• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I like some aspects of it, but overall, I think it´s the weakest Middle-Earth score yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2014
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I like some aspects of it, but overall, I think it´s the weakest Middle-Earth score yet.

beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. beer , It´s still much better than a lot of other stuff out there, but somehow less interesting to listen to. I think it´s well composed, I just find it not as entertaining as what´s come before, some highlights aside.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    WHATEVER. It's a weak theme to me, regardless of whatever justifications you want to throw at it.

Interesting how long essays were thrown at us who didn't like Smaug wink

At least I'm not denying the theme's existence!

And I agree it's the weakest Middle-earth score, but that doesn't mean it isn't still much more detailed and interesting than most other scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I like some aspects of it, but overall, I think it´s the weakest Middle-Earth score yet.

And I think An Unexpected Journey is the weakest. I actually enjoyed Smaug. Both pale in comparison to the original trilogy though.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

And I think An Unexpected Journey is the weakest. I actually enjoyed Smaug. Both pale in comparison to the original trilogy though.

-Erik-

Wow I actually agree with Erik about something shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

-Erik-

Thou speaketh sense.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2014
    Rio Conchos - Jerry Goldsmith

After watching the movie I listened to both the original 64 recording and the 87 re-recording.
    The film itself is far from perfect but the music is another story altogether!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've never seen the film but the score is darned great!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE GREAT ESCAPE - Elmer Bernstein

A classic and rightly so!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Indeed it is!
    I was listening to The Great Escape just the other day.
    Never fails to impress.
  4. NP: The Last of the Mohicans - Trevor Jones / Randy Edelman
    Re-recording of VS

One of my earliest score CDs (the original that is), played again and again. I remember listening to it on my CC Walkman when driving home from school on the bus. I still listen to it. I like the re-recording although it is somewhat superflous.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. NP: Lexx - The Dark Zone (1997) - Marty Simon

Great TV score for an exaptional scifi series. The first season anyway. Having young Eva Habermann running around half naked is worth the time alone. shame love Anyone knows what became of Marty Simon?

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Last of the Mohicans - Trevor Jones / Randy Edelman
    Re-recording of VS

One of my earliest score CDs (the original that is), played again and again. I remember listening to it on my CC Walkman when driving home from school on the bus. I still listen to it. I like the re-recording although it is somewhat superflous.

Volker

I've never heard the rerecording. Brilliant score! I just never felt the need for the rerecording. Anyone else have opinions on the rerecording?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I love the re-recording! Much better sequenced than the original album.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I prefer the 2006 live soncinemad rendition, mindblowing. And awesome to have been there myself.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Last of the Mohicans - Trevor Jones / Randy Edelman
    Re-recording of VS

Volker

I've never heard the rerecording. Brilliant score! I just never felt the need for the rerecording. Anyone else have opinions on the rerecording?

It emphasises (greatly!) Jones' part of the score, and while I would agree that is the more enjoyable half, Edelman's half does very well to balance the listening experience. Hate to say it but Jones' great theme does[wear out its welcome on the rerecording.
    So yeah, I too only replay the original CD.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Me too. I'm generally very PRO rerecordings, but mostly for older scores that sound scratchy in their original recording.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2014 edited
    I love listening to them both depending on my mood. I think Erich Kunzel´s version of the Main Theme (on his The Big Picture album) is a good one, too. Funny thing is that I had known Jones´ Love Theme (The Gael) for a long time before the movie came out, because I bought the album containing the original version on a visit to Scotland. It was composed by Dougie MacLean to be played over speakers at the official Loch Ness exhibition in Drumnadrochit. I think my ears fell off when I sat in the theatre and it came up, especially since it fits so perfectly to Jones´ added Main Theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Meteor Man - Cliff Eidelman

Okay, this is a fun score that certainly is entertaining, mostly.
    I can certainly hear his action scoring along the lines Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country coming through.
    But I find the temp track love from other scores a little too annoying at times.
    You can clearly hear references from Back To The Future, Star Wars (Here They Come), Hook etc.
    Sure I love all those scores but it was a little strange here and from a gifted composer I have much time for.
    Maybe I need to give it another chance.
  6. Always been a lover of MOHICANS here, though eternally frustrated that the film's actual 'Promontary' climax hasn't made it to any of these albums.

NP: Battlestar Galatica Season 4 (Bear McCreary)

Really... one of the peaks of modern TV scoring. He really made a musical epic from what seemed like unpromising foundations.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. yeah punk
  8. NP: Under The Skin - Mica Levi

First listen. I am finding this quite an absorbing listen: wondering what's going to happen next. I suppose you'd call it "musique concrète" in style, with definite nods to the likes of Penderecki and Ligeti.

Will it be welcomed on a second listen after the anticipation always associated with a first listen? I hope so because some of the sounds and ideas heard are worth hearing again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I was gonna put in a throwaway comment that I could continuously predict what would happen next in the score ("It's gonna get worse, innit? Oh god, yes. It did."), but I thought better of it and decided not to.

angelic

NP: The AVA collection - Elmer Bernstein
    Intrada's re-issue (in a way) of Bernstein's score recordings from 1962-1965, it contains the original alum edits of The Carpetbaggers, The Caretakers, To Kill A Mockingbird, Baby The Rain Must Fall, Walk On The Wild Side and Movie And TV Themes. While these scores were previously available, the main attraction now is thay're all mastered from the original 1/2" three channel and 1/4" two channel stereo album session masters!

And the difference is VERY noticeable!
    The sound is crystal clear. And an added bonus is that these album edits are to sixties' specs, so don't run over 35 minutes each (hence two scores per CD): a PERFECT listening experience.
    Lastly, these scores show Bernstein in absolute top form: it's powerfully jazzy and exciting in some, beautifully dramatic in others, with a strong thematic vibe throughout all.

What a great box set!
    Sure to become a personal favourite and oft-revisited one!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. NP: The STAR WARS Prequel TRILOGY - John Williams
    My playlist.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The STAR WARS Prequel TRILOGY - John Williams
    My playlist.

Volker

What a coincidence? I was just talking about this. ( well, Star Wars anyway ) wink

NP : BATMAN - Danny Elfman

I've never been the fan of this score that some here are but that's not to say I don't like it or enjoy it. There's a few tracks that would be perfect in a Dracula movie ( yeah I know, not a massive leap is it rolleyes wink ), I far prefer this over Zimmer's Batman efforts.
  10. It's not such a massive leap. The concept of Batman owes quite a bit to the vampire myth. He is sort of a positive vampire who doesn't take but who gives.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    It's not such a massive leap. The concept of Batman owes quite a bit to the vampire myth. He is sort of a positive vampire who doesn't take but who gives.

Timmer wrote
    ( yeah I know, NOT a massive leap is it rolleyes wink )
  11. shame
    Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
    (It's advantageous to be able to read.)
  12. Captain Future wrote
    NP: The STAR WARS Prequel TRILOGY - John Williams
    My playlist.

Volker

God, I love these cues from Revenge of the Sith. Some of the best music I have heard in the whole franchise. So gripping, conceived from deep understanding and humanity. Deeply touching.