• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Ha I remember when I was totally addicted to RTS games, I had to play them all, especially the Westwood ones, then I moved onto actiongames and FPS's. If Company of Heroes had come out 5-10 years ago I would have been so into it. Right now I just cannot get myself to start the third faction on Red Alert 3, there's tons of other things to do.

But Anthony, 4 gigs of patches... Damn that's just wrong. And let me guess the game's total installation only counts for about half of that, right? What the hell was wrong with the original build they had to create patches of that size?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Another trailer for a totally wicked looking adventure game: The Last Guardian from the guys behind the totally brilliant and innovative ICO and Shadow of the Colossus games. Judging from what those two accomplished on a technical / artistic level, this one will wipe the floor with them.

And check out the background music, used to stunning effect. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Another trailer for a totally wicked looking adventure game: The Last Guardian from the guys behind the totally brilliant and innovative ICO and Shadow of the Colossus games. Judging from what those two accomplished on a technical / artistic level, this one will wipe the floor with them.

And check out the background music, used to stunning effect. cheesy

great, I guess I'll receive some trailers this weekend wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited
    SO, YOU WANNA BE A MIGHTY PIRATE? In the wake of Steven's astonished reaction that there was a Monkey Island 4, I remembered I wanted to share this little bit of good news.

Oh yes, folks. Forget your Black Pearl, kick your Barbosa to the curb: the one and only original Undead Pirate is once more haunting the seas around Melêe Island! The classis Lucasarts game Secret Of Monkey Island is getting a makeover and will start kicking monkeys around YOUR living room come this summer!

And that's not all.
    In a few weeks time we will see a BRAND NEW Monkey Island: TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND I!!!
    Made by all the same people who made the series a success, including returning composer MICHAEL LAND!
    Oh, and guess who's back as well smile?

:har:
    :grog:
    :three-headed monkey:
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2009 edited
    That is really good news. Looking forward to that.

Has anyone played prototype yet?
  4. Martijn wrote
    SO, YOU WANNA BE A MIGHTY PIRATE? In the wake of Steven's astonished reaction that there was a Monkey Island 4, I remembered I wanted to share this little bit of good news.

Oh yes, folks. Forget your Black Pearl, kick your Barbosa to the curb: the one and only original Undead Pirate is once more haunting the seas around Melêe Island! The classis Lucasarts game Secret Of Monkey Island is getting a makeover and will start kicking monkeys around YOUR living room come this summer!

And that's not all.
    In a few weeks time we will see a BRAND NEW Monkey Island: TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND I!!!
    Made by all the same people who made the series a success, including returning composer MICHAEL LAND!
    Oh, and guess who's back as well smile?

:har:
    :grog:
    :three-headed monkey:

Cool I only played parts 3 and 4 (where are the times?), but I agree there is some great comedic talent writing the jokes and events for these games.

And LeChuck? I hope he's still voiced by Earl Boen, he had the mean evil undead pirate spot on, accent and everything.

The music was also very good in those games, I love that theme from MI 3.

And here I was thinking Martijn had no knowledge about that other popular form of entertainment. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2009
    Anthony, have you finally started playing Company of Heroes?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Martijn wrote

ah Monkey Island, cool games, fitting music and lots of humour
    sometimes games don't have to be visually breathtaking at all smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009
    Call of Juarez - Bound in Blood

I enjoyed the first one, but I´m enjoying even more this second part. Graphically is much better, the feeling of being in a western movie is great (the music helps A LOT) and the shootouts with all those old weapons are superb. Highly recommended!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited
    That one is on my to play list as well.

Absolutely LOVE the first Call of Juarez, with its cool mix of FPS action and stealth / platforming. The whole Ray McCall (hunter) vs. Billy Candle (hunted) concept was amazingly well done. Best of all was the variety in gameplay and environments. And the shootouts were kickass. Only thing missing from this great western was a Morricone soundtrack, but the music was more than enough in creating that unique Far West atmosphere.

Can't wait to play Bound in Blood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    That one is on my to play list as well.

Absolutely LOVE the first Call of Juarez, with its cool mix of FPS action and stealth / platforming. The whole Ray McCall (hunter) vs. Billy Candle (hunted) concept was amazingly well done. Best of all was the variety in gameplay and environments. And the shootouts were kickass. Only thing missing from this great western was a Morricone soundtrack, but the music was more than enough in creating that unique Far West atmosphere.

Can't wait to play Bound in Blood.

You´ll love the second part then wink A lot of references to spaghetti western movies and a score that fits the game perfectly.
  6. Killzone 2 (PS3)

Absolutely amazing in the visual department, this is film-like special effects and intensity, and incredible art design. Gameplay-wise it's nothing new, with scripted encounters at every turn and edge-of-the-seat battles we've already experienced hundreds of times before. But who cares if it's this well done, with amazing set-pieces and levels and brilliant artificial intelligence that WILL test your patience and stamina. Kudos to the dutch dev team, these guys are my neighbours from the north, so a big wave and beer to you.

Silent Hill 2 (PS2)

This horror epic from 8 years ago still holds its own thanks to a thoroughly disturbing game world, and splendid storyline, even the one in the movie wasn't as good. Don't play it to be scared a few times, play it to feel a constant feeling of dread, uneasiness, and most importantly isolation. This game's hero is not a hero at all, he is an everyman that is just as disgusted by his surroundings as the player is. To get the most out of this, you have to darken the room, up the sound and chase the people around you away. By the time the game has ended you will have experienced one of the most emotional, atmospheric and nerve-wrecking videogames ever!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009
    I've been playing The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition for a couple of days now. I've heard nothing but good things of the original, and now a remake (new graphics, voice-overs, re-done music) is available on Steam. Not bad, but it seems I've already gotten myself stuck. Yippy, I can start over...
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2009
    Rian wrote
    Not bad, but it seems I've already gotten myself stuck. Yippy, I can start over...

You're never really stuck!

Need help?
    I've played the game a million times. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009
    I am stuck. There was a glitch which gave me an object before I was supposed to have it, and now the game wants me to do something that I've already done. Strange stuff.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  7. Ha, I know of Monkey Island and its legendary status, maybe I'll try it out, I only know parts 3 and 4. Can anyone confirm is Earl Boen still in this (voice of LeChuck)?

Fast forward to current gen, Killzone 2, after completing the campaign it I can only say, I'm in total awe of this title, gorgeous to look at, and a visceral and intense experience like the best war movies. Only in this one you can die a hundred times over. Control-wise it's absolutely fantastic, I'm a PC FPS fanatic, but this worked amazing well on console. I'm currently enjoying the off-line multiplayer battles.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    crazy

Splinter Cell Conviction has been delayed AGAIN and will now only be released on the Xbox 360 around (if not after) MARCH 2010!! crazy

I've been waiting since E3 2006 for this game and now it's been pushed back for the fourth time!
  8. Anthony wrote
    crazy

Splinter Cell Conviction has been delayed AGAIN and will now only be released on the Xbox 360 around (if not after) MARCH 2010!! crazy

I've been waiting since E3 2006 for this game and now it's been pushed back for the fourth time!

if that's the game I saw a trailer of (taking revenge for his daughter), it looks mighty impressive
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    They've already scrapped what they'd done and redesigned it from the ground up (it was going to have crowd control but they decided it would be too similar to Assassin's Creed). I hope they're not doing it again. slant

AS LONG as the delay means it will be substantially better than it looks now and benefits because of it I can wait...
  9. I still have to go through Double Agent. I'm a little behind I know. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited
    Yayyyyyy! punk I bought the -nicely revamped by Lucasarts- Secret Of Monkey Island on this Steam platform thingy.

Also, cheaply, the very much NOT revamped Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade.
    8 bit graphics.
    You gotta love it! Way nostalgic!

Main reason I purchased that one is that my old Amiga game version back in 1990 crashed each time I entered the Venice sewers, so I have never been able to finish the game!
    And now I can. cool

Damn, those Lucasarts games were really funny and creative back in the day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    Looks nice! I love nostalgic games!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The only really weird thing is that both games are about 1 GB in size on my hard disk.
    OK, Monkey Island was revamped with voice work and new music et cetera, so fine, but I seem to remember Last Crusade being just two or three floppy disks (i.e. no more than 5 mb)... Very strange.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What is it's title now? Secret Of Monkey Island revamped? Is it available on pc too? Too difficult btw?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited
    "The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition" (what else? It's Lucas! biggrin )

You can get it here.

Not sure about the specific details, but you first need to download a specific client for the Steam application (a supporting layer which enables the activation of games purchased through that outlet, and also serves as a client/server interface for multi-player games, which are of no interest to me, incidentally).

And yeah, that's for the PC (though at a guess I would think this Steam thing is platform independent, and as that IS the layer driving the game, I guess there should be a Mac or whatever other version as well...but I never checked).

Too difficult?
    Well, it's Lucasarts.
    They have a definitely off-beat sense of humour tat has ever defeated me yet (in fact Lucasarts adventures are the only ones I have ever been able to finish without walkthroughs or cheats), but they have frustrated many a friend of mine back in the day...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks! Don't worry yourself on the methods of acquiring it though, at least when you're explaining them to me; i know some people who know some people who are into these websites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That's the thing, I'm not sure you'll be able to get around that Steam thing.

Though obviously you could simply get the old games on abandonware sites.
    Not sure if they'll run in a DOS box, though: you will probably need a CPU-slower or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    i know some people who know some people who are into these websites.

Wow, you too? cool
  10. Martijn wrote
    That's the thing, I'm not sure you'll be able to get around that Steam thing.

Though obviously you could simply get the old games on abandonware sites.
    Not sure if they'll run in a DOS box, though: you will probably need a CPU-slower or something.

A lot of this stuff works on DOSBox - a DOS simulator. (Yes, they're making those now)
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DOSBox is a simulator?
    Just to be perfectly clear: I was talking about the regular command windows in Windows proper.