• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Two new interesting Quartet Records releases:

CRAZY PEOPLE
    Music Composed and Conducted by Cliff Eidelman
    Limited Edition of 1.000 units

Quartet Records, in collaboration with Paramount Pictures, is glad to present the world premiere release of Cliff Eidelman’s delicious original score for the Tony Bill comedy released in 1990, starring Dudley Moore and Daryl Hannah.
    Emory Leeson (Moore) is an advertising executive who experiences a nervous breakdown. He designs a series of "truthful" advertisements, blunt and bawdy and of no use to his boss’ firm. One of his colleagues checks him into a psychiatric hospital. Emory goes into group therapy where he meets other patients, such as the lovely and vulnerable Kathy Burgess (Hannah).
    By mistake, Emory's advertisements get printed and turn out to be a tremendous success. They include campaigns like: “Jaguar—for men who'd like hand-jobs from beautiful women they hardly know,” and "Volvo—they're boxy but they're good.” Emory is approached in the sanitarium about creating new ads. He insists that his fellow mental patients also be involved and suitably rewarded for their work, transforming the sanitarium into a branch of the advertising industry.
    This was one of the first movies scored by the great Cliff Eidelman (Triumph of the Spirit, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, Magdalene, Christopher Columbus: The Discovery), who provided a highly addictive score for full orchestra: descriptive, romantic, funny… with winks to George Gershwin. Twenty-three years after its recording, it deserves to be released!
    The album contains the complete original score plus several alternate bonus tracks—all sourced from the original session DATs stored in the Paramount vaults. The package includes a 20-page full color booklet beautifully illustrated with film stills and several “crazy advertisements” from the movie. Daniel Schweiger provides his usual thorough liner notes—including an interview with the composer. So be warned: Crazy People are coming!

This release are available now on pre-order. The CDs will ship next Friday 26th.
    For more info and listen audio samples, please visit www.quartetrecords.com

DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK?
    Music Composed by Pino Donaggio
    Conducted by Natale Massara
    Limited Edition of 500 units

At last!. Quartet Records and Cinevox are proud to present the CD premiere of Pino Donaggio's terrific Hitchcock homage to Dario Argento's television movie - Do You Like Hitchcock?

Giulio is a film student obsessed with German and Soviet cinema, but his passion for the films of Hitchcock will take him to the site of a grisly murder. Obsessed with his beautiful neighbor Sasha, Giulio is distraught to learn that the girl's mother was slain in a gruesome murder that would fit in a Hitchcock thriller. Knowing that Sasha didn't like her overprotective mother and she had just seen Strangers on a Train, our hero deducts that she made a switch and had someone else commit the murder - but this also means she will kill someone in return. Giulio launches a Vertigo inspired investigation on the streets of Turin and is shocked to learn that he was wrong - it was another Hitchcock film that inspired the plot! Can you guess which one?

Filled with dozens of references to Rear Window, Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, Vertigo and even Marnie, Dario Argento's foray into television is a nice exercise from the giallo maestro, exercising his skills while paying homage to his favorite director. Pino Donaggio's score (his third for the director) is an exciting blend of Herrmann-inspired suspense and contemporary electronics, interspersed with seductive siren-like vocals for scenes of voyeurism. Performed by the Bulgarian Symphony Orchestra and conducted by Natale Massara, Donaggio's music for Do You Like Hitchcock? is one of the best television scores to come out in recent years - it's a shame it hasn't been released earlier.

The CD includes the entire score, including Donaggio's unused tribute to Vertigo called "Homage to Hitchcock". Carefully mastered by Claudio Fuiano, the package includes liner notes by Gergely Hubai, who offer an introduction to the film and the score with comments from the composer - and including a track-by-track narrative discussion that will lead you to the end of the mysterious case!

This release are available now on pre-order. The CDs will ship next Friday 26th.
    For more info and listen audio samples, please visit www.quartetrecords.com
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. In the thread over at FSM on these new releases, here is an exchange between a user and Quartet, which lets you know of another upcoming release:

Quartet Records:
    easily one of my grails!!!
    Thank you so much!!
    Hopefully DELIRIOUS is coming in near future too.

Yes, DELIRIOUS is coming next September/October.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Posted yesterday at FSM by Kritzerland:

100 or less left of "The Rains of Ranchipur".
  4. OVer at FSM they are reporting the founder of Beat Records has passed away:
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

They just had new releases a few days ago (probably listed a page or two back in this thread). I don't know if this means the label is done for. I had no idea the label was by a film composer. Aside from this, Sonic Images, and McCreary's recent label, I can't name another that's by a film composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013
    HOWE Records by Howard Shore?
    MN Records by Michael Nyman?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2013 edited
    JOS records by John Scott.
    Aleph Records by Lalo Schifrin.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. MIM - Mark Isham Music by...umm...can't remember who.
  6. BobdH wrote
    HOWE Records by Howard Shore?
    MN Records by Michael Nyman?

I didn't know about those.

Martijn wrote
    JOS records by John Scott.
    Aleph Records by Lalo Schifrin.

Great scott! I forgot about Scott's label.

Do any of these labels cater to other composers regularly aside from themselves? As I recall Aleph did one Dirty Harry sequel score by Fielding.
  7. Is JOS Records a "proper" label? It is not just a promo label?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is JOS Records a "proper" label?

Jay verily!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Posted today at Intrada by Roger over the Safan promo Perserverance is giving away with orders:

Guys, I know you are good upstanding citizens and would not be interested in supporting a business that is not on the level. I don't usually discuss upcoming projects, as you know, but I have spent considerable amount of time unraveling some legal tangles on Craig Safan's MISSION OF THE SHARK and finally got clearance from all interested parties last week -- just in time to see Perseverance scooped out three tracks and put them on a promo that is unlicensed. This will not impact our project because we intend to release the entire score paired with another Safan score, but I am really frustrated to see this complete disregard for the rules when I worked pretty hard to get this one cleared.

To which LLLR made their second post on the Intrada forum by adding this -- which further clears up from PR didn't release "Charmed" as earlier planned:

He tried to pull a fast one with CHARMED earlier this year while we were in negotiations with CBS on the damn project. Luckily we stopped the release in its tracks before his bootleg copy got out there.

Fight the good fight, Roger!

MV

(thread: http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic … amp;t=5686)
  9. New from Beat Records for July:

A lot to paste, so I'm just linking to rhw FSM thread.
  10. justin boggan wrote
    Posted today at Intrada by Roger over the Safan promo Perserverance is giving away with orders:

Guys, I know you are good upstanding citizens and would not be interested in supporting a business that is not on the level. I don't usually discuss upcoming projects, as you know, but I have spent considerable amount of time unraveling some legal tangles on Craig Safan's MISSION OF THE SHARK and finally got clearance from all interested parties last week -- just in time to see Perseverance scooped out three tracks and put them on a promo that is unlicensed. This will not impact our project because we intend to release the entire score paired with another Safan score, but I am really frustrated to see this complete disregard for the rules when I worked pretty hard to get this one cleared.

To which LLLR made their second post on the Intrada forum by adding this -- which further clears up from PR didn't release "Charmed" as earlier planned:

He tried to pull a fast one with CHARMED earlier this year while we were in negotiations with CBS on the damn project. Luckily we stopped the release in its tracks before his bootleg copy got out there.

Fight the good fight, Roger!

MV

Really sick of the labels airing their "dirty laundry" on the Internets. I know they are trying to warn us about bad CDs, but after reading the Intrada and FSM thread I still have no clue who is right or wrong in this situation. Plus, those doing the attacking just sound like Apple....and I don't like Apple (but if I were given a free Apple product I'd gladly take it! biggrin ).
  11. Only a few days away from mentioning Howe Records and low & behold, a new release from the label:
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/07/27 … oundtrack/
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2013
    For those who are into film compilation CD's the Royal Philharmonic has released a 3 CD set with 50 tracks, mostly newer films.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  12. New from Kritzerland:
  13. DISCONTINUATION ALERT

On August 12, the following will go OOP at Intrada (if they don't sell out before then):

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - VOL. 1 (Stu Phillips)
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6865/.f

THE FORGOTTEN (Laurence Rosenthal)
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8154/.f
  14. Two new releases from Quartet Records, including a Delerue:
  15. New release of an score on some people's grail list's, a 2CD set:
  16. justin boggan wrote
    New release of an score on some people's grail list's, a 2CD set:

Unbelievable! Yesss, a grail if ever there was one! Thanks for the alert!!

There are two recordings, the original sessions and re-recordings for the LP. I have two tracks on some sampler. I'm not sure though if these are from the LP or yet another recording. Gould used a wind machine for sound effects.

Great tidings!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2013
    Crikey. I never even heard of it! shame
  17. Fewer than 99 left of Kritzerland's "PREMINGER AT FOX" release.
  18. Update from LLLR's on their Facebook:

Upcoming Retail release schedule:

While our Limited Edition line of cd's is unpredictable, we can usually rely on our retail releases since they need to be close the films release date, video games debut, or television premiere.

So, here is a heads up on some great new titles we have coming out via retail channels in the next few months

August 13 (on website and in stores same day)

KICK ASS 2 - fantastic original score by Henry Jackman and Matthew Margeson. This rip roarin' score expands upon the themes of the first film and makes for a deeper and richer listening experience. (I'll be honest with you, this is my favorite score this summer. I can't get enough of it!)

August 27 (on website. Sept 10 in stores)

JOBS - score by John Debney. This a an emotional and inspiring score akin to Debney's work on PASSION OF THE CHRIST and DRAGONFLY. Really powerful stuff.

OCTOBER 8 (on website. Oct 15 in stores)

GRIMM - we are very excited to be working with NBC UNIVERSAL on the soundtrack for the hit tv series scored by Richard Marvin (U571, Six Feet Under). The soundtrack will be out just in time for the series 3rd season debut on October 25.

That's it for now regarding our upcoming slate of regular retail releases. Be sure to always check our facebook page for information regarding ALL of our upcoming releases.
  19. Update today from Quartet (over at the FSM forum) on "Do You Like Hitchcock?" (Dinaggio):

LESS THAN 70 UNITS.
  20. The next Kritzerland is a re-issue of an Intrada title that sold out very quickly:

"The Miracle Worker" (Lawrence Rosenthal)

It's slightly expanded:

It is one of my all-time most beloved scores and I am thrilled to get it out in the world again. We have done some work via Chris Malone on the sound - the previous release (and the promo release) had a reverby spread to it that is not the way the music appears in the film - kind of a faux stereo spread - we've removed that and the result is it's more tightly focused, sound-wise - the studio had a nice ambience that, for me, was plenty of room ambience. There were a few things missing from the previous release. One we couldn't save, but it was short, but the two we were able to save (removing effects, as we did on A Place in the Sun) are wonderful - one is the film version of the last half of the final cue, which differs a bit from what Rosenthal originally recorded for that cue. I'm just thrilled to have it out again, and I hope there were enough who missed the VERY quick sell out who'll want it, and I, of course, will make it known to the film's many fans, none of whom probably even knew this was out before due to the quick sell out to film score fans.
  21. Update today from LLLR's on their upcoming "I, Jury" (Conti) release (over at the FSM forums):

Finalizing the publishing right now. Should be out in Sept some time

MV
  22. VERY LOW QUANTITIES ALERT

Update just now from Music Box over at the FSM forum:

DEUX HEURES MOINS LE QUART AVANT JÉSUS-CHRIST - SOLD OUT

Low quantity alert!

Roy Budd's MAMA DRACULA (2 copies remaining)
    Éric Demarsan's SIGNATURE (Less than 10 copies remaining)
    Georges Delerue's LE CONFORMISTE / LA PETITE FILLE EN VELOURS BLEU (Less than 100 copies remaining)
  23. Thanks to an astute FSM member, we know an upcoming Silvestri release:

I just finished reading Daniel Schweiger's liner notes for Clean Slate/Perez Family and at the very end, where is some information about the author, one can see the following: "His liner notes have included Alan Silvestri's Eraser, Mac and Me, and Overboard".
  24. The Superman box is back in stock at SAE.
  25. Windjammer - The Voyage of the Christian Radich

Martijn wrote
    Crikey. I never even heard of it! shame

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2122493184/ … f_=tt_ov_i

This lavish documentary, featuring the Voyage of the Norvegian (Thor, do you copy?) sail training ship Christian Radich from Oslo to New York, in 1958 was a technological marvel in its time.

The film was shot in Cinemiracle/Cinerama widescree. A system superior to Panavision with rigard to the visual quality but inferior due to the complexity of the process.

The film was shot with three synchronized cameras. When copied to Panavision you will see two vertical lines.

In Germany the film was shown in only one place at Grugahalle, Essen. One hall was furnished with what was then the biggest curved screen in Europe. Along with the three-camera system came a 7 channel stereophonic sound system.

Visuals and sound made for a spacial impression completly anheard of in 1958.

My 26 year old father, who lived in neighbouring Bochum at the time, saw the film in Essen. He sais that people literally became sea sick when they regarded the ship as it was buffeted by the waves.

Film enthusiasts travled long ways to see that film. It ran for one year and had two reruns in later years.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.