• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016
    my favourites are Vaughan Williams, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, Holst, and many more.

I love Liszt and Chopin. Wagner is incredible but too heavy and rich a meal to digest in one sitting.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016
    Good heavens! Some of my very favourite works are from Wagner (Siegfrieds Tod) and Liszt (Les Préludes). I find them incredibly rich and fulfilling.

I'd be very interested to learn why -if that is even qualifiable, especially where music is concerned some effects are just veneral and beyond reason- their works have this effect on you, Robert?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2016
    With the exception of "Les Preludes I am in complete agreement with you! Today for example I was listening to Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Antar' Symphony a historical recording with Paul Paray and the Detroit Symphony. Mercury had a technique in the early 50's where they used a single mike and this was one of them. I think of Rimsky-Korsakov as a true master of orchestration and I've learned over the years that he isn't just all about Scheherazade. On your list I can identify eith Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, Ravel.

What kind of system do you have?
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    Hello friends,

Tom wants to know what system I possess : well, it's a dolby-surround system (5 speakers JBL), an audio-video system from ONKYO, a CD-player (DENON) and CD-player/writer from TASCAM;
    I want to add a few composers I forgot in my previous list : GRIEG, HANDEL and HAYDN/
    Allow me to make a suggestion : listen to H. GORECKI's 3rd symphony (symphony of sorrowful songs) and you will feel the whole deep sorrow and pain of humanity : the themes used by the composer are of such a beauty and when I listen to that work I have all the times a flow of tears in my eyes : this is tragedy that goes through heart and soul (unforgettable).
    I would appreciate your reaction..

Robert
  1. Impressive
    Me on the other side, I have a 2005 Panasonic SA PM 41 midi system with a Logitech Bluetooth streaming device attached to it ...
    Well, I was never on the high end sound side of things. smile

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm fairly mid-range, HiFi-wise. I have floorstanding JBL speakers, like Robert, a Cambridge amplifier (just 1 year old!), but no CD player. I have a Philips BluRay, and an excellent Pioneer DVD player in storage (which works as a CD player).

But my dad has a pretty insane set-up, very High-End into at least 100.000 NOK. Probably more.

Back on-topic, I will post my recent classical program on NRK once the embargo is lifted. Would be neat with some feedback on that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have the following: Pioneer SA9900 amp, Marantz 9004 CD player, Intersound (Bose) floor speakers, Philips CD recorder, Technics 1200 turntable with Shure V15 cartridge.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I enjoy Grieg too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I enjoy Grieg too.

Me too! They do a fine Steak slice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Are they a restaurant?
  2. Robert wrote
    Allow me to make a suggestion : listen to H. GORECKI's 3rd symphony (symphony of sorrowful songs) and you will feel the whole deep sorrow and pain of humanity : the themes used by the composer are of such a beauty and when I listen to that work I have all the times a flow of tears in my eyes : this is tragedy that goes through heart and soul (unforgettable).
    I would appreciate your reaction..

Robert

Ok. I listened to this in its entirety. I had never heard of Gorecki before, so I'm happy to be introduced to a new (to me) composer! This symphony is so impressive. He captures not only sorrow in that first movement, but all kinds of sorrow. There are moments that I felt were accurate musical depictions of the greatest tragedy that I have so far experienced in life. Other moments captured a more subdued feeling of resignation - the kind that builds up after a long time. It's been a really long time since I listened to an entire symphony. I listen to film music all the time, and I forgot how complete a piece of music can feel when the composer doesn't have to hit specific cues or fit the music to a specific time frame. That's more of a comment on classical music in general, the 1st mvt of this symphony is a perfect example that. It has such a wonderfully thought-out structure to. I liked the journey it took me on, and I liked how it came back around to where it started at the end. I like the second half of the 2nd mvt quite a bit. I also quite liked the 3rd mvt. I reminded me a bit of Wojciech Kilar. One of my favorite things about this symphony was how each movement ended. I thought they all ended very well. The endings were slow, quite, and the 2nd and 3rd mvt.s ended almost delicately, I thought. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation! My horizons are broader now than they were this morning.

Chris
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2016
    great this is a good work
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2016
    Hello dear friends,

I liked your response to my enthusiastic feeling concerning Gorecki's 3th symphony (which is indeed a masterpiece that delivers emotions of sorrow but also hope in the power of and the belief in the divine)
    But there are other great works that deserve special attention : every music-liver knows "Le sacre du Printemps" by I. Stravinsky (the first performance in Paris in 1913 was a real scandal; now it is considered as a break-trough and a mile-stone in modern classical music). I adore this work for his daring use of dissonances and the abundant presence of percussion-instruments, and also for the beautiful melodic lines. But the real reason for this comment is a version of this work PLAYED BY 5 PIANO's (executed by a family of 3 sisters and two brothers : THE BROWNS : you will not believe your ears after hearing this very special performance : just SUBLIME : you can order this magnificent CD via 2013 ARKIVMUSIC LCC or via their website : www.the5browns.com. Just buy it and you will see (and hear).....what I mean.
    Enjoy.

Robert
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    Sorry for the mistake : it must be "music-lover" and not "liver".

Robert
  3. I played Gorecki's 3rd with my orchestra a few years back and was not really able to warm to it. It's quite minimalistic and I've never really quite been able to achieve the (for lack of a better word) "zen" state I think you need to be able to fully connect with minimalism (where you're able to just let it wash over you). It's all so slow and solemn, I just get ants in my pants after a while. We more recently played his flute concerto and I had a similar reaction - I can appreciate the vision, but it's just not for me. It doesn't help that both those pieces are quite tedious to play on the cello. tongue

I can definitely see where Gorecki was an influence on Kilar, though. Kilar's "Requiem Father Kolbe" definitely feels quite Gorecki-like to me (we played that recently as well, actually - our conductor went through a bit of a "Polish phase" for a while there!). I'm not that big a fan of "Kolbe" either, but I found it a little more accessible than the Gorecki.
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    I must say that I don't completely agree with you for I find the music of Gorecki not really minimalistic in the way of the compositions of Steve Reich and Philip Glass. I suggest you listen to the 2nd symphony of the Polish composer (called Copernicus) or his "Beatus Vir". It is true that from time to time I also find moments where Gorecki touches the "link" with minimalism but compared with the great masters of this music-form he is still miles away.
    About the other item I mentioned in my previous mail (Le Sacre du Printemps by Stravinsky) I challenge everyone who is ready to buy this very special interpretation to listen to it and to let me know the - for me - overwhelming sensation of 5 pîano's playing together leaving the audience - at the end - with their mouth open.....

Robert
  4. Well, I know I'm not using the term "minimalistic" in its strictest musicological sense, so perhaps "minimal" would have been a better choice. Very slow, very repetitive, built around an extremely limited set of ideas, that's what I mean.

I much prefer Stravinsky to Gorecki, although it's been absolutely ages since I listened to The Rite of Spring (last time I watched Fantasia, probably tongue ). He's challenging but I find his music much more active and engaging.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I am intrigued by the recording you're talking about and will investigate further.
  5. Robert wrote
    But the real reason for this comment is a version of this work PLAYED BY 5 PIANO's (executed by a family of 3 sisters and two brothers : THE BROWNS : you will not believe your ears after hearing this very special performance : just SUBLIME : you can order this magnificent CD via 2013 ARKIVMUSIC LCC or via their website : www.the5browns.com. Just buy it and you will see (and hear).....what I mean.
    Enjoy.

Robert

The 5 Browns! Ha! I didn't realize their notoriety had spread so far. When I first learned about them they were just local celebrities. They lived about an hour to the south of where I grew up, and would put on concerts in and around my home town. They're amazing. I'm glad they are apparently much more well known than I realized smile.

I do have one gripe about the 5 Browns, though. When one great pianist is playing and they sway all over the bench very dramatically it's not too terrible, but when you have five amazing pianists all swaying around while they play, it really highlights how ridiculous that whole swaying shtick is. I can assure you - and my 24.9 years of playing the piano qualify me to say this - no swaying is required to play the piano well.

But they are amazing smile
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016
    I can't judge what they are doing on stage while playing for I have only the CD with the 5 piano-version of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring but what I hear confirms my opinion that they are great artists. It is not obvious to convert such a difficult score into an interpretation for an ensemble of 5 individual instruments. It must have taken them a lot of time to arrive to a real cohesion.

Robert
  6. No doubt! They are incredibly talented.
  7. Robert wrote
    I must say that I don't completely agree with you for I find the music of Gorecki not really minimalistic in the way of the compositions of Steve Reich and Philip Glass. I suggest you listen to the 2nd symphony of the Polish composer (called Copernicus) or his "Beatus Vir". It is true that from time to time I also find moments where Gorecki touches the "link" with minimalism but compared with the great masters of this music-form he is still miles away.
    About the other item I mentioned in my previous mail (Le Sacre du Printemps by Stravinsky) I challenge everyone who is ready to buy this very special interpretation to listen to it and to let me know the - for me - overwhelming sensation of 5 pîano's playing together leaving the audience - at the end - with their mouth open.....

Robert

To be a bit of the devil's advocate here. Gorecki's music, along with John Tavener and Arvo Part, among others, is often counted as "religious minimalism", often connected to their personal faith (Gorecki was very Catholic, just like Kilar and Penderecki, John Tavener and Part went through so many faiths, I have no idea what they settled for eventually).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016 edited
    Robert wrote
    Hello,
    I'm Robert, the father of Gilles and Thomas,

My love for classical music is a real passion in my life : my interest goes from the Gregorian chant until the music of the 20th century but above all there is God among the composer's : J.S. BACH : what this genius has written is mental food for eternity.

Does this mean we have to nice to your kids now? uhm

wink

I rarely post in this corner of MainTitles but I do want to let you all know that I just discovered Mason Bates's really interesting concert work MOTHERSHIP, which is a refreshing take on orchestra meets electronics. The piece is modern yet has this airy, pastoral quality to it that I think classical purists and contemporary listeners will enjoy!

Have a listen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFh7LAFel4w

Here it is without improvisation!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IGFxx1gCX8

Great album by the way, which has a few more Bates pieces combining orchestra and electronics.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/mason-bat … 0002905713

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I listened to it with the Clear Creek High School Wind Ensemble https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr6pIWs2giU and found it good enough to listen to the entire work. They were sure a lot better than my high school orchestra. Dunno about the soloist's coming to the front of the stage to perform but perhaps there was a miking issue and it had to be done that way.
    Tom
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Robert wrote
    Hello,

My love for classical music is a real passion in my life : my interest goes from the Gregorian chant until the music of the 20th century but above all there is God among the composer's : J.S. BACH : what this genius has written is mental food for eternity.

-Erik-

Please Erik, insult me as much as you want. As long as it's justified wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Robert wrote
    Hello,

-Erik-

Please Erik, insult me as much as you want. As long as it's justified wink

Yeah, like your review is missing one vital star or the cue 'Jenny' is not marked as being excellent because it most definitely is excellent. In other words an opinion which is completely wrong.

C'mon you know you want to... smile

And I already got my share when I wasn't enthusiastic about a certain recent blockbuster score. shame

Sorry for going off-topic on this most serious topic of maintitles.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Is this the start of a war?????
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Is this the start of a war?????

Yes Tom, A Family At War

any excuse to get a bit of RVW in there cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016
    The disparity between the quality of the music and its recording could hardly be more stark. Still, everything is made better with RVW.
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016
    What's going on here : let's try to be polite and reasonable. This is not the way civilized people discuss with each other.

Robert