• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009
    William wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    My review of Up! on my blog - http://the-soundtracker.blogspot.com/20 … chino.html

It's one of my first attempts at a review so please tell me your ideas and suggestions for improvement!

Nice! beer

Thanks! smile
  1. Martijn wrote
    OK, HOW is it that even though I remain less than impressed with Giacchino's Star Trek as a score, I keep humming that little motif for days on end now?

See.
    That's why I am so frustrated with the man: I have always thought that the next Raider's March or Princess Leia's Theme would come from him...but rather than composing a full-blown explosive, classic theme in classic concert arrangement, he keeps on being pigeonholed into these three-note motifs.
    It's driving me barmy!
    crazy

Give the man time to grow. I don't think young Williams is nearly as fantastic as middle-aged Williams. So Mr. Giacchino still has time to become the next full-blown genius. And he already composed stuff that is legendary.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Long lined melody is one of those things people tend to either have a knack for (Williams, Delerue, Barry, Horner) or not. Of Giacchino's themes to date, the RATATOUILLE love theme shows that there is potential there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Long lined melody is one of those things people tend to either have a knack for (Williams, Delerue, Barry, Horner) or not. Of Giacchino's themes to date, the RATATOUILLE love theme shows that there is potential there.

VERY CORRECT. All the essence of debates around Giacchino's prospect and graces, or not, circles around that central point.

I'd add PHILIPPE ROMBI to the list as well, and of course Alexandre Desplat. I have difficulties spotting other young and well-known film composers working today which would rank in the same category.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Definitely Rombi, and to an extent, Desplat (who has as many motifs as he has 4-8 bar themes).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    I have always thought that the next Raider's March or Princess Leia's Theme would come from him

Never been easy with this kind of expectation. If we expect -or hope- Giacchino to come up with the next Raider's March, what were fans expecting before there was John Williams? The next King Kong? The next Sea Hawk? The next Psycho? (Of which there are a few on this forum.)

I know what you mean, you're looking for the next Big Memorable Theme™, but I think it's unfair to pin our hopes on Giacchino for this - indeed, what composer is it fair to pin on? I actually believe his most memorable theme so far is The Incredibles. There's something about 60s style brassy/jazzy film music that sticks with you!

I very much doubt we'll ever get a composer who will create as many popular and memorable themes as John Williams. Though of course I remain hopeful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, as we talked about before via Michael's lead, Michael Giacchino is one of the few to do it, in the same essence, in the same philosophy of 4-8 bar long actual themes; it might not exactly be the next John Williams-esque theme, but why does it have to be? Like every good composer, Giacchino also has his own musical style and identity and i think he moved past the point when he was side-quoting / was directly influenced by Williams in the beginnings of his career.

As for the before JOHN WILLIAMS era, people didn't actually have to expect anything from film music in particular 'cause with the late romantic era, Wagner and the Russian romantics, they were already deep into brilliance wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh gee, I was only referencing Williams because it was the first thing in my head (and because some of Giacchino's early action writing is decidedly Williams-esque).

I don't particularly care in which style it is...I just want GRAND, ORCHESTRAL THEMES.
    Preferably more than one a score, and preferably in a concert hall arrangement.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009 edited
    Well, has it occurred to anyone that MANY FEW to NONE films that require GRAND, ORCHESTRAL THEMES in the old lush way are actually being made in Hollywood these days?

The last film that COULD have benefited from such a score that i recall was AUSTRALIA, which was "gifted" by the usual solution of the auto-pilot score that references / steals from previous hits of the past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    confused

A grand theme doesn't necessarily mean an old, lush film!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited
    A grand, orchestral theme in the proper way - to my mind, can't be standalone in a score that doesn't follow; it has to fit in a wider whole, which has to benefit from equal qualities. Directors nowadays are going through the "Mozart, too many notes my son" syndrome; they're underestimating (or are they just spot on?) the audiences' intelligence and don't want to confuse them with "complex" writing; see the TROY case, which is a classic mark of our times.

Plus there's a growing trend that film music should follow the current "hits" of the other musical genres in order to be considered up to date and cool.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009
    ....or is it todays composers just don't have the talent!? devil
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, it applies to most; but there are bright exceptions. I think it doesn't strictly begin and end at composers anymore these days; studio execs, producers, the media and trends form a large part of what people (esp. the paying audience which would be the cinema-going teens) THINK they want to hear and see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Oh gee, I was only referencing Williams because it was the first thing in my head (and because some of Giacchino's early action writing is decidedly Williams-esque).

I don't particularly care in which style it is...I just want GRAND, ORCHESTRAL THEMES.
    Preferably more than one a score, and preferably in a concert hall arrangement.

Yes, I got that. But to say 'the next Raider's March' is still a little misleading, or perhaps even a poor choice of words. I know exactly what you mean, but Giacchino is whatever Giacchino is (as horribly vague as that sounds). I hope for those Big Memorable Themes™ too, but I'm not holding my breath. We're not living in a time that seems to call for such themes*... I mean, when was the last truly popular memorable theme? Lord of the Rings? Harry Potter? (And guess who composed that one! biggrin )

*come to think of it, that's a terrible choice of words. We just simply seem to be living in a time where they don't occur as often as they might have in the past. Which, incidentally, is how often I wonder?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think American Beauty is probably the last theme that gripped the public in a big way. Hardly a big bold theme though it is lovely.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I think American Beauty is probably the last theme that gripped the public in a big way. Hardly a big bold theme though it is lovely.

I agree about it being a theme that gripped the public, but not about it being the last. I think Harry Potter (and maaaybe Lord of the Rings) was the last 'in the public's consciousness' theme we had.

Pirates came sort of close as I know a LOT of people who recognise that theme. But certainly not close enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I definitely agree with you on Harry Potter and, to a lesser degree LOTR. But neither reached the popularity of American Beauty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I get the sense that most would be able to place Lord of the Rings if you were to play the Shire and Ring themes... but it still doesn't feel like it reached the level of public consciousness as, say, something like Star Wars or the Bond theme (perhaps the THE most well-known piece of film music?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    But neither reached the popularity of American Beauty.

Ah, you say that, but I wonder how many know where it's from? I've played that theme to a few people, and they say they recognize it, but they don't know what it actually is. I think most people tend to think of it as a dance track or a track from some "relaxation" album. (The remix certainly helped it become as popular as it did.)

Harry Potter on the other hand is undeniably Harry Potter, there's usually no mistaking it. Be it as popular as American Beauty or not.
  4. Steven wrote
    I mean, when was the last truly popular memorable theme? [/small]

bhangra bhangra JAI HO! bhangra bhangra
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    But neither reached the popularity of American Beauty.

Ah, you say that, but I wonder how many know where it's from? I've played that theme to a few people, and they say they recognize it, but they don't know what it actually is. I think most people tend to think of it as a dance track or a track from some "relaxation" album. (The remix certainly helped it become as popular as it did.)

Harry Potter on the other hand is undeniably Harry Potter, there's usually no mistaking it. Be it as popular as American Beauty or not.

You got me bang to rights there....touche mon capitan beer

As for Williams themes I have known people who confuse E.T. with Star Wars with Superman with Raiders dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You don't want to admit it, but the most recent big theme people recognize is POTC wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hmmm...maybe.
    I tend to go with Lord Of The Rings as well: everyone who's actually been there (so to speak) recognizes and places the theme, even my least film-minded or score-minded friends and acquaintances.

It's anyone's guess though if this'll still be the case in ten years time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    You don't want to admit it, but the most recent big theme people recognize is POTC wink

I did mention this, and I completely agree! But it's no way near as recognizable as some of the other themes we've mentioned, for example the James Bond theme. Not even Harry Potter is that recognizable to be fair!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed! I've even heard a few of my friends humming or and playing on guitar "He's A Pirate". And they're no film score fans! tongue

On the other hand I heard a LOT more people playing the James Bond and Peter Gunn theme on bass guitar.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

You are partly right but I don't know anyone personally who'd recognise it.

If somehow a worldwide opinion poll was held taking into account all ages of people then the great classics will still be the most popular themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN theme is well on its way to be ingrained in popular culture on scale with THE GODFATHER or ROCKY or even STAR WARS. Especially among the younger crowd. I like those scores (and themes), so it's no problem for me, but I can understand why more conservative film score lovers will react to that. After all, it's more prog rock than orchestral swashbuckling.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't care whether the POTC scores are popular or not, I just haven't seen ( or maybe noticed ) any evidence that it's popularity is as big as people say!?

Longevity will decide if these scores reach the memorable heights of the Bond's, Rocky, Star Wars etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    I don't care whether the POTC scores are popular or not, I just haven't seen ( or maybe noticed ) any evidence that it's popularity is as big as people say!?

All I can say is that I have seen evidence for its popularity. It's come on in bars and clubs occasionally, and people turn to me to let me know they recognize it! So that's gotta say something about its popularity.