• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    I remember the first game I ever played... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_Dave biggrin

I still have a large collection of those old DOS games just for nostalgia... Aladdin, Lion King, Biomenace, Wolf 3D, DemonStar etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    There is a place for both PC and console in gamenation. At least for me.

Some genres work better on consoles. Others work better on the good old IBM compatible.

Take FPS's for instance, way more satisfying to play keyboard / mouse.

And I don't need to upgrade my machine every year or so. In general after two years I just put in a new top of the line gfx card, that's it...

Then, after 5-6 years you throw all those dollars away and you get a new system from scratch. All that money for the base package and updates go into the dust bin!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Some genres work better on consoles. Others work better on the good old IBM compatible.

And I don't need to upgrade my machine every year or so. In general after two years I just put in a new top of the line gfx card, that's it...

Then, after 5-6 years you throw all those dollars away and you get a new system from scratch. All that money for the base package and updates go into the dust bin!

Yes but they will have served their purpose, mate, I spend a huge amount of time on that machine. And what about consoles, after about 5-6 years the next-gen systems arrive, so if you want to keep up, you have to buy one as well.

I don't think it's wasted money if you get something out of the investment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Talos wrote

ps.. I am 36. Want to see the first computer game that I played EVER?.. here a screenshot:

[IMG]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5660/tennisa.th.jpg[/IMG]

Phew... makes me wonder what kind of games we will have 20 years or so from now.

I'm nearing 34 and am a big gaming nut.

And according to some press release I just read, can't remember from where, in 10-15 years time we will be playing photo-realistic games...

shocked shocked shocked vomit

Games that mimic reality... that's horrible!!! We want games to transport us in fantasy realms, not real life.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    DreamTheater wrote
    And according to some press release I just read, can't remember from where, in 10-15 years time we will be playing photo-realistic games...

I won't be surprised if that happens even sooner. That field's advancing very rapidly.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Splinter Cell Conviction looks so damn good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Yes but they will have served their purpose, mate, I spend a huge amount of time on that machine. And what about consoles, after about 5-6 years the next-gen systems arrive, so if you want to keep up, you have to buy one as well.

I don't think it's wasted money if you get something out of the investment.

Consoles are infinitely cheaper than a pc gaming machine wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Talos wrote

ps.. I am 36. Want to see the first computer game that I played EVER?.. here a screenshot:

Phew... makes me wonder what kind of games we will have 20 years or so from now.

Games that mimic reality... that's horrible!!! We want games to transport us in fantasy realms, not real life.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/gamer/
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Talos wrote

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/gamer/

As a gamer I can safely say it doesn't look very good! I honestly have no idea what it's about, that's never a good sign!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009
    Another game that looks insanely good. Assassin's Creed 2. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2009 edited
    Videogames music pioneers:

http://www.vgmusic.com/

The things they did with midis! Good ol´days.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Good old what?! vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Good old what?! vomit

For those of us that started with an MSX, trust me, those were great days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MIDI?!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yes, MIDI. Games with themes and subthemes (specially the ones released by Konami), they were the seed of what we have today! It is the way I discovered the score world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Outside the sea of nostalgia my friend, they sound like CRAP! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Compared to the orchestral scores we get these days, yes they do. But going back in time to the late eighties, no they didn´t.
  4. Since the children got a Wii at Christmas I've been playing more games over the past 5-6 months than I have ever played before (the last one before now was Chaos Engine on the MegaDrive!!)

After an initial addiction to Wii Sports' tennis, more recently it's been a trio of games that have kept my attention: Mario Kart, de Blob and the thoroughly excellent Super Mario Galaxy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. I just got The Valkyria Chronicles. It's nothing new to most of you, I'm sure, but I'm really liking it. It reminds me of a great old computer game I loved called X-com.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Outside the sea of nostalgia my friend, they sound like CRAP! wink

They only sound as crap as your pc makes them sound. wink
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  6. continue the quest for the end of Killzone 2
    and I must say this game is quite challenging but also very good. There are the expected moments you take over a vehicle or a really big gun wink , but there is also a cool but simple story that takes you to surprising combat moments where all hell breaks loose. This game is pretty hard, even on a normal level (considering these guys don't fall down with a mere couple of gunshots) and playing this hard must be an insane experience.

Anyway what I heard about the score is that it's large but also (the orchestral parts) really good.
    the rest is sufficient during the gunbattles

anyway, another great shooter smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2009
    I bought Company of Heroes yesterday...but I'm still applying patches to it. Over 2GB worth! I expect this game to be tweaked to perfection when I'm done! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2009 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I bought Company of Heroes yesterday...but I'm still applying patches to it. Over 2GB worth! I expect this game to be tweaked to perfection when I'm done! biggrin

GREAT game. I had hours of fun and addiction with this one. I even dreamt of engineer / heavy weapons squads! Never been a big fan of real time strategy, but this one is as arcade as a RT strategy game can be: easy to run, very intuitive menus and options, etc.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2009
    I'm still patching! angry
  7. Upcoming action / adventure game Uncharted 2: Among Thieves easily looks like the best action / adventure film coming out this year. See the trailer and I dare you not to be excited.

Looks like they've already begun working on Final Fantasy 14, and 13 isn't even with us yet. Looks to be an online affair only.
  8. DreamTheater wrote
    Upcoming action / adventure game Uncharted 2: Among Thieves easily looks like the best action / adventure film coming out this year. See the trailer and I dare you not to be excited.

woohoo, bring on the adventure
    this is my kind of game smile
  9. Told you so. cool
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    Told you so. cool

haven't looked at the trailer though
    I leave that especially for next week smile
  11. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Told you so. cool

Yes but will you be able to resist the urge, what with only a click away. cheesy
  12. DreamTheater wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Told you so. cool

Yes but will you be able to resist the urge, what with only a click away. cheesy

yes I can dizzy