• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016
    Arvo Part, Tavener, Penderecki, Gorecki, absolutely adore them. First two's serenity is soul-calming for me and an everyday need. 2nd and 3rd i always resort to, when i need something more challenging on the background. Amazing masters of their craft. Same goes for David Lang.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Robert wrote
    What's going on here : let's try to be polite and reasonable. This is not the way civilized people discuss with each other.

Robert

Oh dear, you're in for a treat when you start reading the other topics biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh yes, you need a lot of getting accustomed, to, ehem, maintitles etiquette wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Robert wrote
    What's going on here : let's try to be polite and reasonable. This is not the way civilized people discuss with each other.

Robert

Dear Robert, as a rule of thumb, roughly 99% of jibing and off-topic comments here are presented (and taken) in jest.
    I fully realise it's a hard thing to recognise when the only clues as to the tone are just letters on a screen: one misses inflection, body language, facial expressions....it does lead to misunderstanding some times, though -honestly- rarely.
    Most of us here know each other and each other's way of expressing themselves really quite well (the advantage of a small community...which in itself certainly may present some challenges to "newcomers").

So please don't be alarmed.
    All is well. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited
    Robert wrote

Robert

Dad, this is normal behavior on maintitles since it started in 2007, getting off-topic constantly, joking with lots of sarcastic remarks. Especially with certain members, that know how to interpret a joke. Just another way of getting through the day. smile

Yes as Martijn said: ALL IS WELL. wave
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    O.K. I'm reassured.

Robert
  2. beer

After this slight deviation how about we discuss some classically themed movies we've seen. There are only two I've watched and they have been great. 'A Late Quartet' starring Christopher Walken and Philip Seymour Hoffmann as one half of a string quartet. I was more into the performances and how the characters interacted than the music itself, but the music is the backbone of the story, so it deserves a mention. I forgot the composer of the music in that film.

Then there's one that never ceases to amaze and I've seen a couple of times: 'Immortal Beloved' about the life and death of one Ludwig van Beethoven. Great movie, wonderfully shot and stunningly acted by Gary Oldman as the big man. On my last viewing (with dad smile) I noticed the music which was absolutely perfect for any given scene. In other words superb film music. Beethoven was the John Williams of his time (IMO = In My Opinion).
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. You haven't seen Amadeus? shocked

I mean, I think it's a bit overrated...but I would have thought everybody has seen that one!
  4. Don't think so, or I forgot everything about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    You haven't seen Amadeus? shocked

I mean, I think it's a bit overrated...but I would have thought everybody has seen that one!

Overrated it is not! It's arguably the greatest musical bio pic of all time! Plus, it's one of my all time favourite films featuring one of THE greatest scenes in film history.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. It's a good movie, don't get me wrong, and I'm not sure I'd even debate your "greatest musical biopic of all time" label (mostly because that really isn't so huge a pool to pick from; of the ones I've seen, only Gilles' mention of Immortal Beloved competes) - I just find it a little tiring to sit through.

Also - prepares to duck again - I find Mozart himself a wee bit overrated. shame
  6. You mean, you personally don't like his music so much? Or do you think his impact on orchestral music is overrated?

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. The former - I'm certainly not musicologically educated enough to hazard an opinion on the latter! And "don't like" is certainly too strongly phrased; Mozart's music is brilliantly tuneful and enjoyable but I don't really sense much depth of emotion inside it that would explain to me his elevated status above all other composers as The Genius. Really I'm a romantic at heart (aren't we film music fans all?), so just about the earliest music that connects emotionally for me is mid-to-late Beethoven; I feel the same "distance" towards Haydn, Handel, Bach, even the more "classical" romantics like Mendelssohn and Brahms. Great music; would rarely choose to listen to it.
  8. We are very much the same here. There are about 10-15 pieces by Mozart I really adore. The usual suspects: Nachtmusik, Rondo al la Turca, Clarinet Concerto, Magic Flute, Krönungsmesse, Requiem, the late symphonies. I don't play Mozart very often. Also some baroque pieces, but yes, it really takes flight with mid-to-late Beethoven.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mozart? ehm, just the REQUIEM, the 40th symphony 1st mvmtn, and mozart mass in c minor, i.e. his minor, grand works. The rest is mostly unbearable to me.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    We are very much the same here. There are about 10-15 pieces by Mozart I really adore. The usual suspects: Nachtmusik, Rondo al la Turca, Clarinet Concerto, Magic Flute, Krönungsmesse, Requiem, the late symphonies. I don't play Mozart very often. Also some baroque pieces, but yes, it really takes flight with mid-to-late Beethoven.

Eine Kleine Nachtmusik exemplifies everything about Mozart that I can't get into tongue .

Although "unbearable" might be taking things a bit too far, no, D?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Mozart? ehm, just the REQUIEM, the 40th symphony 1st mvmtn, and mozart mass in c minor, i.e. his minor, grand works. The rest is mostly unbearable to me.

I like a bit more than you D but I agree with where you're coming from. Still, Mozart was a genius with or without our opinions.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well of course, that's undeniable for sure.
    •  
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Also - prepares to duck again - I find Mozart himself a wee bit overrated. shame

shocked

Prepare to feel the wrath of someone soon.

Nah seriously, I know what you're saying. Give me film composers any day of the week over Mozart or most of the other classics. Dad knows this, but I've been broadening my horizons somewhat in the last couple of years. Gorecki for instance, some Shostakovich (the ferocious energetic type). And Glass, but I know him mostly for Koyaanisqatsi. I can really dig repetitive minimalist music, as long as it holds a clear and memorable melody.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Gilles, check out Glass huge choral orchestral work ITAIPU.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't expect Mozart is popular among film music fans in general.
    •  
    Yes, and I won't start now. I've found my niche, and stay with me it will until I die.

Tim: I'll ask dad. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I don't expect Mozart is popular among film music fans in general.

Indeed, many of our favourite classical composers tend to be filmic, Debussy, Ravel, Holst, Grieg, Mussorgsky etc come to mind or they have even dabbled in film scoring themselves, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Vaughan Williams and Aaron Copland being the most high profile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Favorite classical composers are Romantic era, late romantic, 20th century..
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Tim: I'll ask dad. wink

If Robert doesn't have it you can listen on Spotify, the album also contains the rousing The Canyon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016
    Deception featured the cello concerto of Korngold and The Soloist featured Beethoven's 3rd. Of course there are others that are classical in nature such as Rebecca (Waxman) and Jane Eyre (Herrmann).
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016
    I'm not a big fan of Mozart either
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2016 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    beer

After this slight deviation how about we discuss some classically themed movies we've seen. There are only two I've watched and they have been great. 'A Late Quartet' starring Christopher Walken and Philip Seymour Hoffmann as one half of a string quartet. I was more into the performances and how the characters interacted than the music itself, but the music is the backbone of the story, so it deserves a mention. I forgot the composer of the music in that film.

Gilles, I read your comment about the film "A late quartet" and you didn't know the name of the composer : well, It was Ludwig van Beethoven and the work that was the "backbone" of the film was his quartet opus 131 (one of his last works). This quartet belongs to his famous late string quartets which are considered as the top of his oeuvre, leading listeners already to later art-forms (like expressionism). Beethoven is the only composer who during his lifetime passed through several tendencies of music history : he had a master brain and his intellectual possibilities can be compared to the creations of J.S.Bach and W.A. Mozart.

Robert
  10. Just so happens I enjoyed an early-morning listen to Beethoven's symphony No. 4 and thought I'd submit the observation that it's indeed a great thing when a musician's music doesn't have to serve another master (i.e., a movie).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2016
    It's also a great thing when music is written to a story (i.e. a movie). Hence this forum.