• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: GOOD WILL HUNTING (Danny Elfman)

Lovely score as it just tingles around with its slightly Irish feel (for some reason).

The film takes place in Boston that's why.

-Erik-

Good point. I had forgotten about that. The bluecollar environment in Boston.

No, because of the large number of Irish Americans living in the city. The basketball team is called the Boston Celtics for a reason.

-Erik-

Yeah, I know. But the film takes place in a working class environment in the city (the Damon part).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    Right! South Boston.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Bregt wrote
    christopher wrote
    Do we know anything about the composers? (Dan Romer and Benh Zietlin - I'd never heard of them before this score).

Benh is also the director of the film. They collaborated earlier on Glory at Sea, which Alan reviewed some time ago.
    https://reelmusic.wordpress.com/2012/05 … h-zeitlin/

Thanks! That's a great and insightful review, Alan. I look forward to hearing that music, and watching those short films.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2013
    NP : PAN TADEUSZ - Wojciech Kilar

Gorgeous score from one of my favourite composers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013
    I suddenly had the idea to make a collection with great tracks containing russian choir. I'm only up to 6 tracks so far, but perhaps you guys have some suggestions on what else to add.

Prokofiev - Alexander Nevsky - The battle on the ice punk
    Poledouris - Hunt for Red October - Hymn to Red October punk
    Hannigan, Klepacki & Wynn - Command & conquer: Red alert 3 - Theme-Soviet march punk
    Two Steps From Hell - Dynasty - Red army punk
    Delerue - The 25th hour - Arrival of the russians punk
    Badelt - K-19: The widowmaker punk

Peter smile
  2. James Newton Howard - Snow Falling on Cedars

One of my all-time favourite scores. A brilliant heartfelt and restrained work on this side of The Thin Red Line. I bought it last year as a bargain (13$ INCLUDING shipping! For an OOP score!) and now it is becoming one of my musical best friends. Beautiful use of choir, a sense of sadness, subtly created tension, mystical (mostly by channeling Arvo Part, but that ain't a bad thing) feel, emotions coming from the heart, always called for... Brilliance.

An interesting fact is that it's almost a C&C release, there is a minor change in chronology on the album, but it stays with the movie and it's basically complete. I've heard that JNH also regards it as one of his favourite works.

Where is this James Newton Howard today?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. plindboe wrote
    I suddenly had the idea to make a collection with great tracks containing russian choir. I'm only up to 6 tracks so far, but perhaps you guys have some suggestions on what else to add.

Hannigan, Klepacki & Wynn - Command & conquer: Red alert 3 - Theme-Soviet march punk

Peter smile

Pretty much any track from James Horner's Enemy at the Gates, especially the first and last cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Newton Howard - Snow Falling on Cedars

One of my all-time favourite scores. A brilliant heartfelt and restrained work on this side of The Thin Red Line. I bought it last year as a bargain (13$ INCLUDING shipping! For an OOP score!) and now it is becoming one of my musical best friends. Beautiful use of choir, a sense of sadness, subtly created tension, mystical (mostly by channeling Arvo Part, but that ain't a bad thing) feel, emotions coming from the heart, always called for... Brilliance.

An interesting fact is that it's almost a C&C release, there is a minor change in chronology on the album, but it stays with the movie and it's basically complete. I've heard that JNH also regards it as one of his favourite works.

God only knows.

It's one of my alltime favourites too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2013 edited
    plindboe wrote

Peter smile

What about Zimmer's THE PEACEMAKER?

DR. ZHIVAGO has lots too.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. plindboe wrote

Peter smile

"March of The Old Guard" - Republic: The Revolution - James Hannigan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a9xIvWgPHs

"Overture" - Ivan The Terrible - Sergei Prokofiev

Come to mind immediately.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. PawelStroinski wrote

Waiting for the next M. Night Shyamalan film.
  6. As are we all, but I will say that I thought parts of his score to SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN are nearly as good as the old JNH we love.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    christopher wrote
    As are we all, but I will say that I thought parts of his score to SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN are nearly as good as the old JNH we love.

Yes, it certainly had some moments.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. A SINGLE MAN - Abel Korzeniowski

This is just really good. I like this man's music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    PawelStroinski wrote

Brilliant score, one of my all time favourite scores, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    christopher wrote
    A SINGLE MAN - Abel Korzeniowski

This is just really good. I like this man's music.

Another brilliant score! Abel Korzeniowski is my hope for the future.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ALIVE - James Newton Howard

Really lovely score.
  8. The Essential Elmer Bernstein Collection (Silva Screen)

A great overview over the composer's work.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    In unexpected synchronicity (although when considering the composer's most prodigious output, the odds probably aren't even that low), I am playing Elmer Bernstein's Rat Race.

Solidly grounded in the composer's strong 'Cool Jazz' oeuvre, this Kritzerland is absolutely fantastic.
    The theme is a rousing, driving bit of jazz that is every bit as exciting as the iconic Man With The Golden Arm (even though that theme is pretty much unsurpassed in my opinion!).
    Sadly the only rendition I could find on YouTube is a 1960 interpretation and it's not even by Bernstein himself. sad
    The original is MUCH better in feel, style and execution.

The rest of the score doesn't let you down with a variety of strong, varied jazz cues ( often referencing the theme in many varieties) in that same late fifties/early sixties style, so much more harsh and grounded than, for example, the generally lovely jazz stylings of Mancini in that same period.

It's an absolute knock-out of a soundtrack, and definitely the way I like Bernstein best!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    In unexpected synchronicity (although when considering the composer's most prodigious output, the odds probably aren't even that low), I am playing Elmer Bernstein's Rat Race.

Solidly grounded in the composer's strong 'Cool Jazz' oeuvre, this Kritzerland is absolutely fantastic.
    The theme is a rousing, driving bit of jazz that is every bit as exciting as the iconic Man With The Golden Arm (even though that theme is pretty much unsurpassed in my opinion!).
    Sadly the only rendition I could find on YouTube is a 1960 interpretation and it's not even by Bernstein himself. sad

The rest of the score doesn't let you down with a variety of strong, varied jazz cues ( often referencing the theme in many varieties) in that same late fifties/early sixties style, so much more harsh and grounded than, for example, the generally lovely jazz stylings of Mancini in that same period.

It's an absolute knock-out of a soundtrack, and definitely the way I like Bernstein best!

Is this the rejected score that John Powell was hired to replace?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Timeline - Jerry Goldsmith

One of the best rejected score, ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lp wrote

Ummm...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    lp wrote

Ummm...

Is there another one??
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Chances are that possibly potentially maybe there might be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Martijn wrote
    Chances are that possibly potentially maybe there might be.

Didn't know about its existence until now... maybe...
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Shadow - Jerry Goldsmith

I come back to this score from time to time, the complete version, and it's always a good listen. One of my favorite score from the master. I love the main theme. The movie is one of my favorite as well, despite the some of the cheese in the casting/performance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CLOUD ATLAS (Tykwer & his gang)

It's a far cry from the beauty of PERFUME, but it's starting to grow on me. However, what is up with everyone's obsession with waltzes these days?
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    NP: CLOUD ATLAS (Tykwer & his gang)

It's a far cry from the beauty of PERFUME, but it's starting to grow on me. However, what is up with everyone's obsession with waltzes these days?

Alles Walzer!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_dNZUyVrVM
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  10. lp wrote
    Martijn wrote

Bernstein scored the old film, then he recorded a score for the 2001 film by the same name and that one was rejected.

http://www.rejectedfilmscores.150m.com/list.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.