• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    Double check Timmer its Gil Evans smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Double check Timmer its Gil Evans smile

Of course! shame smile

I also posted that in the wrong thread. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008 edited
    Here are ten of my favorites, in no real particular order (I like many other works, most of them about as much as I like these, but in my mind, these ones really stand out):

Symphony No. 5 by Jean Sibelius
    Symphony No. 6 "Tragic" by Gustav Mahler
    Symphony No. 7 by Gustav Mahler
    Symphony No. 9 by Gustav Mahler
    Symphony No. 6 "Pathétique" by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
    Ein Heldenleben by Richard Strauss
    Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: Overture by Richard Wagner
    Symphony No. 3 by Robert Schumann
    The Firebird Suite by Igor Stravinsky
    Piano Concerto by Edvard Grieg
  1. My original selections embarrass me a little now. I had a particular love for those pieces at the time motivated my posting here. No Wagner, no Tchaikovsky, no Mahler, no Mozart... shame
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    My original selections embarrass me a little now. I had a particular love for those pieces at the time motivated my posting here. No Wagner, no Tchaikovsky, no Mahler, no Mozart... shame

Ha, don't worry, it's the same with me. My musical favorites tend to change over time, also.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    My original selections embarrass me a little now. I had a particular love for those pieces at the time motivated my posting here. No Wagner, no Tchaikovsky, no Mahler, no Mozart... shame

Why be embarassed?

There's no doubt Mozart was a genius but he really doesn't float my boat, I like a lot and there's nothing of his music that I can't listen to ( and I've heard EVERY recorded work he's done ), there are times in the past where I felt like a heathen because I love classical so much yet can't accept one of it's greatest sons into my heart!? The same goes for much of Mahler's work too, a lot of it just leaves me cold and it's not for want of trying. I love Wagner but can only digest him in smaller doses! cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I was dropping my mates of at a club at about midnight on Saturday/Sunday and on the way there we deceided to put on classical FM. There was something about the music they were playing that even I found funny. Classical music is just....more structured I guess...it just sounds too formal... spin

You haven't heard enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    A very interesting topic indeed! If Filmmusic-releases don't have anything interesting to offer - you know, those blatant, average composed, all-sound-the same kinda scores - I find myself listening to those alle time classics and little gems to rediscover the power of Classical Music. A few of my all time fav's:

1) Carl Orff: Carmina Burana (Levine, J - CSO )
    2) Gustave Holst: The Planets (Levine, J - CSO )
    3) Alexander Borodin: Prince Igor, Polovtsian Dances ( Solti, g sir - LSO )
    4) Igor Stravinsky: Sacre du Printemps ( Haitink, B - LPO/LSO )
    5) Ludwig Von Beethoven: sy 5 ( Harnoncourt, N )
    6) W.A. Mozart: Requiem ( Marriner, n sir - AOSMF ) -> ost: Amadeus
    7) John Williams: Bassoon & Violin Concerto ( Williams - LSO )
    8) Elliot Goldenthal: Fire, Water, Paper - A Vietnam Oratorio ( Saint Clair, c - Pacific SO )
    9) Camille Saint-Saens: Carnaval des Animaux ( Bernstein, L - NYPO )
    10) Louise Farrenc ( yes a female classical composer!!): chamber music (bernold, m (fl) - leleux, f (ob) - engerer, b (p) ea)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Why be embarassed?

There's no doubt Mozart was a genius but he really doesn't float my boat, I like a lot and there's nothing of his music that I can't listen to ( and I've heard EVERY recorded work he's done ), there are times in the past where I felt like a heathen because I love classical so much yet can't accept one of it's greatest sons into my heart!? The same goes for much of Mahler's work too, a lot of it just leaves me cold and it's not for want of trying. I love Wagner but can only digest him in smaller doses! cool wink

Mozart's music is too 'flowery' as my mum describes it, and I can see where she's coming from. Although Mozart is one of my top classical composers, I can see where you're coming from too, especially if you prefer the Russian side of classical music and of course Vaughan Williams who - along with Tchaikovsky - is my favourite 'classical' composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I was dropping my mates of at a club at about midnight on Saturday/Sunday and on the way there we deceided to put on classical FM. There was something about the music they were playing that even I found funny. Classical music is just....more structured I guess...it just sounds too formal... spin

Romantic era Anthony. And late classical. Requiems (Verdi, Mozart), Masses (Beethoven and lots of others), Wagner, Jean Sibelius, Carl Orff, the russian Five; lots and lots of brilliance to be heard in those eras. (And Baroque, i love Baroque!)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Romantic era Anthony. And late classical. Requiems (Verdi, Mozart), Masses (Beethoven and lots of others), Wagner, Jean Sibelius, Carl Orff, the russian Five; lots and lots of brilliance to be heard in those eras. (And Baroque, i love Baroque!)

Also I would add that hearing it on the radio in the car randomly is not the best way to hear it. There's so much music out there in the classical world, so don't let your impetuous youth let classical music slip by you. There, I have spoken. And so have others - so listen to these wise words.
  2. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Why be embarassed?

Mozart's music is too 'flowery' as my mum describes it, and I can see where she's coming from. Although Mozart is one of my top classical composers, I can see where you're coming from too, especially if you prefer the Russian side of classical music and of course Vaughan Williams who - along with Tchaikovsky - is my favourite 'classical' composer.

This is not surprising for a man who used to call himself the 'ultimate Williams fan'. smile

RE: Timmer's remark before. I am of course not genuinely ashamed of myself, but when I consider that I included Carl Vine's Symphony 5 over something like the Tannhauser Overture or Mozart's Piano Concerto 23 or Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto III or Elgar's Cello Concerto, I can't help but feel like the guy who said that ATONEMENT is one of the greatest soundtracks of all time the day he first heard it. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote

Also I would add that hearing it on the radio in the car randomly is not the best way to hear it. There's so much music out there in the classical world, so don't let your impetuous youth let classical music slip by you. There, I have spoken. And so have others - so listen to these wise words.

So very true!

Not much more to add than that at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The thing is though, how else are you going to get some exposure to that type of music?
    My taste generically was formed by my parents' (mainly my dad's) extensive album collection.

I remember being ten or eleven and just picking out those albums which had covers that most appealed to me... there was the bright red one with a single gleaming acoustic guitar and a rose which introduced me to Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez, the ones with the huge, dark and very intimidating pipe organ which got me into Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, and so on and so forth.

For the rest, my interest mainly peaked through other media: it was a documentary on the September 11 attacks that got me completely hooked on Renaissance polyphonic chants. It was Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon that made me rediscover Handel.

So I don't think the radio is that bad an idea. If you're lucky you might just stumble onto something that really grabs you. Sadly it often takes proper serendipity. I don't know how well-provided the UK is, but Dutch classical radio stations are well into piano or violin concertos (which generally bore me to tears)...and they never, ever play Bach, as that's considered "funeral music"...
    slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Martijn wrote
    The thing is though, how else are you going to get some exposure to that type of music?
    My taste generically was formed by my parents' (mainly my dad's) extensive album collection.

My musical taste is actually quite different from my parents'. Pretty much the only things remotely 'classical' they owned were the soundtrack to Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, and some old musical soundtracks (e.g. The Phantom of the Opera, Camelot, The Sound of Music, Les Misérables). No Mozart, no Beethoven, no Bach, nothing. Of course, I went nuts over the Star Wars soundtrack, as the movie was just coming out, and I thought the music to that was great. Little did I know that there were so many other incredible film scores out there, just waiting to be heard. But I never listened to anything 'classical' until I began taking French horn lessons from a professional horn player. She would give my family and I free tickets to go see the orchestra in concert, and it was then that I became truly exposed to classical music. My parents are still amazed that I like this sort of music; no one else in my family really has much interest in it. As some have said, the radio is a good way for finding new pieces that may float your boat, but I rarely use it. I'd much rather look things up on the web or at Amazon or in the iTunes store.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2008
    I can.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    I can.

What? jump tall buildings in a single bound?

Explain?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I can.

Explain?

Live without classical music. Remember, he has unrefined tastes, you can't expect any less of him! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Right now I only listen to Holst's The Planets and Mahler's Symphony No: 1 (Titan). But I will try to expand my interest in classical stuff in the time to come.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Right now I only listen to Holst's The Planets and Mahler's Symphony No: 1 (Titan). But I will try to expand my interest in classical stuff in the time to come.

You have loads of time cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    I can.

Explain?

Live without classical music. Remember, he has unrefined tastes, you can't expect any less of him! biggrin

Ahhhhh!!! of course!

Fine by me cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote

Is that all you've ever heard?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Is that all you've ever heard?

I have heard lots of stuff Grandpa used to play, but never payed much attention to it tongue But I will check it out later!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008 edited
    Gustavo Dudamel, the relatively recently appointed conductor of the LA Philharmonic is proving classical music is and can be a young man's (and women's) game. (He's also an amazing personality, probably the best conductor I've ever seen.)

Classical music is definitely finding its place in the 21st century.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote

I really hope so. So many people seem to have forgotten about classical music; most find it boring, and not 'cool,' etc. I don't know why this has been happening. A lot of people I know would much rather watch a couple of guys on guitar and drums than a performance utilizing the forces of eighty or so musicians. I just don't get it. And it's not just 'classical' music: what is it nowadays that draws the main crowd to movie soundtracks? Those short pop songs that are sometimes played during the credits. It's really sad, to go to the store and pick up a soundtrack album that has this nice big sticker on the front that says 'Featuring [insert credit song name here] by [band/artist name].' Hello?! What about the other 98% of music on the album? What about the score?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

I really hope so. So many people seem to have forgotten about classical music; most find it boring, and not 'cool,' etc. I don't know why this has been happening. A lot of people I know would much rather watch a couple of guys on guitar and drums than a performance utilizing the forces of eighty or so musicians. I just don't get it. And it's not just 'classical' music: what is it nowadays that draws the main crowd to movie soundtracks? Those short pop songs that are sometimes played during the credits. It's really sad, to go to the store and pick up a soundtrack album that has this nice big sticker on the front that says 'Featuring [insert credit song name here] by [band/artist name].' Hello?! What about the other 98% of music on the album? What about the score?

I have no problem with that. If it's a song I don't like I'll stop/ skip the album track at that point.

But think of it this way, if it get's a few people interested in film scores then surely it's worth it!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Gustavo Dudamel, the relatively recently appointed conductor of the LA Philharmonic is proving classical music is and can be a young man's (and women's) game. (He's also an amazing personality, probably the best conductor I've ever seen.)

What did you see him conduct Steven?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

What did you see him conduct Steven?

I haven't seen him live, but I've seen a few documentaries with him conducting and I just love the guy's style and infectious personality. I've not seen a more likable and enigmatic conductor in all my life!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

I agree with you completely. In some countries scores may be a bit more popular, but in some like out here in India it is a near miracle if you can find even a regular OST in the stores. And even those people buy for the pop songs. How many people do you think know The Lion King for Hans Zimmer's amazing score? It may be one of the highest selling soundtrack albums of all time but I'm ready to bet a lot that most of the sales were for Elton John's pop songs. I will also bet more than half those people would've regularly skipped the score tracks on the CD player. Go ask any of the kids nowadays who composed the music of Lion King and they'll say "ELTON JOHN!!!" in one grand sweeping wave. Ask them if they know Hans Zimmer, and they'll say... "Eh? Hanzi Myrrh? Who's that?" tongue

In one of the reviews of Menken's Enchanted I read somewhere, one dude wrote, after finishing his huge review of the songs, "the rest of the album is the background music from the movie. It's annoying to have that between the songs, but I can understand because this is the whole point of a movie soundtrack and there's always some of that going to be released on OSTs, so we have to get used to it." Grrr, and people like us are practically DYING to get the whole score of our favourite movies! crazy

I am not saying that scores don't sell well, but unfortunately the sales are not as high as the "fashionable/trendy" rock/pop stuff etc. That's why I see the profit-oriented record labels like Disney are now releasing less and less score on the albums and throwing in pop songs in their place. Even with PoTC they have to include the crappy "Tiesto remix" because they're afraid a score only release will not bring them enough profit angry Though I've seen awareness of scores has shown a slight upward trend recently with even some unheard scores being released. I pray it continues! smile beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2008 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote

I agree with you completely. In some countries scores may be a bit more popular, but in some like out here in India it is a near miracle if you can find even a regular OST in the stores. And even those people buy for the pop songs. How many people do you think know The Lion King for Hans Zimmer's amazing score? It may be one of the highest selling soundtrack albums of all time but I'm ready to bet a lot that most of the sales were for Elton John's pop songs. I will also bet more than half those people would've regularly skipped the score tracks on the CD player. Go ask any of the kids nowadays who composed the music of Lion King and they'll say "ELTON JOHN!!!" in one grand sweeping wave. Ask them if they know Hans Zimmer, and they'll say... "Eh? Hanzi Myrrh? Who's that?" tongue

In one of the reviews of Menken's Enchanted I read somewhere, one dude wrote, after finishing his huge review of the songs, "the rest of the album is the background music from the movie. It's annoying to have that between the songs, but I can understand because this is the whole point of a movie soundtrack and there's always some of that going to be released on OSTs, so we have to get used to it." Grrr, and people like us are practically DYING to get the whole score of our favourite movies! crazy

I am not saying that scores don't sell well, but unfortunately the sales are not as high as the "fashionable/trendy" rock/pop stuff etc. That's why I see the profit-oriented record labels like Disney are now releasing less and less score on the albums and throwing in pop songs in their place. Even with PoTC they have to include the crappy "Tiesto remix" because they're afraid a score only release will not bring them enough profit angry Though I've seen awareness of scores has shown a slight upward trend recently with even some unheard scores being released. I pray it continues! smile beer

You make some very good points. I know what you mean about albums such as The Lion King, which deserve much more than just a few score tracks and a multitude of pop songs. One very good example of the stuff you and I have mentioned is found with The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. Great movie, great score, but the soundtrack was - and sadly, still is - being given predominantly negative reviews at the iTunes store. And 99% of them are given by reviewers who haven't even heard the soundtrack, but are simply giving the whole album one star because their favorite song (most often This is Home, by Switchfoot) cannot be purchased alone for $0.99 like all of the score tracks. Sure, I understand how this can be annoying for them, having waited so long, but bottom line is this: don't give a whole album bad reviews unless you own it or have at least listened to it! One reviewer even said (and this is a very similar remark to the one you quoted about the Enchanted soundtrack), "ok I love love loved the movie, but some of us don't want to pay $7.99 and have to buy random background music just to get the actual songs!" Random background music? confused And that's only one comment of probably close to a thousand that insult Harry Gregson-Williams' beautiful score. It would be nice if people in this world would begin to wise up as far as their music tastes go. They don't really have to love film music and classical music, but hey, at least don't beat it down and act like no one in the world likes it! I am so fed up with this. angry As far as the quote you posted, on the Enchanted soundtrack, I was actually sort of surprised to read that. I mean, the person who wrote that in their review made it sound as though film music is some sort of evil that is sweeping across the world, that those who are only into the popular music will have to resist and combat, lest they be overtaken and invaded by it. tongue Ha! Yeah, right! I can't see why people think so negatively of this kind of music! Not everyone hates it, and I don't understand why they can't come to realize that. At my school (and I'm sure many others in their schools, too) over here in the U.S., I actually am sort of persecuted for my love of 'classical' music. Last year, when I was speaking with my friend, a very good trumpet player, as well as a classical music fan, and I exchanged several CDs with him, some nearby jocks saw, and started making a big deal of the fact that I was into Beethoven. They made every point of telling their jock friends, and trying to make me feel ashamed and embarrassed of my musical taste. That has died down within the past year, but there is still the undeniable feeling that I'm different from the others. I'm not popular, I've been in band (and later marching band) for four years, I hang out with the 'nerds,' etc. And the thing that really bugs me is the fact that this has taken place (and does) at a Christian school! People aren't perfect, but I can't stand hypocrites who say they believe one thing and follow Christ and act another way entirely. I have really dragged this post out, but I had a lot to say. Sorry. smile Please forgive my rambling. Anyways, nah, you're not alone, in India; it sadly happens over here, too.

P.S. BtW, I also hate the He's a Pirate (Tiësto Remix) for the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest soundtrack. vomit