• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Tony Hinnigan (performer of various ethnic instruments on various film scores over the years) has some short and often amusing anecdotes about a lot of the films he's worked on at his website (most of which were scored by Horner).

Worth a look.

Thanks for sharing! Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2013 edited
    So. James Horner hasn't done many sequels to his own work over the course of his long career. Do you think he'll actually want to come back for all three officially announced Avatar sequels? At first I was like, I can't wait to see how Horner further develops that musical world, but then I realized I can't think of many examples of Horner developing on his own past works.

....ummm...you know, in the non-plagiaristic way tongue

So, I'm sort of afraid he'd get bored and start writing the same music over and over again.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  1. I really liked how he handled THE LEGEND OF ZORRO. He had the old themes in there, but surrounded them with a lot of great new stuff. And since it was a sequel, no one bashed him for lifting his previous themes smile Of course, since AVATAR was already a mashup of GLORY's theme and MIGHTY JOE YOUNG's orchestration, sequels to it might still get that criticism...

Speaking of stuff that AVATAR sounds like, I was listening through one of those Varese anniversary albums the other day and the theme from XENIA: WARRIOR PRINCESS came on. For the first half of it I thought I was listening to AVATAR! It sounds remarkably similar in style, and not terrible different melodically.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013
    Happy 60th birthday to James Horner!

I've finally written a review of Krull in celebration:

http://www.movie-wave.net/?p=3932
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Southall wrote

Great review of a fabulous score!
    Horners music accompagnies me (on my mobile disc player (disc man; I'm really getting old...;-)) and now on my mp3 players) since about 18 years and almoste in daily doses (not kiddin'!). Can't get enough of his music. Happy Birthday, James!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Terrific review James!
    Krull sits right along side Star Trek: The Motion Picture as my two favorite soundtracks.
    Amazing scores for a couple of not quite so amazing films ironically!
  2. Happy 60th Birthday!! It's impossible to state how much of a big deal Horner's music has been to me without sounding sentimental, so I'll just leave it at Happy Birthday.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

I gather from your marvellous and very passionate review that this is a good score then?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I gather from your marvellous and very passionate review that this is a good score then?

All right, all right: I have ordered it now.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I was never that excited about KRULL, to be honest (except for the "Firemares" track). Too much horror and sneaking-around stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I was never that excited about KRULL, to be honest (except for the "Firemares" track). Too much horror and sneaking-around stuff.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooo!! Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Booooooooooooooooooooooooo!! Hisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!! tongue

I'm with Thor on this, though lately I've thought I should give it another chance. James's review will be great reading to accompany my latest attempt.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

All right, all right: I have ordered it now.

Good man! Don't be put off by the nay-sayers, it's AWESOME!
  5. Happy Birthday, James Horner!

NP: Gayane Suite - Aram Khachaturian
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Happy Birthday, James Horner!

NP: Gayane Suite - Aram Khachaturian

smile applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

I reckon it's worth a glance...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

...not on the original 45-minute programme I don't think, just action/adventure and romance. (I don't think you'd like it anyway - too bombastic!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2013 edited
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

...not on the original 45-minute programme I don't think, just action/adventure and romance. (I don't think you'd like it anyway - too bombastic!)

I only have the Super Tracks 2CD one. It's not really the bombasticism that aggravates me here, but the horror stuff. This is old-fashioned horror film music with screaming brass and stingers and endless tenuti, and I always disliked that. The romance and adventure are few and far between. I've been meaning to check out the shorter 45-minute program, but to be honest it isn't on top of my list.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You should give it a try, you really should.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2013 edited
    Responding to several things here...

I don't think Patriot Games needed any expansion, but I'm glad to finally have the finale from Clear and Present Danger (even if it was apparently ghostwritten by Don Davis).

Krull still kicks arse, of course, but my favourite Horner scores will always be Cocoon, Aliens and Sneakers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2013
  6. New interview with Intrada Records over at a Horner fansite, along with some Horner-specific questions, and two hints at future scores from the composer, on the label:
    http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/intrad … feigelson/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  7. Great interview, thanks for sharing!

The 80s Horner score they are hinting at: Willow?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2013
    The existing Willow CD lasts longer than most planets' orbits so it would be a strange one if so.
  8. biggrin
  9. The Perfect Storm would be awesome in complete form. Better yet, how about the complete score to House of Sand and Fog?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2013
    Eh? Those two CD's are long enough. What is missing that you would want a complete release?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. There was still some good music from either film that didn't make their respective CDs. Especially Perfect Storm, which was brimming with action/suspense music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Eh? Those two CD's are long enough. What is missing that you would want a complete release?

-Erik-

'Air National Guard To The Rescue'
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Exactly!