• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. EMULATOR, sorry, I used the wrong word. I have the emulator called DOSBox.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    DOSBox is a simulator?

Actually, DOSBox is an emulator. It serves as a virtual environment for running old DOS programs and offers them the old-skool output possibilities. Say, who of you remembers IRQ, DMA, etc settings for the sound in old games? Well, it offers exactly that; because those are no longer compatible with nowadays versions of Windows. Same thing with graphics.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  2. Yes, yes, I corrected my own mistake there smile
  3. Hey Martijn while you're checking out those LucasArts classics, be sure to give The Dig a try, it's not a comedic adventure like Monkey Island, but an incredibly atmospheric and captivating sci-fi trek into the unknown, set on a mysterious alien world. It's really quite brilliant, and has a gorgeous musical score and good dialogue / voice acting. It features Robert Patrick, when he was still hot because of T2. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    You think I don't know The Dig? wink

But it's not as high on my "to revisit" list as some others, though I might add it in a next foray into Steam, if it's as cheap as Last Crusade was.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn, what's Steam exactly?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited
    http://store.steampowered.com/about/

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art … ?p_faqid=6
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Thanks smile
  6. Steam is the download delivery platform Valve started using when Half-Life 2 was released (Q4 2004). In the beginning it was only used for making those games in that universe / from the developer (Counter-Strike, Half-Life and so on) available for purchase. Now it's easily the number one game purchase / delivery system. What's so great about it is your games are always auto-updated and if your files should become corrupt for any reason, the Steam software is able to correct the problem without having to download / reinstall everthing.

Martijn wrote
    You think I don't know The Dig? wink

But it's not as high on my "to revisit" list as some others, though I might add it in a next foray into Steam, if it's as cheap as Last Crusade was.

face-palm-mt shame
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    Which reminded me...

.....do we have anyone on this board suffering from this crap as well? I got 2 friends who skipped years at the uni 'cause of it (world of warcraft) Shame.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    Yes! A friend of mine is so addicted he took a week off work on the "sick".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. No online addictive behavior here. I do like RPGs, just not the paying kind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    Hey Martijn, I remember those news on MONKEY ISLAND too from a month ago or so. Awesome news!

I was - probably much like you - a Lucasarts junkie in the 90's (and in fact any adventure game from other companies too...GABRIEL KNIGHT, PHANTASMAGORIA, BLADE RUNNER, BROKEN SWORD, the various QUESTS, THE SEVENTH GUEST, THE RIPPER and so on and so forth - even those weird abstract ones like RIVEN and MYST), so I'm very much enjoying this revival or "nostalgia" trip these days. This is from a time when I - too - was into computer games. I'm not anymore. I think I phased out around the millennium turnover somewhere, when the games themselves were going out of fashion (in favour of 3D shootem-ups and stuff, which I have never - nor will I probably ever - like).

Anyways, this new MONKEY ISLAND installment may get me back in the game, literally speaking.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited
    I downloaded Battlefield 1943 two weeks ago for a mere 15 usd. (PS3 online store)... its a download game only, but what a great game it is. Very similar to the old school games, like Day of Defeat or Counterstrike. I play it daily. Banzai! (its Japan VS US war game) Recommended.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    I've just installed a golden oldie : The Thing .
    I bought it very cheaply some years ago and it was still waiting to be played and it was still in its original wrapping ! I'm a few levels in and it's a nice atmospheric game just like the movie which I'm a fan of ...
    Why haven't I installed this earlier ? rolleyes
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  8. Eric wrote
    I've just installed a golden oldie : The Thing .
    I bought it very cheaply some years ago and it was still waiting to be played and it was still in its original wrapping ! I'm a few levels in and it's a nice atmospheric game just like the movie which I'm a fan of ...
    Why haven't I installed this earlier ? rolleyes

If I remember correctly, that game had pretty good visual effects, and the atmosphere to keep reminding you of the game, I thought it was considered to be a pretty good game back then
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. I remember The Thing, a sort of sequel of the film, I played it for a time but then I got bored with it... The gripping atmosphere sure didn't last.

But this oldie sure remains gripping in every way:

System Shock 2

Frakin' brilliant IMO. 10 years old but what a complex game both design- and story-wise. If you ever wanted a totally immersive and addictive single-player RPG with a great storyline this is it. I never got around to playing it when it released, I was more into Doom and Quake at the time, you know, brainless (but fun) shooters. But this is only my second time going through the spaceship and its many alien-infested decks, dark-lit corridors and claustrophobic rooms. And the way you get sucked into the story and its evolving twists is only equalled by reading a great book or watching a classic film. The way you upgrade your character is solely up to the player, be it either a gung-ho mercenary, a flexible hacker or a user of psionics (magic if you will). This game has stood the test of time, thanks to its incredibly deep quality design and level of immersion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    I remember The Thing, a sort of sequel of the film, I played it for a time but then I got bored with it... The gripping atmosphere sure didn't last.

System Shock 2

Frakin' brilliant IMO.

Well , I'm at level 4 with The Thing and I'm still enjoying it ... wink

Gonna have a look at System Shock 2 . I know the game from name , but never played it ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    I remember The Thing, a sort of sequel of the film, I played it for a time but then I got bored with it... The gripping atmosphere sure didn't last.

System Shock 2

That's another one from my own past, so I have connection to it. That's the one where you run around corridors with all those red lights, right?

As I said earlier, it's not my type of game (I don't like 3D shootemups), but I remember watching a friend of mine play this. It actually wasn't so bad to watch someone ELSE play these games (like DOOM, DARK FORCES etc.), kinda like watching a movie. I just couldn't play them myself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Pinball beer
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm eager for the upcoming Batman: Arkham Asylum. Word has it the demo is awesome. Anybody checked it out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Do you have Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince games?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Not yet. But I disliked the previous (Order Of The Phoenix) game so I'm not sure if I'll buy it without trying out at some friend's place first. Have you played it? What's it like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    No not at all. But i like Lord of the Rings video game. Its really awesome. Do you have it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I played Shadows Of Angmar at a friend's house and LOVED it. Sadly my broadband connection isn't really that great so I tend to get a lot of lag while playing online. Will buy it when I can anyway though, the graphics are incredibly lifelike!
  10. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

System Shock 2

That's another one from my own past, so I have connection to it. That's the one where you run around corridors with all those red lights, right?

Urhm... you talkin' about SS2 or The Thing? SS2 is a first-person action RPG, not a straight forward shooter like Doom or something, it's incredibly more complicated both in design and what you as a player are expected to do. This is a game you need to use your head for. And it's atmosphere is second to none.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

System Shock 2

Urhm... you talkin' about SS2 or The Thing? SS2 is a first-person action RPG, not a straight forward shooter like Doom or something, it's incredibly more complicated both in design and what you as a player are expected to do. This is a game you need to use your head for. And it's atmosphere is second to none.

Yes, SYSTEM SHOCK 2. THE THING I can't remember.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sunil wrote
    Pinball beer

applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    Sunil wrote
    Pinball beer

I miss pinball. I don't think any pub in England has a pinball anymore. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    Hah! Pinball machines... great! I remember that I often went to the "friettent" (that a Dutch cafetaria where they sell all kinds of fries and stuff)... there they had a pinball machine, I think it was 'Gilligan's Island, and later the 'Adam's Family'. What happened that often my fries got cold because I got free balls all the time (several jackpots in a row... you know how it goes)... hahaha... pinball machines. Love them. Sometimes I just left because I played for one hour or more on one guilder only.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates