• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (Hans Zimmer)

On Spotify. Love it so far -- dig those rhythmic vocals on "My Enemy".

Those rhythmic vocals is quite an unusual addition to the score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014
    As I said over on FSM, they kinda remind me of The Sparks, which has a similar delivery of lyrics. Very cool!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    As I said over on FSM, they kinda remind me of The Sparks, which has a similar delivery of lyrics. Very cool!

Don't you mean Sparks without The. As in brothers Ron and Russ Mael.

( brilliant band btw cool )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 - Hans Zimmer and his Pop Mates

Very good! I'm enjoying this a lot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Don't you mean Sparks without The. As in brothers Ron and Russ Mael.

( brilliant band btw cool )

Yeah, no 'the'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE LITTLE WIZARD (Mark Timon Barcelo)

This is such a gem! A throwback to 80's symphonic scoring.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

In fact it's so enjoyable I'm going to immediately play it a 2nd time cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

I'm experiencing the exact same reaction!
    Very impressive album!
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BACK TO GAYA (Michael Kamen)

Oh Michael, how I miss Thee! I believe this was his last score (or was that OPEN RANGE?).
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Very impressive album!
    beer

This isn't bad, it just is not my cup of tea really. That might change once I have seen the movie. Meanwhile this is in my "Nice on spotify but not nice enough for my collection" category.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Atham wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Very impressive album!
    beer

This isn't bad, it just is not my cup of tea really. That might change once I have seen the movie. Meanwhile this is in my "Nice on spotify but not nice enough for my collection" category.

Volker

gonna see the film this Thursday, then gonna listen to the score for the first time. It usually helps now seeing the film before I hear the score.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    NP: BACK TO GAYA (Michael Kamen)

Oh Michael, how I miss Thee! I believe this was his last score (or was that OPEN RANGE?).

Open Range was the last one he completed by himself - Back to Gaya was partially done posthumously based on what he had written earlier on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Man in Half Moon Street - Miklos Rozsa

Love this album. Rozsa was brilliant and, dare I say, best experienced in this kind of suite form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Judge Dredd Alan Silvestri

A no-nonsense, meat and potato type of score.

'Block War'. punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

'Block War'. punk

Mostly meat Steven, mostly meat. M. E. A. T. MEAT!!! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : MOVEMENTS - Johnny Harris

Wonderful album from 1969, mostly cover versions of classic songs but does include some of his own film compositions. This is in the easy listening mould but with a bit of bite to it, some of it is damned funky, I'd describe it as George Martin meets Quincy Jones and I love it! love

Here's some information on Harris...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Harris_(musician)

Really, this is honestly bloody great and if anyones interested it's available on Spotify.

I played this again earlier.

Martijn, have you ever heard this? I think you'd like it.

Bregt too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

'Block War'. punk

Mostly meat Steven, mostly meat. M. E. A. T. MEAT!!! cool

I love meat.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!! Meeeeeeeat! lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anyone who has their steak 'well-done' is wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A compliment? That's rare.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steak? Show it the pan then put it on my plate!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Le Professionnel - Ennio Morricone

Brilliant beyond words. This guy really did write film music like nobody had ever heard before - many times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    Southall wrote
    The Man in Half Moon Street - Miklos Rozsa

Love this album. Rozsa was brilliant and, dare I say, best experienced in this kind of suite form.

That's the way I feel about Herrmann.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. NP: Inside Llewyn Davis (T Bone Burnett, Oscar Isaac and others)

Few films in the last year put music at their centre quite like Llewyn Davis did. 'Fare thee Well' is moving - particularly in its solo performance by Oscar Isaac at the end of the album. 'Five Hundred Miles', with Justin Timberlake and Carey Mulligan joining Stark Sands on vocals, longs for a better world.

It hurts my head a little that filmmakers can make a film around music, threading the themes through their script, and most film music fans would never think twice about it. (Because it's not a score, because it's got lyrics, because it's folk music and not that curious rock-orchestral-electronica hybrid idiom that now passes for most film music.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Inside Llewyn Davis (T Bone Burnett, Oscar Isaac and others)

Few films in the last year put music at their centre quite like Llewyn Davis did. 'Fare thee Well' is moving - particularly in its solo performance by Oscar Isaac at the end of the album. 'Five Hundred Miles', with Justin Timberlake and Carey Mulligan joining Stark Sands on vocals, longs for a better world.

It hurts my head a little that filmmakers can make a film around music, threading the themes through their script, and most film music fans would never think twice about it. (Because it's not a score, because it's got lyrics, because it's folk music and not that curious rock-orchestral-electronica hybrid idiom that now passes for most film music.)

A great film too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 (Hans Zimmer)

On Spotify. Love it so far -- dig those rhythmic vocals on "My Enemy".

Those rhythmic vocals is quite an unusual addition to the score.

I find the English vocals to be extremely creepy. I can't get them out of my head. "Mental torture...can't ignore the paranoia...heart is racing". Somehow the lyrics are so catchy they've been glued to the inside of my brain ever since I played "My Enemy."

Also quite shocked that Hans would choose to go for quotable English lyrics to carry the main villain theme. If the copycat army decides to emulate this choice, it's going to be a crazy fascinating year for the Zimmer-emulating scores. It's one thing to play the horn of doom every time there might be doom. It's a whole new thing to have the villain fly off into hardcore intimate rap about himself whenever he or his minions are onscreen.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. The lyrics almost turns it into a musical. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Inside Llewyn Davis (T Bone Burnett, Oscar Isaac and others)

I couldn't stand that score, to be honest. Irritating, non-stop folk songs that were played out in full at all times. There's something very aggravating about a certain type of bluegrass and other folksy genres when there's too much of it (I didn't like O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU either, although the tone of that film made it easier to swallow). Drove me up the wall eventually.

Then again, I didn't like INSIDE LLEWYIN DAVIS that much as a film either; I found it rather overrated and "hipster-y".
    I am extremely serious.