• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. You like some Apocalypse to your Christmas Eve? biggrin

I wouldn't feel it to be so scandalous though tongue I still believe it's far from the best in the year... Except one track.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007
    PawelStroinski wrote
    You like some Apocalypse to your Christmas Eve? biggrin

Just a little bit tongue

Ok ok, we won´t argue again about AVP2 / Brian Tyler, it´s Christmas after all biggrin
    But seriously, if I think of action (musically speaking), is AVP2 what comes first to my mind. But hey, at least you like one track (I assume it´s "Decimation Proclamation"....which makes me wonder, there´s somebody that does not enjoy this particluar cue?).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Probably Horner, Goldsmith and Goldenthal don't biggrin

Anyway, to say it aloud I don't think I am particularly biased against Tyler, at least no more biased than the general opinion in Poland goes. I just don't see the fuss about this guy. Or to rephrase, if he didn't work in the industry, there wouldn't be much difference than it is today. His assignments would go either to Badelt/Rabin (Fast and Furious, Annapolis, maybe Greatest Game), Beltrami (AVP: R, The Hunted), John Powell (War). Not sure where would Timeline go, probably Goldsmith would get Beltrami to do it (his favorite student in his last years). Children of Dune would be complicated to guess. I just have a very big grudge against calling him one of the best working today, because I can name other composers I strongly prefer, partly because they have either a stronger voice, either orchestrate better or just write better themes. In case of the latter two I would name, e.g. Debney. Though, he is older.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Probably Horner, Goldsmith and Goldenthal don't biggrin

Touché wink

I just don't see the fuss about this guy. Or to rephrase, if he didn't work in the industry, there wouldn't be much difference than it is today.

Come on, give Tyler a break! This is a bit unfair, dontcha think? I DO think he is a talented composer, it´s plain and simply that you haven´t (already wink ) clicked with him kiss

I just have a very big grudge against calling him one of the best working today, because I can name other composers I strongly prefer, partly because they have either a stronger voice, either orchestrate better or just write better themes

Ok, but this statement is a pure matter of taste. Is true that Tyler´s orchestrations and themes are, well, very Tylerish, and this will always be like that I´m afraid. But this is his own voice, which is obvious you don´t like. I, for instance, am not very fond on Goldenthal´s music, even if I can say he is a talented composer. But don´t look for me in the "Goldenthal" label in the cd store wink
  3. NP: The Nativity Story (Danna)

Merry Christmas to all!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  4. Marselus wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Probably Horner, Goldsmith and Goldenthal don't biggrin

Touché wink

I just don't see the fuss about this guy. Or to rephrase, if he didn't work in the industry, there wouldn't be much difference than it is today.

Come on, give Tyler a break! This is a bit unfair, dontcha think? I DO think he is a talented composer, it´s plain and simply that you haven´t (already wink ) clicked with him kiss

I just have a very big grudge against calling him one of the best working today, because I can name other composers I strongly prefer, partly because they have either a stronger voice, either orchestrate better or just write better themes

Ok, but this statement is a pure matter of taste. Is true that Tyler´s orchestrations and themes are, well, very Tylerish, and this will always be like that I´m afraid. But this is his own voice, which is obvious you don´t like. I, for instance, am not very fond on Goldenthal´s music, even if I can say he is a talented composer. But don´t look for me in the "Goldenthal" label in the cd store wink

OK, I was unfair about the guy having almost completely no talent, though reworking temp-track really isn't demanding. I do see a pretty fair reason to state that he may like doing that though. I believe it's even in what Demetris was saying about him.

Having moderate talent doesn't mean that he does as much there as, say, Giacchino. That's the grudge I have. Giacchino IS the return of orchestral, old-fashioned (in a good way, I am a fan of Golden Age and I am not against that sound, but there is a bad way to be old-fashioned). He's got enough to write a simple theme (often written for four chords and sometimes I find them rather Zimmerish, but that's another thing - chords, not themes), arrange for an orchestra. You guys tend to call Tyler one of the best guys working today and that's my problem with him, because I can really talk about guys like Mansell and don't go on about Sahara (Yes, Dodd orchestrated it), I'd wonder how many composers would be capable of doing something like The Fountain. Different genre? OK. But let's go somewhere different.

Let's take Aliens vs Predator. Aggressive, fully orchestral, Decimation Proclamation, etc. OK. Let's take the Decimation Proclamation piece. The string figure sounds like Zimmer to me, but let's not go into particular moments, I would catch a lot of reference, with the 7/8 bit being Goldsmithian, but screaming Rambo rather than Alien. There is a moment which I thought was very Tylerish. One score later I noticed it's Silvestri's Predator. Another thing to come. Fast and Furious. Cool thing, but hell, it sounds like Rabin with bigger ensemble. Annapolis sounds like Horner and Zimmer with even a typical Horner rhythm. Children of Dune's best pieces - Summon the Worms and Inama Mushif, sound like Goldsmith and Zimmer (Now We Are Free) respectively.

Now temp-track love. It has been done here a lot. But one question. Can't he LIKE it actually? Why? Because he's a fan. Never took that as a possibility? Tyler loves his homages. I think he admits that himself. You never put in a weak track in temp-track unless you are a f*cking idiot. Goldsmith, Horner and Silvestri? YEAH! Goldenthal? Even more. Legends of the Fall is regarded as one of Horner's best themes. Making a homage to it? Can it be bad? Yes and no. At once. It's great Tyler is a fan. He is a human being, gets a personality and a good one in our, fans', book. You could talk to Tyler about those references and he'd maybe call it subtle. But they're not always so subtle. Let's go further.

I've had such an obsession with looking for a style. The composer was Michael Giacchino, partly this is the reason behind my constant comparisons. Medal of Honor - amazing score, but I couldn't find his style there. That was the reason behind me hating Underground after my first listen (yes, Erik, I did hate MoH: Underground at my first listen). Frontline was much better. Then came The Incredibles. And I've heard Barry. OK, he's great technically, but where is Giacchino... And there comes Lost. Which, as ironic as it may be with such title, gives me the answers. I found his voice there. I loved Lost, then I was disappointed by M:I-3 (in fact I finished my first listen few months ago), then came Ratatouille, MoH: Airborne... After amazing Airborne, I got back to the originals. Whereas "pure Giacchino" in first MoH I found only in a harp figure in the second piece, there was much more of it in Underground, where you had a whole Lost-like piece with his trademark tremolo sul ponticello cello parts, which sound so wonderfully, almost, metallic. Frontline had Lost-like warm string writing, which also sounds great in Ratatouille and, of course, Airborne. I got that style. It came to me immediately. Now, by percussive writing, by string sound, by piano writing, by theme - I will recognize a Michael Giacchino score. I can't say so much about Brian Tyler. I will tell you that an action piece was written by Marco Beltrami, though I don't like him much, but I wouldn't differ Tyler. There are too much of the influences. Tyler doesn't SUCK. He isn't just as good as people tend to say he is. Unless he writes something that isn't full of homages, but sounds purely like him (and I know everything was written before, Giacchino managed to branch out though into a very strong voice), I will state this thing always. He's no Steve Jablonsky or Geoff Zanelli. But he's no Giacchino either.

Demetris, can you talk to your bosses on the uni if they couldn't accept my Tyler rants as a some kind of thesis, because I tend to go into Ph. D. there biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2007 edited
    Here we go again rolleyes

Nobody will take your Tyler rants seriously mate, sorry to say tongue biggrin wink Not to mention that a talk with him will instantly sweep 'em all away wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I will recognize a Michael Giacchino score. I can't say so much about Brian Tyler. I will tell you that an action piece was written by Marco Beltrami, though I don't like him much, but I wouldn't differ Tyler. There are too much of the influences. Tyler doesn't SUCK. He isn't just as good as people tend to say he is. Unless he writes something that isn't full of homages, but sounds purely like him

Wow Pawel, your posts are elaborated and interesting, I give you that (even I won´t change my mind about Tyler, and I won´t change yours! angry wink ). But really, you can hear Tyler´s voice in ALL his works. Love for temp tracks? Yes, sometimes, and you´ve given some examples in previous posts, and we´ve all heard those through the years. But this is far from considdering him untalented and only a "temp-tracker" composer. One of the best composers today? Well, that would be an eternal discusison. For me, he is (even if there are composers today which I like much more). For you he isn´t, and you´ve given plenty of elaborated reasons which I obviously respect and read carefully (hey, you always learn from others opinions).
    Maybe someday (just remember how young Tyler is), just maybe, he´ll write something that "touches" you. It has happened to me with composers that I didn´t care about and now are among my favs (Patrick Doyle comes to mind).

Christodoulides wrote
    Not to mention that a talk with him will instantly sweep 'em all away

I didn´t go to the First Úbeda´s Conference, when Tyler came, but for the footage I´ve seen from that Congress, I have no doubt about what you say Demetris.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Here we go again rolleyes

Nobody will take your Tyler rants seriously mate, sorry to say tongue biggrin wink Not to mention that a talk with him will instantly sweep 'em all away wink

I wish I *could* have a talk with him regarding my concerns. He'd probably take offence for half of my arguments there, but what the hell, for the sake of discussion probably I would have to be a bit more harsh (and I'm not really as harsh as we , reviewers, tend to be in Poland) still and if he's the nice guy you say he is, he would be rather patient. I do think though that his references to temp-track may be something that he could treat as a homage to his masters. As I said, nobody intelligent would put, say, Axel F. as temp-track in a movie like Alien vs. Predator. If he loves film music, he may love his homages. There is also the possibility that instinct tells him to go with the temp-track no matter what the director really thinks, because of his previous experience. Then somebody would have to specifically *tell* him not to follow it very strongly, just see what does it have in common.

Doyle and me is something completely different, ironically. Only recently I started to listen to the man. With Wah-Wah and As You Like It. I had only one disappointment as of now.

Back to Tyler in the end. I really can't hear much Brian Tyler there. I may have a bias after listening to his temp-track influences, which are everywhere and remember what Southall has asked in the respective thread actually when I was ranting so much. Will he "touch" me? I'm not really sure. I respect his struggle to be organic. That's great that there is a guy who still wants to write for ensembles. The question is what he has to say. I can't find the answer. Probably if I had a candid talk to him, I would both learn a lot and see the guy, you see. I don't see a possibility to talk to him, though, maybe except one mean and Demetris knows what I'm talking about (not sure if I can mention it here). I must admit that seeing a photo of the score (now you know what I mean Demetris biggrin ) I saw made me see much more to AVP: R than I've heard. Can you tell me where is it heard on the album if it's heard there?
  6. Hans Zimmer - Crimson Tide

Enough said. Great thriller (thriller. not action) score, though Jeff Rona should never get an album compilation assignment again. 24 minute track of mostly underscore is something I barely survive, but the score (one of Zimmer's very best in-film scores) is worth it. The theme, decent orchestrations (better than his later fare sometimes, I won't go about King Arthur, but I'd say better than The Rock and, maybe sometimes, Peacemaker) and action music saves for the underscore at times. Oh, and the choral writing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: Pirates Of Caribbean At world's End Collectors Edition

Merry Christmas!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

One of THE great choral scores and with Christmas flavour cool

This one is from back in the days when choirs weren't dropped into the score at the cock of a hat and was much more powerful for it.

Barry's choral writing is brilliant and I regret that he never had more opportunities to employ that gift.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

Another great score with sublime choral writing and a 'religious' feel to the string writing that brings to mind one of my all time favourite works by Vaughan Williams, the Tallis Fantasia.

This is one of those rare scores that brings me out in goosebumps and sends shivers up and down my spine.

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Both amazing scores, Timmer!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Both amazing scores, Timmer!

Amen bro cool

NP : The Seduction of Suki and The Ballroom Scene from THE WITCHES OF EASTWICK - John Williams

Just enough time to play some favourite singular tracks before I head off to my girls folks for dinner. And this track is GORGEOUS! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    The Water Horse - James Newton Howard
    Just got it for Christmas. I heard it, downloaded, once before. The best way I can describe it is to call it a Celtic, Howard-ish version of Elfman's Black Beauty. Which is a VERY good thing!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:SpiderWick Chronicles (Horner)

The only reason why I feel atraction for this score it's because the nostalgic feeling to hear Horner and Fantasy again. No focus, no good theme (Even not any good rip off of some of his old themes) and it's very bland.It's nice for a background listening , but nothing more.

Horner really has lost his talent, and his tendency in use the same orchestrations and melodies are so annoying that really makes me wonder how anyone can hire this guy for score a movie.

If I can save something is the closing titles where the only "theme" appears, it's the classic and generic piano theme from Horner, but effective enough.

And a message for Mr.Horner : put aside this titanic-perfect storm-A beautiful Mind synth far from you!!!!!
  8. Where did you get THAT from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Spiderwick is available on iTunes already.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Bregt wrote
    Spiderwick is available on iTunes already.

Yeap. I know.

that's from where I got it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    NP: CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR - James Newton Howard: Turning the Tide

Just this one track, but it's already much better then anything he did for The Water Horse, it's wonderful! I love the male and female choir combined with the percussion! Too bad Bregt says it isn't all like this, or this quality of writing... or this could easily be another highlight by Newy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : AGNES OF GOD - Georges Delerue

Another great score with sublime choral writing and a 'religious' feel to the string writing that brings to mind one of my all time favourite works by Vaughan Williams, the Tallis Fantasia.

This is one of those rare scores that brings me out in goosebumps and sends shivers up and down my spine.

cool

Totally agree!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    BobdH wrote
    NP: CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR - James Newton Howard: Turning the Tide

Just this one track, but it's already much better then anything he did for The Water Horse, it's wonderful! I love the male and female choir combined with the percussion! Too bad Bregt says it isn't all like this, or this quality of writing... or this could easily be another highlight by Newy.

I thought that track actually was hilariously bad lol...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: It's a long Road Instrumental from First Blood.

I had the score for years, but it's hard to enjoy for my ears, so I never have heard this final track.

Absolutly amazing! the Rambo theme with guitar and with a short but impressive action motif in the middle!

this is without any doubt in the Goldsmith top 3 main themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Yes, it probably is. Which is why I can´t wait to hear what Tyler will make of it.

I grew up being a big fan of the Rambo scores. I was there when they were released, and I was deeply in love with the theme from First Blood already when part 2 came out. This one offered so many brilliant action cues that it was easily a score fanboy´s wet dream come true. I think I listened to part 2 a thousand times and more. When part 3 came out, I was in theatres on opening day, where I got my first listen of the new score. I was totally ignorant of the movie (though I remember enjoying it somewhat), I even remember closing my eyes once to concentrate on the music. Part 3 was another fantastic entry into an already fantastic score universe.

Although I love all three parts, I think Goldsmith delivered better work with every new entry. Rambo III was a fantastic masterpiece.

I use the music from the trilogy as the main theme for one of my RPG campaigns, to great success as you can imagine, and I´m really looking forward to Tyler´s version.

Nice to read you´re discovering such great treasures, again, Jordi. Sometimes I just envy you...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yes, it probably is. Which is why I can´t wait to hear what Tyler will make of it.

I grew up being a big fan of the Rambo scores. I was there when they were released, and I was deeply in love with the theme from First Blood already when part 2 came out. This one offered so many brilliant action cues that it was easily a score fanboy´s wet dream come true. I think I listened to part 2 a thousand times and more. When part 3 came out, I was in theatres on opening day, where I got my first listen of the new score. I was totally ignorant of the movie (though I remember enjoying it somewhat), I even remember closing my eyes once to concentrate on the music. Part 3 was another fantastic entry into an already fantastic score universe.

Although I love all three parts, I think Goldsmith delivered better work with every new entry. Rambo III was a fantastic masterpiece.

I use the music from the trilogy as the main theme for one of my RPG campaigns, to great success as you can imagine, and I´m really looking forward to Tyler´s version.

Nice to read you´re discovering such great treasures, again, Jordi. Sometimes I just envy you...

Well...Only the first one. I have heard Rambo for many years, I used to watch the main credits from the movie just because the music. How you said the second score is so heroic and the action stuff is so terrific that makes your mind blow away!

I love the third one too, but it's more thematic than the second one, but not so intense. And it's doesn't have the national Philarmonic orchestra.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

:Pat in total agreement:

In fact:

NP: First Blood, Pt. 2 — Jerry Goldsmith biggrin

My favorite passages from those scores are those reprising the theme heard at 1:25 min. in First Blood from, well, First Blood
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Spiderwick Chronicles (Horner)

Growing on me....But I still think Horner is annoying.

But I ennjoy this score because it's not a thematic one, so it works more like an dark, descriptive and atmospheric, wich at least makes not a sacharine score from Mr.Sugar. and How I said, the nostalgic feeling of the Willow's sound is present (specially in the agressive action writting)

I think it will fit very well with the images, But it's still a proof that Horner has lost his focus, his talent and his sense of scoring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Ralph Kruhm said it perfectly! I too lived and breathed each Rambo score as they came out. First time I heard First Blood on LP back in early 1983 I was totally blown away by every note! In 85 Rambo 2 was played at least once or twice a day for many months. 1988 was a bit rough in that the first Rambo 3 cd released contained only a few cues from Goldsmith's score and the rest of the tracks were rock songs.
    When Intrada released the full score version the following year I was back in Rambo heaven again!
    I seriously doubt that Tyler will come up with anything close to the powerhouse scores Goldsmith created but then he may surprise us all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I've never understood why people envy those on their first listens?

Scores - the truly great ones at the very least - get better with each listen... why would you want to start at the beginning again? confused

The Hunt For Red October | Basil Poledouris

Just watched the movie, and had to listen to the score. Excellent film, excellent score.