• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    Hmmm... May be after 2000 years i will give you the definition of "Composer" and "Brilliant". biggrin biggrin biggrin How is that? punk
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009 edited
    Sunil wrote
    James Horner is another brilliant composer from Hollywood film industry. He composed many brilliant scores, at the same time, he has one big drawback is "Self Plagiarism". This makes many people irritate and wonder why can't he come up with some new cues.

Really? I'll have to look into this, I've never heard any Horner scores before. Thanks for the recommendation, otherwise I might have missed it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Are you kidding? You haven't heard his earlier works? I think you are just kidding. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    Hmmm... Steven has James Horner as No.2 favourite composer in his profile. I think it's just his cat has accidentally stepped on a keyboard.
  1. Sunil wrote
    James Horner is another brilliant composer from Hollywood film industry. He composed many brilliant scores, at the same time, he has one big drawback is "Self Plagiarism". This makes many people irritate and wonder why can't he come up with some new cues. Despite that, i personally admire his some of his works:

1. Titanic - This is the first score album of James Horner i bought. This score introduced James Horner to me. I really don't know how many times i have listened to this score. Still its my favorite score.

2. Braveheart - I say this is the best score ever composed by James Horner. In fact, i don't have words to describe about it. Its simply awesome, wonderful and haunting score i have ever had.

3. Aliens - This is another best work of Horner, especially for horror films. I always admire the collaboration between Cameron and Horner. They both are genius.

4. Willow - This is my favorite fantasy/adventure score of Horner.

5. Casper - This is best comedy/fantasy score of Horner

I totally agree on your top 5. But I would place Braveheart at number 1 and the score that started it for me is Aliens, it's my favourite movie of all time.

And no Legends of the Fall? Man it's one of the most spine-tingling beautiful pieces of music he's ever done. I love it to death. And what about the mighty KRULL?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. The first time I noticed the name of Horner was when they hired this totally unknown guy to replace the almighty Goldsmith on Star Trek II. I was furious.

The rest is history.

Star Trek II will probably be my most favourite Horner score ever, because that´s where he laid his groundwork for everything that came after. That and Krull, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    The first time I noticed the name of Horner was when they hired this totally unknown guy to replace the almighty Goldsmith on Star Trek II. I was furious.

Actually, the production wanted Jerry but they couldn't him therefore the cheaper and relatively unknown Horner was brought on board.

BTW, the ground work you speak off is first heard in low budget Corman productions... especially Battle Beyond The Stars.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    The first time I noticed the name of Horner was when they hired this totally unknown guy to replace the almighty Goldsmith on Star Trek II. I was furious.

Actually, the production wanted Jerry but they couldn't him therefore the cheaper and relatively unknown Horner was brought on board.

So... they did replace him. Eventually.

BTW, the ground work you speak off is first heard in low budget Corman productions... especially Battle Beyond The Stars.

Sorry, but BBTS is a Bernstein/Goldsmith rip-off. The main theme is true Horner, yes, but first of all, the orchestra is obviously unable to deliver what he had in mind, and second, beyond that fabulous main theme, he relied too much on things others did before to really call this score as a whole a personal ground work. You can recognise him, but it´s only later, in scores like ST II and Krull, where he found his identity, took a breath, and plunged deep into it.

IMHO, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

So... they did replace him. Eventually.

The way you state it is as if Goldsmith WAS hired then let go and replaced by Horner. That's not the case. Goldsmith was NEVER part of the Star Trek II production.

Erik Woods wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Sorry, but BBTS is a Bernstein/Goldsmith rip-off. The main theme is true Horner, yes, but first of all, the orchestra is obviously unable to deliver what he had in mind, and second, beyond that fabulous main theme, he relied too much on things others did before to really call this score as a whole a personal ground work. You can recognise him, but it´s only later, in scores like ST II and Krull, where he found his identity, took a breath, and plunged deep into it.

IMHO, of course.

Typical Horner! wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    The way you state it is as if Goldsmith WAS hired then let go and replaced by Horner. That's not the case. Goldsmith was NEVER part of the Star Trek II production.

Those were different times, Erik. You have to keep in mind that the great movie series like the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones Trilogies were just happening to all of us, and nobody who´s in the right mind would have gotten rid of Williams after A New Hope or Raiders. Even with Superman II, Thorne had to use the Williams stuff. So when Goldsmith was hired for Star Trek - The Motion Picture, did a terrific job on it, and Trek II came along, and everyone felt like this was meant to be another fantastic series of movies (Paramount certainly tried to cash in on SW with it), it certainly was a surprise to hear that they got a different composer for Part II. So, for me who experienced the shock live and in vivid colour, it certainly felt like a replacement. That´s how I meant the remark, and that´s what it was, technically, practically, and on any other possible level. And I´m sure everyone else understood exactly what I meant.

Erik Woods wrote
    Typical Horner! wink

Well, I can´t help you with that. You have to discover enlightenment all by yourself, you know. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Those were different times, Erik. You have to keep in mind that the great movie series like the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones Trilogies were just happening to all of us, and nobody who´s in the right mind would have gotten rid of Williams after A New Hope or Raiders. Even with Superman II, Thorne had to use the Williams stuff. So when Goldsmith was hired for Star Trek - The Motion Picture, did a terrific job on it, and Trek II came along, and everyone felt like this was meant to be another fantastic series of movies (Paramount certainly tried to cash in on SW with it), it certainly was a surprise to hear that they got a different composer for Part II. So, for me who experienced the shock live and in vivid colour, it certainly felt like a replacement. That´s how I meant the remark, and that´s what it was, technically, practically, and on any other possible level. And I´m sure everyone else understood exactly what I meant.

The thing with Star Trek II was that the studio was basically starting over... almost completely ignoring what had happened in The Motion Picture. New director, new production crew, new sets, new uniforms, new EVERYTHING. Star Trek II was a new beginning and it almost seemed right that they started a new with the music as well. Look, I too wish Goldsmith had stayed on board with that iconic theme but Star Trek I to II was not like Star Wars to Empire or Superman I to II. Trek I and II don't share the same story arc.

Actually, if you want to point out one of the series BIGGEST mistakes, it was ignoring Horner's material completely in Star Trek IV when THAT film was actually the final film in a trilogy of Star Trek motion pictures.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was around at the same time and I was very disappointed to find out Goldsmith wouldn't be scoring the 2nd Trek film, however, I was quite excited by the prospect of James Horner after hearing his score for Battle Beyond The Stars I had a feeling he would deliver and I was right, it totally blew me away. Erik hit the nail on the head, Trek IV would have benefitted greatly from Horner, it would have added the coherancy it lacked.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sunil wrote
    Are you kidding? You haven't heard his earlier works? I think you are just kidding. biggrin

Can't get anything past you can I?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If such a thing as reincarnation could be, then Steven will come back as a Gorgon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I was around at the same time and I was very disappointed to find out Goldsmith wouldn't be scoring the 2nd Trek film, however, I was quite excited by the prospect of James Horner after hearing his score for Battle Beyond The Stars I had a feeling he would deliver and I was right, it totally blew me away. Erik hit the nail on the head, Trek IV would have benefitted greatly from Horner, it would have added the coherancy it lacked.

To be honest I've never felt like this. I think Rosenman's score is fine - I can almost guarantee I would prefer a Horner score, but it hasn't been a problem for me. I know that in theory numbers 2, 3 and 4 form a "trilogy" but there isn't really a huge story continuation from 3 to 4 - it goes off in a very different direction! To repeat Erik's observation above - it's not like going from Star Wars to Empire Strikes Back.
  3. Actually, Meyer wanted Miklós Rózsa. But that obviously didn't happen (for what ever reason).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Which reminds me that Meyer wanted the original Holst for Trek VI, but Eidelman proved to him he could do a great variation. Which is perfect for this movie, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    Actually, Meyer wanted Miklós Rózsa. But that obviously didn't happen (for what ever reason).

Again... money.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    Actually, Meyer wanted Miklós Rózsa. But that obviously didn't happen (for what ever reason).

I didn't know that? Can you remember the source of that info?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    What exactly is the Four Note Danger Motif™? Could someone please post an MP3? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009 edited
    So far I only have three Horner scores: The Spiderwick Chronicles, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and Titanic. As far as I can recall, I didn't much care for The Spiderwick Chronicles, but loved the other two. Any other recommendations?
  4. "Something wicked This Way Comes"
    "The Journey of Natty Gann"
    (I[m assuming Intrada will crank this out before year's end)
    "Willow"
    "Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan"

IF you don't mind the lifts, you might enjoy "Bicentennial Man". Same goes for "The Rocketeer".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    justin boggan wrote
    "Something wicked This Way Comes"
    "The Journey of Natty Gann"
    (I[m assuming Intrada will crank this out before year's end)
    "Willow"
    "Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan"

IF you don't mind the lifts, you might enjoy "Bicentennial Man". Same goes for "The Rocketeer".

Thanks; I'll check these out! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Same goes for "The Rocketeer".

THIS. Oh my God, THIS.
  5. People rant and rave about Star Trek 3, but I find myself only liking two cues from the score. This is one of them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s5lQ-bGe6c
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote
    So far I only have three Horner scores: The Spiderwick Chronicles, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and Titanic. As far as I can recall, I didn't much care for The Spiderwick Chronicles, but loved the other two. Any other recommendations?

KRULL

BRAINSTORM

ALIENS

BRAVEHEART

THE PERFECT STORM

WILLOW

STAR TREK III : THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK

A BEAUTIFUL MIND

APOLLO 13

COCOON

....and I'm sure I'll be brought up on a few I've missed!?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    People rant and rave about Star Trek 3, but I find myself only liking two cues from the score. This is one of them:

Ahhhhh!!!! A clip from Star Trek The Motionless Picture!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    People rant and rave about Star Trek 3, but I find myself only liking two cues from the score. This is one of them:

Ahhhhh!!!! A clip from Star Trek The Motionless Picture!

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Its strange that no one have talked about his "Field of Dreams", in fact, i haven't heard this score, but i just studied the review, they said it was one of the best works of Horner. What's your opinion on this score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    justin boggan wrote

I didn't know that? Can you remember the source of that info?

It was mentioned in Jeff Bond's The Music of Star Trek book.

-Erik-