• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    I've little doubt that I would have liked Williams's Deathly Hallows (even) more than Desplat's, but calling the latter "drone" is a bit of a stretch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Where you lost me it's at the "Going from a melody to a drone" comment which i find very leveling.

I didn't say it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You supported the notion here, unless i didn't understand well.

Erik Woods wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    ^ Water under the bridge at this point.

About time. And speaking of Williams:

"Right from the very start, when the Warner Bros logo appears, this film feels different. The colours are gray and muted, the sound is a low rumble and even the famous theme from John Williams seems to have given way to a much darker drone.

Everything that's wrong with Hollywood and film music today is stated in that one painful sentence.

suicide

-Erik-
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    I'm not supporting the notion I'm just reacting to whomever said that quote above. Substituting melody with dark drone. How else am I supposed to take that? It's this dumbed down approach that's polluting Hollywood these days that disappoints me and the above quote just shows that it's not get much better.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    I'm not supporting the notion I'm just reacting to whomever said that quote above. Substituting melody with dark drone. How else am I supposed to take that? It's this dumbed down approach that's polluting Hollywood these days that disappoints me and the above quote just shows that it's not get much better.

-Erik-

Well? What did you expected? A fully orchestral rendition of Hedwig's Theme? The movies now became much more darker than before, the same thing with the music. And Desplat is not someone who makes "drones" like the MV guys. He made good low-key music for the darkest scenes of Deathly Hallows, like in Bathilda Bagshot and Captured And Tortured.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

Everything that's wrong with Hollywood and film music today is stated in that one painful sentence.

suicide

-Erik-

Erik, what may have sounded like a drone to someone could be something different to other people's ears.

And at least Yates wasn't opposed to using Williams for Part 2 -- scheduling conflicts, as always. sad
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yonythemoony wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well? What did you expected? A fully orchestral rendition of Hedwig's Theme? The movies now became much more darker than before, the same thing with the music. And Desplat is not someone who makes "drones" like the MV guys. He made good low-key music for the darkest scenes of Deathly Hallows, like in Bathilda Bagshot and Captured And Tortured.

Why do people associate a fully orchestral rendering of any theme with something that is happy and joyous. Yes, a fully orchestral rendition of the theme in a minor key would be just wonderful.

The Star Wars prequels got much darker as the progressed yet that classic main theme played over top of the opening scroll.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Although I'm not always a firm believer in the usage of full-blown themes (The Dark Knight is perfect as it is, for example), I definitely think the Harry Potter franchise is something that should be wholly thematic. Not least because it started out as such and lends itself for such an approach perfectly, and I think it's a shame every composer seems to start out anew instead of building upon each others thematic universe. They have all approached their scoring in a thematic way, yet never really embraced the themes that were already there.

In this way, a world that could've been huge in its thematic universe, has become unstructured with time and again different themes composed for the same characters or events. And I've always hoped the final film would end on a triumphant note with a fully developed and robust version of Hedwig's theme, amongst other themes, which is getting more and more unlikely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Speaking of which, does anyone have any theory as to why Hedwig's Theme really is the only theme that runs through all movies? How come the theme for the friggin' OWL (which doesn't even have that much space in the narrative) gets to be the leitmotif for the entire Potter universe?

Any theories?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I think it's because it's the one theme that has gotten iconic and really connected itself to the franchise, even before the other composers took over. It is, after all, the very first thing you hear when any Potter film opens, and it plays out over all the logo's and main credits - film title and all. It has also been used in the trailers from day 1 (the very first footage of the first film that was shown had it, and generated ringtone versions and all), and in parodies, media campaigns, etc. It's also the most simple, and as such, most memorable theme of the franchise.

In short, it's the one theme that struck a chord with the audience. So it really isn't the theme of the owl, anymore (and I believe it was never used that way in the original film, either, it just needed to have a name), it's being regarded as indeed the theme of the franchise.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I hadn't thought of that, very good point.

Anyone care to make an excuse?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. First of all, I believe it stands for the eerie, mystical aspects of the wizarding world slowly revealing themselves to Harry. Therefore, I can live with it being most prominent in the first movies and being the general theme for the franchise. Beyond that, I agree to everything said about how the themes should have been consistent.

But that´s hardly a new point or discussion. What I would like to add, though, is that I agree that it wouldn´t have been a problem to introduce darker versions of existing themes over time to fit the overall development of the story. On the other hand, Deathly Hallows does have a very different feeling compared to the rest of the saga, and Desplat´s approach might actually be a good one - as long as he returns to earlier themes during the actual Finale, which would be more than appropriate, but then again I doubt that he´ll do that and guess he will further develop his new themes instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Speaking of which, does anyone have any theory as to why Hedwig's Theme really is the only theme that runs through all movies? How come the theme for the friggin' OWL (which doesn't even have that much space in the narrative) gets to be the leitmotif for the entire Potter universe?

Any theories?

It has been a while since I'm seen Philosopher's Stone but is Hedwig's Theme ACTUALLY Hedwig's Theme? Honesty, I think Williams screwed up when naming that track. I'm with Ralph. Hedwig's Theme is more a theme the represents the franchise as a whole and not so much one particular character.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    It DOES feature prominently during the massive owl post attack at the beginning, but that´s all there is regarding to owls. Since Hedwig doesn´t appear until much later (and there´s a different theme running when she´s on screen, especially during those beautiful flight scenes), I´d say Williams just screwed up. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    It has been a while since I'm seen Philosopher's Stone but is Hedwig's Theme ACTUALLY Hedwig's Theme? Honesty, I think Williams screwed up when naming that track. I'm with Ralph. Hedwig's Theme is more a theme the represents the franchise as a whole and not so much one particular character.

I agree.

Where I disagree though is with everyone who thinks the different composers should try to sound like John Williams. Fair enough, you could get someone like John Debney to come in and do that, but there's no point hiring someone of the calibre of Desplat if you just want him to write a Williams soundalike. I'm actually quite surprised by how Williams-sounding some of the action music is in Deathly Hallows - he gets far closer to the sound than either Doyle or Hooper. And for me it's the perfect approach - enough of a hint of Williams that it's recognisably from the same franchise (bearing in mind the film is vastly different from the ones Williams scored, so Williams's own Deathly Hallows score would likely not be a great deal like his others were) but not so much that you end up removing the qualities from his music which make him what he is.

The very worst situation for me is something like Brian Tyler's Rambo where you have these completely jarring shifts from Tyler-style music to Goldsmith music, which is utterly different. I'm glad Harry Potter didn't go down that road.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    It isn´t about the sound and style but the themes that Williams wrote. As much as I would have wanted Williams to stay for the whole run, it wasn´t to be, but I would have loved to hear other composer´s versions of "Window to the Past" or "Harry´s Wonderous World" getting darker and different with each movie. And the choice of the substitutes itself led to even more disappointment for some of us. That, of course, is a matter of style, to which I agree regarding to your point. There was no need to copy the Williams sound, only his general approach in quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I guess I just don't see the need for the different themes to continue from one theme to the next. If taken as "The Harry Potter Theme" then Hedwig's Theme certainly has a place, but I'm not sure about the others really. I'm just not sure they're well-known enough to warrant doing it. While obviously Williams's scores were thematically-driven, they weren't in the same was as (say) the Star Wars scores were.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It isn´t about the sound and style but the themes that Williams wrote. As much as I would have wanted Williams to stay for the whole run, it wasn´t to be, but I would have loved to hear other composer´s versions of "Window to the Past" or "Harry´s Wonderous World" getting darker and different with each movie. And the choice of the substitutes itself led to even more disappointment for some of us. That, of course, is a matter of style, to which I agree regarding to your point. There was no need to copy the Williams sound, only his general approach in quality.

yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Some good points about the owl theme, although it doesn't really get to the bottom of the matter.

I too think it became the saga's calling card because it was the most prominent and memorable theme in the first movie (which laid the groundwork for all to follow). However, it doesn't really make any sense from a narrative point-of-view.

In the latest film, the theme DOES pop up whenever Hedwig is on ([spoiler]in a dark arrangement as Hedwig plummets to the ground after being shot[/spoiler]), so there seems to be this very weird paradox running through the saga in which it's BOTH a theme for the owl - a character that isn't really important or doesn't really have much of a role in the story - AND the whole universe as a whole.

On the other hand, I DO have a theory - which may be stretching things a bit.

My theory is that the owl is the audience's watchful eye within the universe, that we're basically seeing the whole story unfold through the vessel of the owl (even though it isn't always present in the scene). The owl is the audience. So the theme expands beyond the character to become the theme for the mystery and magic of the whole universe.

Anyway, I'm raving on, but even though the franchise as a whole doesn't interest me that much, that particular aspect does. It's kinda traditional leitmotif on one hand, but then again, not really.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    On the other hand, I DO have a theory - which may be stretching things a bit.

My theory is that the owl is the audience's watchful eye within the universe, that we're basically seeing the whole story unfold through the vessel of the owl (even though it isn't always present in the scene). The owl is the audience. So the theme expands beyond the character to become the theme for the mystery and magic of the whole universe.

Not a strange theory at all. I like it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Thor wrote

So, er, what happens to the audience when [spoiler]the owl dies[/spoiler]? cheesy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Scribe wrote
    Thor wrote

So, er, what happens to the audience when [spoiler]the owl dies[/spoiler]? cheesy

Well, [spoiler]I'm not sure it is dead. We only see it plummet, we don't see what happens to it. I'm sure it'll pop in the last installment too! smile[/spoiler]
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I think the other themes would have gained more attention automatically if they had lasted longer. Plus, the massive use of Hedwig´s Theme in the first movie forced the attention to it.

I find it interesting to hear that it is used during that pivotal moment in DH, but I think Desplat just wanted to use it here because it magnifies the impact and symbolizes [spoiler]the beginning of the end. A lot of things are going to change, lots of people will die. Harry´s world is changing.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I think the other themes would have gained more attention automatically if they had lasted longer. Plus, the massive use of Hedwig´s Theme in the first movie forced the attention to it.

I find it interesting to hear that it is used during that pivotal moment in DH, but I think Desplat just wanted to use it here because it magnifies the impact and symbolizes [spoiler]the beginning of the end. A lot of things are going to change, lots of people will die. Harry´s world is changing.[/spoiler]

Yeah, I think it's a little bit of that and a little bit about the owl too. Again, it seems to have this dual (or multiple) purpose that extends far beyond Hedwig.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Desplat said that Hedwig's theme was used in the scenes when Harry is leaving his childhood and innocence behind. And after I watched the film, I think he used pretty well (the theme rendition in The Will is not on the film) By the way, Hedwig's theme rendition in the beginning of the film, before Obliviate is everything except drone. It's played in the celesta, like in Polyjuice Potion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Well, [spoiler]I'm not sure it is dead. We only see it plummet, we don't see what happens to it. I'm sure it'll pop in the last installment too! smile[/spoiler]

Actually, [spoiler]Hedwig does die, hit by the Killing Curse. J.K Rowling said that Hedwig's death is symbolic of Harry losing his innocence and moving onto the dark world of adulthood for the task of destroying Voldemort. Hedwig's Theme is indeed symbolic of the Wizarding World as a whole rather than the owl, but I think Desplat chose to take it literally and "killed" the theme in Sky Battle along the same lines. He's a HP fan so I think he possibly knew about what the author said too. smile Though I'd like to see the theme return in full form in the finale anyway.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    DemonStar wrote
    Thor wrote

Actually, [spoiler]Hedwig does die, hit by the Killing Curse. J.K Rowling said that Hedwig's death is symbolic of Harry losing his innocence and moving onto the dark world of adulthood for the task of destroying Voldemort. Hedwig's Theme is indeed symbolic of the Wizarding World as a whole rather than the owl, but I think Desplat chose to take it literally and "killed" the theme in Sky Battle along the same lines. He's a HP fan so I think he possibly knew about what the author said too. smile Though I'd like to see the theme return in full form in the finale anyway.[/spoiler]

Well, the film leaves the scene ambigously and open (whereas the book may not).
    I am extremely serious.
  5. DemonStar wrote
    Thor wrote

I agree. Especially with the last line.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    Hello, maintitles, WAKE UP!

Varese recently announced FAMILY PLOT as their latest release:

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/ … lot/Detail

Cool!

I had a feeling this one was right around the corner when those crystal-clear recordings leaked out on bootleg a couple of years ago. Now I'm only happy to throw that away and replace it with the real deal.

It's not really a score I find that interesting (beyond the brilliant main and end titles, there's a lot of sneaking-around music), and I would obviously have preferred to see an album arrangement out of it, but that aside - it's an important score in Williams' history and it's great to FINALLY have it released.

Makes you think that SUGARLAND EXPRESS may not be an impossibility either.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    HELLO, THIS IS THE FILM MUSIC NEWS OF THE YEAR!!!!
    I am extremely serious.