• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2016
    I could make a new topic for this I guess, but whatever.

I'm looking for some "songs similar to..." suggestions. My possibly all-time favorite track is McCreary's The Shape of Things to Come. (And/or Violence and Variations.)

I think what I like about them is the steady, hypnotic style of layering and weaving between melodies. I am always looking for tracks that will have the same effect on me as those do. I was wondering if there's classical music out there in this realm that I've been missing? Any suggestions?
  1. Philip Glass and minimal music in general would seem like a sure bet?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Gorecki: Symphony No. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs)
    Kilar: Choral and Orchestral Works
    Philip Glass' Koyaanisqatsi

Love all these, hypnotic, layered, repetitive (in a good way)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016
    can't argue with those choices
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016 edited
    Didn't know which thread to put this in, but...

Today, I had my first 'test' broadcast as host of the Classical channel of NRK Radio (Norway's BBC Radio). Scary! So many technological challenges; this is "big boy" stuff -- a far cry from my whimsical webcast.

Lots of work that went into this 2-hour show (which MAYBE will air), and I'm still not quite finished. I count myself as slightly above-average knowledgeable about classical music, but I was surprised (and slightly disappointed) by how much research I had to do for each individual piece.

Oh well, it's a learning process. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick up some tips, so that I can discuss with you more knowledgeable classical folks at MT -- like Tom, Timmer etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2016
    If I can be of any help just pick away.

Good luck Thunderer. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A topic that I can talk about!

If you give me a list of what you might be playing I could help you with that. Also I can point out some interesting things you could play that might open up the ears of your listeners. Anything I can do let me know.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, thank you. Don't be surprised if I use this thread as a resource on occasion.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. If I told my dad he should register here and talk about his favorite and only style of music, this could likely become the busiest thread of the forum. But as the activitity here is just right for me (not as high as certain members would want it), I probably won't. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016
    Your dad and my dad could talk forever. Well, while my dad has thousands of classical LPs and CD's and calls himself a classical buff, I've never really heard him "nerd out" about it. He's never been very good with names, recordings etc. He just likes to listen on his High End HiFi system (which he DOES know a lot about).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Our father is also a big computer illeterate. He finds his way to check his e-mail and other sites he frequently visits daily, but a forum like this, I don't know. Maybe I'll let him know and try to explain it to him how this works. That it's definitely not a chat-site. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Don't you think the Glorieux family is well represented already? wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'd love to promote the talking of classical music. Let's get the Dad's involved!!!

Tom
  5. Thor wrote
    Don't you think the Glorieux family is well represented already? wink

Hell no ! Someone else in the family should fill the gap with Thomas now doing more important things with his life.

Maybe I'll try and talk him about it. I'm sure he will find plenty to talk about with Tom. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Where is Thomas btw?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Where is Thomas btw?

Same old story....girlfriend, house, work, maybe children on the way? All these young ones are getting established, all of a sudden.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    Hello,
    I'm Robert, the father of Gilles and Thomas,

My love for classical music is a real passion in my life : my interest goes from the Gregorian chant until the music of the 20th century but above all there is God among the composer's : J.S. BACH : what this genius has written is mental food for eternity.
  6. Hey there, dad! wave

Enjoy your stay here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2016 edited
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Where is Thomas btw?

Same old story....girlfriend, house, work, maybe children on the way? All these young ones are getting established, all of a sudden.

He's very much ok, just not as active as before. He's living life mostly off-line if you catch my drift.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...

Hello, Robert. Nice seeing you again. Still remember the visit to your house with Bregt a few years ago, where you served me beer.

I'm impressed your son convinced you to join.

Looking forward to seeing you share your knowledge about classical music when you get the time.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I explained a bit in general how a forum works and he should learn as he goes.
  8. Robert wrote
    Hello,

My love for classical music is a real passion in my life : my interest goes from the Gregorian chant until the music of the 20th century but above all there is God among the composer's : J.S. BACH : what this genius has written is mental food for eternity.

Welcome, sir! And well said. Bach is probably my favorite "classical" composer, even though he was baroque. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Welcome aboard!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016
    Robert wrote
    Hello,

Welcome Robert!!!! It will be so nice to have someone to talk to about classical music. I've collected material now for nearly 60 years. Retired, I likely spend 3-4 hours daily listening. I really don't have a favorite composer. Currently I'm listening to a new RR recording of the Pathetique which might just be my favorite recording now, replacing the Abbado recording from some years. Will be curious to have your opinion of the work.
    Tom
  9. Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Where is Thomas btw?

WTF? crazy

I'm 2 days absent here and I'm already married with children smile
    Excuse me for not being a daily participant here wink

Apart from the girlfriend and the house, nothing changed so far. smile
    so I'm still busy with music and you guys smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  10. sdtom wrote
    Robert wrote
    Hello,

Welcome Robert!!!! It will be so nice to have someone to talk to about classical music. I've collected material now for nearly 60 years. Retired, I likely spend 3-4 hours daily listening. I really don't have a favorite composer. Currently I'm listening to a new RR recording of the Pathetique which might just be my favorite recording now, replacing the Abbado recording from some years. Will be curious to have your opinion of the work.
    Tom

Tom, I have a feeling you will hit it off very nicely with my dad

Pa, welcome on board wave
  11. Thor wrote
    He, he...

Hello, Robert. Nice seeing you again. Still remember the visit to your house with Bregt a few years ago, where you served me beer.

I'm impressed your son convinced you to join.

Looking forward to seeing you share your knowledge about classical music when you get the time.

oh he has time alright wink
    Ps, that was indeed a good evening those many years ago. If I'm not mistaken my father spoke some solid Norwegian (if that's how you call it) wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Welcome Robert beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

WTF? crazy

THOMAS! bounce There you are! Finally!
    We missed you so! cry

wink

And welcome Thomas/Gilles' Dad! wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorRobert
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2016 edited
    Hello Thor and Tom,

What a pleasure to hear from you.
    And yes, I'm thrilled to share my knowledge with you both. The territory of Classical Music is so vast and divers.
    I'm curious to know which composer(s) you like : here is a - selected - list of my favourites : BACH, BEETHOVEN, BRAHMS, MOZART, MAHLER, STRAVINSKY, TCHAISKOVSKY, SHOSTAKOVICH, DEBUSSY, RAVEL, MONTEVERDI, BARTOK, BRITTEN, STRAUSS, Richard, and hundred of others...
    But there are also music -makers who I avoid : WAGNER, LISZT and CHOPIN : their music leave me behind with a feeling of emptiness (perhaps not completely for Chopin).
    So this was my first comment : I'm eager to read your response..
    Until soon.

Robert