• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I am about as as old as Thor but I have never liked unstructured action music a la, say, Aliens vs. Predators: Requiem (Tyler), where everyone in the orchestra can basically do as he pleases as long as its loud.

NP: Zulu - John Barry
    Prague etc re-recording

Never saw the film, never listened to the original recording. I like very much what I am hearing here. I have come to not expect re-recordings to simulate the exact sound of the original recording. Taken away form the film the music is open to interpretation. Often re-recordings are a bit slower than the original recording, making the orchestral sound more transparent. I like that.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014
    The film is excellent Captain. The score is pretty sparse for an epic.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Captain Future wrote
    I am about as as old as Thor but I have never liked unstructured action music a la, say, Aliens vs. Predators: Requiem (Tyler), where everyone in the orchestra can basically do as he pleases as long as its loud.

I don't agree with that assessment of AvP:R; it's loud, yes, but certainly not unstructured. Take "Decimation Proclamation" There are little rhythmic patterns and hooks that he continually returns to, and there's a definite buildup running through it, right up until those final moments that are like "Bishop's Countdown" on steroids (Tyler's clearly aware of the other scores in the two franchises). I actually think "Decimation Proclamation" is just about Tyler's most impressive action cue to date, alongside the quite similar "Clutch Then Shift" from Eagle Eye.

When I think unstructured action music, John Ottman is the first name that comes to mind.
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote

When I think unstructured action music, John Ottman is the first name that comes to mind.

What? confused shocked
  4. As much as I don't like AVP: R, Decimation Proclamation is as close to an action music masterpiece as Brian Tyler can be.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. NP: Super 8 (2008) - Michael Giacchino

Giacchino channeling Williams. There are worse things than can happen. The only thing that bothers me here are those miniscule cue durations.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    As much as I don't like AVP: R, Decimation Proclamation is as close to an action music masterpiece as Brian Tyler can be.

How can anything so unoriginal be proclaimed an "action masterpiece". Utter nonsense. ( Edit: I didn't read your comment properly rolleyes shame )

The whole score is an earache inducing noise generator. The worst CD I ever bought.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote

You have to realise that although I enjoy good action music I'm not really that into action scores. I don't know if it's an age thing or what? But the older I get the less I enjoy full throttle orchestral action music, when I do enjoy it, it has to have a hook or a theme, the Bourne scores of John Powell are a good example of that.

I love it. Oddly enough, I used to listen to far more "lush" and romantic scores when I was younger, but now gravitate towards more action orientated scores. In fact, it's the sort of music I aspire to be able to write. I absolutely loved Beltrami's score to the latest Die Hard failure.

I'm still in my 20s, so we'll see... Though the moment I sound like Thor, you can shoot me.

tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, I like Beltrami's Die Franchise scores too
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

The whole score is an earache inducing noise generator. The worst CD I ever bought.

I like it... shame
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

What? confused shocked

Absolutely. I haven't yet heard an action cue by Ottman that doesn't feature at least one or two jarring changes in direction and/or sudden bursts of dissonance (not the good kind) that interrupt an otherwise promising rhythm or motif. "Roderick's Demise/The Beanstalk Falls," "Chase to Cloister" and "The Battle" from Jack the Giant Slayer are all pretty good, but they do have that problem. So does much of the action music from Superman Returns and X2.
  7. Well, I am not an expert when it comes to Ottman, but X-Men 2 I like and Superman Returns I love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Super 8 (2008) - Michael Giacchino

Giacchino channeling Williams. There are worse things than can happen. The only thing that bothers me here are those miniscule cue durations.

I can't hear any Williams in that score. It's Giacchino through and through.

...I wonder if it's because the film is a Spielberg 'pastiche' that people assume the score must be Williams inspired?
  8. I'm no expert either, but it's an issue I've noticed in practically every action cue of his I've ever heard. That's not to say I dislike those scores; I like Superman Returns and Jack the Giant Slayer just fine. X2 is kind of forgettable though. Hope he can step up his game for Days of Future Past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Portrait of a Lady - Wojciech Kilar

One of my all time favourite film score albums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard - Gladiator

I haven't spent a day exclusively with Hans' music for a long time. I have reasons for that, which I can't yet make public. As soon as I can, I will let you know.

*waits in suspense for explanation of mysterious statement*
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. Today in the mail and np:

The Man in Half Moon Street - Miklos Rozsa
    The Royal National Scottish Orchestra conducted by Alan Wilson. Intrada, 2014

It is my impression, that the release of this album went largely unnoticed on this board. This is curious since it marks Intradas comeback into the re-recording business. I very much hope other productions will follow. I also hope that Varese Sarabande will follow suit.
    What I find also remarcable is, that in very short order two re-recording albums dedicated to Rozsa where released by Chandos and Intrada. Both feature the concert suite of "Sahara".

The sound of this album is stellar. So is the artwork and the liner notes. Recommended!

Volker
  10. NP: Jaws 2 - John Williams

I've never really enjoyed this one as much as the original. Solidly written with some good action tracks. But it's way overshadowed by the original.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. NP: Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - John Williams

A much more enjoyable sequel that almost lives up to the original (I'm terrible for comparisons with original films of a sequence apparently). And a huge improvement on the second film which I don't really like much (same for that film too.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Captain Future wrote
    Today in the mail and np:

The Man in Half Moon Street - Miklos Rozsa
    The Royal National Scottish Orchestra conducted by Alan Wilson. Intrada, 2014

It is my impression, that the release of this album went largely unnoticed on this board. This is curious since it marks Intradas comeback into the re-recording business. I very much hope other productions will follow. I also hope that Varese Sarabande will follow suit.
    What I find also remarcable is, that in very short order two re-recording albums dedicated to Rozsa where released by Chandos and Intrada. Both feature the concert suite of "Sahara".

The sound of this album is stellar. So is the artwork and the liner notes. Recommended!

Volker

Actually I played this one for the first time yesterday.
    Very impressive! And you're quite right about the stellar sound. Really nice!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Jaws 2 - John Williams

I've never really enjoyed this one as much as the original. Solidly written with some good action tracks. But it's way overshadowed by the original.

Not as an album it's not, at least IMO. Like with Jurassic Park it's nearly always the first sequel score I reach for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Not as an album it's not, at least IMO. Like with Jurassic Park it's nearly always the first sequel score I reach for.

I agree with that -- not the JURASSIC PARK part, of course, but the JAWS part. The sequel album is so much more enjoyable as a listening experience. But as far as in-context goes, the first is in a class of its own. Pure blockbuster art.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed! Jaws is one of the greatest films. Along with Alien I think it's the film I've seen the most times.
  12. I concur that the JAWS 2 album is the better listening experiance.

I'm not sure what incarnation of the first JAWS score on album I like better, but I think ultimately the LP re-recording is the better listening experiance.

The first JAWS score is a beautiful hommage to Bernard Herrmann, don't you think?

Volker
  13. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

For me, it's the actual content of Jaws 2 doesn't really stand up to the original, regardless of how it's presented.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    The first JAWS score is a beautiful hommage to Bernard Herrmann, don't you think?

If anything I would say it's a homage to Stravinsky. wink

Jaws is very much it's own beast....pun thoroughly intended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

For me, it's the actual content of Jaws 2 doesn't really stand up to the original, regardless of how it's presented.

yeah

I like Jaws 2, but I don't love it. Even though it's essentially a more epic version of the first score, there's something missing about it which doesn't quite match up to the original?

As for the first score, it's a true 5 star classic. I have the anniversary album, which I assume is a pretty complete presentation of the score. Love every note.
  14. Steven wrote
    As for the first score, it's a true 5 star classic. I have the anniversary album, which I assume is a pretty complete presentation of the score. Love every note.

Have you heard the original, 12-track MCA version? This is also an excellent album.
  15. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

If anything I would say it's a homage to Stravinsky. wink

Jaws is very much it's own beast....pun thoroughly intended.

I think JAWS clearly references PSYCHO and NORTH BY NORTHWEST.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NORTH BY NORTHWEST?!!!