• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Horton Hears A Who! - John Powell

Just started this literally 3 minutes ago.... and what an opening bunch of tracks! Powell is easily the God of former MV/RC composers... move over Zimmer, the new king has arrived! Wow! This is a lot of fun. Very much looking forward to the rest of it! And I ADORE Shawn Murphy's recording. Please for the love of God I hope Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sounds this good!

-Erik-

Wait until you hear the last bunch of tracks. Those are really great!

The first track is my only really complaintment about this score....It seems Jack Skeletton has to make his entrance.... Too Elfmanish.

Oh my god you'll complain about anything won't you!? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Just started this literally 3 minutes ago.... and what an opening bunch of tracks! Powell is easily the God of former MV/RC composers... move over Zimmer, the new king has arrived! Wow! This is a lot of fun. Very much looking forward to the rest of it! And I ADORE Shawn Murphy's recording. Please for the love of God I hope Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sounds this good!

-Erik-

The first track is my only really complaintment about this score....It seems Jack Skeletton has to make his entrance.... Too Elfmanish.

Oh my god you'll complain about anything won't you!? rolleyes

I don't have any complaint about At world's End
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You did at the start. Loads if I remember correctly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    NP United 93 Vs Stop Loss (John Powell)
    The perfect combination.
    You have to play Horton next though, just to cheer up a little smile
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Lets listen to the score canon of 2007, Mark Isham.

His best 2007 score, for me, was Lions for Lambs. The two final cues are mighty, and especially the second part of the last track is so touching. That solo cello on top of these quiet strings bring silence and a certain hopeful feeling to my room. Beautiful!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Bregt wrote
    Lets listen to the score canon of 2007, Mark Isham.

His best 2007 score, for me, was Lions for Lambs. The two final cues are mighty, and especially the second part of the last track is so touching. That solo cello on top of these quiet strings bring silence and a certain hopeful feeling to my room. Beautiful!

I agree, brilliant cue. Top stuff!

NP: Saving Sarah Cain - Mark McKenzie

A truly gorgeous score from a fantastic, albeit underrated, composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Bah!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    I just gave a spin to AvP: Requiem by Tyler, which I wanted to feature in my radio show, but could not make it past the 6th track. I guess this is more than I can take in one night: way too much noise, I'm giving up. I switched to Lust, Caution by Desplat, which I had a great time listening to ... Delicate and relaxing, a bit like The Painted Veil, or I should say, both albums made me feel pretty much the same way. Anyhow, I liked it ! smile

NP: I'm now giving a first listen to Une hirondelle a fait le printemps by Rombi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: Bobby Jones: Stroke Of Genius - James Horner

Pleasant and quite touching with nice string writing but the Braveheart rips are just plain annoying.

Well, they're practically everywhere (same as THE NEW WORLD) but that won't keep me from enjoying such a good score, same goes for THE NEW WORLD too wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

Glad you liked it eventually, mate. It's constantly in my playlist and it's an absolutely beautiful listen indeed! Glad i am not the only one barking about how underrated Mark McKenzie is, for me, it was my greatest new personal find last year!
  1. NP: Hi-Lo Country (Burwell)

Short, rousing score taps into the 'western feeling' in a very Burwellian fashion.

Yes, some of us don't listen to John Powell all the time at the moment!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    The perfect combination.

I swear Stop Loss is even more forgettable that United 93. I listened to the whole thing through when I was typing out that info about Germaine Franco and I can't remember a thing from it! confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The perfect combination.

I swear Stop Loss is even more forgettable that United 93. I listened to the whole thing through when I was typing out that info about Germaine Franco and I can't remember a thing from it! confused

Anthony! Anthony!! What´s happening to you?!
    You´re telling me you don´t remember Stop Loss´main theme for example? shocked
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    LSH wrote

Glad you liked it eventually, mate. It's constantly in my playlist and it's an absolutely beautiful listen indeed! Glad i am not the only one barking about how underrated Mark McKenzie is, for me, it was my greatest new personal find last year!

I only really 'discovered' McKenzie early last year when I heard his beautiful score for THE DISAPPEARANCE OF GARCIA LORCA. Then, as I do with every great new composer I find, I went through a short period of excessive McKenzie purchases, discovering DRAGONHEART: A NEW BEGINNING, THE LOST CHILD, DURANGO and of course the long-awaited THE ULTIMATE GIFT. It's a shame he isn't as famous or, at least, recognised as some of the popular composers of our time - a lot of whom do not deserve such praise. Certainly sad to see such talent pass by like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: K-Pax - Edward Shearmur

Does anyone else just love this score? It's so addictive but so lovely also - a great chill-out score.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The perfect combination.

But it's not always easy to remember themes from your first listen, especially with scores of this nature, and especially if you were working on something else. Point being perhaps it's not just the score's fault for being forgettable!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JOE 90 - Barry Gray

The weakest of the Gray 'Gerry Anderson' scores but still great fun! cool

And what a theme! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Umm... whatever happened to The Lion King in the Zimmer list? slant

Anyway, NP: Independence Day Complete 2 CD - David Arnold

Simply amazing, IMO an outstanding work by Arnold. Especially the action/cues and the "President's Speech" cue even outshine some of Godzilla's cues.

Just a minor note, I'm having a major exam next Sunday so I'll be limiting my time on the computer a lot. See you guys after this one passes, next one's not until May (on my birthday tongue )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    The opossite happens with Zimmer, who grow up with the years.

Fortunately for us (and for him). Actually, there are veeery few of his older scores I can listen right now. The last time I tried with "Black Rain" or "Beyond Rangoon", not to mention "Drop Zone" ( vomit ), it was a torture.

Man...Beyond Rangoon is one of his best scores! crazy

Actually... I agree!

Beyond Rangoon is a top work indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote
    NP: K-Pax - Edward Shearmur

Does anyone else just love this score? It's so addictive but so lovely also - a great chill-out score.

cool

I am absolutely in love with that album. It was one very touching and emotional experience for me, the film and the score, and that album always manages to echo those feelings as I've first head it. The scene where Kevin Spacey's character travels through the city in a cab and "Taxi Ride" plays over gorgeous slo-mo and the entire "New Mexico" track is truly one of the most delicate, finest examples of modern film music I've seen / heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The perfect combination.

But it's not always easy to remember themes from your first listen, especially with scores of this nature, and especially if you were working on something else. Point being perhaps it's not just the score's fault for being forgettable!

Yeah but Stop Loss has a very prominent main theme, easily memorable and constantly repeated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mike Oldfield - Music Of The Spheres

first listen shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    North and South - Bill Conti

shocked shocked shocked

My god, this is magnificent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    Southall wrote
    North and South - Bill Conti

shocked shocked shocked

My god, this is magnificent.

I only heard the sound clips at Varese's website. Did anyone notice that "Orry’s Odyssey" sounds almost identical to Conti's The Adventures of Huck Finn ("We're still Friends")? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    10.000 BC | kloser & wander

rolleyes
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    The perfect combination.

You've watched UNITED 93, the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote

rolleyes

Indeed; indeed
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bregt wrote

rolleyes

Indeed; indeed

He's disguised his name!? What a wanker.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

Fantastic score and perfect for this rainy day. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ROAD TO PERDITION - Thomas Newman

Fantastic score and perfect for this rainy day. cool

Yeap...Specilly the first track.

But how all Newman's score far too edited, long and repetitive.

Good score, thought.

NP:Solaris (Martinez)

In my all time top 10.

Hypnotic score. With this combination of electronics (chillout-like), orchestra and this kind of glass sound.

beer