• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008
    I hear it, but I don't mind. It's not a direct lift, but it's probably influenced by it. Works great, and I love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    I hear it, but I don't mind. It's not a direct lift, but it's probably influenced by it. Works great, and I love it!

Same here. It's rather fun to me though (ranging from this up to even ridiculous) to observe how people pick up (in)direct influences like that whilst at the same time they completely override clear-cut lifts from already existing film scores (both melodically and also harmonic structure-wise) merely based on one single criteria: who is the composer "copying".
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    Um, what album would this be from?

Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Same here. It's rather fun to me though (ranging from this up to even ridiculous) to observe how people pick up (in)direct influences like that whilst at the same time they completely override clear-cut lifts from already existing film scores (both melodically and also harmonic structure-wise) merely based on one single criteria: who is the composer "copying".
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I keep hoping this thread will actually have news about a new Zimmer score....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008
    Scribe wrote
    I keep hoping this thread will actually have news about a new Zimmer score....

Oh trust me.....this thread will be very popular (and FAR more interesting than the useless and tiresome "Zimmer copied this or that") once "The Dark Knight" and "Kung-Fu Panda" are released (both films and scores).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! cry

And the Simon and Garfunkel reference was not indirect.

-Eri
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. I listened to the Black Hawk Down track that had the hints of Simon and Garfunkel and you can hear the beginnings of their melody if you specifically listen out for it - or you are familiar with their song in the first place (and who isn't?). But it's only the first 3-4 notes that are the same then it veers off into something else. The tempo of the Zimmer cue being the same as the S&G melody doesn't help differentiating between the two.

But I'd struggle to accuse Zimmer of "lifting" S&G's melody just on those 3-4 notes and the tempo...or am I missing something even more obvious later in the cue? I only listened to the first 10-15 seconds.

I suppose you could accuse John Barry lifting the first few notes (3?, "Gold - fin-ger")of the song "Goldfinger" from Henry Mancini's "Moon River" (Breakfast At Tiffany's). But there's enough difference between the two in terms of instrumentation, etc to make them quite different and original.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    I hear it too. sad
    Sorry.

It's there for at least the first half of the theme; then it takes a bit an other bow. Again (!!!) a dream crashed.

It's 100% there!

Anyone familiar with the song would have to be cloth eared not to hear it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote
    I hear it too. sad
    Sorry.

It's there for at least the first half of the theme; then it takes a bit an other bow. Again (!!!) a dream crashed.

It's 100% there!

Anyone familiar with the song would have to be cloth eared not to hear it.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH! What he said! biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Unlike something like that LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN ripoff of 'Sing! Sing! Sing!' or all the references in THIN RED LINE, I think the BLACK HAWK DOWN one was probably not intentional. Not to sound like James Horner or anything, but once a composer heads off in a specific direction - in particular here with the folk-like intervals and steps - there is a positive probability he's going to replicate something he's heard before in the same vein, often without realising it.

And usually when Zimmer deliberately references something else - Morricone (BROKEN ARROW, AT WORLD'S END), Louis Prima (LEAGUE), Rodrigo (MORE MUSIC FROM GLADIATOR), Arvo Part, a Christian hymn (both THIN RED LINE), Wagner ('Liebestod' in HANNIBAL), Nino Rota (Fellini scores in MATCHSTICK MEN) - he does so for a reason. There will tend to be a connection to the story at hand. There's no particular reason for Simon and Garfunkle's Scarlborough Fair to appear in BLACK HAWK DOWN, so I reckon it's an unintentional. That being said, the similarity is there, and what's the easier notion to believe: (i) that Hans independently conjured up the same melody; or that (ii) thought it up, not realising he was actually remembering it? Given this is the guy who apparently didn't notice he was referencing Holst's 'Mars' in GLADIATOR (which he clearly is), I'd say the latter's looking pretty likely.

Mind you, there are other influences on the piece too. Strip away the melody, bagpipes and the snare drum, and is the piece really that different from 'Tennessee', which he'd just written for PEARL HARBOR?

BTW, I notice noone has brought up 'Roslin and Adama' from McCreary's BATTLESTAR GALACTIA scores...?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I listened to the Black Hawk Down track that had the hints of Simon and Garfunkel and you can hear the beginnings of their melody if you specifically listen out for it - or you are familiar with their song in the first place (and who isn't?). But it's only the first 3-4 notes that are the same then it veers off into something else.

THANK YOU! kiss
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    All I could think of when I heard that track was Scarboro Fair. And that was before anyone else mentioned it. It's pretty blatant to me, though I accept Franz's reasoning for it probably being subconcious / a coincidence.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    All I could think of when I heard that track was Scarboro Fair. And that was before anyone else mentioned it. It's pretty blatant to me, though I accept Franz's reasoning for it probably being subconcious / a coincidence.

While recording it was everyone involved too scared to tell Hans he'd ripped Scarborough Fair? spin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Perhaps they were too busy eating parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

Liberally sprinkled on Hans German sausage.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Isn't that a bit rude?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Isn't that a bit rude?

Totally innocent! Wash your mouth out with soap sir! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Soundtrack release:

The Dark Knight
    Label: Warner
    Release date: July 1st

-> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017I1FP8/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thomas wrote
    Soundtrack release:

The Dark Knight

vomit wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thomas wrote
    Soundtrack release:

The Dark Knight

vomit wink

-Erik-

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thomas wrote
    Soundtrack release:

The Dark Knight

Looking forward to it! beer
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    vomit wink

Vomit in the eye is a horrible experience! He should have stood further back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2008
    I'm guessing that the run time will be about 55-60 minute. And please, have real track time this time around, PLEASE!!!!!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Yeah, they're bound to have run out of Latin bat names by this time.

And does anyone know where the score was recorded? Was it London again, or in L.A.?
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote

And does anyone know where the score was recorded? Was it London again, or in L.A.?

LA on Zimmer's keyboard.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    How many players were hired for the DK score?

... or were you kidding with the "LA on Zimmer's keyboard" comment? slant
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote

LA on Zimmer's keyboard.

-Erik-

LOL biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    July first... a little long wait but I guess it's not that bad biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Matt C wrote

London, but I don't think it's already recorded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Does anyone remember the improvement between Dead Man's chest and At world's End?

shocked