• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    I totally agree with what you say about the Prince Caspian soundtrack. I have read reviews of other Disney soundtracks like Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Finding Nemo etc where the people bought the album only for the songs and openly complained about having to buy the score along too. Example, with Toy Story 2 I heard about 90% of the sales of the album on were for the song "When She Loved Me", and on places like iTunes everyone grumbled to get the score along too. Not that I have anything against people who don't wish to have the score, but as you mentioned, I dislike their remarks that the score is like some plague on the album which disrupts the listening experience.

And what's more annoying is that these people make fun of people who listen to instrumental score/classical stuff. I can understand how you feel, because I've been through the same myself too. Earlier, my friends used to openly ask me "What's that rubbish you keep listening to with the trumpet band going "bhoo bhoo?" Listen to the "just chill" pop stuff out here!" Read my user info for more wink But for myself, I'm proud to have a taste that few people have, because I experience magic in instrumental score that I never find in rock/pop etc. biggrin

Cheers! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008 edited
    ok guys, let's be honest. Is it that abnormal that people remember the song from the film instead of the score? Isn't that the reason they go out and buy the album? Not to mention that the song of the film often is heard at the end titles so it's the last things they hear and if it's a good song ( like toy story and such ) it will be remembered. It's a fact: people don't pay attention to the music in the film. But for sure if there would'nt be music presented they would miss it. The magic of filmmusic i guess...

As for Lion King... I must agree but only in part. Let's not forget that Elton John & Time rice came up with 5 tracks of the 9 ( the 3 alternate versions of the songs not mentioned ) for the initial album!!! Zimmer nearly orchestrated, arranged and orchestrated the 5 songs. That he did a FANTASTIC job is part of the success I'm sure! I simply LOVE this soundtrack but there's more people that deserve credit than just Zimmer. Not to forget the STUNNING and Powerfull African vocal arrangements done by Lebo M!!!

Hakuna Matata
    Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I never said that it is abnormal for people to enjoy the songs more than the score. I know everyone has different tastes and I respect that. What I said was that I dislike it when some people call the score tracks a waste of space and rubbish etc. I mean they should know there are actually people who actually buy albums just for score and respect that. I don't have anything against them, I just dislike it, it's just my opinion.

As for Lion King, I love the songs as much as you do, believe me! I especially love Circle of Life and Can You Feel The Love Tonight both film and Elton John versions. But I'm furious because four (five if you count the "Hyenas" track on some foreign versions) heavily edited tracks of this beautiful score on OST isn't the way to go and it's a shame that the real fans of this score have to resort to listening to an illegal bootleg with crappy quality and half the tracks in mono. There exists an academy promo and recording sessions with good quality but it's easier to find a living dodo than come across them, and the few people who have them don't help. So why is this disparity among fans? Doesn't each fan have a right to listen to his or her favourite music? But again this is because in the mainstream music all the desirable stuff is mostly commercially released and fans don't have to strive that hard to find their favourite stuff. And you know how the situation is in the film score world! tongue

I'm sorry for ranting about The Lion King score so much but I have a nostalgic attachment for this score and I love it so much that, weird it may seem, I can go on listening to it only for the rest of my time and not get bored, and so I really want to get a real complete version of it. Oh well, we all have our own obssessions, don't we? wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    Hey, demonstar! Keep those obsessions man! it keeps things alive! 'Cause you have a good point there, absolutely! it's a mystery why some of the best cues eventually never make it on the official release. I mean, the efforts ( by the composer, musicians ) aren't lesser on those tracks. So if they have the music why not publish it. It doesn't seem to cost them more money to do so?
    I'm aware of the fact that they can't and they should'nt put every sec of music on CD ( the bootleg complete scores are often less listenable - aside of the poor soundquality -). But some scores - Lion King, King Kong, Star Wars new trilogy - just deserve better releases and other scores deserve no release AT all but they do ( too many to mention )

critical me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Joris wrote
    Hey, demonstar! Keep those obsessions man! it keeps things alive! 'Cause you have a good point there, absolutely! it's a mystery why some of the best cues eventually never make it on the official release. I mean, the efforts ( by the composer, musicians ) aren't lesser on those tracks. So if they have the music why not publish it. It doesn't seem to cost them more money to do so?
    I'm aware of the fact that they can't and they should'nt put every sec of music on CD ( the bootleg complete scores are often less listenable - aside of the poor soundquality -). But some scores - Lion King, King Kong, Star Wars new trilogy - just deserve better releases and other scores deserve no release AT all but they do ( too many to mention )

critical me

I agree with you, man! As far as Lion King is concerned, I think they didn't release more score on the original official CD because back then Hans Zimmer was a new composer for Disney and so they were careful. But after it went on to sweep both its well deserved Oscar and Golden Globes and was a success, Hans' career shot up significantly. So why didn't Disney release an extended score when they had a golden opportunity with the Platinum special edition soundtrack in 2003?

That is because, as they say, when they need to do an extended score, it takes "millions of dollars" for each cue because they have to pay every single musician, recording artist, engineer, conductor etc for EVERY INDIVIDUAL CUE and a score release doesn't fetch them enough money back, so they'll go bankrupt, become peasants, live on grass, wash windows, blah blah etc. You know Disney Records' policy - produce stuff that can convince people to part with their wallet contents. So they go for stuff from which they can get maximum profit - you see how much preference they give to stuff like High School Musical and as far as original scores are concerned, they've got a "Just get done with the darn thing quickly" attitude. See for yourself, Lion King isn't the only score which has been treated this way by them.

Then, tell me, are record labels like Reprise which took YEARS to sweat on making the Lord of The Rings Complete Recordings perfect and spent millions of dollars on its release, lunatics?? I'd like to point out here, sir, that the Complete Recordings sold out like hot cakes in the first week and in case of RoTK there was (and is) actually shortage of the copies!! So what have these people got to lose by doing a small limited edition extended release? They just want to take a peek into the future and see that they're doing a Scrooge McDuck dive into a money bin before doing a release. Otherwise, hasta la vista.

And IMO Lion King is very much, if not equally, as powerful as LoTR. If GREAT scores of FLOP movies like Godzilla can have a release, why not TERRIFIC scores of AWESOME movies like Lion King? That's why I am supporting the petition for the complete release of Lion King (link in my sig) and despite discouragement pouring in from all sides I will do everything I can to help it gain success till the end! beer
  1. There's probably a thread somewhere where people can talk about film music they wish they had. Let's keep this one on topic. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    ah, franz... then I have a great one for yah! One that could kick some ass!!

Is filmmusic equal in quality than a classical composition? For instance; Composer John Williams discribed what he did for Star Wars per episode similar in quantity than a Mahler Symphony. But can filmmusic EVER be takin' as seriously as a classical concert work?

grtz, Jojo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'd say John Williams is the modern day composer most close to classical style. Naturally there are some scores that I can see becoming regarded as classical in the future - Star Wars and LoTR for example. But naturally you can't call that the scores which are based more on electronics and synthesizers! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Yeah, franz_conrad is right; this thread has started to drift off topic. I'll go see if there is another thread for film music, but in the meantime, let's apply what we've been talking about to classical music; what do you guys think it is that keeps most people nowadays from liking and purchasing classical music? I don't see how so many can neglect an art form that has been around for centuries and has withstood the test of time. Most people seem to think it's boring... In what way? Because there's often no lead singer (and if there is, they're often not singing in English smile) or guitar are drum set? Why are these supposed 'necessities' to popular music lovers? Why isn't classical music known as 'popular' music?

DemonStar wrote
    They just want to take a peek into the future and see that they're doing a Scrooge McDuck dive into a money bin before doing a release.

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, the truth is the root of ALL present day music, be it score, rock, anything lies in classical music, but the new generation seems to have taken only to this new "offspring" and forgotten its "parent". Not surprising - an off-topic example, Twenty20 is the "offspring" of "traditional" Test Cricket too but isn't it causing its popularity to decrease? wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Simple, it's not in modern culture, it's not in schools (at least not here), it's not on tv, it's absent from everything the younger generation lives in. Lucky more and more they at least to try to bring it closer by popularising clasical music radio, which on the other hand creates tension with the classical music fans (and snobs) for making the radio station too light.

Sigh.

At a student job 2 years ago I worked together with a fellow who couldn't understand that I listened to music with orchestra and instruments. "That's something for old people" he said. So he listened to modern music, because that's for the young people, like techno and trance.

I guess a lot of it is misunderstanding, the snobbism around it and obviously the unpopularity and general lack of interest everywhere. The worst thing is that they now remix popular classical music tunes in hiphop, rap, crap, slutmusic and others. I puked when I heard The Nutcracka by Lunaman (Belgian band or so) at a party some months ago. Probably nobody in the room knew it was composed by a certain T. slant
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Yeah, franz_conrad is right; this thread has started to drift off topic. I'll go see if there is another thread for film music, but in the meantime, let's apply what we've been talking about to classical music; what do you guys think it is that keeps most people nowadays from liking and purchasing classical music? I don't see how so many can neglect an art form that has been around for centuries and has withstood the test of time. Most people seem to think it's boring... In what way? Because there's often no lead singer (and if there is, they're often not singing in English smile) or guitar are drum set? Why are these supposed 'necessities' to popular music lovers? Why isn't classical music known as 'popular' music?

DemonStar wrote
    They just want to take a peek into the future and see that they're doing a Scrooge McDuck dive into a money bin before doing a release.

LOL biggrin

Well, classical music is popular music to an extent, Holst The Planets, much of Tchaikovsky's well known melodies, Grieg's Pier Gynt, Barber's Adagio, Greensleeves, The Sorcerors Apprentice, Carnival of The Animals, Peter and The Wolf....loads, but probably many people wouldn't know who wrote them?

Vivaldi's THE FOUR SEASONS was a huge seller here in the UK a few years ago though I can't remember whose version it was? Richard Hickox award winning recording of Vaughan Williams symphony # 2 also sold very well. Classical music still has a healthy following, at least as far as I can tell here in UK.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Bregt wrote
    Simple, it's not in modern culture, it's not in schools (at least not here), it's not on tv, it's absent from everything the younger generation lives in.

But why? Why isn't it in modern culture? Why isn't it in schools? Why isn't it on TV? That's what it all really boils down to. The whole culture seems to be erasing it, and then we get these scientists and news reporters who come on TV and say, 'Classical music makes kids smart.' Um... well, that's great, but how are the kids ever going to listen to it when our world presents it as not in style and as only "something for old people?"

Bregt wrote
    The worst thing is that they now remix popular classical music tunes in hiphop, rap, crap, slutmusic and others. I puked when I heard The Nutcracka by Lunaman (Belgian band or so) at a party some months ago. Probably nobody in the room knew it was composed by a certain T. slant

I know what you mean. It stinks when popular artists try to remix classical works. I've seen (or should I say heard) that done many times on TV, and it really sickens me. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Bregt wrote
    I guess a lot of it is misunderstanding, the snobbism around it and obviously the unpopularity and general lack of interest everywhere. The worst thing is that they now remix popular classical music tunes in hiphop, rap, crap, slutmusic and others. I puked when I heard The Nutcracka by Lunaman (Belgian band or so) at a party some months ago. Probably nobody in the room knew it was composed by a certain T. slant

I can understand how that feels! The music dudes at my old school copied Beethoven's 9th Symphony (I forget the movement...) tune for the College Anthem and then played it in the Annual Sports event with loud drums and distortion guitars! Hearing frogs croaking sounds better than that! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    The music dudes at my old school copied Beethoven's 9th Symphony (I forget the movement...) tune for the College Anthem and then played it in the Annual Aports event with loud drums and distortion guitars! Hearing frogs croaking sounds better than that! angry

Ew! Yuck! vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yeah, some things should be left the way they are! wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote

Yeah! Is it just me, or are Beethoven's Ode to Joy and Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker the two most remixed classical pieces out there?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote

But it's alright for Michael Kamen to mess about with Beethoven # 9 in Die Hard?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

But it's alright for Michael Kamen to mess about with Beethoven # 9 in Die Hard?

To be true, I haven't listened to that one. But I can tell almost all of these sound awful without listening! slant tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kids today don't care. Apart that their teachers are anxiously looking at the clock on the wall for their ditching time to arrive, parents are musically illiterate / careless themselves and besides that, how would the kids find time for proper musical education among their fancy game consoles and pc games, clothes and stupid ipods / mobile phones, tv and idiotic r'n'b / pop culture or Rihana's umbrella?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJoris
    there's a flipside of the coin as well... How awfull these remixes truely are, they do reach a huge amount of youngsters with something that was initially classical intended. And just now and then someone will step up and try to find out who wrote the damn thing.

I remember i heard a drum & bass remix of Shostakovich's symphony n 8. I knew Shostakovich, but not this one. so I went out and searched for it. Of course I know that some people will believe that some stupid DJ came up with that tune... well, there are dumb people EVERYWHERE. let's blame them! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

To be true, I haven't listened to that one. But I can tell almost all of these sound awful without listening! slant tongue

I was merely playing devil's advocate, I have no problem with Kamen using Beethoven 9. In fact where would much of the great film scores we love be without the foundation of classical that so much film music is based on? The likes of Williams, Herrmann, Rozsa, Goldsmith, Horner, Zimmer etc owe MASSIVELY to the likes of Stravinsky, Prokofiev, Holst, Vaughan Williams, Debussy, Ravel etc who in turn owe MASSIVELY to Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Wagner etc who owe MASSIVELY...... wink

Let's not forget that ROCK / POP & JAZZ have played a gigantic role in film music too ( I'm not talking about the inclusion of songs on soundtracks ) with John Barry, Henry Mancini, Ennio Morricone, Michel Legrand & Danny Elfman being great examples.

And finally let's not forget that film music has, in turn influenced all those artforms too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Joris wrote
    well, there are dumb people EVERYWHERE. let's blame them! smile

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    Let's not forget that ROCK / POP & JAZZ have played a gigantic role in film music too ( I'm not talking about the inclusion of songs on soundtracks ) with John Barry, Henry Mancini, Ennio Morricone, Michel Legrand & Danny Elfman being great examples.

And finally let's not forget that film music has, in turn influenced all those artforms too.

We're living in a world of "Inspired By..." stuff, mate! lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote

We're living in a world of "Inspired By..." stuff, mate! lol

Yeap! RC & MV are right at the forefront!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Joris wrote
    there's a flipside of the coin as well... How awfull these remixes truely are, they do reach a huge amount of youngsters with something that was initially classical intended. And just now and then someone will step up and try to find out who wrote the damn thing.

I remember i heard a drum & bass remix of Shostakovich's symphony n 8. I knew Shostakovich, but not this one. so I went out and searched for it. Of course I know that some people will believe that some stupid DJ came up with that tune... well, there are dumb people EVERYWHERE. let's blame them! smile

It's nothing new ( in every sense ), pop artists have arranged classical many times.

Nutrocker - B Bumble & The Stingers ( Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker )

Fanfare For The Common Man - Emerson, Lake & Palmer ( Copeland )

Roll Over Beethoven - various artists ( 5th symphony )

Joybringer - Manfred Mann's Earthband ( Holst's Jupiter )

A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harem ( J.S. Bach )

The lists go on, anybody know some more?................
  2. We had some talk about calssical music lately on the Now Playing non film music thread. So I thought there should be a thread for classical music here on this board. Well, what do you know ... Timmer opend one some ages ago. Seem like no one posted here for six years though, so about time to give things another go.

In the mail today:
    The Beethoven Symphonies cycle by Claudio Abbado and the Berlin Philharmonics on DG Eloquence.

Also in the mail (film music):
    LLL's "Matrix Revolutions" and
    Tadlow's "The Private Live of Sherlock Holmes".

A lot of ear candy!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    We had some talk about calssical music lately on the Now Playing non film music thread. So I thought there should be a thread for classical music here on this board. Well, what do you know ... Timmer opend one some ages ago.

franz_conrad, sir. Credit where credits due.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    We had some talk about calssical music lately on the Now Playing non film music thread. So I thought there should be a thread for classical music here on this board. Well, what do you know ... Timmer opend one some ages ago.

franz_conrad, sir. Credit where credits due.

Of course! You have been the last contributor six years ago. I muddled that up. spin
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014
    Yeah, I gave up after yet more Zimmer pollution. dizzy
    Good reboot, Captain!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn