• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2014
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    David OC wrote
    A Tale of God's Will - Terence Blanchard

Some fine jazz/orchestra fusion here, but the 2nd track 'Levees' is my favourite eight minutes on the CD, building to a spine-tingling emotional crescendo in the middle and again towards the end.

Lovely indeed. I think he referenced this a bit in his score to Inside Man.

Inside Man is another Blanchard score I've been meaning to re-visit too!

The Ballad of Lucy Whipple - Bruce Broughton

The main theme takes a while to win me over every time I hear this but the second half of the score is fantastic with some really strong action cues.
  1. By the Lords of Kobol:

NP:
    Battlestar Galactica - Saga of a Star World (1978) - Stu Phillips on Varese
    Battlastar Galactica - Daybreak (2009) - Bear McCreary

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Noah - Clint Mansell

Just got to the cue everyone says is the best, "Make Thee an Ark". Not bad, especially the last couple minutes, but...I don't know, there's just something about Mansell's writing here that strikes me as awkward. Maybe it's the slightly off-center (and yet still pretty simplistic) harmonies he uses, or his insistence on quite "scratchy" textures, or a bit of both, but it's stopping me from enjoying this score much. It's a little more accessible than his usual, sure, but I'm still not all that impressed. We'll see how the rest turns out though.

Yesterday I finally got around to hearing Nathan Furst's Need for Speed. Now that's a bit more like it. Unpretentious and fun. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain America: Winter Wonderland Henry Jackman

Trying this again. All I can think of is...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Belle - Rachel Portman

Sounds exactly like you'd expect, darling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2014 edited
    NP: DA VINCI'S DEMONS (Bear McCreary)

At 90 minutes, this album is way, WAY too long, but there's some excellent music here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Le Professionel - Ennio Morricone

Sheer genius, darling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014 edited
    NP: Young Sherlock Holmes - Bruce Broughton
    One of my favorite scores from the eighties. It's great hearing it with updated mix and the liner notes are wonderful mostly due to the great interview with the composer.
    This brilliant score along with Psycho 2 - Goldsmith and Lair - Debney & Kaska have been filling my ears these past few days since I received them. Each one brings great musical riches to the table.
    Lair is even greater than I remembered. A pure musical feast throughout the entire content!
    I'm in heaven! cool
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014
    I'm waiting for all three of those to arrive!! Very jealous!!

Listened to all 3 of John Powell's Bourne scores today; an interesting experiment. Definitely a case of the law of diminishing returns.
    First is brilliant; second has plenty of highlights, both fresh and tapping into the original. But by the third it was all sounding a bit too repetitive and I'd just about had enough.
    Not the ideal way to listen to these really but it was an interesting couple of hours nonetheless, just to hear the progression - and then regression of sorts, though his work is exemplary all the way through. And of course the influence of the 'sound' has been (sometimes all too) obvious even since.
  3. That's interesting; I find the first one to be completely redundant. There's nothing in Identity that I think hasn't been done better in the other two (but mostly Supremacy), and as a consequence I think it's probably my least-listened Powell score. It may be a time to give it a reappraisal though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree, I think the second score makes for the best album and score overall. But say what you will about the third, it's an undeniable FACT™ that it contains one of THE greatest action cues in film music; Tangiers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, the first score is probably THE most influential score of the 2000s, so there's that.

I agree with David, though -- I wouldn't listen to all these in a row. They have more value when played independently.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Le Professionel - Ennio Morricone

Sheer genius, darling.

Having a bad case of 'Darling Dickie'itis are we James? biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. NP: Dinosaur (2000) - James Newton Howard

I got a used copy for 50 €-cent, can you imagine? It sounds beautiful. I never saw the film though.

EDIT: Stylistically the tracks with choir owe a bit to The Lion King, don't they?

Volker
  5. The choral arrangements were also by Lebo M., so it shouldn't be surprising smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Captain Future wrote
    I got a used copy for 50 €-cent, can you imagine? It sounds beautiful. I never saw the film though.

Wow, that's a steal! Although I found this one at Half Price Books in the US for just 2$, so not much worse. smile
  7. NP: Murderers Among Us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story - Bill Conti

This is an excellent score. Sombre and emotional. There's a bit too much similarity to Barber's "Adagio For Strings" and Ennio Morricone's The Mission (which was 3 years before Murderers Among Us) in places but that doesn't detract too much from the enjoyment.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. NP: Les Miserables (1952) - Alex North

Cobweb named this album his no 18 entry in Timmer's "Favourite Film Scores" thread. I was intrigued, since already have two other scores on the subject. Also North is a composer who ever grows in my estimation.

This CD cost me conciderably more than 50 cent but it was worth it. Thanks for the introduction, Cobweb! beer

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Dinosaur (2000) - James Newton Howard

EDIT: Stylistically the tracks with choir owe a bit to The Lion King, don't they?

Volker

A little bit, maybe, but it's very much JNH through and through. "The Egg Travels" is a masterful piece of music. I actually filmed a bit from when they played this at Ghent two years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alLTaUHwIR0
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: Boney - Sven Libaek

I remember this Australian TV show from when I was a child. Don't remember anything about the music, even the theme. Listening to this, I am a little surprised that I remember nothing about the music as the title theme is a bit catchy. But nothing startling.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Boney - Sven Libaek

I remember this Australian TV show from when I was a child. Don't remember anything about the music, even the theme. Listening to this, I am a little surprised that I remember nothing about the music as the title theme is a bit catchy. But nothing startling.

Blimey!!! dizzy

If you hadn't mentioned this Alan I'd never have remembered it. I don't remember anything about the theme at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Blimey!!! dizzy

If you hadn't mentioned this Alan I'd never have remembered it. I don't remember anything about the theme at all.

Here you go, Tim. The theme:

http://youtu.be/_IqFMFgugtc
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Blimey!!! dizzy

Here you go, Tim. The theme:

http://youtu.be/_IqFMFgugtc

Nope! Rang no bells at all.

Big thanks for putting that clip up though Alan because I went to the sidebar and found this...

AUSTRALIAN SUITE love

An absolutely wonderful piece of easy listening, part of which reminded me of 1970's Henry Mancini, they really don't write them like this anymore. A great find by a composer I'd not heard of before and I'm going to investigate further.

Cheers mate! beer

EDIT: I see there is quite a bit of his work on Spotify cool
  11. Tim, Libaek's Nature Walkabout and Ron & Val Taylor's Inner Space scores are worth taking a listen to as well.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Tim, Libaek's Nature Walkabout and Ron & Val Taylor's Inner Space scores are worth taking a listen to as well.

Yeah, I see those are on Spotify. I'm definitely going to be giving these a listen.
  12. NP: Les Miserables (1934) - Arthur Honegger
    1990 re-recording

Very, very good.

V.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM (Bear McCreary)

A straight-out rock'n'roll score. Nice enough, but McCreary has GOT to learn how to economize his albums.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. For once, Thor, I agree with you. McCreary albums are a slog!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith

Very good, darling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall appears to be broken. Somebody fix him!