• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    Looking forward to seeing the film. Howard's a very odd choice to direct it - hope he pulls it off. Could be a nice opportunity for Zimmer, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Heard it's pretty organic, and primarily orchestral. Cello / piano driven and small-scale.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Heard it's pretty organic, and primarily orchestral. Cello / piano driven and small-scale.

OOOoooh, I love it when Hans goes small scale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here, some of my favorite Z works came through such approaches.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Varese Sarabande.... GREAT!

biggrin Uh? Marselus?
  1. indeed Frost/Nixon could indeed be the project to give the Zimmer bashers the stuff nessecary to change their mind, although we know that is never going to happen sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    indeed Frost/Nixon could indeed be the project to give the Zimmer bashers the stuff nessecary to change their mind, although we know that is never going to happen sad

Indeed, that´s not gonna happen (not that I specially care about though). But with Frost/Nixon we´ll forget Madagascar 2, that´s for sure.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The one Zimmer track from Madagascar 2 on the album is a fun track, as is Zooster's Breakout on the first album. It's a very catchy, uplifting tune - one of my favourites from Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    The one Zimmer track from Madagascar 2 on the album is a fun track, as is Zooster's Breakout on the first album. It's a very catchy, uplifting tune - one of my favourites from Zimmer.

Yeah the first track is really good, but the rest is forgettable and plain bad.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008
    Wait, does this mean his additional composers did the rest?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    The Madagascar 2 soundtrack is not a good representation of the music that is actually used in the movie. According to somebody who has already seen the movie there's more. It's not surprising since this album is not a score only release and should also target Will.i.am fans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Just got The Weather Man boot. Haven't listened to it yet. What are the thoughts on this score?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    Just got The Weather Man boot. Haven't listened to it yet. What are the thoughts on this score?

I like it, after having watched the film. Esoteric and gloomy, emotional in parts and small-scale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    In the middle of it right now. Wow, it's really esoteric and small-scale. Might take several listens to pick out melodies and themes, if any.

Right now I'm in "Tartar Sauce", seemingly the only loud and fast-paced track on the whole thing... Yeah so far this score is so-so, but like I said, repeated listenings always help.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008
    Academy disqualifies 'Dark' score
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117995767.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&nid=2564

By JON BURLINGAME

The score for "The Dark Knight" has been disqualified by the executive committee of the Academy music branch.

Formal letters to that effect are expected to go out this week to composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, who collaborated on the music.

Their previous collaboration, on "Batman Begins," was similarly disqualified in 2005.

Sources inside the committee said that the big issue was the fact that five names were listed as composers on the music cue sheet, the official studio document that specifies every piece of music (along with its duration and copyright owner) in the film.

Zimmer said, in an interview with Variety prior to this week's Acad action, that listing multiple names on the cue sheet was a way of financially rewarding parts of the music team who helped make the overall work successful. (Performing-rights societies like ASCAP and BMI use the cue sheet to distribute royalties to composers.)

Zimmer, Howard and the other three individuals -- music editor Alex Gibson, ambient music designer Mel Wesson and composer Lorne Balfe -- reportedly signed an affidavit stating that the score was primarily the work of Zimmer and Howard.

That apparently wasn't enough for the majority of the committee, which was also supplied with documentation indicating that more than 60%, but less than 70%, of the score was credited to Zimmer and Howard.

The "Dark Knight" score -- and the whole issue of multiple-composer collaboration, which is on the rise in Hollywood these days -- has occupied about four hours of discussion over the past two executive committee meetings.

Some members sided with Zimmer and Howard; citing the originality and cutting-edge nature of the music, they urged others to keep the "Dark Knight" score eligible despite the cue-sheet issue.

Both Zimmer and Howard declined comment on the ruling. Both are seven-time nominees; Zimmer won for "The Lion King."

Discuss... I guess the best thing for them to do was to not have credited Gibson, Wesson and Balfe. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought Zimmer said he never wanted to be nominated again anyway? So I assume he doesn't mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    I thought Zimmer said he never wanted to be nominated again anyway? So I assume he doesn't mind.

Does it matter? If the score deserve to be nominated, then it should be. Sounds like they were too hell bent on being ridiculous. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    ...that listing multiple names on the cue sheet was a way of financially rewarding parts of the music team who helped make the overall work successful...

Pretty cool of James and Hans to do this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

Does it matter? If the score deserve to be nominated, then it should be. Sounds like they were too hell bent on being ridiculous. confused

It's a very well-known rule though, so it would have been very odd had this score been nominated, and as soon as Zimmer and Howard put the extra names on the cue sheets they would have known this would happen. Wasn't the rule introduced after The Last Emperor saw someone who only wrote a couple of minutes' music end up receiving an Oscar? They wanted to avoid that situation occurring, which seems fair enough to me. I can see the other argument though - that if the final music's good enough to be considered for nomination, then it should be, regardless of how it was created.

(Of course there's another debate about whether this score would deserve to be nominated anyway, but I guess that's better left alone.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    ...that listing multiple names on the cue sheet was a way of financially rewarding parts of the music team who helped make the overall work successful...

Pretty cool of James and Hans to do this.

Indeed. It would be as good if all the others that do it credited them as well.
    • CommentAuthordman
    I don't think it's a huge deal. As mentioned earlier, they probably knew what they were getting themselves into.

Besides, what were the chances that it'd get nominated anyway?
    There are some strong contenders this year...

I'm seeing Desplat and the two Newman scores as locks for noms this year now, but maybe that's just me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    dman wrote
    I'm seeing Desplat and the two Newman scores as locks for noms this year now, but maybe that's just me.

I hope you're not talking about Wall-E as one of the Newman scores. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    It's a very well-known rule though, so it would have been very odd had this score been nominated, and as soon as Zimmer and Howard put the extra names on the cue sheets they would have known this would happen. Wasn't the rule introduced after The Last Emperor saw someone who only wrote a couple of minutes' music end up receiving an Oscar? They wanted to avoid that situation occurring, which seems fair enough to me. I can see the other argument though - that if the final music's good enough to be considered for nomination, then it should be, regardless of how it was created.

(Of course there's another debate about whether this score deserve to be nominated anyway, but that's not the point.)

He he, I agree with everything you've said. The moment Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard both signed on to the movie, the resulting score was deemed ineligible since I think only one person is allowed to get the Oscar. Which makes it a lame rule, since they do allow multiple film producers to be nominated. But then, I'm not exactly sure about the AAMPAS rules anyway. Though, the article did state that they were considering bypassing the rule but in the end decided to follow it.

On a slightly off-topic note, if it was up to me, I would have nominated Jerry Goldsmith's score to Air Force One (for some reason, this score just popped up in my mind). It's awesome score that worked like gangbuster in a not-so-great movie.
  2. HeeroJF wrote

Here's what I think of it wink
    http://users.telenet.be/soundtrack-fm/R … er_man.htm
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Songs written by multiple songwriters are eligible (right?) but scores are not. Why? rolleyes
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. Composer and lyricist are npominated for songwriting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

Im sure Zimmer was smart enough to say first " i don't want to be nominated anymore" before academy disqualifies every of his score for his "list of credits".

dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    lp wrote
    On a slightly off-topic note, if it was up to me, I would have nominated Jerry Goldsmith's score to Air Force One (for some reason, this score just popped up in my mind). It's awesome score that worked like gangbuster in a not-so-great movie.

That, right there, guarantees a score like Air Force One will never get nominated. If the movie was not-so-great, then then only nomination it can ever hope to get is perhaps special effects or make-up. The category "best original score in a motion picture" is a sham. It should read "best original score in an Oscar-worthy motion picture". So many fantastic scores have been overlooked just because their respective movie wasn't exactly The English Patient. Whereas boring scores like, oh I don't know, The English Patient?, get undeserved attention.

(sorry to offend fans of The English Patient's score, but personally it does bore me greatly)
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    lp wrote

I like that movie. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote
    (sorry to offend fans of The English Patient's score, but personally it does bore me greatly)

It's ok. Elegant, refined music is not for everyone wink tongue