• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Die Hard with a Vengeance Kamen

Was so disappointed when I bought the original album to discover it contained pretty much none of the music I'd loved in the film, This new La La Land release is a treat!
  2. It is very long though!
  3. Maciek Dobrowolski - The Winde

Yes, yes, finally the album is coming out very soon. Now I am listening to the final master.. This is a concept album with Celtic undertones, featuring some of the soloists and crew that worked on Clockwise.

I am lucky to have participated in this beautiful project myself, as an album co-producer and I also wrote the liner notes for the cover. The score will be released digitally and, as far as I understand, we are also producing some CDs of it, but it has to be decided in whcih capacity exactly.

I'm very proud of what Maciek has done with what started as a score for a short English film, but Maciek was so inspired to produce a whole album (actually longer than Clockwise) out of it. Seeing him so inspired, hearing all the tryouts before the project became final, hearing the solo parts (sadly, I couldn't participate in the recording sessions), was very, very rewarding. I know I'm not objective, but this project is something I am very proud of and Maciek did it again. It's wholeheartedly recommended.

We will let you know as soon as we know that the album is available on iTunes.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013
    Always interesting to hear more from Maciek. I loved CLOCKWISE.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013 edited
    NP: Durango - Mark McKenzie

Superb. I don't think McKenzie has ever written a bad or mediocre score.

Anyway, this out of print album is being re-released digitally through CD Baby and iTunes. If you missed it the first time then I highly recommend you download it right away! You won't be disappointed especially if you love lyrical, warm celtic themes the way I do!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Erik Woods wrote

Anyway, this out of print album is being re-released digitally through CD Baby and iTunes. If you missed it the first time then I highly recommend you download it right away! You won't be disappointed especially if you love lyrical, warm celtic themes the way I do!

-Erik-

I adore that first track love
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. My gateway to McKenzie's work and still a favorite.

Warm and sentimental without being maudlin. Not an easy trick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Escape From Tomorrow - Korzeniowski

Can he score a Star Wars spinoff film please?
    Preferably the one (I'm sure its coming eventually) about young Han and Chewie's smuggling adventures during the peak of the Empire's power.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SHELTERING SKY - Ryuichi Sakamoto

A really lovely score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jack the Giant Slayer - John Ottman

Sounds like the result of an enthusiastic high school music project. Borderline embarrassing and amateurish at some times, highly enjoyable at others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Star Trek - Insurrection - Jerry Goldsmith

Another favorite score. It has action and romance. Can't love it enough. The themes are typical 90s Goldsmith, but it's in my favorite period of Goldsmith (basically after the 60s & 70s).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Die Hard 3 Michael Kamen

I don't play Kamen half as much as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. That said, this man was an action writer extraordinaire.
  6. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

LOVE it! This is my favorite McKenzie score. Give me music like this anytime! Beautiful, thematic (with multiple themes - any one of which would have made a nice score, but having all of these is fantastic!), Irish. I love that score. Anyone who doesn't have it and has ever enjoyed anything McKenzie has written should definitely add this to their collection.

Southall wrote

Sounds like the result of an enthusiastic high school music project. Borderline embarrassing and amateurish at some times, highly enjoyable at others.

Ouch. I thought it was pretty good! Can you point to the "embarrassing and amateurish" times? I'm curious to see what you hear that I didn't. I've only listened to it once, and not critically at all.
  7. I've recently played both scores that I won from our anniversary contest (Thanks again, Bregt!!). They are:

AMALIA - Nuno Malo

Really lovely theme. This is my kind of score. I found a lot to enjoy after just one listen and look forward to savoring the depth of this score. For those familiar with it, is MIEL DE NARANJAS in the same league as this?

LES DEUX MONDES - Richard Harvey

I didn't know what to expect from this, it being my first Harvey album. I couldn't have expected this! It's really interesting. Something about it just sets it apart from other scores in the genre to me. Harvey doesn't sound like what I've come to expect from film music these days. It's wonderful! It's compositionally excellent, has some wonderful highlights (that third to last track is seriously awesome), it's exciting, at times beautiful, at times unsettling. In short, it's a great ride.

I think I chose well! Thanks again, Bregt. I'm very happy about these scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote

Southall wrote

Ouch. I thought it was pretty good! Can you point to the "embarrassing and amateurish" times? I'm curious to see what you hear that I didn't. I've only listened to it once, and not critically at all.

Ottman's scores are like that in general.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Been through a difficult, very difficult period, recently and nothing would soothe me better than this...
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013

Ottman's scores generally lack polish, which becomes especially evident the more ambitious they are.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Been through a difficult, very difficult period, recently and nothing would soothe me better than this...

Sorry to hear that Pawel, I hope things are looking up?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael Kamen - Die hard with a vengeance

Anyone noticed how influenced Giacchino's LOST scores are by Kamen's Die Hard?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mark McKenzie - Durango

Boy, this is gorgeous!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Demetris wrote
    Michael Kamen - Die hard with a vengeance

Anyone noticed how influenced Giacchino's LOST scores are by Kamen's Die Hard?

There are similarities, yes.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Demetris wrote
    christopher wrote

Southall wrote

Ottman's scores are like that in general.

Ignorant and childish.

Lonesome Dove - Basil Poledouris

Nothing lives up to the magnificent opening track but certainly one of the best tv scores ever written.
  9. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Sorry to hear that Pawel, I hope things are looking up?

Well, not really. I'll try to find the relevant thread to tell what happened.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote

Ignorant and childish.

Well, not really my friend. I always find Ottman's scores as great film music composition university exercises. Not proper scores. They lack coherency above all, and most of the times musicianship.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Demetris, I don't have a problem with the fact that you have little time for Ottman's music.
    You don't connect with it - fair enough.
    But you're being a bit disrespectful there mate.
  10. Or scientific.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    David OC wrote

Why? He just gives his opinion (as passionately undiluted as only a southern European may do wink ).
    The fact that it doesn't coincide with your own assessment doesn't make it disrespectful.

On that note I have never really understood the concept of "respect" with regards to objects.
    If the statement had been made against Ottman as a person I could understand it better. Against a creation...well. One likes it, or one doesn't. Nothing to do with (dis)respect in my opinion.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Or scientific.

Opinions on music are science now?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. Martijn wrote
    David OC wrote

Why? He just gives his opinion (as passionately undiluted as only a southern European may do wink ).
    The fact that it doesn't coincide with your own assessment doesn't make it disrespectful.

On that note I have never really understood the concept of "respect" with regards to objects.
    If the statement had been made against Ottman as a person I could understand it better. Against a creation...well. One likes it, or one doesn't. Nothing to do with (dis)respect in my opinion.

PawelStroinski wrote
    Or scientific.

yeah All of it.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: my own High Seas playlist

Oh! EXCELLENT stuff! ASsorted highlights from Kunzel's seafaring film composition compilation, Land's work on Monkey Island, Zimmer and Badelt's Pirates Of The Caribbean, Poteyenko's Sea Dogs, The Chieftains' Treasure Island, Debnney's Cutthroat Island and so much more.
    A veritable wave of outstanding compositions!
    It seems that sailing and sea adventures really bring out the best in some composers, which is what prompted me to create this playlist.

Enjoying this to the fullest. And a bottle of rum.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  12. Martijn wrote
    David OC wrote

PawelStroinski wrote
    Or scientific.

While it's an opinion, it may come from a musicological analysis of Ottman's work, which was most probably a scientific process.