• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Except it's really not. slant
    I HONESTLY thought it was Delerue.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote

I'm surprised they DIDN'T include it on the album. Maybe they - Intrada - will release the rejected score later down the road. Anyway, DON'T cancel your order. You are in for one helluva treat when it arrives. It's one of Horner's most accomplished and unique works.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

OK, maybe it was just funny to me (victim of many "drink and surf" errors over the years - I once ordered a CD from Intrada, then spent an hour doing the usual crap, then went and ordered exactly the same CD from SAE).

I'm a little surprised the Delerue material wasn't on the album, but I guess it's an opportunity for a (very understandable, and very welcome if it happens) "double dip" in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Drink+anything is the worst combination ever wink What did you order instead, Martijn?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Drink+anything is the worst combination ever wink What did you order instead, Martijn?

Wakey wakey D rolleyes wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Actually, I have no tolerance for standard fare "horror" scores. I hate the stuff. Closed thing I have to horror music that I really like is Harry Suckman's "Salem's Lot".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anyway, DON'T cancel your order. You are in for one helluva treat when it arrives. It's one of Horner's most accomplished and unique works.

Thanks for the feedback, Erik.
    Unfortunately too late. sad

But as I really have to watch my step financially these days it's OK.
    It's not a score I would have purchased in a hurry anyway (a Delerue is pretty much an automatic buy for me).

But when finances are a little healthier a bit later in the year, I might well order this one still on your say so. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Actually, I have no tolerance for standard fare "horror" scores. I hate the stuff. Closed thing I have to horror music that I really like is Harry Suckman's "Salem's Lot".

And that's a score that I really dislike, I'm afraid (IMO the epitome of traditional horror music). The only horror I can deal with is the romanticized versions in things like HELLRAISER, Williams' DRACULA or Marco Beltrami's stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I love Salem's Lot's main theme, but having been privy to sampling the bootleg score I can wholeheartedly attest to the fact that the rest of the score can be safely skipped without one's soundtrack-appreciating world falling asunder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Actually, I have no tolerance for standard fare "horror" scores. I hate the stuff. Closed thing I have to horror music that I really like is Harry Suckman's "Salem's Lot".

And that's a score that I really dislike, I'm afraid (IMO the epitome of traditional horror music). The only horror I can deal with is the romanticized versions in things like HELLRAISER, Williams' DRACULA or Marco Beltrami's stuff.

I think horror films have produced some very fine film music, from Psycho (is that still counted as horror?) through Alien (which I thought you liked), The Omen, Hellraiser etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    justin boggan wrote

I think horror films have produced some very fine film music, from Psycho (is that still counted as horror?) through Alien (which I thought you liked), The Omen, Hellraiser etc.

Absolutely. I just don't like listening to it on CD very often.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    I love Salem's Lot's main theme, but having been privy to sampling the bootleg score I can wholeheartedly attest to the fact that the rest of the score can be safely skipped without one's soundtrack-appreciating world falling asunder.

Agree, the theme is great ( tell me Martijn, am I the only one who thinks it sounds a bit like the theme to I' Claudius? ) , the rest is "bitty".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

I'm surprised they DIDN'T include it on the album. Maybe they - Intrada - will release the rejected score later down the road. Anyway, DON'T cancel your order. You are in for one helluva treat when it arrives. It's one of Horner's most accomplished and unique works.

-Erik-

It's strange but whenever I listen to the boot I have this annoying feeling the score doesn't do all that much to me... Maybe it's the sound quality... maybe I'm never in the mood... I'm always slightly annoyed by it. I always rate it below average. confused

I will give another open-minded listen to it.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

-Erik-

It's strange but whenever I listen to the boot I have this annoying feeling the score doesn't do all that much to me... Maybe it's the sound quality... maybe I'm never in the mood... I'm always slightly annoyed by it. I always rate it below average. confused

I will give another open-minded listen to it.

be careful bro, sound can do a lot to a listening experience.
    I never was a fan of Baby by Jerry Goldsmith, but the sound remastering did wonders for it
    who knows it can do the same on SWTWC?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2009
    So, I watched The Perfect Storm last week. Read a review of the film which said something like "the music is by Hollywood's chief plagiarist James Horner, who this time gives us a 120-minute version of Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring." And I've read similar comments on many other occasions about this score.

I like the Horner music, so I thought I'd get myself the original source, having never heard Appalachian Spring. And now I've listened to it. Can someone tell me exactly what is so similar about these two things? Aside from a passing resemblance of the more pastoral theme in Horner's score to the main repeating melodic idea of the Copland piece, I don't get it. Am I broken?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    So, I watched The Perfect Storm last week.

For the music, right? That's the only reason I can think of that anyone would watch that film.

I'm listening to Appalachian Spring now to see if there's any truth to that rather sensational statement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    So, I watched The Perfect Storm last week.

For the music, right? That's the only reason I can think of that anyone would watch that film.

I think it's reasonably entertaining in parts, and so ludicrous it does have a "so bad it's good" quality from time to time. Its best feature is undoubtedly the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The only track that resembles anything to Perfect Storm is 'Moderato, Coda'. Part of the theme does appear, but to say Horner's score is a 120-minute version of Copland's Appalachian Spring is extremely unfair.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    So, I watched The Perfect Storm last week. Read a review of the film which said something like "the music is by Hollywood's chief plagiarist James Horner, who this time gives us a 120-minute version of Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring." And I've read similar comments on many other occasions about this score.

I like the Horner music, so I thought I'd get myself the original source, having never heard Appalachian Spring. And now I've listened to it. Can someone tell me exactly what is so similar about these two things? Aside from a passing resemblance of the more pastoral theme in Horner's score to the main repeating melodic idea of the Copland piece, I don't get it. Am I broken?

Usual Horner-plagiarism-accusation exaggeration of the snobbish kind. Why do you even care wink smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Usual Horner-plagiarism-accusation exaggeration of the snobbish kind. Why do you even care wink smile

To be fair it is quite often true but on this occasion it sounds to me that the reviewer hasn't got a clue and is trying to make himself out to be something he/she is not. This person should start listening to classical music before making bold poncy statements like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Southall wrote

Not your own review, I hope?
    Otherwise:
    Am I broken?

Yes.

Apparently, by the way, Copland's Appalachian Spring is just a random name and had nothing to do with the Appalachian mountains when he wrote it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

To be fair it is quite often true but on this occasion it sounds to me that the reviewer hasn't got a clue and is trying to make himself out to be something he/she is not. This person should start listening to classical music before making bold poncy statements like that.

Some of the Horner plagiarism accusations over the years are entirely correct, and I expected this one to be, considering the number of comments I've read at FSM over the years about how it rips off Appalachian Spring. But now I wonder if it's a case of someone having originally said it shares mild similarity, and then through a process of Chinese whispers, we have ended up with all sorts of people believing it is a straight rip-off and making such claims even though they aren't at all familiar with the Copland piece.
  4. New Featurette from the Star Trek II DVD/Blue-Ray:

Composing Genesis
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&v=5bXxTGNwR2g
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009
    James Horner speaking very highly of himself again. Thing is, he's right.

His thematic approach to scoring an action scene isn't exactly pioneering or unique, but it's certainly the right way to go about it in most cases, one that he pulls off with style few others can replicate. Truly a great score.

Bloody video's out of sync though. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009
    Antineutrino wrote
    New Featurette from the Star Trek II DVD/Blue-Ray:

Composing Genesis

Much appreciated Stefan beer

The truth does Horner speak.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    New Featurette from the Star Trek II DVD/Blue-Ray:

Composing Genesis

Much appreciated Stefan beer

The truth does Horner speak.

Thanks from me, too.

A great score - sweeping, exciting battle sequences & and a lump-in-the-throat finale - and nice to hear some of the ideas behind things.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    James Horner is another brilliant composer from Hollywood film industry. He composed many brilliant scores, at the same time, he has one big drawback is "Self Plagiarism". This makes many people irritate and wonder why can't he come up with some new cues. Despite that, i personally admire his some of his works:

1. Titanic - This is the first score album of James Horner i bought. This score introduced James Horner to me. I really don't know how many times i have listened to this score. Still its my favorite score.

2. Braveheart - I say this is the best score ever composed by James Horner. In fact, i don't have words to describe about it. Its simply awesome, wonderful and haunting score i have ever had.

3. Aliens - This is another best work of Horner, especially for horror films. I always admire the collaboration between Cameron and Horner. They both are genius.

4. Willow - This is my favorite fantasy/adventure score of Horner.

5. Casper - This is best comedy/fantasy score of Horner

6. Apocalypto - Many people may rise their eyebrows after seeing this score on my favorite list. I personally don't hear or see any odd stuff in this score. In fact, score really worked very well in the movie. But when it comes to CD, you need to pay complete attention and concentration, then most probably you will appreciate this score.

7. The Spitfire Grill - This is very heart touching and melodious score.

8. Bicentennial Man - This is my favorite score despite some flaws in this score. You would have certainly noticed that there were some moments in this score, you find "Self Plagiarism", where he took certain cues from "Braveheart". Its quite repetitive. Apart from that, score is quite enjoyable.

9. Courage Under Fire - This is one of the best scores for Drama/War genre.

10. Glory - This is one of the best scores for Historical drama genre.

In fact, there are many scores to say but above are my top ten scores of Horner. Most of you may wonder, why score like "The Spiderwick Chronicles" and "Legends of the fall" are left out? I admire "The Spiderwick Chronicles", its really superb score, but it doesn't fit into my favorite list. There were certain repetition in this score which i don't like it. Despite that i admire one particular track "Flight of the Griffin" is quite exceptional. And I find difficult to appreciate score album "Legends of the Fall", even though it has a heart touching track like "The Ludlows". Maybe i need time to appreciate this album. Overall, he is a very good composer.

I am eagerly waiting for his new venture "Avatar". Cameron and Horner collaboration really worked very well in the past. Hmmm.. my fingers are crossed..
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    And here we go again.... sleep
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Define composer? Define brilliant? biggrin