• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2016
    Steven wrote
    It's also a great thing when music is written to a story (i.e. a movie). Hence this forum.

True.

J. Flaherty wrote
    Just so happens I enjoyed an early-morning listen to Beethoven's symphony No. 4 and thought I'd submit the observation that it's indeed a great thing when a musician's music doesn't have to serve another master (i.e., a movie).

Also true. Having no constraints is liberating but I've no doubt that many great classical composers would have turned their hand to movie music if born at the appropriate time and it's proved by those who I need not name again who crossed that era of composing before and after the advent of motion pictures.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. They were some of the biggest entertainers of their day. And most of the baroque and classical composers actually did compose what they were told to compose. Royals or ecclesiastical leaders would commission a specific piece, and although the composers weren't bound by imagines on a screen, they still often didn't have the freedom to compose whatever they would have liked. Bach was a great violinist, and wrote wonderfully virtuoso violin pieces - but not very many of them. I think he only composed 2-3 violin concertos in his life. I'm not sure of all the reasons for that, but he surely would have composed many more if that's what he was commissioned to do.

J. Flaherty wrote
    Just so happens I enjoyed an early-morning listen to Beethoven's symphony No. 4 and thought I'd submit the observation that it's indeed a great thing when a musician's music doesn't have to serve another master.

That's appropriately worded. Not only was Beethoven not bound by a film - he was also one of the first who did not work primarily for a royal family or the church. One of my favorite stories about him (and I hope I'm not spreading legends here) was when a king complained about something Beethoven had written and Beethoven dismissed his criticism by telling him something like, "There are many kings, but there is only one Beethoven." I don't think many composers prior to Beethoven would have spoken to a king like that.
  2. christopher wrote
    "There are many kings, but there is only one Beethoven."

Cocky little bastard. biggrin

'course, he had the talent to back up such an outrageous claim...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2016
    Hahah love it. Give those kings' smug a kick in the ass wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2016 edited
    Steven wrote
    It's also a great thing when music is written to a story (i.e. a movie). Hence this forum.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2016
    Beethoven certainly spoke the truth.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2016
    I wish Robert would post more often.
    Tom smile
  3. I agree smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. I've been listening to a bit more classical lately than is my norm, I still have a shamefully small collection compared to most (basically it's whatever was in Fantasia or Fantasia 2000 plus a few other scattered things), but I'd like to expand those horizons a bit. I'm very open to recommendations so long as they come with at least a few sentences explaining why those things are being recommended. wink

I'll start with one of my personal favorites, although my guess is most of you are already familiar with this one: Pines of Rome by Ottorino Respighi. If you've seen Fantasia 2000 you'll know it as "the flying whale piece", but it's significantly shortened for that (an entire movement is missing!) and definitely worth checking out the full work. I love all four movements, from the bright and busy "Villa Borghese" to the stately "Catacomb" (this is the one that is missing from Fantasia and is a very, very clear precursor to Miklos Rozsa and by extension Basil Poledouris), but the pick of the bunch is "Appian Way", which is a goosebump-inducing slow build that culminates in one of the most blazingly, bombastically heroic themes you ever will hear (and again, to put it in film-musical terms, I rather suspect it was an influence on John Williams' Krypton fanfare from Superman...so if you imagine that bloated out to a glorious march, you might start to grasp the enormity of "Appian Way"!).

So anything along those lines would be much appreciated. punk
  5. Man, I love 'Pines of Rome'. Not into much classical either but this piece is just so 'filmic' if you know what I mean.
    I'm sure Robert will have to say more about this than I can.

As for a recommendation I can give: The Planets (Gustav Holst). Fantastic music. Many versions exist, there even is a John Williams conducted version.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. Yeah, The Planets is one of the few works I am familiar with (I've played it too!). I think it's required listening for pretty much any semi-serious film music fan, so influential has it been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2016
    "Scheherazade" by Rimsky-Korsakov, is the tale of the 1001 nights. It is filled with melodies, romantic times, and heroic action. You can download for free by going to http://rediscovery.us/conductors.html and finding RD 066. The conductor is Morton Gould. Rimsky-Korsakov would have been a fine writer for Hollywood. He was a master of orchestration and his book on the subject is still used in music today. Depending on how you feel about this work and what you write back will help me decide what the next one will be. I would start with one and listen several times and then make a decision. Hope this helps.
    Tom smile
  7. Tom, just so you know, Robert has been pre-occupied somewhat. I'm sure he'll be back shortly. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2016
    good to hear. Check out that classical piece
  8. sdtom wrote
    "Scheherazade" by Rimsky-Korsakov, is the tale of the 1001 nights. It is filled with melodies, romantic times, and heroic action. You can download for free by going to http://rediscovery.us/conductors.html and finding RD 066. The conductor is Morton Gould. Rimsky-Korsakov would have been a fine writer for Hollywood. He was a master of orchestration and his book on the subject is still used in music today. Depending on how you feel about this work and what you write back will help me decide what the next one will be. I would start with one and listen several times and then make a decision. Hope this helps.
    Tom smile

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm familiar with the famous violin theme from Scheherazade but I've never listened to the whole thing, so I'll put it on the list. I've liked pretty much everything I've heard from Rimsky-Korsakov, which is basically limited to his Russian Easter Overture and, I suppose, his orchestration of Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain. And who doesn't know "Flight of the Bumblebee"? wink

Is that website legitimate, by the way? There's a ton of stuff available for free download there! Might have to plunder a few other things while I'm at it. Thanks, Tom. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2016
    First of all the website is 100% legitimate. All of the recordings offered for download are in public domain so enjoy them.

Rimsky-Korsakoff's (another name spelling) 2nd Symphony 'Antar' is a fine addition to any classical collection. It is located right underneath Scheherazade. The number is RD013.

Some of his works are like soundtracks because they have a story and he envisions what is going on in his head and then writing about it. Another example is he wrote 16 operas and each one has a fine overture (no singing) for each one. Flight of the Bumble Bee came from the opera The Tale of the Tsar Sultan.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Please feel free to ask questions of me at anytime.
    Tom smile
  9. sdtom wrote
    First of all the website is 100% legitimate. All of the recordings offered for download are in public domain so enjoy them.

Public domain, of course. I forgot. face-palm-mt dizzy
  10. NP: Missa Solemnis - Ludwig van Beethoven
    Vienna Philharmonics, James Levine; Deutsche Grammophon

I love this work. Beethoven explores the limits of tonality, sometimes he seems to leap almost 100 years ahead of his time. That Beethoven experienced this music in his mind only is astounding.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    So anything along those lines would be much appreciated. punk

If you enjoy Respighi then you'll love this absolutely mind-blowing performance of the Roman Festivals

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2016
    It is a fine performance
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2016
    Dear friends,

I just noticed that you want me to give more details about the music I love the most (if I have to write this down I need several pages, but I can give you a very selected list of my favourites) : First there is "Das Wohltemperirte Clavier" from J.S. Bach : 48 preludes en 48 fugues (playing time : more than 4 hours) of immense beauty: the song-cycle "4 letzte Lieder" from Richard Strauss (what an incredible and the most deepest sensation in the 4 songs, from Spring until the announcement of the coming death of the composer); Mozart's opera "Die Zauberflöte" : a continuity of the most beautiful aria's ever written; Stravinsky "Le sacre du printemps" a milestone in modern classical music; Beethoven's 5 last string quartets where the composer announces a complete new vision on the future of his art; Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" a tribute to life and nature; I feel I have to stop here but there is so much left which will be for another occasion. Feel free to react and let me know your opinion. Until very soon.

Robert
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2016
    Do you feel Robert that The Rite of Spring (like it very much) had more impact than Rhapsody in Blue from Gershwin?
  11. Rite of Spring was certainly a lot riskier. My music history is a little rusty; I know Rhapsody in Blue is one of the first concert works to incorporate jazz, but I don't think it was the first, was it? Certainly it's pretty populist compared to Stravinsky.

As to which had more impact, well speaking in film music terms (which are really the only terms I can speak in), I certainly think action music would be nowhere without Stravinsky, and you hear his influence all over the place in both subtle and obvious ways. Hell, even last year's Mission: Impossible score had a Stravinskian passage at one point!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This depends on whether Tom means its influence on film music, in which case Stravinsky wins by light years.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  12. Robert wrote
    Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde" a tribute to life and nature

One of my favorite works. It'd be a dream come true for me personally if Mahler's ghost scored my death.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Four Last Songs are pretty much perfection.
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    Hello everyone,

Many thanks for your reactions : to respond to Tom's reaction about the difference between The Rite of Spring and Rhapsody in Blue.
    There is no doubt about it that The Rite of Spring had a much greater impact on the evolution of Classical music : this is a work of immense power, which brought us a completely new approach of what music should sound like : this was never heard before (cfr the scandal in Paris). I must say the more I listen to that work the more I adore it. By the way : all of Stravinsky's works is of such a high level that one would be "haunted" to buy all the recordings. The Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin has his importance in approaching Jazz to the Classical world and it is a great work but not as great as the Stravinsky's masterpiece.
    About Mahler and Richard Strauss (two of my very favourite composers) : they also brought new and touching visions of the evolution of symphonies (Mahler) and opera (R. Strauss).
    In my list of yesterday I forgot to mention - above others - two other works (songcycles) that stroke me immediately deep in my heart and bones : Robert Schumann's "Dichterliebe" and Franz Schubert's "Winterreise". These are creations of beauty, hope, despair and sorrow. Try to listen to it and a new world will be opened to your senses.
    Later on, more comments on other masterpieces which stole my heart and the rest of my body..
    Until soon.

Robert
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    Hello Edmund,

I agree completely what you wrote about Respighi's "Pines of Rome" : it is obvious that the place it got in "Fantasia 2000" has helped this work becoming very popular. But without this "publicity" it remains a masterpiece : the choice of the parts is incredibly well done : from the gloomy atmosphere of "the Catacomb" to the exuberant explosion at the end of the "Appian Way" : this is musis that is so overwhelming that you would listen to it every day. But Respighi has written other marvellous beauties : try "Il Tramonto" (twilight) for alto-voice and orchestra : just gorgeous. And there are other splendid works of him too many to mention.
    Greetings.

Robert
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My thought was that this work is performed by symphony orchestras and I think it introduced people to the world of classical music something that cannot be said of The Rite of Spring. Did you know that Ferde Grofe, composer of the Grand Canyon Suite, did the arranging and orchestration.