• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2009
    I got the camera that I ordered from the scammers (mentioned in this earlier post) today. It came in a white box with a Canon label and had a sticker that said that the media card was not included. In order to open the box you'd have to break the sticker. I didn't open it.
    I had a suspicion that these chaps would not sell a genuine product so I ordered the same camera from Amazon and that arrived today as well. The Amazon product came in the proper color Canon product box with all the accessories and labels.
    Called up the Fotoconnection chaps to complain that they did not sell me a genuine product and that I wanted a return with full refund. I hope I get my full refund.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2009
    ! Let us know how it goes!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2009 edited
    Bregje wrote
    You will be fine. smile
    Next time you read your post you'll probably (hopefully) laugh about it a bit. kiss

By the way, where did you get the translation job? I'd love to do some translation work or text editing but I have no idea where to find it. Plus I'm afraid those jobs go to literature students immediately anyway...

Bregje!!!!! I can't believe I forgot to answer to you!!!! I'm really sorry! Most of the times I get these jobs through people I already know. I mean if one of my friends hears about somebody needing a translation or editing he introduces me. I used to work for a translation company but I can't anymore since I'm working for the public sector. How are you doing with your work? Is it better now? wave
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You know I'm in for a good day as my dad just asked "So what time are we going to see Star Wars?" rolleyes shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Anthony wrote
    You know I'm in for a good day as my dad just asked "So what time are we going to see Star Wars?" rolleyes shame

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote

I fail to see the problem?
    Hope you enjoy your marathon DVD run! wave
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. I think his dad meant to say Star Trek. So similar in name yet so different in style.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I don't post here often, but I think it's time I put my complaints on the table.

I mean it's just incredible I got annoyed this way earlier today. And this happens every time. It's not the end of the world I know, but damn I'm always terribly annoyed by it.

What the hell am I talking about? sad

You ever got new CDs in the mail? You know how they're always wrapped up in case they would break following an earthquake, right? How they're sealed up top with that small plastic strip with the score info that sticks to the front and back of the box and keeps it closed. I can never get that off in a clean way. I always end up screwing up my boxes (leaving sticky residue), and I always end up using my spares cases to replace them, and that's what's been annoying me today. Can't they seriously think of another way to do this? crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy

Phew, that felt good...

I've calmed down.

I find it really annoying also - the way that there's glue left on the CD case. crazy

But there's no consistency: recently I had a package arrive recently and I had two CDs from the same label (Varese, I think) and one of the strips came of beautifully, no residuals...but the other one was sticky, and broke off in millimetre-sized pieces. It took ages to get that one off.

Lighter fluid removes the adhesive nicely
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    BhelPuri wrote
    I got the camera that I ordered from the scammers (mentioned in this earlier post) today. It came in a white box with a Canon label and had a sticker that said that the media card was not included. In order to open the box you'd have to break the sticker. I didn't open it.
    I had a suspicion that these chaps would not sell a genuine product so I ordered the same camera from Amazon and that arrived today as well. The Amazon product came in the proper color Canon product box with all the accessories and labels.
    Called up the Fotoconnection chaps to complain that they did not sell me a genuine product and that I wanted a return with full refund. I hope I get my full refund.

All I can say is that the world revolves around money.
  2. Money makes the world go round for those that want a spin on the carousel.

Those that don't are left in the gutter, it's the sad truth.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    My point was to save $20 he went through the hassle and might end up with two cameras. The simple solution was to deal with a legitimate place right off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    Atham wrote
    I was only doing 68 Kms in a 60 km zone. They're harsh here in Australia! sad

I feel for you buddy. sad That's ridiculous, $200 for that!? Now that's unjust. They should take into account the severity of the speeding and any past fines you may or may not have got to make a properly weighed and just prosecution rather than that bullshit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    Any word on the refund of the camera?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Flying back home on Saturday. sad

But, boy, what a fantastic eight months it's been. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Flying back home on Saturday. sad

But, boy, what a fantastic eight months it's been. cool

Doesn't time fly slant cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

I feel for you buddy. sad That's ridiculous, $200 for that!? Now that's unjust. They should take into account the severity of the speeding and any past fines you may or may not have got to make a properly weighed and just prosecution rather than that bullshit.

Forgive me if I've missed some relevant points earlier in the thread, but if that $200 is AUS$200 then the fine's almost the same as what you'd be fined in the UK for the same offence, isn't it? (This assumes that you still get AUS$3 per £ like in the good old days, but I suppose it's probably less now.) I got a £60 fine for doing 35mph in a 30mph zone. At night. With nobody around at all (except for a perishing speed camera). On a wide multi-lane road. No parked cars. No pedestrians. Not in a built-up area.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Did you opt for the driving course option rather than getting points on your license? I'm doing one Monday week. Yay, can't wait. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If you don't speed you won't get a ticket. A nameless friend got a DUI (1st offense) and it has set her back $4,000.00. My opinion is that it wasn't tough enough as I believe there should be jail time involved no matter what.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    By the way I'm really stupid about this because I've never had more than a parking ticket.
  3. sdtom wrote
    By the way I'm really stupid about this because I've never had more than a parking ticket.

Same here, Tom. But that's only because I've not been unlucky enough to be captured on-camera.

That may sound that I'm constantly and recklessly speeding but I'm usually quite law-abiding when it comes to keeping to the speed limit (that's what common sense and being involved in a serious accident does to a person).

I'd be quite happy for every car to be fitted with some sort of monitoring device that monitors speed and if register as speeding you automatically get points deducted from a running total. Lose all your points and you get some sort of action taken against you.

Part of the problem I have with the system at the moment is that the irresponsible drivers can get away with dangerous stuff and "minor" indescretions are punished - just because your unlucky enough to be caught. If there were a level playing field, with all people having to stay within the limit - or else - then it wouldn't be so bad.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There's a serious difference between reckless dangerous drivers and driving 7km above the speed limit and getting fined for it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Did you opt for the driving course option rather than getting points on your license? I'm doing one Monday week. Yay, can't wait. rolleyes

I did. Sadly I was then caught speeding on the motorway a few days later so ended up with points anyway. I think I was doing 79mph which is the lowest speed at which you would be stopped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

The problem that I have is the general attitude. Speeding is wrong no matter what unless the people want to change the law.
    Thomas sad
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    There's a serious difference between reckless dangerous drivers and driving 7km above the speed limit and getting fined for it smile

Yes, there is.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd be quite happy for every car to be fitted with some sort of monitoring device that monitors speed and if register as speeding you automatically get points deducted from a running total. Lose all your points and you get some sort of action taken against you.

I'd be happy with this if speed limits were all reviewed and set to appropriate levels. Many of them are simply not appropriate at the moment - having a blanket 60mph limit for the majority of roads is plain stupidity - it's far too high in a lot of places - and by the same token, 70mph is too low on a number of our motorways. And these limits were set when the time it took to brake from those speeds was three or four times higher than it is now, with modern brakes.

I do think though (and I have no suggestion on what could be done to resolve this) that it is not the fact that the driver is going too fast which is the inherent cause of an accident, it's that he is not driving appropriately, which is probably because he's stupid. The driving test shouldn't be a trivial "turn up and pass" exercise, it should actually be very hard. Driving should be seen as a privilege, not a right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, there is.

And that's what we're discussing here smile I seriously doubt Steven or anyone else from the board that got fine for few extra km's above the limit are reckless drivers in general.
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    I seriously doubt Steven or anyone else from the board that got fine for few extra km's above the limit are reckless drivers in general.

And I'd be very sorry if what I wrote gives that impression - that's definitely not what I'm trying to suggest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Until the law is changed don't speed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, they didn't get fined for reckless driving,w ere they?
    They were fined for SPEEDING! Which is what they did.

As to James' point: we are experimenting in The Netherlands with variable speed limits...and it confused the hell out of EVERYBODY (aside from the fact that they seem to be completely random, based on whatever report on the link between speed increase, the environment, traffic jam solutions and public health happens to be prevalent that month. slant ).

It seems so easy to my mind: be clear, be consistent.
    As long as everybody knows what is supposed to be done where, you'll ALWAYS be able to avoid fines.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Steven wrote
    Atham wrote

The problem that I have is the general attitude. Speeding is wrong no matter what unless the people want to change the law.
    Thomas sad

While speeding is against the law, I wouldn't agree that it is automatically wrong. It depends on the circumstances, of course, but most motoring accidents occur in slow-moving traffic. In an urban area then there's no question that the speed limit should be low and people should stick to it - but I struggle to see who the victim is (and therefore why it's any more "wrong" than recording a program off tv and passing it to my friend to watch, which is also illegal) if I choose to drive at 80mph rather than 70mph on a non-busy stretch of motorway. It's virtually unheard of to hit another car when traveling at speed - most accidents are as a result of burst tyres. And frankly in that case it's not likely to make much difference what speed you're doing if it's more than 50 or so.