is an excellent Zimmer score from his early post Rain Man period. It's amazingly thematic, more so than the official album would let you believe. The missing action cues and suspense cues really adds to the complexity of the score. Some of the action passages are typical of Zimmer at that time, extremely scene specific, adhering to the action beats, and less to the overall mood like he does now. The quality of the release is surprisingly excellent, with no distortions or artifacts that I can hear. I would love to get a legit version from LLLR (or any record companies). This score really deserve it. I was never a big fan of it, to be honest, but I really am now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Complete!! shocked

That would be nice if the unreleased stuff is just as good as the released score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of my favourite Zimmer scores, I'm happy with the official album but am intrigued to hear the rest. I've not seen the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love BACKDRAFT (the songs too), but your description makes me a bit worried. It doesn't sound like the unreleased cues have much of a standalone value?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Complete!! shocked

That would be nice if the unreleased stuff is just as good as the released score.

IMHO, it really is about fleshing out the score. The official release has about one major action section that has been edited into two tracks. The boot has two action set pieces and they mirror each other somewhat; one is erratic, unstructured, while the latter one is a more controlled, matured version of the former. I don't think that addition is better, but it does provide clarity, and that's a huge plus.

I really enjoyed finding out that the main action theme in "You Go, We Go" really is the William Baldwin's character theme. This theme appear really early in the movie, when he started his job with the CFD. The normal arrangement of this theme has its original iteration in Rain Man too, which is interesting.

Thor wrote
    I love BACKDRAFT (the songs too), but your description makes me a bit worried. It doesn't sound like the unreleased cues have much of a standalone value?

Overall if you like the original album, chances are the additional material won't change it, especially if you're just a casual fan of Zimmer. I didn't really love Backdraft, mostly because I thought the album was extremely lacking. The additional material really made it better for me, and, in a sense, filled in the missing pieces. The thematic materials actually recurs now, instead of just appearing for one track and gone the next.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : WALKING WITH BEASTS - Benjamin Bartlett

Brilliant BBC series follow up score to WALKING WITH DINOSAURS, a selection of which is included on this CD as well as 3 tracks from the one off show THE BALLAD OF BIG AL ( about the life of an Allosaurus ), not a dud track on the album which has been amongst my most played since the day I bought it.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Thor wrote

i would recommand the complete because the orchestra has a much better presence than on the cd album, except the Main Titles. here the cd version is better. for a zimmer score the orchestra sounds amazing, especially in tracks like Funeral and Epilogue. these tracks have power without electronics. shirley walker did an amazing job. for me it is zimmer's best orchestral score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You all know I generally hate C&C presentations, so what matters to me is only that the overall listening experience flows well (and doesn't wear out its welcome). The original album is pretty damn fine the way it is, so I'm a bit hesitant. But I would definitely like to give it a shot.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    NP : WATERSHIP DOWN - Angela Morley

Possibly my all time favourite animated feature score, simply fantastic music.
  5. lp wrote

So I've listened to this version about 3 times now, and, it's amazing. This is an excellent Zimmer score from his early post Rain Man period. It's amazingly thematic, more so than the official album would let you believe. The missing action cues and suspense cues really adds to the complexity of the score. Some of the action passages are typical of Zimmer at that time, extremely scene specific, adhering to the action beats, and less to the overall mood like he does now. The quality of the release is surprisingly excellent, with no distortions or artifacts that I can hear. I would love to get a legit version from LLLR (or any record companies). This score really deserve it. I was never a big fan of it, to be honest, but I really am now.

Didn't want to admit here that I got the recent bootleg biggrin

Man Down was a track that I've been looking for since I first saw the movie. Yes, the thematic material recurs, there are actually more electronics (simply parts cut from the album mix). Would you agree that in a weird way the bootleg's version of the finale (Show Me Your Firetruck or Epilogue) foreshadows the end credits of Apollo 13?

I will write a longer post about it tomorrow.
  6. Oh and about post-Rain-Man, what do you think of Late for Work? biggrin

EDIT: There is more of avant-garde choral writing, I know Steven will hunt for bunnies, but some of the dramatic choral tracks foreshadow The Lion King.

Also, there is a foreshadowing of... Imagine the Fire. If anybody liked the track and wondered about the rhythm, here's your source. And that's actually my beloved Man Down.
  7. Thor wrote
    You all know I generally hate C&C presentations, so what matters to me is only that the overall listening experience flows well (and doesn't wear out its welcome). The original album is pretty damn fine the way it is, so I'm a bit hesitant. But I would definitely like to give it a shot.

Depends how you look at things (and we know how you do). The album presentation is weird, because as a short score, the idea for the album is remarkably good (theme to secondary theme, to build-up to action). From a score construction point of view it's plain stupid, because Hans released most of the build-ups without the release (the whole Man Down build-up is there - to those who saw the film, it's the scene a fire injures someone and he's rushed to the ambulance - but the desperate action cue is NOT there). Do check it out even for research purposes, but for the programming you may very well stick to the original album, because it was a rather painstaking process to cut stuff out. But you will seriously LOVE Late for Work.

Mix-wise, it's very interesting, because first, the orchestral performances are much stronger on the bootleg (however they did that, they cut the "meat" out of the brass performances) and the recording mix (it's a non-mastered recording session leak, something tells me that it leaked directly from RCP workstations) gives the meat back. An interesting moment is Fahrenheit 451, where the album mix is very balanced and the bootleg emphasizes the solo trumpet (to the point of having the rest of the orchestra somehow quieter), which there becomes more solemn. Much more solemn. Another thing - Fighting 17th and Show Me Your Firetruck feature unheard before synthesizer parts and no, they're not bad. There is both more orchestra and more electronics in cues even heard on album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    lp wrote

Didn't want to admit here that I got the recent bootleg biggrin

Man Down was a track that I've been looking for since I first saw the movie. Yes, the thematic material recurs, there are actually more electronics (simply parts cut from the album mix). Would you agree that in a weird way the bootleg's version of the finale (Show Me Your Firetruck or Epilogue) foreshadows the end credits of Apollo 13?

I will write a longer post about it tomorrow.

The version does have a surprising amount of electronics throughout. I have to admit that I've not watched this movie for a while, despite still remembering much of the original release, so the wealth of unreleased score is surprising. I much prefer the bootleg's version of the finale, both in its awesome construction and influential quality :D

PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh and about post-Rain-Man, what do you think of Late for Work? biggrin

EDIT: There is more of avant-garde choral writing, I know Steven will hunt for bunnies, but some of the dramatic choral tracks foreshadow The Lion King.

Also, there is a foreshadowing of... Imagine the Fire. If anybody liked the track and wondered about the rhythm, here's your source. And that's actually my beloved Man Down.

Late for Work is exactly what I thought of. It's based on that same theme, evocative of it, referencing it, without stepping on it. I love the build up to the action version in "The Arsonist Unveiled". It's almost electronic in its entirety, but dripping with tension, drama and dread. And the whole block of action within it is the full version of "Burn It All" which seems to have less orchestral and more synth. But I digress.

Boy, Rain Man, that really was the impetus of the rise of Zimmer. Without it...

The choral writing was striking when I first heard it, and instantly memorable, though we only hear one more instance of it in the Mannequin Fire cue.

And the softer cues, there are more of them. YAY! If you wanted more of it, you got more of it, proportionate to how much there was on the original album.

And if I had the say it again, the original release is incredibly truncated in comparison. Like a Varese Sarabande album in the 90s vs Decca release in the 2000s. But that said, it really doesn't overstay its welcome, being very succinct and varied, not excessive, like the Black Rain release sometime do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013 edited
    I've listened to a few 2012 scores that I hadn't been able to hear yet that I just purchased today.

BEL AMI - Rachel Portman and some other person I don't know

Pretty boring. Perhaps repeated listens will change my mind. I'm not too hopeful, though.

FOR GREATER GLORY - James Horner

Disappointing. I couldn't find much to like here, but plenty to dislike. The best part about it is the theme that reminds me of THE MISSING (a much better album, imo). "Cristeros" is the track that had the best version of that theme. I found the use of vocals on this score really grating! I didn't like the soloist, or the awful Spanish lyrics she was singing (seriously, those lyrics are terrible, and don't fit the timing of the melody at all), and I also disliked the AVATAR-like choir, which keeps popping up. I don't share the hatred of the four-note motif that some do, but after hearing it for the 42nd time on this score I was tired of it. As for Horner I far prefer his Spider-man score and BLACK GOLD over this.

THERE BE DRAGONS - Robert Folk

That's more like it! I'm only 6 tracks in, but I'm REALLY enjoying this. This is great music. Coming right on the heels of Horner's score it was even more impressive. I had heard people mention this when it came out, but that's been long enough ago, and here at the end of the year so few were mentioning it that I had pretty much written it off. Then Erik featured it on his show and I was really impressed. At this rate it will be in my top 10 for the year also. Thanks, Erik!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Revenge of the Sith - John Williams

Not bad. Some very rousing action material. Love the quiet, emotional tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    christopher wrote
    THERE BE DRAGONS - Robert Folk

That's more like it! I'm only 6 tracks in, but I'm REALLY enjoying this. This is great music. Coming right on the heels of Horner's score it was even more impressive. I had heard people mention this when it came out, but that's been long enough ago, and here at the end of the year so few were mentioning it that I had pretty much written it off. Then Erik featured it on his show and I was really impressed. At this rate it will be in my top 10 for the year also. Thanks, Erik!

beer punk

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : KNOWING - Marco Beltrami

very good score.
  8. "Watership Down" and "Caravans" by Mike Batt
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.