• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009
    Braveheart is a Horner score that could do with some expansion, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Really? I think the album that was released is fine. I can think of many other scores more deserving of an expansion, Balto for example. (And by that I mean album representations. Braveheart is a masterpiece IMO, and well represented on album.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009 edited
    Why expanding scores where already a good score album exists? What about the two dozen unreleased Horner-Scores? That would make more sense IMHO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2009 edited
    Yep, the album is great. Still a complete set for that one would be nice IMO as I heard some interesting material on the "more music" set which had dialogues mixed in...

But when it comes to Horner scores my top candidates for expansion are Titanic and Balto.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Really? I think the album that was released is fine. I can think of many other scores more deserving of an expansion, Balto for example. (And by that I mean album representations. Braveheart is a masterpiece IMO, and well represented on album.)

I agree! The whole album to BRAINSTORM flows perfectly and feels complete.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, yes that too. I was referring to Braveheart though. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Well, yes that too. I was referring to Braveheart though. wink

shame I'm not wearing my reading glasses
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Antineutrino wrote
    Why expanding scores where already a good score album exists? What about the two dozen unreleased Horner-Scores? That would make more sense IMHO.

Absolutely.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Antineutrino wrote

you got a point there
    but we're getting there. In a matter of years almost everything will be released, considering Film Score Monthly, Intrada, Varese and La-La Land are giving us these unreleased beauties of the past
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

you got a point there
    but we're getting there. In a matter of years almost everything will be released, considering Film Score Monthly, Intrada, Varese and La-La Land are giving us these unreleased beauties of the past

There'll always be some unreleased scores that people want, many due to facts like they are lost / destroyed / poor quality that will never get released and then it'll be people wanting restored scores and re-recordings.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

you got a point there

There'll always be some unreleased scores that people want, many due to facts like they are lost / destroyed / poor quality that will never get released and then it'll be people wanting restored scores and re-recordings.

but it will be lesser in numbers, the unreleased gems I mean
    I think 90% of what we really want will be released
    and then re recordings can thirst our other 10%
    So I think we're safe wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

you got a point there

Oh believe it that there'll ALWAYS be someone who ISN'T happy biggrin wink
  3. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

you got a point there

Oh believe it that there'll ALWAYS be someone who ISN'T happy biggrin wink

yeah, but that's life, not just for Film Music wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sad
  4. Steven wrote
    sad

Come on Steven, you know I'm not wanking about this fact wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

But I'd still like to hear the original tracks.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Only if Lion King is released properly, I'll be happy wink biggrin
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Then, nine-times-out-of-ten, you can actually feel the virtual tumbleweed meandering aimlessly along the deserted main street.

I don't think that's limited to new scores. There's very little discussion prompted by anything I listen to unless it's a fairly popular, recent score whose composer is one of the 5-6 the average collector is interested in, and which people can sum their feelings for with an emoticon. For that reason, I practically don't post in the Now Playing thread anymore. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. Christodoulides wrote
    No, Alan, you are one of those people that never touch my nerves smile I am just wondering çause i don't see any discussions on older scores being ignored or burried or anything in that vein...in fact they're more than welcome, for 2 reasons: 1) if you delay your comments on a score, you're most likely to have formed a more coherent and spherical opinion to share which will naturally make for better discussion material and 2) most recent scores aren't really worth it, with very few exceptions.

I come to this discussion a bit late, but I do agree with Alan. With a great many scores, if you haven't formed an opinion within 48 hours of a score leaking onto the net, you can't participate in the general discussion. And when you do get around to listening to things, it's generally either underrated or overrated. You don't discover them for yourself if you've been reading the comments of others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009 edited
    That's a sad and clearly a frustrating evolution. slant
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, Alan, you are one of those people that never touch my nerves smile I am just wondering çause i don't see any discussions on older scores being ignored or burried or anything in that vein...in fact they're more than welcome, for 2 reasons: 1) if you delay your comments on a score, you're most likely to have formed a more coherent and spherical opinion to share which will naturally make for better discussion material and 2) most recent scores aren't really worth it, with very few exceptions.

I come to this discussion a bit late, but I do agree with Alan. With a great many scores, if you haven't formed an opinion within 48 hours of a score leaking onto the net, you can't participate in the general discussion. And when you do get around to listening to things, it's generally either underrated or overrated. You don't discover them for yourself if you've been reading the comments of others.

Why would anyone feel as such is what i don't understand? Yes, newer releases or recent ones get more replies usually, but i haven't actually seen too many cases f opinions being ignored 'cause they're "out-dated".
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Why would anyone feel as such is what i don't understand? Yes, newer releases or recent ones get more replies usually, but i haven't actually seen too many cases f opinions being ignored 'cause they're "out-dated".

I also agree with Michael and Alan. Most of the discussion about an album in the Now Playing thread occurs before the album has even been released. There is certainly no deliberate attempt by anyone to banish discussion of older albums - the discussion just doesn't happen because by the time someone's album has arrived in the mail, the Now Playing thread has moved on to discussion about something even newer which has been illegally downloaded by everyone. I think that's just the way of the world these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i can understand why anyone wouldn't want to review an album a month away from its release when everyone would have already listened to and formed opinions on by then, but what stops you of giving your own short opinion in the now playing thread? It's not like someone is waiting for the post in order to decide whether to buy it or not (as it would be the case with a review for instance), it's more like people who are interested in your specific opinions, despite the time-line.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2009 edited
    Well, if people start to not even care about posting something not so familiar anymore, then that is quite sad, isn't it? I'm sorry to hear that Alan, Michael and also Southall seem to have a bit this thought. I must say that some NP get tiring, but I'm a woos (Steven, go ahead).

Like I previously mentioned somewhere, I think for some scores we need a seperate topic, and put opinions in there, especially for new (and big?) releases we know will spark enough discussion to post kee it central. Now Playing should (IMO) be about having to tell something new/interesting/thought/memory/something emotional/connection/idea/why you listen to it ... or lead to discussion.

No offence to those people, but reading the 73th time about a score and adding just only one sentence is just not valuable for a forum. I like Michaels thoughts behind reasons for a theme or score, I like BhelPuri's mentioning of rare scores, I like Demetris' comments on rare beauty's, Steven's comments about scores I forgot about, Erik's NP because of his enthusiasm, Jordi's crazy thoughts, ...

This is going off topic. Should we create a new thread and fearing that it might be the first thread about actually regulating something over here?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I agree with you both. There's nothing STOPPING people from posting their thoughts. Unfortunately, it's rare that there's any particular discussion involving more than two people about any score which has been available on the torrents for more than a few days. Only the REALLY controversial ones, which might last a few days further. And I realise that I'm as much to blame as anyone (if I want to talk about something, there's no barrier to doing so!) - but I can sympathise with the views of people who buy an album on release day but still find that there were several pages of discussion about it which ended two weeks earlier, and all the people talking about it have now moved on to their next download.

Like I said - it's just the way of the world.
  8. Christodoulides wrote
    It's not like someone is waiting for the post in order to decide whether to buy it or not...

I'd like to think that someone would be swayed to buying a CD based upon something I recommended in the NP thread - and I think that it has happened a few times. And it gives me a great feeling of joy to know that someone is now listening to some music - and liking it - based upon a recommendation.

I'd like to have the time to review a whole set of CDs/scores I have that no one seems to know about - and in the past I have promised people that I would review titles - but the time just doesn't seem to be there to do them justice.

The NP thread used to be a place that would provide a place for recommending these titles. But now they're lost amongst a myriad of posts talking about the most recent unreleased or yet-to-be-released titles doing the rounds.

Bregt, all these recent posts on this topic would make an interesting topic by itself...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Why not a thread called...

"Now... Here's an interesting thing to listen to!"
  10. franz_conrad wrote
    Why not a thread called...

"Now... Here's an interesting thing to listen to!"

I thought you were posting that Intrada IS releasing Horner's Something Wicked This Way Comes!!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6145/.f
  11. Like I said at the Intrada forum, this has been a holy grail of mine since I saw the film. I LOVE this score.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  12. Justin - please report: what does it have that we haven't heard from Horner in subsequent scores?