• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2014
    biggrin
  1. Steven wrote
    Demolition Man Elliot Goldenthal

O Score Gods, hear my prayers; let this composer come back to us!

And if they do not listen, then the hell with them!
  2. NP The Hobbit II: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - Howard Shore

Great, great music!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: 180 GRADOS (Angel Illaramendi)

God, how beautiful! Wistful, deepfelt melodies. Illaramendi really is the Delerue of our day (also in the sense that he can't really write suspense music, but is all the better with gobsmackingly gorgeous themes).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2014 edited
    NP: A LATE QUARTET (Angelo Badalamenti)

Another testament to Badalamenti's versatility -- a very classical chamber piece score, befitting the story and slightly reminiscent of Dario Marianelli. This one got surprisingly little attention back in 2012. I think I prefer this over the much-lauded STALINGRAD.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I have a lot of time for Badalamenti, I must check it out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Do that (although you may consider it a bit 'artsy-fartsy'). Also, I don't know how familiar you are with Illaramendi, but I really think he's up your alley. As I said, I consider him the Delerue of today, and I know you like the Frenchman.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, I have heard some Illaramendi and I like what I hear but I seriously need to check into him more. I've been "accused" of liking 'artsy-fartsy' so that shouldn't be a problem. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....except for Goldenthal's THE TEMPEST. wink

Loads of the "religious sound" in Illaramendi's LOS BORGIA, UNA HISTORIA RECIENTE and YOYES (the latter two may be hard to find). And recently I've discovered more of the same in 180 GRADOS and BAZTAN. Check out Spotify if any of these are available there. Be aware, however, that Illaramendi -- like Delerue -- sucks at suspense, so you might want to skip those tracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Core - Christopher Young

Big. Very big.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    He, he....except for Goldenthal's THE TEMPEST. wink

Loads of the "religious sound" in Illaramendi's LOS BORGIA, UNA HISTORIA RECIENTE and YOYES (the latter two may be hard to find). And recently I've discovered more of the same in 180 GRADOS and BAZTAN. Check out Spotify if any of these are available there. Be aware, however, that Illaramendi -- like Delerue -- sucks at suspense, so you might want to skip those tracks.

Just looked and quite a few of those mentioned are on Spotify. I like Delerue's suspense music so probably no problem there.

I'll be giving a listen tomorrow.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Southall wrote
    The Core - Christopher Young

Big. Very big.

It's one of those scores that I would usually call a guilty pleasure but it's so well-written that I can't even do that.
  3. It's a bit too massive for me. I like it in small doses but not all the way through. But then I have that same wall-to-wall sound problem with Max Steiner.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's too long for me to listen to it more than once every few years, but I had 88 minutes to spare, so decided tonight was the night. It's brilliantly written, as enjoyable as the Arnold/Emmerich scores to me, without any particular dip in quality anywhere across its gargantuan running time.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014
    Just listened to BAZTAN.

NP : YOYES - Angel Illarramendi

Glorious stuff. Really lovely.

Thor beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The 25th Hour - Terenche Blanchard

Very strong, dramatic score by jazz musician Blanchard.
    Great theme, well worked into a modern jazz arrangement in the last track "Double Happiness".
    Powerful stuff.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Just listened to BAZTAN.

Thor beer

Just listened to a few tracks of his music on Youtube. Very impressed! But what to buy?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Great theme, well worked into a modern jazz arrangement in the last track "Double Happiness".
    Powerful stuff.

I'm impressed by a lot of Blanchard's work. He'd be my choice to score a Bond film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014 edited
    I'd recommend Antigua, Vida Mia, El Celo, Los Borgia, Teresa, El Cuerpo de Cristo, Tiempo de Tormenta and Yoyes.

Tiempo de Tormenta very highly!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2014 edited
    Martijn wrote

Powerful stuff.

The finale of The 25th Hour contains some of the most heartrenderingly beautiful music of all of the music I have.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Basic Instinct (1992) - Jerry Goldsmith
    The commercial release.

This is one of my favourite thriller and suspense scores. Brilliant!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Powerful stuff.

I'm impressed by a lot of Blanchard's work. He'd be my choice to score a Bond film.

Just behind Thomas Newman then?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm trying my best to stifle a yawn but..... sleep
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Powerful stuff.

In fact this is what I'm now listening to.....

NP : MIRACLE AT ST. ANNA - Terence Blanchard

Great score to WW II drama. I love the track War Is Hell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a very interesting thought, Timmer, but I think Bond has evolved beyond the jazz idiom.
    As much as I'd like to hear a modern jazz identity for Bond, it's not gonna happen, I fear.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    It's a very interesting thought, Timmer, but I think Bond has evolved beyond the jazz idiom.
    As much as I'd like to hear a modern jazz identity for Bond, it's not gonna happen, I fear.

I think you're right, sadly. Blanchard also writes great mood music and there's not much room for that in modern Bond films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Just listened to BAZTAN.

Thor beer

thumbs <-- thumbs
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Listening to my The Lord of the Rings Trilogy playlist. Most of the tracks are pulled from the original single disc release of each score with the exception of Return of the King. So many GREAT cues were missing from the single disc release ("For Frodo" and "Crack of Doom") that I've added them to the mix.

All three scores are modern day classics with the first score still my favourite of the bunch!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Flesh + Blood - Basil Poledouris

Outstanding!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KNIGHTS OF BADASSDOM (Bear McCreary)

Rock-infused score with some highlights, but also a bit grating at times.
    I am extremely serious.