• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Overall feeling a bit better.

I received a quote for my car insurance renewal this morning and was quoted a price of almost £700!! I know prices for insurance has gone up but this was too much even for me. And as I paid by direct debit the interest would have taken that number to over £800.

So, on the phone to the insurance people. Saying I was not happy and changing car valuation from a ridiculous £10,000 to a more realistic £2,000, plus reducing my yearly mileage and them knocking off their commission to retain my business, then paying in full rather than by direct debit all have saved me (by my reckoning) almost £300.

Sometimes I wonder if having a car is really worth it!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011
    Finding out that I have five consecutive days off from this Sunday has made my day. Having just done a 53 hour week and with a 13 hour shift both today and tomorrow, next week is mine!

Plus, it's my sister's birthday on Sunday. We're having a garden party (if the weather holds) and I'm in charge of the BBQ! I can tell you, I've got some tasty treats lined up.

lick cool
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Passed another professional exam! That's 2 out of 3 done!
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  2. KevinSmith wrote
    Passed another professional exam! That's 2 out of 3 done!

punk

Not far to go now!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Just had a call from the hospital.
    My dad's operation went well beyond expectation.
    The tumor could be removed entirely, and the intestinal system could be reattached fully.

I'm going to visit him in a few hours when he'll be coming round from the anaesthetic.

He's not cured, and won't be (the cancer has spread to his lymph nodes, which is more or less untreatable), but this will make the time that remains to him SO much more comfortable.

I am extremely grateful and relieved.
    I've been too much on edge these last months to be able to be properly happy yet. In fact, I feel rather more like having a bit of a cry. But that's only to be expected, I guess.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Come here mate... hug

I am so pleased to hear that, that he'll be more comfortable will be a great relief to all of your family.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Come here mate... hug

I am so pleased to hear that, that he'll be more comfortable will be a great relief to all of your family.

Just want to echo what Tim has said.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn I'm so happy for your dad! And for you! I'm glad you too seem better! kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's great to hear, Martijn. It makes what is already a difficult time a little easier, I would assume.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    Many thanks guy. smile
    Your reactions mean the world to me. They really do.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, so relieved to hear this. I wish the greatest of turn outs for your Dad , you and your family.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This may sound daft, but for the first time in a decade I actually own a CD player. For all that time, I've listened to music either through computer speakers or headphones.

This has prompted me to remember a talent I had long since forgotten - air-conducting.
  4. A good electronic purchase.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Do you do it while Kerry is watching? biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Do you do it while Kerry is watching? biggrin

Certainly not! Not a word of it shall be spoken to her.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011 edited
    I'm shtumb! thumbsup wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    This may sound daft, but for the first time in a decade I actually own a CD player. For all that time, I've listened to music either through computer speakers or headphones.

This has prompted me to remember a talent I had long since forgotten - air-conducting.

Not really, a very good decision indeed. I got a new hi fi this year and started enjoying my dust-collecting discs too, without shuffle, without skipping through album songs, just enjoying. I found that the mp3's, ipods and whatnot, sucked the fun away as time passes (and quality of releases drops).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Not really, a very good decision indeed. I got a new hi fi this year and started enjoying my dust-collecting discs too, without shuffle, without skipping through album songs, just enjoying. I found that the mp3's, ipods and whatnot, sucked the fun away as time passes (and quality of releases drops).

punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    This would make any day better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYnahPk … ture=share

It's a cliche but they really don't make them like that anymore.
  5. Just happened to come across a "grey blob" in the garden last night about 11.30 as I was checking out the kitchen window. Turned out to be a badger snuffling about eating the seeds/nuts that had fallen from the feeders.

Anne, Rachel and I spent 20 minutes watching from the conservatory in our PJs as the badger foraged only 15 feet away!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I saw a badger last week - in fact I almost ran it over - I think it may have been the first one I'd ever seen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just happened to come across a "grey blob" in the garden last night about 11.30 as I was checking out the kitchen window. Turned out to be a badger snuffling about eating the seeds/nuts that had fallen from the feeders.

Anne, Rachel and I spent 20 minutes watching from the conservatory in our PJs as the badger foraged only 15 feet away!

I think that is something special, it put a smile on my face thinking about it. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn how's your dad doing?
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  6. Two badgers in the garden tonight - same time as last night. One of them was huge and when it walked past just inches away you could actually hear the footfalls on the stone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011 edited
    It's funny, we are kind of having a Matt Damon themed week watching movies. Then yesterday on TV we saw that piece of interview where he is defending teachers at an event about education!

http://youtu.be/WFHJkvEwyhk

Truely heartwarming for me. Love that guy!
    Apparently he cares about education a lot and admires teachers for what they do.

Speech: http://youtu.be/HqOub-heGQc
  7. Just spent an enjoyable day at RSPB Conwy bird reserve celebrating 100 years of RSPB Cymru. Went on a guided walk around the reserve lead by Welsh broadcaster Iolo Williams (who is a nice and knowledgeable guy). Also caught up with The Biggest Twitch's Alan Davies (whose book on breaking the record of number of birds seen in one year).

Back there again tomorrow to see what's about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Just spent an enjoyable day at RSPB Conwy bird reserve celebrating 100 years of RSPB Cymru. Went on a guided walk around the reserve lead by Welsh broadcaster Iolo Williams (who is a nice and knowledgeable guy). Also caught up with The Biggest Twitch's Alan Davies (whose book on breaking the record of number of birds seen in one year).

Back there again tomorrow to see what's about.

I don't understand a single word you said, but I'm sure it was nice! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Do you not follow ANY of my posts? wink

Following me on Twitter/Facebook would probably help too! wink
  9. Since I have some income from my writing I have to fill out a tax form. I decided to have an accountant do my tax returns so a few weeks ago I handed over all my relevant paperwork and asked them to fill out the forms and to submit the form.

I had a letter from them and, fearing the worst, I looked at the details to see how much I owed. And I was pleasantly surprised to see that my accountant thinks they actually owe me money!

The money I owe in tax for the money I brought in is less than the money I paid in tax for the proportion of the year I was in employment.

But the money I am owed is likely to cover the amount charged by the accountant! So it all events itself out.