• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Actually, I was talking about Lady in the Water.

I love the message about everyone's strange personality quirks and even their flaws eventually having a higher purpose. I also quite enjoy the over-the-top performances of Giamatti and Howard. And the music manages to make some of the unbelievably lame-looking set pieces seem profoundly meaningful.

Scribe, in that case you share the fascination with a colleague of mine, who wrote these two EXTREMELY detailed analyses of the film, trying to rectify some of its low status:

PART 1: http://montages.no/2013/08/lady-in-the- … appraisal/

PART 2: http://montages.no/2013/09/lady-in-the- … ylisation/

They are in English, btw!

Personally, I'm still not sold on the movie, even though it was interesting to read Dag's analyses.

I've been working on the first part all day and just finished it. I love his ideas about the film. Very interesting to read a more thoughtful analysis than my very emotional impressions. I was, however, disappointed when he got to the end and reported his failure to feel anything during what to me is the climactic moment of the film, the resuscitation of Story and the accompanying cathartic confession by Cleveland of his feelings about his family. If you don't feel anything there, then you're not coming at it from the same perspective as I am. So I still feel lonely that I don't know anyone who likes it like I do, lol.

I saw it for the first time the night before what I can only describe as the single most emotionally intense and satisfying weekend of my life, and the movie as a whole combined with the end credits music telling me "the times are a'changing" was an unbelievably important emotional signpost in my life. Funny how a movie so completely hated by critics and most audiences can still be so important to someone, right? And so I'm thankful for all kinds of movies, even the ones I don't have any interest in whatsoever, because maybe some movie that I think is stupid and pointless will be the thing that helps someone as profoundly as Lady in the Water helped me.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    It's a space issue, for one thing. 1100 albums take up a lot of harddrive, and even though I have an extra, external 1 TB harddrive for backup, I really don't want to fill it with all kinds of crap I've picked up over the years. So it's better to stick with what you know you like, and then fill up with new potential great stuff as you go along.

The words above should never be spoken by a radio show producer.

Buy a larger hard drive. Keep everything. You never know when you'll need a particular album to play on your show.

-Erik-

Wise words.
    And backing up stuff is also important as I learned a couple of weeks back when one of my drivers shat itself!
    I lost a lot of music and a mountain of video files including a nice holiday project I was working on for my friends who traveled to Vietnam with us. Hours of work gone!
    But anyway, yes a large drive is a must!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2013
    Ouch! That told me! wink

On the other hand, I don't picture myself playing music on my show that I don't care for at all. The program is a sort of 'missionary' activity in Norway, and I want to show the best film music has to offer. No worries....I have plenty of stuff to play.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: IN TIME (Craig Armstrong)

This is really good!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: IN TIME (Craig Armstrong)

This is really good!

Tried his non-film score albums Thor? You'd like them.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Haven't yet, no. I've planned to for some time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Haven't yet, no. I've planned to for some time.

You should. In fact, I'm going to do that myself right now!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Ouch! That told me! wink

On the other hand, I don't picture myself playing music on my show that I don't care for at all. The program is a sort of 'missionary' activity in Norway, and I want to show the best film music has to offer. No worries....I have plenty of stuff to play.

I once thought the same way as you did Thor. Then I needed "The Addams Family Theme" from one of those horrible Vic Mizzy albums for a Halloween show I produced many years ago. As much as I would like to toss each and every one of those Vic Mizzy albums I never know when I'll need the "The Addams Family Theme" again or if someone requests THE GHOST AND MR. CHICKEN. freezing

If you plan on doing this for the long term, Thor, KEEP EVERYTHING.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: The Painted Veil (Alexandre Desplat)

Mediocre movie - wonderful score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Gravity - Steven Price

First listen ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lair - John Debney

As ridiculously enjoyable as it is ridiculously derivative.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2013
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree too, it's a very enjoyable listen, derivative as it is.
  2. NP: Echoes of Creation - David Arkenstone

I find this a relaxing collection of tracks, a nice mix of synths and "live" instruments.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Shock Head Soul - Roger Goula

Perhaps I should have finished with the Arkenstone score because this Goula piece is quite an unsettling affair. But quite excellent.

http://moviescoremedia.com/shock-head-soul-roger-goula/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Southall wrote
    Lair - John Debney

As ridiculously enjoyable as it is ridiculously derivative.

The world could do with a bit more of that kind of derivative.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    yeah
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LE PETIT PRINCE - LA SYMPHONIE (Frederic Talgorn)

This is nice old-fashioned stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: A Very Eureka Christmas - Bear McCreary

I'm usually against bailing out of an album part-way through but this is testing my resilience. Too mickey-mousey and the Christmas references seem a but out-of-place in mid-October (which, to be fair, they are) - I am a slave to the iTunes shuffle at the moment.

I have to say that I much prefer his percussion-heavy universe of Battlestar Galactica.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Alan wrote

the Christmas references seem a but out-of-place in mid-October (which, to be fair, they are)

What nonsense you speak Alan, living in the UK you know all too well that Christmas started last Month. wink
  6. That's true Tim.

And I've already picked up a Christmas catalogue from Tesco and bought a rich Dundee fruit cake for Christmas too!

shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Assassin's Creed IV - Brian Tyler

It's OK. The album's an hour too long.
  7. I thought the album was about 101 minutes too long.
  8. I thought that Assassin's Creed IV started off really well. Quite entertaining. But then it just descended into some sort of endurance test by the middle onwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I thought the album was about 101 minutes too long.

I think some of it's OK. Brian Tyler has the most consistently badly-produced albums of any film composer I can think of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I agree. There's a LOT of worthwhile material I find in each of his scores....but it's buried under tons and tons of generic action scoring (which very rarely is really bad, mind you....but it does tend to prevent any score of his being appreciated more as a listening experience).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I think some of it's OK. Brian Tyler has the most consistently badly-produced albums of any film composer I can think of.

Yeah, I exaggerate. There are some nice-ish bits (one of the themes reminded me of Wintory's Journey, except upbeat and spirited rather than soulful and reflective). But for once I find myself agreeing with you on the album. Although I still don't think it's a bad thing on principle for the music to be released, it did probably mean I enjoyed a lot of it less than I would have if it hadn't been the thirtieth similar-sounding track in a row. But I have scores much longer than this in my collection which hold my interest effortlessly over two-plus hours...a lot of them are by Howard Shore, but still. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yeah, I exaggerate. There are some nice-ish bits (one of the themes reminded me of Wintory's Journey, except upbeat and spirited rather than soulful and reflective). But for once I find myself agreeing with you on the album. Although I still don't think it's a bad thing on principle for the music to be released, it did probably mean I enjoyed a lot of it less than I would have if it hadn't been the thirtieth similar-sounding track in a row. But I have scores much longer than this in my collection which hold my interest effortlessly over two-plus hours...a lot of them are by Howard Shore, but still. biggrin

It can be done, for sure, but it's pretty rare. There needs to be an awful lot of variety in there to sustain albums that long, for me anyway - even with Shore, the generally unwavering feeling makes them a bit of a challenge to me, despite the wealth of melodic material in the LOTR scores (which obviously is lightyears ahead of the melodic material in something like this Tyler score). I suspect the time constraints of writing most film scores precludes this from happening in most cases, even when the composer is capable; and the very fact that the music is being written for a single film almost guarantees a certain consistency of tone. I think television probably gives the best chance for obvious reasons, but the budgets are usually lower and frankly the composers are usually not as good.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    I agree. There's a LOT of worthwhile material I find in each of his scores....but it's buried under tons and tons of generic action scoring (which very rarely is really bad, mind you....but it does tend to prevent any score of his being appreciated more as a listening experience).

Funnily enough one of the scores I enjoy most of his is Now You See Me, and it's only 25 minutes long. I'd love to hear more music, but it would probably ruin it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I must admit I was probably a little overly enthusiastic about Tyler's Assassin's Creed score, perhaps due to the fact that I was playing GTAV while listening to it and it went very well the game. shame Still, I think there's a very enjoyable album to be had in amongst the plethora of cues. I think a 30 minute playlist would suit this score just fine.