• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Playing this afternoon:

Jindabyne - Paul Kelly & Dan Luscombe

Gone - David Buckley

Lincoln - John Williams

11 Harrowhouse - Michael J. Lewis

And up now, the best of the bunch, Elliot Goldenthal's Alien³.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013
    Atham wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I have two Amano scores already, I forgot about him. He is definitely worth further obtainments. Thanks for the recommendations! smile

I really enjoy Amano's scores. Sure, there's a lot of temp track love going on with many of them (especially Goldsmith and Horner) but he weaves them in and out amongst his own rich, lush and fully orchestral compositions.

Yes, the first time I heard Battle Royale was in a London soundtrack shop ( sadly no longer there ) and I was confused because a piece by "John Barry*" was playing that I couldn't recognise wink

I like Amano's work though.

*I can't remember which track it is on the album but it sounds Moonraker-ish.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    Wrong thread.

NP: Windjammer (1958) - Morton Gould

tongue

What is it like Captain? I'm intrigued.

It's a lush thematic symphonic score that wonderfully captures the spirit of the voyage, the exitement of the sea sailing and all the plaices they visit. It is a bit on the easy-listening site. I never really saw the film, but I suspect there is some Micky-Mousing going on here. If you know the music of those 50s-60s documentaries made by Disney you get the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9u1sEU5DVc

Volker

Thanks!

The only work of Gould's I'm familiar with is his excellent score for the TV series Holocaust which I do have on LP.

HOLOCAUST

Anyone who has not heard this should check out the clip I posted, it's stunning music.

There's a recording of a suite of music from Morton Gould's score for Holocaust available, which is twinned with a suite of music from a documentary series called Air Power (composed by Norman Dello Joio) that aired in the 1950s.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 … amp;sr=1-1

The Air Power suite is tracks 1-14 and tracks 15-20 is the Holocaust suite (running to 25 minutes).

And there's another version of the Holocaust suite played by a "wind symphony" that might be worth investigating too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Echoes-of-the-H … p;sr=301-1
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DOVE - John Barry

Lovely, breezy score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wyatt Earp James Newton Howard

Ah yes, this is why I like James Newton Howard. This is wonderful. (Wonderful is not a word I can get away with saying in real life.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013
    NP : JANE EYRE - John Williams

Sublime!
  2. Scribe wrote
    NP: Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere

Mmm, meh. Its interesting and creative and different for sure, but it's full of mickey-mousing, rarely stays with the same musical idea for more than a few brief moments.

Obviously I haven't entered this thread in a while, since I'm replying to a post 1500 posts ago. But I was curious on reading this what you meant. Mickeymousing is the about the fusion of image movement with musical gestures, how can you tell from listening to the music on its own that it's mickey-mousing? Are you really saying it sounds like Carl Stalling? Is it that the electronic effects are so persistent and random that they keep interfering with your ability to engage with the music? I'm just curious what 'mickeymousing' means to the average person.

NP: Trance (Rick Smith)

Definitely an album for those who don't mind a score whose roots are more in electronic pop. It works beautifully in the film, and partly that's because each of the tracks is a standalone piece of music its own right (for the most part). 'Bullet Cut' would appeal to fans of 'Dream is Collapsing'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Yes, I too was wondering what Scribe meant by that "mickey-mousing" statement in regard to Remember Me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Chouans! - Georges Delerue

Magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Trance (Rick Smith)

Definitely an album for those who don't mind a score whose roots are more in electronic pop. It works beautifully in the film, and partly that's because each of the tracks is a standalone piece of music its own right (for the most part). 'Bullet Cut' would appeal to fans of 'Dream is Collapsing'.

Consider me intrigued!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Scribe wrote
    So, are there any great Japanese composers besides Hisaishi and Sato that I should investigate?

Michiru Oshima - http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … a/#Item_11

Yugo Kanno (don't confuse him with Yoko Kanno)

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … i/#Item_27

Taro Iwashiro - http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … o/#Item_19
  3. I'm currently slogging through Ernst Reijseger's CAVE OF FORGOTTEN DREAMS. Man, what a bore this is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013
    I guess I associate "mickey mousing" with any kind of start-stop-start music that changes ideas so frequently its impossible to have any kind of free-flowing music. However, in the case of Remember Me, the more I listened to it, the more I realized that a lot of the seemingly random musical phrases and sounds were actually connected and calling to each other.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think the verb-phrase 'Mickey Mousing' should be changed to 'Tom & Jerrying'... although admittedly it doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well. (Oddly enough, according to wikipedia, Scott Bradley of Tom & Jerry fame was born only 16 days after Carl Starling of Warner Bros. fame. Useless but interesting fact of the day.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013 edited
    It's not really a verb, is it? But it is also used as an adjective in certain contexts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True, but doesn't the suffix '-ing' indicate an action? As in the music is currently or was in the process of 'mickey mousing'?
  4. James Horner - The New World

Having seen the movie recently, I very much agree with Malick's choice to cut most of the written score from the album. Horner, being the dramatist he is (to think that he was chosen based on his piano writing in A Beautiful Mind...) completely misses the point of a metaphysical, experiential treatise on love and nature.

It's a beautiful and very personal score, though. Horner got out of his comfort zone a bit and what he wrote is a free-flowing symphonic poem about nature, though I think the basic idea about it has been informed by Malick himself - Hans says in the Criterion documentary that Malick told him music should be like river and lead through the movie. This score has a flow of a river, it's constant movement, be it piano, be it harmony or even string writing (the beautiful Of the Forest is a beautiful showcase of how the score is in constant motion, but not just a river flow, it's actually somehow circular, like hermeneutic or even dialectic circle in philosophy).

Malick's understanding of what he wants to say is beautifully shown at the end of the movie, when the love between Pocahontas and Rolfe is actually underscored by the theme for her relationship with John Smith. The first (of two) performances happens right after their wedding (the film version of Rolfe Proposes is much more touching in its almost shy, child-like depiction of the love being born; unusually subtle for Horner, who uses the love theme, but not the melody of it - he keeps the harmony though; and a lot of subtle pauses). Then when Smith reappears for his final meeting with Pocahontas, Mozart returns, harking back to the idyll of the Native village (his thoughts in voice-overs actually remind somehow of the idealistic views of Jean-Jacques Rousseau, who of course was born long after John Smith died), but soon after Pocahontas realizes how immature their feelings were and how immature he actually is, she walks away from him. In a very subtle scene, the love theme (a repeat of Pocahontas and Smith) returns, when Pocahontas walks over to Rolfe and takes his hand, showing that this is indeed the true love. A beautiful approach by Malick to show how the feelings develop and also the philosophical statement about the nature of true love.

Malick's The New World is a companion piece to THe Thin Red Line, in a way that one of that film's themes (the dialectic between love and war) becomes transformed into exploring the dialectics of love (the combination of immature love for Smith and her love for Rolfe builds into a really mature feeling toward Rolfe).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Horner got out of his comfort zone a bit and what he wrote is a free-flowing symphonic poem about nature, though I think the basic idea about it has been informed by Malick himself - Hans says in the Criterion documentary that Malick told him music should be like river and lead through the movie. This score has a flow of a river, it's constant movement, be it piano, be it harmony or even string writing (the beautiful Of the Forest is a beautiful showcase of how the score is in constant motion...

It must be a fairly common idea this notion of the music being a river, flowing...etc. Hans Zimmer talked about this as being a cohesive aspect of Inception with the music connecting the whole film together.
  6. I think that's the Malick connection, especially that it was decided pretty early on that The Thin Red Line would inform Inception, though depending on the conversation he told me it was either his idea or Nolan's.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. NP: Star Trek - The Wrath of Kahn (1982) - James Horner

Next: Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) - Michael Giacchino

Gonna revisit the latter film tonight.

alien Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The latter film is also from this year. wink (And it's rubbish.)
  8. Steven wrote
    The latter film is also from this year. wink (And it's rubbish.)

Thanks! Corrected that.
    Supress all memories of "Khan" and it's a decent space action flick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Some of Gattaca is absolutely gorgeous. Seeing the film helps appreciate this score a lot too.

It's one of my favourite scores. I remember that I bought it after you mentioned it in your first Favourite Scores thread. I had seen the film before that and loved the music but never made it to buying it. The three last tracks are very strong, also in the movie. The Other Side ... wow!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Star Trek - The Wrath of Kahn (1982) - James Horner

Gonna revisit the film tonight.

alien Volker

Good choice Captain wink
  9. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Star Trek - The Wrath of Kahn (1982) - James Horner

Gonna revisit the film tonight.

alien Volker

Good choice Captain wink

uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Wrath of Kahn is no masterpiece either, but it's a very solid film with some great scenes (unlike its retarded-child of a film Into Darkness).
  10. Steven wrote
    The Wrath of Kahn is no masterpiece either, ...

Well, what is, under that scrutinizing gaze of yours?

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2013 edited
    I think The Next Generation had the best stories in all of the Trekverse. I'd pick a good episode of TNG over just about any other Trek incarnation (although I do like the movies for their special effects and music).

I'm very picky, this is true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought The Next Generation was generally shite. Loved Deep Space Nine.

Also, arguing about the best Star Trek tv series is one of the greatest internet pastimes, I feel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Puppeteer - Patrick Doyle

Brilliant.