• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2014
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote
    TH:TBOTFA Howard Shore

Again. Really enjoying this one!

Which version? TH:TBOTFA(SE) or TH:TBOTFA(SE)?

Neither. The SE.*

*Steven Edition
  1. John Chambers wrote
    Steven wrote

I've only listened to it once so far and more stood out upon first listen than did initially with the previous two but after how wonderful 'The Lord of the Rings' were these have been my biggest ever film score disappointments.

What everyone has missed though is answering another particular question: where does "Thrain" fit in the The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (SE) set?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. This came up on FSM Alan, there's a track list here: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … 746#bottom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Steven wrote

Which version? TH:TBOTFA(SE) or TH:TBOTFA(SE)?

Cease your rubber daggers fools! sleep
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. John Chambers wrote
    This came up on FSM Alan, there's a track list here: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … 746#bottom

Cheers John.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. John Williams - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

It's funny how a recent film score can get you in an interesting mode of revisiting films AND scores connected to a certain theme.

Interstellar made me watch two classics, one space-related (Contact) and one metaphysical masterpiece - The Double Life of Veronique (finally!). This actually led me also to pursue my wish to revisit some Spielberg.

After having a conference paper on Saving Private Ryan, I noticed that Spielberg is a master of what filmmakers call blocking. Basically it's the film set version of staging, but involving (stronger than in the case of theatre) set design and adding camera to the mix. I started to really observe the way the actors move in his films. My birthday (I threw a small nice party on the Saturday after my birthday) was the opportunity to get the massive set called Ultimate Edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind (which I've seen for the first time in AGES), featuring all three editions of the film and many, many other extra features (a special interview with Spielberg, the DVD Making Of documentary... and a making of made in the 1970s). There's some other stuff I haven't explored (storyboards, trailers and stuff like that).

My website for some weird reasons doesn't have Close Encounters reviewed, so I basically informed my co-editors that I'm doing this one this week (I'm almost done with the introduction), but analyzing that score led me to explore some more Williams: E.T. (the complete edition which I own, I know the preference to the re-recording here, but I have this thing that if I really love the score, I want it to have it as complete as I can, partly in case of Williams due to his impeccable sense of structure) and revisit the movie (which ages amazingly, the story is not as saccharine as it is generally seen today, because it starts from quite dark place and by that I don't mean just ET's loneliness, but also Elliott's loneliness, harkening at Spielberg's own biography). Then the original Star Wars.

So... I'll go with the whole trilogy after listening to the first score yesterday (I could say a lot about how the popularity of Star Wars and Indiana Jones made many people forget how dark a composer he's been in the 1970s and how actually rooted in Silver Age he was). Empire Strikes Back is obviously amazing and all has been said about this score. But I'm so glad I got to revisit this series and later I'll do the same with Indiana Jones, I think, just because Williams is so good.

With all the love for John Williams, which is understandable, I think Williams can be severely misunderstood by film score listeners. On this board I probably don't have to explain that. But the lecture in Golden Age scoring techniques that Star Wars and Indy give make people forget Williams' Silver Age roots and that really his genius as a composer comes from combining both. Williams can say whatever he wants about synchronization points (I don't know if he seriously thinks that scoring a picture is purely about timing or he is just simply overly modest, which I know he is from many interviews). What he does is taking the leitmotif technique and actually using it in a Silver Age way, where themes are more connected to the storyline's subtext than scoring the action directly, which he ALSO does amazingly.

There is a major, really major and generally loved Williams score (for a quite maligned Spielberg film) that is so popular, but I've never been really much convinced by it, even if I return to it once a year to check if my opinion about it changed. I didn't, I hasten to add, check out the expansion (now sold out), because I'm not convinced by the original. I'll keep it to myself for now, but feel free to guess. No, it's not Jurassic Park. There I just don't like the album sequence and I guess next time I'll just toy with it by reprogramming the playlist smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Based on those clues Pawel I don't think it could be anything other than Hook - right?
  6. Yeah, exactly. I've been trying for ages. I actually hated it at my first listen.

I actually hated Conan the Barbarian at my first listen (the Milan release) then the Varese convinced me otherwise. I ended up blaming it purely on Mako's introductory monologue.
  7. Big Hero 6 - Henry Jackman

This sounds exactly as I expected it to, namely Wreck-it Ralph lite. The Powellish orchestral writing, the upbeat electronics, the retro tone...it's all here, all entirely predictable. Unfortunately, what doesn't carry over is memorability. There's an almost total lack of "hooks" to this score, somehow. I mean, I can tell there's a heroic theme in there somewhere, but it's so forgettable. A cue like "First Flight", which otherwise goes through all the motions of an album highlight, comes across as some sort of heroic-theme ambience minus the theme itself.

That said, it's still a fairly enjoyable score. Jackman knows how to orchestrate better than most RC composers (a trait which you can glimpse at times even in his very worst scores), with good woodwind parts scattered throughout. The electronics are a bit jarring at times but are generally used well. The pick of the score is probably the lengthy "Big Hero 6" action cue, which is a little unfocused, but reasonably dynamic. But if Jackman is really meant to be some sort of replacement Powell at some point down the line, he's going to have to step it up in terms of memorability.
  8. As in case of Captain America (yes, I'm not that hateful of that score as the rest of the world seems to be), my favorite bit of it is the piano cue at the end (I also loved the piano cue at the end of the Captain America *film*, I'd say that giving such a low-key resolution to such a film is today a quite brave move, but there seems to be a newish trend to do such resolutions low-key recently, I loved the Let Her Go cue in TASM 2 in film).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The New World - Horner

So beautiful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2014
    Southall wrote
    The New World - Horner

So beautiful.

Plays like a chill out, new age album but without the wetness.

If I'm making sense?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. NP: Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast - Joel McNeely

Wow, this is really good! Wonderfully entertaining orchestral score - all that you'd expect from McNeely.
  10. Dragonslayer Alex North

I understand why this polarises people but I think it's absolutely terrific!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Geoff Knorr

I'm afraid I don't see what all the fuss is about this one. It's mildly entertaining, but I don't see how this can be considered the best of the year? I haven't listened to what the other composers have to offer to be fair, so maybe it gets better?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think it's GREAT!
    Maybe they turned the Epic scale to eleven a bit too often (and yeah, the ambient cues don't do anything), but for the rest it's massively (emphasis on massive) entertaining!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. NP: The Black Hole (1979) - John Barry

Even so it's a Disney production, Max Reinhardt and Maximilian didn't have to sing a love duet. Hence it's a fine score with an outstanding main theme.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like the main theme, but the score is very irritating in the film. John Barry and sci-fi do not go well together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...I see the faint silhouette of Timmer appearing over the horizon with what looks to be a weapon of some sort.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    ...I see the faint silhouette of Timmer appearing over the horizon with what looks to be a weapon of some sort.

I've not decided between a wet piece of toast or a fly swatter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    John Chambers wrote
    Dragonslayer Alex North

I understand why this polarises people but I think it's absolutely terrific!

Yes it is.

Steven wrote
    Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Geoff Knorr

I'm afraid I don't see what all the fuss is about this one. It's mildly entertaining, but I don't see how this can be considered the best of the year? I haven't listened to what the other composers have to offer to be fair, so maybe it gets better?

Can't please every one. IMO, it's magnificent!

NP: Predator 2 (The Deluxe Edition) - Alan Silvestri

shocked

Start to finish... this one is SUBLIME! Great release, Varese!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    I like the main theme, but the score is very irritating in the film. John Barry and sci-fi do not go well together.

Don't know if anyone's seen the Red Letter Media review of Disney's The Black Hole recently but Mike had unkind words to say about the film (fair enough) but says it has "one of the worst scores in the history of the world! Extremely repetitive!" I just shook my head.
  12. I love the score and the film in a very naive nostalgia driven way. The film obviously has some flaws but for me that accounts for much of its charme. On the plus side there is a great cast, the core of the story is intriguing and there are great effects, great production design, overall great visuals.
    As for the score: Yes that march is a bit simple it is used too often, but there are many great cues in this score, it is very effective in context and the main theme is among the best Barry has ever written.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote

Don't know if anyone's seen the Red Letter Media review of Disney's The Black Hole recently but Mike had unkind words to say about the film (fair enough) but says it has "one of the worst scores in the history of the world! Extremely repetitive!" I just shook my head.

I saw that biggrin (I love Half in the Bag). I agree with him. Although he did unfairly represent JNH in a review of Nightcrawler, citing the worst films he's worked on.

....also, you watch Half in the Bag!? Good lord we should hang out. (But let's not mention John Barry.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The Perfect Storm

Yes please

This perfect score. Its complete form is worth the effort in my opinion. Fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote
    Steven wrote

I saw that biggrin (I love Half in the Bag). I agree with him. Although he did unfairly represent JNH in a review of Nightcrawler, citing the worst films he's worked on.

....also, you watch Half in the Bag!? Good lord we should hang out. (But let's not mention John Barry.)

I really do enjoy the reviews and other crazy stuff at Red Letter Media. Just silly fun.
    I'm coming to England next September so we can hang out then! wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Peggy Sue Got Married - John Barry

Gorgeous
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I've not decided between a wet piece of toast or a fly swatter.

I've thrown the lethal weapons away.

This'll do nicely instead
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    I love the score and the film in a very naive nostalgia driven way. The film obviously has some flaws but for me that accounts for much of its charme. On the plus side there is a great cast, the core of the story is intriguing and there are great effects, great production design, overall great visuals.
    As for the score: Yes that march is a bit simple it is used too often, but there are many great cues in this score, it is very effective in context and the main theme is among the best Barry has ever written.

Volker

Just check out Anthony Perkins death. Nothing Disney about that! It isn't a great film but it's also not that bad. I agree with you on the superb casting, production design and effects which were top dollar at the time. John Barry's score to this isn't a favourite of mine though Intrada's release revealed a wealth of excellent material that really elevated it for me personally, I think it's a fantastic sci-fi score that perfectly fits this film. The main title theme I do find wearing as a CD listen and the Overture is obvious studio execs saying we want a "Star Wars" theme, and it is totally out of place ( even if I think it's good ), before Intrada's complete release I had Barry's The Black Hole score very low down on my favourites of his, now I rate it very highly.