• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007
    Agree with Erik, completely.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Agree with Demetris' agreeing with Erik, completely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2007 edited
    NP:Pirates of Caribbean: At world's End

My track list:

1-Hoist the colours
    2-Singapore
    3-At wit's End
    4-Multimple Jacks
    5-Up is Down
    6-I see dead people on boats
    7-Lord Cutler Becket
    8-Lord Pirate of singapore
    9-the bretchen Court
    10-The heart of davey Jones
    11-Parlay
    12-Calypso
    13-What shall we die For
    14-"I don't hink now is the best time"
    15-"Just good busines"
    16-One day
    17-Drink Up me HEarties
    18-Hoist the colours Suite
    19-Marry Me.

Running time: 97 minutes 5 seconds

Now it is Zimmer's mummy returns, Zimmer's Cuthroat Island, Zimmer's Sky Captain.

Im so happy...Really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Back To The Future Part III - Alan Silvestri

A dynamite sequel score. It managed to capture the spirit of the original while creating a brand new sound with brand new themes. Clara's new theme is introduced right off the bat during the main theme. A gorgeous little theme for strings and flute. The big new theme is the new western motif heard for the first time during "We're Out of Gas" while Doc and Marty sit on top of the Delorean while four (or is it six) horses try to pull the time machine up to 88 mph. A great theme that got an expanded work out during the Back To The Future Part II preview of Part III. The western homages are great. I always love generic western showdown music to build the suspense. And then the show stopper... "The Train" which is split up into 3 parts. Unfortunately, the arrangement of the Varese album splits these three cues up with one cue at the beginning of the album, one in the middle and one at the end. I HATE THIS. So, I've re-arranged the album, in iTunes, into a chronological listen which plays MUCH BETTER. Anyway, the steam engine rhythms of "The Train" cues (the percussion and low register piano) really get the blood pumping. The finale cue "Doc Returns" I think is the best finale from all three films. A perfect send off. And the end credits is one of Silvestri's finest.

This is an awesome score. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

-Erik-

Oh ya... BTTF III chronological order

01. Main Title
    06. Indians
    03. Hill Valley
    04. Hanging
    14. We're Out of Gas
    12. Doc to the Rescue
    05. At First Sight
    17. Doubleback
    13. Kiss
    10. Future Isn't Written
    07. Goodbye Clara
    15. Wake up Juice
    11. Showdown
    16. Science Experiment? (The Train, Pt. 1)
    02. It's Clara (The Train, Pt. 2)
    09. Point of No Return (The Train, Pt. 3)
    08. Doc Returns
    18. End Credits
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote

Yeap.Ironically the worst movie has the best score.

The main theme in his western version is highly addictive, and the end with Doc's "goodbye" and the flying train is really touching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Dood!

Dood! Dood!

The worst film? Best score? Holy Mary Mother of God! Part III is an outstanding movie. It easily beats Part II's been there done that story line... but I understand why they did it that way which was a pretty darn good idea. I just felt the second film dragged. But the third film is full of life and is something that I didn't expect when I heard they were going to do two sequels. The western throwback is a hoot, the Clint Eastwood joke are hilarious and the action sequences are top notch, while at the same time keeping that same sweet spirit which made the first an instance classic. It's such and original and fun film that I'm shocked that anyone could hate it!!! And then final The Train sequence... it's absolutely thrilling!!!

As for it being the best score... sorry dood... nothing beats the original.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Beowulf - Alan Silvestri

Gonna give this one more shot. I was looking for a big loud score with a great recording and this was the first one I thought of. I still don't like it that much because I was expecting much more from Silvestri for a Zemeckis film but maybe this will work better in the film.

EDIT: --> I will say this... "Second Grendel Attack" when played extremely loud is quite satisfying. Sure, it's derivative Silvestri action scoring but I like Silvestri's action scoring... so... the louder, the better!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Dood!

Dood! Dood!

The worst film? Best score? Holy Mary Mother of God! Part III is an outstanding movie. It easily beats Part II's been there done that story line... but I understand why they did it that way which was a pretty darn good idea. I just felt the second film dragged. But the third film is full of life and is something that I didn't expect when I heard they were going to do two sequels. The western throwback is a hoot, the Clint Eastwood joke are hilarious and the action sequences are top notch, while at the same time keeping that same sweet spirit which made the first an instance classic. It's such and original and fun film that I'm shocked that anyone could hate it!!! And then final The Train sequence... it's absolutely thrilling!!!

As for it being the best score... sorry dood... nothing beats the original.

-Erik-

First film and its score are the best film and score respectively.
    The first score is my favourite score, the third film is my favourite film.

Worst movie. Honestly Jordi... rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007 edited
    Steven wrote

it's not only me. Read Rotten tomatoes reviews.

I don't like westerns, and I find the movie boring and how use again the jokes from the 2 previous movies repetitive.

The First and the second movies are by far more fun, original and crazy.About the score, while the first one is amazing, I find the third is more rich in thems and orchestrations.

And seriously...I think this time you and Erik are in the wrong side. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007
    There is no wrong side. (Well, except your's.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    "i Don't think now is the best time" 7:19 to 7:45

the best inspired action cue of the decade.

I hope it is composed by Hans.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    (Well, except your's.)

then you are here, right now. moon
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Action cue of the decade! Please...

As for BTTF III --> I'm not on the wrong side whatsoever!!!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

it's not only me. Read Rotten tomatoes reviews.

I don't like westerns, and I find the movie boring and how use again the jokes from the 2 previous movies repetitive.

The First and the second movies are by far more fun, original and crazy.About the score, while the first one is amazing, I find the third is more rich in thems and orchestrations.

And seriously...I think this time you and Erik are in the wrong side. tongue

I must admit I quite enjoyed the third film. Probably more than the second. I agree that it's easily the best of the scores though. That western theme is really good fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I agree that it's easily the best of the scores though.

Bah! Go back to listening to Mission to Mars. tongue

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

-Erik-

tongue

NP:Vertigo (herrman)

Hitchkock is my favourite director. But Vertigo is so boringgggggggggggg....

Anyway, i like the score, And it's one of the most influential scores ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    I agree that it's easily the best of the scores though.

Bah! Go back to listening to Mission to Mars. tongue

-Erik-

I will! Once I've finished with The Golden Compass, anyway. (Which doesn't show any sign of happening soon.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Vertigo (herrman)

Hitchkock is my favourite director. But Vertigo is so boringgggggggggggg....

It's the crack, right Jordi?

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Mercenaries - Chris Tilton - theme by Michael Giacchino

I can say I don't like Dan Wallin's remix of the score (nothing new here.) Steve Smith's original recording was more open and the score breathed. While there are some details that do come through thanks to Wallin... for instance being able to really hear the strings clearly, the pan of brass, horns and percussion to the centre is far too clustered and sounds like a muddy mess.

PS - Merc 2 kicks ass!!!

Care to provide comparison mp3's of Dan Wallin's remix to Steve Smith's original mix? If you can, I'd like to hear them.

And is Mercenaries 2 available on CD? I hope it's not a digital download only...
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Mercenaries - Chris Tilton - theme by Michael Giacchino

I can say I don't like Dan Wallin's remix of the score (nothing new here.) Steve Smith's original recording was more open and the score breathed. While there are some details that do come through thanks to Wallin... for instance being able to really hear the strings clearly, the pan of brass, horns and percussion to the centre is far too clustered and sounds like a muddy mess.

PS - Merc 2 kicks ass!!!

Care to provide comparison mp3's of Dan Wallin's remix to Steve Smith's original mix? If you can, I'd like to hear them.

And is Mercenaries 2 available on CD? I hope it's not a digital download only...

I had three original raw tracks but unfortunately I don't have them anymore. sad

As for Merc 2... it's not available yet. It will most liekly be a digital download only. I thought I'd tease you guys with it. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Well, since La La Land Records released the previous score on CD, maybe LLL will do the same for the sequel score. It also depends if the sequel score is performed by the Northwest Sinfonia or by a L.A. session orchestra (the latter might enforce the digital download only).

NP: Lair (John Debney)

Finally installed iTunes today and that was the first digital download I picked up. I would still like to get a CD release for this score, but for the time being, the digital download has nice sound quality (and is cheaper). And after listening to it entirely, the score is certainly Debney's BEST score to date -- even besting Cutthroat Island and Passion. And I think James might be forced to admit that this score would fit perfectly with a big-budget fantasy adventure film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2007 edited
    Matt C wrote
    Well, since La La Land Records released the previous score on CD, maybe LLL will do the same for the sequel score. It also depends if the sequel score is performed by the Northwest Sinfonia or by a L.A. session orchestra (the latter might enforce the digital download only).

It was recorded in Seattle.

Matt C wrote
    And after listening to it entirely, the score is certainly Debney's BEST score to date -- even besting Cutthroat Island and Passion.

Nope and nope! The score, while excellent, is far too derivative of other scores... Sith, Total Recall, The Incredibles (or Terror Tract), and various other scores. But Lair is my third favorite Debney score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    I thought Lair was much better than the muchly overrated Sith (the most overrated score of 2005), and I really don't see much resemblance between this score and The Incredibles (maybe in some of the brass sections). I really don't see the love for Passion -- like LOTR, some incredible passages and overall well-written score but I just don't get the fuss and love over it.

Debney does incredible adventure scores -- I think Cutthroat Island is a bit over-the-top in places but it is an incredible score. Lair seems to hold it back and seems more well-balanced, not to mention it's just the right length. But they're just so good I think they might switch places sporadically.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Music For Stage and Screen - John Williams and Aaron Copland

This is a wonderful Boston Pops album featuring the music of Aaron Copland (The Red Pony and Quiet City for Strings, Trumpet and English Horn) and John Williams (Born of the Fourth of July and The Reivers)

I've decided to concentrate on the John Williams pieces. The Born of the Fourth of July suite is superb. We get three cues; "Theme" - "Cua Viet River, Vietnam 1968" - "Massapequa...The Early Days" Tim Morrison's trumpet solos are masterfully performed. His distinct sound is unmistakable. But the real highlight is a magnificent eighteen and a half minute The Reivers suite featuring narration by Burgess Meredith. All the highlights from Williams delightful score is in this suite. The Boston Pops performance is spot on and Meredith's whimsical narration with his distinct voice is most welcomed.

A great album!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    I thought Lair was much better than the muchly overrated Sith (the most overrated score of 2005),

Nah! Sith is magnificent. And if it's so over rated then wjhy did Debney base his "Diviner Battle" almost entirely on Battle of the Heroes.

Matt C wrote
    I really don't see much resemblance between this score and The Incredibles (maybe in some of the brass sections).

The theme is Kronos' theme (melody) from The Incredibles. Or it's the main theme from Terror Tract.

Matt C wrote
    I really don't see the love for Passion -- like LOTR, some incredible passages and overall well-written score but I just don't get the fuss and love over it.

Incredibly emotional and works brilliantly in the film.

Matt C wrote
    I think Cutthroat Island is a bit over-the-top in places but it is an incredible score.

Dood... it's a epic pirate film. Of course it's going to be over the top. That's what I love about it. Debney went all out and created a swashbuckling score of the likes that we haven't heard for decades!!! There is so much restraint in film music these days which is why year after year scores are getting worse and worse, far more generic and less interesting. Give me more CutThroat, Sky Captain, Star Wars, etc.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: first listen to Charlie Wilson's War - James Newton Howard

At last. This is more like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Martijn wrote
    The Hunt For Red October - Basil Poledouris
    Basil, we miss ye... sad

Weird... Friday I was looking all over for this disc, because I really felt like playing it!
    I'm pretty sure it was because of the winter wonderland. Snow and cold always gets me in the mood for The Hunt For Red October. Unfortunately I couldn't find it yet...

Right now I'm torturing myself again with Peter's clips! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    NP: first listen to Charlie Wilson's War - James Newton Howard

At last. This is more like it.

My, this is a strong album indeed. But "Turning the tide"... what's this ripped off from?
  1. NP: THE GOLDEN COMPASS (Desplat)

The big arena action music in 'Ragnar Sturlusson' is one of my favourite film music moments of the year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    NP My father and my son - Reboutsika

Forgot again how great it is. I love it.