• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    Erik Woods wrote
    Matt C wrote
    I really don't see the love for Passion -- like LOTR, some incredible passages and overall well-written score but I just don't get the fuss and love over it.

Incredibly emotional and works brilliantly in the film.

Totally agree. Rarely do works of purely strong emotions, intense sentimental writing straight from one's heart and sweeping musical statements like PASSION OF THE CHRIST come along; extremely rarely.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Music For Stage and Screen - John Williams and Aaron Copland

But the real highlight is a magnificent eighteen and a half minute The Reivers suite featuring narration by Burgess Meredith. All the highlights from Williams delightful score is in this suite. The Boston Pops performance is spot on and Meredith's whimsical narration with his distinct voice is most welcomed.

Wish I could agree, but Burgess Meredith, wonderful actor that he is, just gets in the way of somebody else's show. I even find it hard to listen to THE REIVERS on its own now, because my first listens were all from this recording, and I just can't get that annoying narration to go away. The other three pieces are top stuff however.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Christodoulides wrote

Totally agree. Rarely do works of purely strong emotions, intense sentimental writing straight from one's heart and sweeping musical statements like PASSION OF THE CHRIST come along; extremely rarely.

Not to be cynical, Demetris, but don't you think EVERYTHING that stirs YOU is from the heart? But whose heart is that? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I wasn't talking about me, but the composer's side; what's purely evident in each and every note in POTC.
  3. *Don't* use that abbreviation for Debney's score, OK? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. TUOMAS KANTELINEN - The Ambush

Beautifully melancholic and somber, fragile string-driven work by Kantelinen which contains one of his best pieces ever: the heartbreaking "adagio".
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    I wasn't talking about me, but the composer's side; what's purely evident in each and every note in POTC.

Ah, but isn't it a bit of a coincidence that all the stuff you like just happens to come from the composer's heart, while the rest of us just have to put up with our favourite composers going through the motions? Maybe you were talking about you... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007 edited
    Well, not always. But on general lines yeah, i seem to be inclined towards passionate and honest works - no matter the different musical styles, instead of the weird phases some seem to go through.

I do have my fair share of odd stuff i really like and which the vast majority despises (who doesn't anyway? wink ) but i tend to be more patient with some composers and way stricter with others; the latter usually applies to the downdrafts coming from those who are superior in every aspect. This applies to my personal tastes and what i listen for my own pleasure and i try to keep it as objective as possible when i exteriorize an opinion that concerns others as well. There are a lot of examples of widely acceptable-good scores that I openly supported but rarely play at home, eventually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THOMAS NEWMAN - the good German

A very mature musical work that along the odd – but unmistakably Thomas Newman moments, contains several particularly strong passages such as the opening and closing titles and the violin solo-fronted pieces ("A Good Dose", "Always Something Worse", "Jedem Das Seine") which altogether highlight a work of dark beauty and past-times elegance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Heard last night: ALIEN - Jerry Goldsmith (disc 1)

Though I was at times craving for some melodic thematics, it did manage to keep my attention during the full duration. Moody, at times even scary, and opening with a wonderful sense of suspenseful mysterie (which the 2-note flute brilliantly conveys, though it remained disappointingly underdeveloped... Or am I missing something in this first listening experience?).

I love how the score opens romantic, and then strays into the unknown, with the menacing dark cello's hinting at what is to come. Though I do prefer Goldenthal's style of experimental atonal writing, it's nonetheless a captivating experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Can't wait to hear that score (here's hoping on Christmas day!).

Papillon | Jerry Goldsmith

Ooh, that theme! cool
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote

Nah! Sith is magnificent. And if it's so over rated then wjhy did Debney base his "Diviner Battle" almost entirely on Battle of the Heroes.

Sith brings back bad memories of the film. That said I liked "Duel of the Fates" and the theme for General Grievous, but the rest didn't capture my attention. But since you're an avid Williams lover, I'll let it slide. But stop it with the SW prequel love. I'm just one of the very few people who just doesn't get the love for certain scores (*cough*1998 Godzilla*cough) -- this is just one of them. It's fine if you love it, just stop jumping over me every time I say something.

As for the "Diviner's Theme" and the main theme, I think Debney had a mild attack of following-the-temp-track syndrome. Then again, there's a small possibility he did come up with the main theme without realizing it was similar to the Kronos motif in The Incredibles. But let's just move on.

Oh and James S., make sure to check out Lair. It's wonderful. Just ignore what Erik is saying and buy it off iTunes if you can.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Wars prequel love? Bah. Hate the films... love the scores. (Especially the first complete score and the third complete score.)

Lair is awesome, but I can understand how it's derisiveness could put some people off. I, like Erik, knows exactly how derivative it is, and it's fun to poke fun at it... but I still love it. And so does he I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Matt C wrote

Debney does incredible adventure scores -- I think Cutthroat Island is a bit over-the-top in places but it is an incredible score. Lair seems to hold it back and seems more well-balanced, not to mention it's just the right length. But they're just so good I think they might switch places sporadically.

Agree. Lair is more temathically rich, more balanced and with incredible solo performances.For me is far from Cuthroat Island (but it's another masterpiece , of course)

NP:ST: Nemesis

If you put aside the lazy use of the star trek theme in the last track, it has incredible action stuff, great use of the old themes, and great atmospheric passages.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PAYCHECK - John Powell

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : PAYCHECK - John Powell

cool

You got that right. punk

Small Soldiers | Jerry Goldsmith

Not a masterpiece, but damn enjoyable nonetheless.
  5. NP: Predator 2 - Alan Silvestri

punk

I've watched the film yesterday... and I was reminded what a great score that is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: Predator 2 - Alan Silvestri

punk

I've watched the film yesterday... and I was reminded what a great score that is.

And better than the original score.....but only on account of those blistering End Titles, amongst the best ever written.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. Harry Gregson-Williams - Spy Game

His most accesible and listenable action work and probably best, even if as a film score Man on Fire is a masterpiece. Great thematic materials, the best MV orchestrations in the time of conception of this score (aside from Zimmer himself), good electronic sounds, though as harsh as HGW can get. Great stuff. It's like revisiting an old friend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Matt C wrote
    Oh and James S., make sure to check out Lair. It's wonderful. Just ignore what Erik is saying and buy it off iTunes if you can.

Me? I do have it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Nah! Sith is magnificent. And if it's so over rated then wjhy did Debney base his "Diviner Battle" almost entirely on Battle of the Heroes.

Sith brings back bad memories of the film. That said I liked "Duel of the Fates" and the theme for General Grievous, but the rest didn't capture my attention. But since you're an avid Williams lover, I'll let it slide. But stop it with the SW prequel love. I'm just one of the very few people who just doesn't get the love for certain scores (*cough*1998 Godzilla*cough) -- this is just one of them. It's fine if you love it, just stop jumping over me every time I say something.

As for the "Diviner's Theme" and the main theme, I think Debney had a mild attack of following-the-temp-track syndrome. Then again, there's a small possibility he did come up with the main theme without realizing it was similar to the Kronos motif in The Incredibles. But let's just move on.

Oh Matt... don't be so over-dramatic. This is a discussion board and we are having a discussion. I think I'm allowed to disagree with your opinions especially when you attack scores that I personally love. I have every right to defend them as you have every right to called them overrated. Plus, when you write stuff like "I really don't see much resemblance between this score and The Incredibles" I thought that I'd point it out to you where there is a resemblance. So, don't post anything around here if you can't take the heat. I mean, was I jumping all over you when I volunteered information about Mercenaries and Mercenaries 2? Not one thank you from you... not that I'm looking for one... but I think I've been rather polite to you and have been more than happy answer your inquires.

As for Lair... I never EVER said that it was a terrible score not worth of purchasing. If you have ever read any of my comments about the score here or at scorereviews you will know that it is one of my favorite scores of the year even thought it's derivative as all hell. I mean, last night I said it was my third favorite film score. Did you not read that?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: The Golden Compass

I still can't stop listening to this, and it still keeps on getting better and better. Score of the year without question for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote

I still can't stop listening to this, and it still keeps on getting better and better. Score of the year without question for me.

Nah...It's At world's End And Suites (thing that you have to listen even from Illegal Mediums)

Also...Lair, Ratatouille....And yes, probably Golden compass. tongue

NP:ST: First Contact

A shame there no more music from Goldsmith.

It could be the most coherent score in the saga. With Klingons and friendship's theme much more used, a interesting motif for Borgs and the trascendental theme for the first contact.

"the dish" contains some dark and Sci-Fic music.
  7. There is a bootleg, Jordi smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There is a bootleg, Jordi smile

Yeap, But the sound quality is very poor. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

No its not. Unless you have something different.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Music For Stage and Screen - John Williams and Aaron Copland

But the real highlight is a magnificent eighteen and a half minute The Reivers suite featuring narration by Burgess Meredith. All the highlights from Williams delightful score is in this suite. The Boston Pops performance is spot on and Meredith's whimsical narration with his distinct voice is most welcomed.

Wish I could agree, but Burgess Meredith, wonderful actor that he is, just gets in the way of somebody else's show. I even find it hard to listen to THE REIVERS on its own now, because my first listens were all from this recording, and I just can't get that annoying narration to go away. The other three pieces are top stuff however.

Wow! That's shocking and quite unfortunate. Sorry that you had such a bad experience with the suite. Like I said, I think the narration is wonderful and actually adds to music. Sure, I would have love to hear the music on it's own but ny listen to the suite I think Willams constructed the concert suite around the narration.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

You know... if I gave Beowulf another shot I'm going to have to give this one another shot. I still have my doubts about it...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

-Erik-

How Many tracks your bootleg has?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

-Erik-

How Many tracks your bootleg has?

I have the recording sessions. Two discs worth.

-Erik-