• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: les revenants (mogwai)

Only 4 tracks were written for this series, and endlessly repeated. But it works so well. I love 'wizard motor', real rock scoring, and the dreamy 'this messiah needs watching.'
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: les revenants (mogwai)

Only 4 tracks were written for this series, and endlessly repeated. But it works so well. I love 'wizard motor', real rock scoring, and the dreamy 'this messiah needs watching.'

Agreed. Quite different from their usual post-rock sound too. This seemed more experimental somehow.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Phantom - David Newman

A very fun romp indeed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote

A very fun romp indeed!

On of the very best superhero scores out there punk

...shame about the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Atham wrote

A very fun romp indeed!

Now that's an understatement! As Timmer says -- one of the best superhero scores of all time (for a silly goofball movie that went against everything I loved about the comic book)!
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Today in the mail: Two times Jerry Goldsmith

NP: Hour of the Gun / Red Pony Suite on Prometheus (2012)

Sounds great, but I just started playing it.

Following up: Gremlins (FSM)

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Junkie XL - Divergent

Infinitely better than anything he did for 300. Still too long.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2014 edited
    NP: EPIC (Danny Elfman)

I like the score, no doubt, but I wonder why Elfman has gone all "John Powell" lately with all the animated features. Maybe it's his 9-year-old son Oliver who keeps pressuring him?
    I am extremely serious.
  4. NP: Lost in Space (1998) - Bruce Broughton

Many good scores suffer from being attached to bad films. This is such a case. The film, while solid in its onset is ruined by a laughable finale.
    Broughton's score does not break any new ground. It is deeply rooted in 80s orchestral sifi scoring. The main theme is great and the whole thing is expertly executed with some real highlights along the way. A solid **** score that deserves more recognition.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Thor wrote

I like the score, no doubt, but I wonder why Elfman has gone all "John Powell" lately with all the animated features. Maybe it's his 9-year-old son Oliver who keeps pressuring him?

Isn't it Powell himself who has the son named Oliver?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Him too? In that case, I guess there's a direct correlation between film composers having kids named Oliver and the frequency of animated film assignments.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Lost in Space (1998) - Bruce Broughton

Many good scores suffer from being attached to bad films. This is such a case. The film, while solid in its onset is ruined by a laughable finale.
    Broughton's score does not break any new ground. It is deeply rooted in 80s orchestral sifi scoring. The main theme is great and the whole thing is expertly executed with some real highlights along the way. A solid **** score that deserves more recognition.

Volker

Lost In Space is a terrific score! Broughton ranks high up my list of favorite composers.
    Young Sherlock Holmes being one of my favorite scores, I'm looking forward to the new Intrada release!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

Him too? In that case, I guess there's a direct correlation between film composers having kids named Oliver and the frequency of animated film assignments.

This is undoubtedly true. All seven of Alan Menken's children are called Oliver.
  6. NP: The Unknown Known - Danny Elfman

I'm not sure how this score will fit in a documentary about former US Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld (the score by itself sounds too much like his fantasy scores such as Oz, The Great and Powerful) but, as a standalone listen, it's one of my favourite of the year so far.

Some may say it's a bit too similar across most of the tracks, but I like the style Elfman's gone for in this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Unknown Known - Danny Elfman

I'm not sure how this score will fit in a documentary about former US Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld (the score by itself sounds too much like his fantasy scores such as Oz, The Great and Powerful) but, as a standalone listen, it's one of my favourite of the year so far.

Some may say it's a bit too similar across most of the tracks, but I like the style Elfman's gone for in this one.

I've ordered it and waiting for it with much excitement. From the clips, it sounds like a natural follow-up to S.O.P., one of the best scores of the 2000s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN (Danny Elfman)

Too whimsical and all-over-the-place for my taste. Stop it, Oliver!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OZ - THE GREAT AND THE POWERFUL (Danny Elfman)

Too massive! These days, I prefer my Elfman lean and ambient.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Unknown Known - Danny Elfman

I've ordered it and waiting for it with much excitement. From the clips, it sounds like a natural follow-up to S.O.P., one of the best scores of the 2000s.

Funnily enough, it's available as a digital download too. Maybe available to listen to via streaming now?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Could be. But personally I'll wait untill I have the physical CD in my hands to give it its virginal spin.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thor wrote

This is undoubtedly true. All seven of Alan Menken's children are called Oliver.

You know, Portman scored a film about a little boy called Oliver. Maybe that's why she gets so much work. wink
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2014 edited
    NP: TARZAN (David Newman)

Not without a highlight or two, but man....in my iTunes this is situated right next to THE PHANTOM and it makes me cry for the Newman of the 80s and 90s. So he -- too -- fell into trend territory with this one. Don't get me wrong, I like certain scores in that trend, but very rarely if it's approximated by composers like Newman whose strength lies elsewhere. Other members of the club include Doyle, Silvestri and JNH.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TRIUMPH OF THE SPIRIT - Cliff Eidelman

Staggeringly good. A gut wrenching score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BANDOLERO - Jerry Goldsmith

Some more, albeit lighter goodness. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    NP: TARZAN (David Newman)

Not without a highlight or two, but man....in my iTunes this is situated right next to THE PHANTOM and it makes me cry for the Newman of the 80s and 90s. So he -- too -- fell into trend territory with this one. Don't get me wrong, I like certain scores in that trend, but very rarely if it's approximated by composers like Newman whose strength lies elsewhere. Other members of the club include Doyle, Silvestri and JNH.

Stop saying things I agree with! angry It's making me very uncomfortable.

On a serious note, I was quite enamoured by this upon my first listen, but since come to realise it is indeed a bit of a shame that he was required to stifle his unique sound in favour of current trends.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmmmm! I've got a hungering for some Goldsmith after that last taster...

NP : THE CHAIRMAN - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellent score! If you have Spotify give yourself a treat and go listen to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I just turned the dishwasher on and realised how much it sounds like Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
  9. Cheap shot, but... lol
  10. Southall wrote
    I just turned the dishwasher on and realised how much it sounds like Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

My favorite part is when it goes uuunnnnNNNNnnnnwWIIISSSHHHhhh.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Yeah, but I bet it'd work well in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    El A-Teamo Alano Silvestrio

Precisely the sort of undemanding, noisy score I'm in the mood for these days.