• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2014
    Nice to hear!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Yeah, it even includes some Hornerish trumpet writing, he even uses the four-note motif in the final track, but a bit more interestingly.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. PawelStroinski wrote

...but a bit more interestingly.

But of course! wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP: The Music of Maurice Jarre
    being CD2 of "Laurence of Arabia" (Silva)

Some outstanding interpretations here. The elegic version of "Keating's Triumpf" - a whole minute longer than the original recording - is my personal highlight.

Volker
  4. Thor wrote
    NP: ADORE (Christopher Gordon & Antony Partos)

I have no idea who this Partos fellow is, but a beautiful album it is -- one of my favourites from last year.

Like most people down here, Partos gets most of his work in TV. (For a while it seemed he was scoring every show on TV.) ADORE -- probably because of the style contrast/blend with Gordon -- is one of the nicest pieces of work he's done.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Twist of Faith - Jeff Toyne

Very beautiful, heartfelt new score released by MSM
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: EYE OF THE EAGLE: THE FILM MUSIC OF... (Søren Hyldgaard)

Compilation of nice, melodic, oldfashioned symphonic music by one of the best film composers in Scandinavia...although he's been rather quiet in the last decade or so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2014 edited
    NP: ERNEST & CELESTINE (Vincent Courtois)

The film is gorgeous -- far better than FROZEN which beat it in the Oscars. The score is cute too -- very French, very Yann Tiersen at times. Although the clarinet noodlings & other solos can get a bit much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Assassin's Creed: Lots of Subtitles - Olivier Deriviere

Brilliant stuff, quite exhilarating.
  5. Thor wrote

The film is gorgeous -- far better than FROZEN which beat it in the Oscars. The score is cute too -- very French, very Yann Tiersen at times. Although the clarinet noodlings & other solos can get a bit much.

Have you seen The Wind Rises? That also lost to Frozen. Superb film.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    NP: A Beautiful Mind (2001) - James Horner

punk

Volker

My favorite score and favorite movie to this day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014
    Thor wrote
    NP: EYE OF THE EAGLE: THE FILM MUSIC OF... (Søren Hyldgaard)

Compilation of nice, melodic, oldfashioned symphonic music by one of the best film composers in Scandinavia...although he's been rather quiet in the last decade or so.

Very good, i remember i liked it a lot back when it was released and played it a lot as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

The combination of Western Orchestra and harmony with the African Tribal (vox and percussion) group is such a good working blend, the way he does it here. Great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Thor wrote

Have you seen The Wind Rises? That also lost to Frozen. Superb film.

Indeed I have. THE WIND RISES was by far the best film of the category, miles ahead of even ERNEST & CELESTINE (even though it isn't Miyazaki's best). I've expounded upon my shock re: the outrageous animation win in another thread.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: A LATE QUARTET (Angelo Badalamenti)

Very 'classical' and lean, appropriately given the subject matter. This seemed to come and go in 2012, unlike the massive STALINGRAD project last year which got loads of attention.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014 edited
    Helloooooo. I'm still alive. wave

NP: Frozen - Songs by Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Score by Christophe Beck

I'm not sure if I can call myself a film score fan anymore. I can't give much attention to the score tracks because of this beautiful lady called Idina Menzel, who I've worshipped for years.

But I think Beck's score is beautiful. If I pay attention. um.

Anyway, can I still pop up here on this forum from time to time? tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    Yeah, it even includes some Hornerish trumpet writing, he even uses the four-note motif in the final track, but a bit more interestingly.

I noticed that too, the main theme is nice but not amazing in my book. Overall, much better than most stereotyped scores out there. But that's it, functional and enjoyable but nothing too special.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Miya wrote

NP: Frozen - Songs by Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Score by Christophe Beck

I'm not sure if I can call myself a film score fan anymore. I can't give much attention to the score tracks because of this beautiful lady called Idina Menzel, who I've worshipped for years.

Always good to see you, Miya!

Although I didn't like the FROZEN film (which unfairly won over THE WIND RISES from your own country at the Oscars), I found the score quite good. One of my Norwegian friends, Christine Hals, participated on the soundtrack too. In the lyrics department, I believe.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Miya wrote

I'm not sure if I can call myself a film score fan anymore.

You mean animated film score fan. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Miya wrote

Always good to see you, Miya!

Although I didn't like the FROZEN film (which unfairly won over THE WIND RISES from your own country at the Oscars), I found the score quite good. One of my Norwegian friends, Christine Hals, participated on the soundtrack too. In the lyrics department, I believe.

I'm soooooo happy that Walt Disney Animation Studios finally brought back an Oscar statue. It doesn't matter which movie they won for, cause voters don't watch them anyway. tongue http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season … 96680.html
    (btw I loved that movie, even if it's not my absolute favorite, plus I can't be fair because of Idina)

I haven't seen The Wind Rises yet. Funny that as I grew up I find Miyazaki films less and less interesting... dizzy I'll rent it when the price gets lower. But I regret that I missed to see Kaguya-Hime by Takahata in theater (it looked really beautiful).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote
    Miya wrote

I'm not sure if I can call myself a film score fan anymore.

You mean animated film score fan. wink

Actually, when I'm not listening to musical songs (which is rare lately tongue ), I feel like listening to more non-animated scores like Road To Perdition, weirdly.
  8. NP: Under The Skin - Mica Levi

This is such an intriguing score. A challenging listen. I like the whole feel of the score. And it manages to be an atmospheric soundscape score whilst remaining interesting. Hat's off to Levi and the filmmakers for doing something different. And being good is a bonus!

Here's a link to the album streamed:

http://pitchfork.com/advance/384-under-the-skin/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE VILLAGE - James Newton Howard

Hmmmmmmm.... It's been a long time since he was this good. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote

Are you listening to the SoundCloud samples? They sound very good, despite being painfully short excerpts.
  9. In the mail today a second hand copy of

Critters (1986) - David Newman
    The 1993 Intrada release.

As a teenager I loved this film. Certainly more than Gremlins. And I had a huge crush on Nadine van de Velde (April). love

This is one of the earliest scores by David Newman. I have no memory of it. Indeed it never occured to me to investigate the composer or a release of the score. Let's see how it goes.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

Are you listening to the SoundCloud samples? They sound very good, despite being painfully short excerpts.

No, a proper album (promo) - I believe it's getting a proper release soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Necessary Roughness - Bill Conti

Why do I buy these things!?

(Well, I bought it because someone said it was like Rookie of the Year, which contains one blazingly good track and is pretty good overall; but it isn't like that at all.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think I can count the Contis I've really liked on one hand. Would never buy one blindly.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You'd have thought I would have learned my lesson by now.
  10. Thor wrote
    I think I can count the Contis I've really liked on one hand. Would never buy one blindly.

Theme from Dynasty. Remember? First thing Conti I ever knew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWaDlFCgJZA

Volker