• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009
    As I said, maybe I'm just not noticing it!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Youngsters recognize POTC instantly. As simple as that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Youngsters recognize POTC instantly. As simple as that.

Did you bug lots of "youngsters" for that information, was it really as simple as that!? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let's just say that in analogy, the amount of people from the younger generation i know who Do recognize POTC is significant; some of them will recognize POTC and then call every theme John Williams ever wrote as "Star Wars" music. Let's just say that i've had quite a few, light film music quizzes with non-film music fans on my balcony through the summers wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bars (dance versions), mobile ringtones, radio (esp. around the time of release), endless "temp tracks" on TV shows and segments...just to mention some of the places I've encountered it here in Norway. And when I was in Thailand too. And Barcelona. But maybe it's a regional thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And here, all the time; tv gossip shows and news are the main places where i here it all the time; plus in some tv shows.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interesting: in most TV shows over here I hear LOADS of Zimmer (really! To the point of utter annoyance)...but seldom, nay, indeed not EVER anything from his Pirates. confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There was actually a time where almost EVERY TV sports montage over here used the POTC theme. It even played on stadiums as the teams were entering the field.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Interesting: in most TV shows over here I hear LOADS of Zimmer (really! To the point of utter annoyance)...but seldom, nay, indeed not EVER anything from his Pirates. confused

Now THIS I totally agree on, very much the same here.
  1. I was in a club one night, and POTC came on in a beated-up version, and it was funny watching a group of average drunk population members break out in to a fight over where it came from:

One: "I'm telling you! It's DROP ZONE! That's my favourite movie."
    Two: "No f--- you! It's f---in' GLADIATOR dude!"
    Three: "Come on break it up fellas, break it up, they're all by Han-" (glassed in face)
    Four (background, yelling): "Can someone turn off that motif for the Somalis from BLACK HAWK DOWN!"

wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If Jordi was there, he'd rip the place apart!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    franz_conrad wrote
    I was in a club one night, and POTC came on in a beated-up version, and it was funny watching a group of average drunk population members break out in to a fight over where it came from:

Three: "Come on break it up fellas, break it up, they're all by Han-" (glassed in face)
    Four (background, yelling): "Can someone turn off that motif for the Somalis from BLACK HAWK DOWN!"

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

applause

Extreme sudden silence falls over the room.
    WIDE SHOT, BAR, EXT. Night.
    Cricket's chirp in the background. Pale yellow light falls through the bars windows on the parked pick-up trucks.

At the very same instant, in a blaze of splinters and shards, people are being violently thrown out through every single one of the bar's doors and windows.
    Seconds after, the roof collapses.
    Fade out.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. BTW, when we are at the Somali motif and Pirates of the Caribbean...

Am I the only person who, when hearing Swords Crossed from Curse of the Black Pearl, wonders how often do they have to reload the swords? lol
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Martijn wrote

applause

Cricket's chirp in the background. Pale yellow light falls through the bars windows on the parked pick-up trucks.

At the very same instant, in a blaze of splinters and shards, people are being violently thrown out through every single one of the bar's doors and windows.
    Fade out.

A writing team is born. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    I was in a club one night, and POTC came on in a beated-up version, and it was funny watching a group of average drunk population members break out in to a fight over where it came from:

wink

lol

I've heard "He's A Pirate" on TV quite a few times, the latest was when one comedian guy dressed as Jack Sparrow and entered the show.

But I can't count the number of times I've heard the Battle theme from Gladiator in action scenes of TV shows!! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote

applause

Fade out.

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    franz_conrad wrote

wink

applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote

wink

That's... terrible! dizzy suicide
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    franz_conrad wrote

biggrin

Quote of the day...
  4. William wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

wink

How could I forget to add:

Fifth (bartender): "It's a theme, not a bloody motif you mongrel!" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    William wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

wink

How could I forget to add:

Fifth (bartender): "It's a theme, not a bloody motif you mongrel!" biggrin

rolleyes biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited
    To mourn todays event of SWON going out of print, why not see where it all started with some of Erik's scoring session photos! cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    Roar!

Sorry, I just felt like saying that... lick
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    You certainly wouldn't be the fir- ROAR!

Dammit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    "nice to meld you" from Star Trek is a variation of Nero's theme?
  5. Maybe Spock's?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    Nautilus wrote

Yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yes.

Come again? How so? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009 edited
    So, there is a rumored Star Trek sequel planned for a 2011 release. And if J.J. Abrams is onboard, then Giacchino doubtlessly is, also. I know there are a lot of people here and out there who can't stomach Giacchino's Star Trek, say it's not like the old Star Trek scores, etc., but the fact is that this man is going to rewrite the history of Star Trek music and throw his name in the mix. Ten or twenty years from now, after a series of younger generation Star Trek movies, Giacchino will be as large a part of the franchise's music as Goldsmith. Horner's Star Trek was vastly different from Goldsmith's, but it has come to be accepted as 'Star Trek music;' why should Giacchino's music be any other way?

There have already been several different composers and scoring styles associated with the franchise, and they have all been accepted as Star Trek music. So why is it a problem to call Giacchino's music the same? Is it the fact that William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, and DeForest Kelley are not commandeering the bridge of the Enterprise? The fact that neither are Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, and Michael Dorn? I don't know, but I sense an apprehension and resent towards change... And I feel it just as much in criticism of the music as of the new cast. Just my take.