• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    No, you've got it all wrong. It's just Williams being lazy and reusing the theme.

He can't even come up with something new! What a hack!

BLASPHEMY.
    Thou shalt not insult the great Williams even in jest.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010
    THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (STEREO): LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1133
    Music by John Williams
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units

SHIPPING APRIL 27th
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ORDER "THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE (STEREO): LIMITED EDITION" April 20th at www.lalalandrecords.com

First time entire score is presented in STEREO! Presenting the premiere stereo release of John Williams' (JAWS, STAR WARS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, SCHINDLER'S LIST) classic score to the legendary 1972 Twentieth Century Fox adventure film THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, starring Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Shelly Winters and Red Buttons, produced by Irwin Allen and directed by Ronald Neame. Williams' epic orchestral score expertly intertwines the film's examination of heroism and tragedy. Produced by Nick Redman and Mike Matessino, mastered by Daniel Hersch, and remixed and sequenced by Mike Matessino, this superb-sounding special limited edition release features never-before-released Bonus Tracks, including the film versions of "The Morning After", source cues and alternate versions of the main title. In-depth liner notes by Jeff Bond take you behind the scenes of the film and its music. This is a limited edition of 3000 Units.

For this release, the 2" 24-track tape containing the original 35mm 6-track mag was transferred into Pro Tools, and restored and mixed with the advantages of another decade's advance in sound processing technology.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Main Title (2:12)
    2. Rogo And Linda (1:34)
    3. The Big Wave/The Aftermath (4:02)
    4. Raising The Christmas Tree (1:28)
    5. Nonnie And Red/Up The Tree (1:59)
    6. Death's Door/The Upturned Galley (2:01)
    7. Through The Galley (1:13)
    8. The Other Survivors (1:37)
    9. Search For The Engine Room (2:51)
    10. Barber Shoppe Scene (1:46)
    11. Saving Robin (1:24)
    12. The Death Of Belle (3:25)
    13. Hold Your Breath (3:08)
    14. The Red Wheel (1:25)
    15. Rogo Takes Command (1:38)
    16. End Title (The Rescue) (3:36)
    Total Time: 35:18

Alternates and Source Music:
    17. Main Title (alternate #1) (1:58)
    18. New Year's Party (version 1) (0:58)
    19. To Love (3:12)
    20. New Year's Party (version 2) (2:11)
    21. Main Title (alternate #2) (1:59)
    22. "The Morning After" (version 1)* (2:10)
    23. "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing"* (2:19)
    24. "Give Me The Simple Life"/"A Certain Smile"* (1:49)
    25. "The Morning After" (instrumental)* (2:09)
    26. "Auld Lang Syne"* (1:34)
    27. "The Morning After" (version 2)* (2:10)
    28. End Title (alternate) (2:38)
    Total Time: 25:13

Total Running Time: 60:39
    * Not published by Warner-Tamerlane (BMI)
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Cool! Never heard this score, but I thought it was considered as one of his classics? Might be something I'll order, though I'll wait for some clips first...

Anyhow, the recent prayers for a new Williams release seem to have been awnsered wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Actually, this was released roughly ten years ago by FSM and quickly sold out and has become a huge collectors item. IMHO, besides the AWESOME theme this score isn't one of Williams' best.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    But still worthy enough of a purchase? It's really hard for a score to be among his best, but something right beneath that could still be a great score! Or is it really, despite the main theme, a disappointment that's gotten buzz due to the status of film, composer, main theme and rareness?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Listen to the clips from the FSM release and tell me what you think. Click on the track time for MP3 versions.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Actually, this was released roughly ten years ago by FSM and quickly sold out and has become a huge collectors item. IMHO, besides the AWESOME theme this score isn't one of Williams' best.

-Erik-

I have to agree with Erik, it's all very listenable but formulaic suspence music but, oh boy, that theme, THAT THEME!!! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited
    Thanks! As a first impression, it seems like a cross between some of his more difficult listens, and the more mainstream spectacle. Interesting little Williams mannerisms and a few moments that remind me of Jaws. Seems like a worthy score for such a film, but indeed no 'wow' effect yet. Odd how one track sounds stereo btw... hopefully the whole of this new release will sound that way. It does indeed strike me as a bit formulaic... the theme's got potential though, but I don't think just yet if I will buy this just for that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Good news for those who didn't snatch up the ol' FSM release when it was available. Personally, I'm content with the FSM. In fact, I don't play it that often as I don't think it's that great a score (and then there's that whole C&C thing in addition to that). But it's one of Williams' famous disaster scores and deserves to be around.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Good news for those who didn't snatch up the ol' FSM release when it was available.

Good news indeed. I did miss the FSM release and so this is a welcomed release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010 edited
    Apparantly Steven Spielberg is directing "War Horse" as his next film, which probably means a John Williams score.

"Set against the sweeping backdrop of the Great War, storyline charts the extraordinary friendship between a boy and a horse who are separated but whose fates continue to intertwine over the course of WWI."

This calls for a beautiful and epic John Williams score smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    Artworks wrote
    Apparantly Steven Spielberg is directing "War Horse" as his next film, which probably means a John Williams score.

"Set against the sweeping backdrop of the Great War, storyline charts the extraordinary friendship between a boy and a horse who are separated but whose fates continue to intertwine over the course of WWI."

I hope so! Also, it seems that Spielberg draws to horses as it was Dreamworks who made Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron which had a reather similar storyline. Besides Jaws he has never made an "animal movie" yet. Looking forward to it!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Artworks wrote

It truly does. But I don't expect this movie to hit screens earlier than 2013... we'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, Spielberg is a quick shooter, he did War of the Worlds incredibly fast (though that shows a bit). Nonetheless, he'll probably be busy with Tin Tin for a while first, indeed. Looking forward to that one!

Btw, the Berg has announced numerous projects as his 'next film' by now, and he keeps passing them. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd only executive produce this. I'll believe it when he's actually on the set smile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010
    Ugh....I hate animal movies (unless they're animated). Not too happy with this assignment for my favourite director.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I detect schmaltz.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Shame Spielberg isn't doing Pirate Latitudes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This is the first time in a long time where I'm not really looking forward to the next Spielberg film. A little bit perhaps, but I'm skeptical about this one...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I've been skeptical about his projects before, but when the trailer arrived, he won me over everytime. Or he dropped the project just in time. Which is still a very viable possibility - this is just one of the countless projects he said he would be doing, guys!

I'm even skeptical about Tintin (a LOT), but it's Spielberg, I'm sure he knows what he's doing.
  2. I think it could be lovely. I love horses, and as already mentioned, this could be another call for a romantic score by Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010
    I think this movie has many things Spielberg is excellent at: dramatic war scenes, child actors, emotions.
    Murpurgo, who wrote the novel writes very nice books and doesn't shy away from difficult topics.
    As for me, I'm really looking forward to this movie!
  3. So, I've listened to the scores of the first 3 episodes of Star Wars and of them, some of my favorite cues are:

Anakin's Theme (the juxtaposition of childlike innocence and menace is absolutely stunning)
    Battle of the Heroes
    Duel of the Fates
    Zam the Assassin ~ Chase Through Coruscant (Amazing action)
    General Grievous (more of that organized chaos I like)
    The Flag Parade (perfection!)
    The Throne Room
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010
    No "Across the Stars"? That is IMO the strongest theme of all in the entire prequel trilogy. Unashamed melodic romanticism with a melancholic twist.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Agreed. The best theme from the prequels, easily.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Duel of the Fates... hands down.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Duel of the Fates... hands down.

-Erik-

Without a doubt!
  5. Thor wrote
    No "Across the Stars"? That is IMO the strongest theme of all in the entire prequel trilogy. Unashamed melodic romanticism with a melancholic twist.

I like that one, too. There were just too many good ones to list, I only listed the ones that stuck out to me immediately.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010 edited
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPNnUZmx … r_embedded

Lego John Williams!
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010
    Just saw it on FSM, very cool! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010
    I wonder how he animated the cape?
    Seems a mix between stop-motion and computer manipulation. Quite well done as far as animation goes, even though I didn't think the "story" was very interesting.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn